By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Versaboss

Here is a list of all the postings Versaboss has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: turning tungsten
18/07/2014 21:55:57
Posted by Roderick Jenkins on 12/07/2014 21:28:13:

You're very welcome. If anybody has a source of heavy metal bar in small quantities I'd be glad to know of it. It's very good for balancing model i.c. engine crankshafts. 1/4", 6mm, 3/8" or 8mm would all be useful.

Rod,

that's not too difficult. Over the big water they indulge in a strange sport called Pinewood Derby racing. This has developed into a hi-tech affair, and so they use Tungsten rods and balls to put as much weight as allowed into these cars. Search for Pinewood, and you will see it all.

I also bought some small off cuts of Tungsten in 4-6 mm dia. (iirc) on this famous 4-letter auction site.

I did not any turning tests with these, but if someone asks...

Regards, HansR.

Thread: Which drill chuck to use for a Sieg C2 lathe ?
20/06/2014 11:47:03

Isn't a 16 mm chuck a bit too large for a C2? My largest chuck, for a much bigger lathe, is 12 mm.

Regards, HansR.

Thread: WD40 alternative - any good?
13/06/2014 20:28:13
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 13/06/2014 19:58:53:

... But he impressed on me at an early age "WD40 is not a lubricant". ,,,,,

Neil

How true. I advise anybody who thinks that WD40 contains any kind of oil, take a sheet of white paper off your printer and put a splash of WD40 on it. It will get translucent, at least a bit. Now leave it for a day or two, and see what happens. You will not see the lightest remains, the paper is just as good and white as it was before. Repeat this with your preferred light oil and see the difference...

Before I forget: I use WD40 too, as a cleaner. For machining Aluminium I prefer the bespoke products of the trade.

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: Multifix Retracting Toolholder.
06/06/2014 20:01:24

Just use the correct name:

Brütsch-Rüegger: **LINK**

But Ifanger is also on the web:

**LINK**

Regards, Hansrudolf

Thread: white metal castings
18/05/2014 21:29:27

Speaking of White Metal - I made several efforts to obtain a small lump of bearing grade White Metal. Unfortunately all without success. maybe someone has a bit seasoning under the bench?

Also, would it be far away from the 'real' stuff to melt down a pewter mug or cup? Or getting the raw materials (Antimony, Bismuth) from Ebay is another possibility. Then one needs to get a composition...

Regards, HansR.

Thread: Perfectly ground Twist Drills every time.
09/05/2014 22:11:19

One more for the list of angles:

pin angle: 10-11° (protractor)

square bar (=vee) to vertical: 61.3° (digital gauge)

That would result in the angle vee -> pin of around 50° if my arithmetic is correct.

Clive, on my 170 mm grinder the drill touches between 1 and 2 o'clock! It would need a substantial block below the grinder to get near the center line (or the jig had to be mounted lower than the grinder).

Regards, HansR.

Thread: What did you do today? (2014)
09/05/2014 21:51:56

Machined some parts for the locking mechanism for the new points (switches) we build in the club. Stainless steel, 3 mm. Then discovered that I drilled a 4 mm hole in the wrong position angry crying. 10 pieces!

Thinking about welding them up (stainless rod) and redo, right this time. What do you think, any chance?

Regards, HansR.

Thread: Perfectly ground Twist Drills every time.
05/05/2014 22:31:52

Many thanks Graham, now all is clear!

Well, maybe not - could it be that different species of these jigs exist? As I have other (better) means for drill grinding up to 13 mm, I don't use it often. Also the positioning lip was ground away long time ago, so setting up is more or less a matter of luck.

However, I tried it again today with a 15 mm drill. Without a wedge under the foot, and with the jig on the 59 deg. mark, I measured a tip angle of 120 deg, +/- 2 deg maybe. Due to the eyeball setup the drill cut about 0.2 mm oversize (directly into Alu and steel, without using a center drill...)

It seems what I really need is Mr. Hall's 180 deg. switchover gadget. Also a longer guide rod and something which prevents the different nuts from moving due to the vibrations.

Now I think I have stressed your patience enough,

Greetings, HansR.

05/05/2014 19:40:11
Posted by Graham Meek on 05/05/2014 13:09:28:

The reason for the wedge is,

I'm so sorry Graham, it seems I could not express clearly what I meant. I said I have no problems with the wedge - meaning I understand its purpose.

What I really don't understand is the other part, which looks like a very substantial bearing for the small vertical stem of the jig. Maybe, instead of a drawing, you could try to tell in a few words how to make it? (length, thickness, the purpose of the tangential clamp(?) screw - which part is still movable when this really iy a clamp?). In the description you wrote something about 'dialling in the eccentricity...) Is there a scale somewhere?

Oh, how difficult to express ones thoughts when one has nothing than a photo...

Greetings, HansR.

05/05/2014 10:43:45

To bring this thread back to on-topic:

Graham, would it be possible for you to produce and present a drawing of that new part on the foot of the jig (visible in pictures 2 and 4 on the first page)?

Although I have no problems with the wedge, I'm completely lost with this. Obviously I'm the only one - but that's no big news for me. laugh

I think it would be easier than waiting for the day when something shows up in MEW (Or the other one, unmentionable here...?)

Greetings, HansR.

Thread: What did you do today? (2014)
22/04/2014 23:52:51

Well, last week a box landed on my doorsteps, containing 20 different threading inserts. They came from a tooling firm not too far away, and I am (or was, mostly) a very small customer there. So they wanted me to test these 20 inserts, on steel and stainless steel, and I should give my thoughts about their quality. Steep task, given that I never used threading inserts before. But.they wanted that all be done by the same person and with the same procedure for all.

img_20140422_202055 (medium).jpg

First problem I saw: according to the catalog these chips need high speed, not the manual handle in the spindle end I usually use for threading. I had a length of 26 mm free cutting steel around, and for this the speed of 1200 rpm on my lathe would be perfect: But I can't stop from that in a microsecond! So first had to produce a mandrel (not a stub one!), on which the workpieces could be mounted far away from the chuck. Then preparing the workpieces, about 30 mm long, bored and reamed 12 mm. A small notch axially in the end for a positive drive - bad if they would turn on the mandrel. A pressure pad from the tailstock keeps all aligned.

img_20140422_202525 (medium).jpg

You see also a finished example here. The threads are all 1.5 mm pitch, and accidentally my leadscrew is 3 mm. So I could open the clasp nuts and bring the saddle back manually. This way the mandrel could have been shorter, but I left it as it was...

img_20140422_201117 (medium).jpg

That's how it looks installed and ready for work. F.c. steel done now; have to fetch the stainless tomorrow.

Ah - and I don't know what I should say about the quality of the threads. In my (very humble) opinion all work the same...

Greetings, HansR.

Thread: Another Rollo Elf thread
20/03/2014 21:51:07

I seem to remember that somewhere in the past I 'saved' a S-A hub with the idea to use it for a 3-speed drive. After checking the gearing ratios I came to the conclusion that the differences are much too small to be useful. Has the Rollo lathe an additional way to change speeds?

Maybe someone can tell the gearing ratios of these hubs?

Greetings, HansR.

Thread: Hand scraping
27/01/2014 20:09:13

Hi all,

in my humble attempts at scraping (2 mills, a shaper, a small lathe up to now) I always used that pulling method with a long scraper resting on the shoulder. I think I have ten times more control over the direction and length of the stroke and can use more pressure on the scraper if necessary. Although I have to say my scrapers seldom cut so nicely as demonstrated in that video!

What I don't have is a small beveled master for scraping vee ways; I'm glad having seen it can be produced with the means I have...

Regards, Hans R.

Thread: Silver steel expanding on hardening
22/01/2014 22:39:07

Get a Cermet insert and turn it down, with high rpm and fine feed.

Greetings, HansR

Thread: mini Bandsaw, or mini Scroll Saw ??
04/01/2014 11:02:04
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 03/01/2014 18:15:50:

Second Thoughts:

This video reveals some of the constructional detail of the Scheppach

It looks very flimsy: Compare those arms with the Hegner ones.

... I would look elsewhere, for a more substantial "kit of parts"

MichaelG.

Michael, as a former Hegner owner I dare to say that in no way these arms are flimsier than the Hegner arms. It seems that this saw is almost a 1:1 copy of the Hegner, although the one I owned had no variable speed.

After building the band saw from one of the first MEW issues there was not much use for the Hegner, so I sold it. Cutting metal is a very slow process with a scroll saw.

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: Motor for a Gingery shaper
26/12/2013 10:31:33
Posted by dcosta on 26/12/2013 00:04:25:

DC: I don't like Ebay. Tried once and promised never more buy through them.

DC: It's a very nice motor and it could fit nicely the shaper. But after reading "Restricted categories" under "Buying an item through Global Shiping Program" I see that only perhaps I can buy a motor from them in the desired conditions (price including transportation and import charges).

Hello Dias,

well if you have an issue with Ebay then that's your decision. But what intrigues me a bit is the remark about the Global Shipping Program. As far as I read the offer, this seller is shipping directly; I can't see a mentioning of G.P.S. The latter is a system where the seller sends his Item to a Ebay distribution center (in the U.S.) and they do (at a price I think) the final packaging and shipping. Ebay then also issues the final invoice to the buyer. Quite a complicated system; I hit on an article some days ago which I couldn't buy that way because Ebay didn't accept my address.

Greetings, and all the best in 2014

Hansrudolf

22/12/2013 23:07:58

Hello Dias,

why not Ebay?

I was looking around a bit and under AC motors I found this as first entry:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AO-SMITH-1HP-AC-MOTOR-115-208-230VAC-60-50HZ-1725RPM-FRAME-56C-/350700213358?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51a75c946e

You are lucky, they would send it to your country, but not to mine! angry Ebay devil

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: machining ''Peek'' ...and ''Carbon fibre''
13/12/2013 22:41:16

Lancelot, thank you very very much for the advice above. I was at first not very sure if that works, but took the plunge and got a 12 mm diamond core drill (from ARC, satisfied customer etc etc.). Quite cheap they are also...

Yes it works a treat. I put the rings in a jig (top and bottom plate with the 6 holes), so the drill had a bit of guidance and I could cut from both sides. Result; a clean hole, not the slightest delamination or splintering. Happy!!!

I put this here just in case someone faces the same problem.

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: So where am I going wrong
09/12/2013 22:13:30
Posted by Oompa Lumpa on 09/12/2013 20:37:50:

It's not cutting within any tolerance Ady, it's turning the screw down from 3.1mm to 2.5 mm and unable to function as a screw..

Al, yes I use cutting fluid and a Die stock holder. Rather, I hold the Die in a Die stock and then against the tailstock,

Hmm, Graham, did you forget to let the lathe running backwards for the left hand thread??? devil

Hansrudolf

Thread: FreeCad
15/11/2013 21:48:46

Hello Bob,

I had a look into this program lately and feel a bit like you. This program seems to be very capable, but the interface is a nightmare... E.G. the drawing tools (line etc.) are not active when one starts with a 'part design'. Dunno what this is called in English; my version is mixed German and English...
But I think it would be worth persevering. The possibility to extend it with Python could be interesting too.

Can you give the link for that Youtube tutorial? From the link on the start page I get nothing...

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
cowells
Tee London LMES 6th Dec
Ausee.com.au
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest