By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Versaboss

Here is a list of all the postings Versaboss has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What did you do today? (2014)
22/04/2014 23:52:51

Well, last week a box landed on my doorsteps, containing 20 different threading inserts. They came from a tooling firm not too far away, and I am (or was, mostly) a very small customer there. So they wanted me to test these 20 inserts, on steel and stainless steel, and I should give my thoughts about their quality. Steep task, given that I never used threading inserts before. But.they wanted that all be done by the same person and with the same procedure for all.

img_20140422_202055 (medium).jpg

First problem I saw: according to the catalog these chips need high speed, not the manual handle in the spindle end I usually use for threading. I had a length of 26 mm free cutting steel around, and for this the speed of 1200 rpm on my lathe would be perfect: But I can't stop from that in a microsecond! So first had to produce a mandrel (not a stub one!), on which the workpieces could be mounted far away from the chuck. Then preparing the workpieces, about 30 mm long, bored and reamed 12 mm. A small notch axially in the end for a positive drive - bad if they would turn on the mandrel. A pressure pad from the tailstock keeps all aligned.

img_20140422_202525 (medium).jpg

You see also a finished example here. The threads are all 1.5 mm pitch, and accidentally my leadscrew is 3 mm. So I could open the clasp nuts and bring the saddle back manually. This way the mandrel could have been shorter, but I left it as it was...

img_20140422_201117 (medium).jpg

That's how it looks installed and ready for work. F.c. steel done now; have to fetch the stainless tomorrow.

Ah - and I don't know what I should say about the quality of the threads. In my (very humble) opinion all work the same...

Greetings, HansR.

Thread: Another Rollo Elf thread
20/03/2014 21:51:07

I seem to remember that somewhere in the past I 'saved' a S-A hub with the idea to use it for a 3-speed drive. After checking the gearing ratios I came to the conclusion that the differences are much too small to be useful. Has the Rollo lathe an additional way to change speeds?

Maybe someone can tell the gearing ratios of these hubs?

Greetings, HansR.

Thread: Hand scraping
27/01/2014 20:09:13

Hi all,

in my humble attempts at scraping (2 mills, a shaper, a small lathe up to now) I always used that pulling method with a long scraper resting on the shoulder. I think I have ten times more control over the direction and length of the stroke and can use more pressure on the scraper if necessary. Although I have to say my scrapers seldom cut so nicely as demonstrated in that video!

What I don't have is a small beveled master for scraping vee ways; I'm glad having seen it can be produced with the means I have...

Regards, Hans R.

Thread: Silver steel expanding on hardening
22/01/2014 22:39:07

Get a Cermet insert and turn it down, with high rpm and fine feed.

Greetings, HansR

Thread: mini Bandsaw, or mini Scroll Saw ??
04/01/2014 11:02:04
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 03/01/2014 18:15:50:

Second Thoughts:

This video reveals some of the constructional detail of the Scheppach

It looks very flimsy: Compare those arms with the Hegner ones.

... I would look elsewhere, for a more substantial "kit of parts"

MichaelG.

Michael, as a former Hegner owner I dare to say that in no way these arms are flimsier than the Hegner arms. It seems that this saw is almost a 1:1 copy of the Hegner, although the one I owned had no variable speed.

After building the band saw from one of the first MEW issues there was not much use for the Hegner, so I sold it. Cutting metal is a very slow process with a scroll saw.

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: Motor for a Gingery shaper
26/12/2013 10:31:33
Posted by dcosta on 26/12/2013 00:04:25:

DC: I don't like Ebay. Tried once and promised never more buy through them.

DC: It's a very nice motor and it could fit nicely the shaper. But after reading "Restricted categories" under "Buying an item through Global Shiping Program" I see that only perhaps I can buy a motor from them in the desired conditions (price including transportation and import charges).

Hello Dias,

well if you have an issue with Ebay then that's your decision. But what intrigues me a bit is the remark about the Global Shipping Program. As far as I read the offer, this seller is shipping directly; I can't see a mentioning of G.P.S. The latter is a system where the seller sends his Item to a Ebay distribution center (in the U.S.) and they do (at a price I think) the final packaging and shipping. Ebay then also issues the final invoice to the buyer. Quite a complicated system; I hit on an article some days ago which I couldn't buy that way because Ebay didn't accept my address.

Greetings, and all the best in 2014

Hansrudolf

22/12/2013 23:07:58

Hello Dias,

why not Ebay?

I was looking around a bit and under AC motors I found this as first entry:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AO-SMITH-1HP-AC-MOTOR-115-208-230VAC-60-50HZ-1725RPM-FRAME-56C-/350700213358?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51a75c946e

You are lucky, they would send it to your country, but not to mine! angry Ebay devil

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: machining ''Peek'' ...and ''Carbon fibre''
13/12/2013 22:41:16

Lancelot, thank you very very much for the advice above. I was at first not very sure if that works, but took the plunge and got a 12 mm diamond core drill (from ARC, satisfied customer etc etc.). Quite cheap they are also...

Yes it works a treat. I put the rings in a jig (top and bottom plate with the 6 holes), so the drill had a bit of guidance and I could cut from both sides. Result; a clean hole, not the slightest delamination or splintering. Happy!!!

I put this here just in case someone faces the same problem.

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: So where am I going wrong
09/12/2013 22:13:30
Posted by Oompa Lumpa on 09/12/2013 20:37:50:

It's not cutting within any tolerance Ady, it's turning the screw down from 3.1mm to 2.5 mm and unable to function as a screw..

Al, yes I use cutting fluid and a Die stock holder. Rather, I hold the Die in a Die stock and then against the tailstock,

Hmm, Graham, did you forget to let the lathe running backwards for the left hand thread??? devil

Hansrudolf

Thread: FreeCad
15/11/2013 21:48:46

Hello Bob,

I had a look into this program lately and feel a bit like you. This program seems to be very capable, but the interface is a nightmare... E.G. the drawing tools (line etc.) are not active when one starts with a 'part design'. Dunno what this is called in English; my version is mixed German and English...
But I think it would be worth persevering. The possibility to extend it with Python could be interesting too.

Can you give the link for that Youtube tutorial? From the link on the start page I get nothing...

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: Drill Sharpener
10/11/2013 22:14:26

A very good drill grinder is the Vertex (possibly available from other manufacturers also) But not exactly cheap, though,,,

Vertex

A good video how to:

use it

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: New Lathe
30/10/2013 11:11:46
Posted by Dave Harding 1 on 29/10/2013 21:24:11:

..... So the moral of the story is I should not rely on the vernier gauges fitted to the lathe. I am going to mark it up so I have a starting point for future reference.

I'm glad to hear that your lathe now is turning parallel.

However, this remark above puzzles me very much. I suppose what you call 'vernier gauges' are the scale drums pn cross-slide and top-slide (and these rarely have vernier scales attached, but I don't know your lathe).

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vernier_scale, also called Nonius.

But I don't understand what you did with these scales. Did you try to somehow measure the diameter after your turning exercises, by touching the bar with the tool? As I said' I'm puzzled, as I don't see what influence these scales can have on parallelism. If the scales are not precise (e,g, the tool moves more or less as what is shown), that's another problem then. But it would not influence the parallelism.

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: Mating a drillchuck to an arbor
23/10/2013 22:11:34

Don't quite understand your problem, but maybe check that the chuck also has B16 taper (and not one of the Jacobs tapers).

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: Which Aluminium grade ?
23/10/2013 10:25:47
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 23/10/2013 09:38:53:

I think this is the sort of information that MEW should publish as "Reference Cards".

Right, Michael. But the frosting on the cake would be a cross reference to more internationally used (in contrary to US practices) designations.

E.g. AlMgSi1, AlCuMgPb, AlZn5.5MgCu, AlMg4,5Mn0,7 ......

My Al provider shows the US designations (and some T numbers) only for sheet stuff.

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: machining ''Peek'' ...and ''Carbon fibre''
22/10/2013 14:07:15

Ian, I don't think punching is possible. Firstly I have not the equipment, and secondly the holes go through Aluminium also.

That's what I want to make (now follows that terrible picture-inserting-horror):

Not ok; camera symbol did nothing. Again:

y7mjrjih.jpg

Strange, second try seems to be successful. oh yeah...

Greetings, Hansrudolf

21/10/2013 23:01:53
Posted by John Stevenson on 13/10/2013 15:35:09:

Carbon fibre is insanely abrasive even for carbide cutters.

i have had decent success with the rotary rasp type tooth form in carbide but you do have to factor in tooling costs at about x4 or x6 of normal machining.

Hello John,

I hope you are still around...

I am very much interested what form of rotary rasp cutter you used for carbon fibre. I have to do a couple of hundred holes of 12 mm diameter, in 2 mm CF. The holes should be as clean as possible, with no splintering or delaminating. I used before a 12 mm carbide endmill, but had to feed down extremely slooow...

Maybe your usage was for side cutting only with these rasps?

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: I need to buy a Slitting Saw
19/10/2013 22:27:21

Clive said all and more what I also would have said (maybe using less words wink ) But one thing I want to add nonetheless.

The 'nut type' can be used in a horizontal mill (or with tailstock support in the lathe), because they (should) have a center on the free end. The 'screw type' surely will miss this center!

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: #209 - new look
19/10/2013 22:11:50

MEW 209 landed in my letterbox today. Those which also got it up to now will see it's got a 'new look'. I'm not too sure if it is better or worse, others will perhaps express their judgment better than I can. So who really needs 1 and a half page of contents?

But that's not my most important concern. What I really miss is the yellow issue number in the upper left corner of the front page. How can we pull out a certain issue from a large stack when the issue number is hidden somewhere on the right margin of the page? This change is a big no-no, my dear Designer!

Greetings, Hansrudolf

(bold and cursive seems not to work today sad

Thread: Useful lathe accessories
16/10/2013 22:19:35
Posted by Stub Mandrel on 16/10/2013 21:03:00:

> from an ally record deck turntable

Heretic!

Neil

<Vinyl addict>

Almost feared you are the guy nicknaming himself "vynuhl.addict" , over on DIYAudio forum. But you are not from Canada, are you? laugh

Greetings, Hansrudolf (another v.a.)

Thread: Whats my knob for? (Boley Beginner!)
14/10/2013 11:15:09

Maybe not every, but most lathes have something to lock the spindle. If you could do a good picture of the left side of the headstock, then maybe someone could help you. The left side is the traditional place to search what you seem to miss.

Greetings,

Hansrudolf

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
EngineDIY
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest