By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Versaboss

Here is a list of all the postings Versaboss has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Copyright issues
28/05/2010 22:52:39

An amazingly sassy story !!!

Bogstandard, I am fully on your site about what you wrote in your last post.

Greetings, and keep your more-than-bog standard!

(Just realizing that this post will disappear in 69 minutes... )

Hansrudolf

Thread: Seig C1 Lathe
21/05/2010 10:11:45

Hi Terryd,

I cannot help much with your question, but I would like to take this opportunity to drop a little stone off my heart - especially so after reading your posting about arbors.

Why, oh why, insist some (many!) Brits and also Americans to call a Sieg a Seig, but never, never call a Myford a Mofyrd or a Southbend a Seuthbond??? 

G, d&r, Hansrudolf

Thread: How to drill hardened and ground steel
17/05/2010 00:24:38

John, get a 1/2" SDS drill as used in hammer drills and grind the (blunt) point to a sharp form similar to an ordinary drill. A 'green grit' wheel could possibly be good enough for that, better is a cheap Chinese diamond wheel e.g. from ARC Euro trade. 

I could drill out a solid hardened collet holder to 16 mm+ dia. to get clearance for holding longer stufff in it.

Btw TiN coated and 'cobalt' drills are not - or at least not much - harder than ordinary HSS.

This is a widely  held but wrong belief. The TiN is very hard; true, but it is only a very very thin layer. Touching a hard surface crushes that layer easily.

The 'cobalt' type is afaik only a higher quality of HSS.

Good luck! 

Hansrudolf

Thread: drill sharpening
11/05/2010 21:16:16

Hi David,

on my Meteor drill grinding machine (for small drills,  from 3 mm down) I use a primary angle between 4 and 7 deg. (4 for hard materials, 7 for soft stuff). The secondary angle is given by an end stop around 24 deg. Istr that I have seen similar values somewhere in ME (Chaddock article about drill grinding on the Quorn perhaps?), and think that a third angle would be over 40 deg. Take this with a grain of salt, maybe my memory ain't what it once was 

Hansrudolf

Thread: 2-stroke timing
07/05/2010 13:45:31

I seem to remember that on such motors the flywheel could sit on a conical part of the crankshaft, and there is a Woodruffe key on that conical area. So maybe you don't see it, unless you remove the flywheel!

As there is something wrong anyway, you cannot make it worse if you do.

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: 2 questions - threading silver steel; tightening bar in the chuck
06/05/2010 22:55:25

BIG oops Terryd, now you are talking about metres and not millimeters. Also you use the american billion, which on this side usually is called a milliard (1000 millions = 10**9)

OUR billion is 10**12

(or maybe you are American???)

I admit in speaking about things financial the differences get a bit blurred in the last years  But there is hope as long as it not gets near to a googol...

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: Anodising
04/05/2010 23:24:42

Hmm, it seems no one mentioned the fact that some aluminium alloys are 'not suitable for anodising'. I don't know what HE30 is and if it is ok or not, but know for certain that I can't use all the alloys my supplier has if the parts have to be anodised later. I suppose  this means also that they can't be coloured.

Checking the descriptions in my catalogue, I find the following alloys recommended for anodising:

AlMgSi1, AlMgSi0,5

AlMgSiPb

AlMgç,5Mn0,7

Unsuitable or bad are:

AlCuMgPb

AlCuBiPb

For some alloys I see no recommendations. It seems the alloys with copper are the bad ones.

I hope that this is of some help

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: Choice of small milling machine
02/05/2010 21:43:01

Hi David, thanks for submitting the data of the test report. Yes, I get the impression that all is ok.

As some months ago I heard about a complaint from someone about the 'strange and unequal' spindle pitches (see posting from 20.12.09) , I make my question a bit clearer:

- what are the pitches (in mm or TPI) of the x, the y and possibly also the z spindles?

Re. the backlash: either put a DTI plunger on the table, move forward to a convenient  number on the DTI and check then on the graduated scale how much you can turn back until the table starts to move again.

If you have no DTI, but the mill has a table lock, just lock the table and check again how much you can turn the handle without force.. I really hope this description is clear enough.

I hope I am right in assuming  that the new model of this mill is much better than the old one.

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: Ball Nose Mill Cutter, did I break it?
28/04/2010 22:46:31

Hmm, KWIL, what do you think the ER system was invented for? These collets are used on umpteen thousands of professional machines. In theory you may be right, but in practice that never happens, when the collet nut is closed correctly and the cutter sits completely in the collet.

The danger of the pull-out is much higher in the 'one-sided' collets like the W-types or the C-types from the U.S. 

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: Choice of small milling machine
26/04/2010 22:17:04

Hi David,

I would be very interested if you would give a short report, especially about the WM-14, when all is installed. Please check lead and backlash of the spindles, and are all the same? Did you get that famous individual test report, and what does it say? etc. etc...

In the meantime I wish a good stay in Geneva; unfortunately a bit far from me.

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: Pop-up for digital.
26/04/2010 12:01:59

Well, well, and that even before noon!!!  Congratulations!

24/04/2010 13:07:50

I can only add myself too. P.G Shaw said it before better than I can. I usually go back to the 'homepage, because there I see the full list of latest postings, and it is a nuisance now

But be honest, my dear Brits: let's give them a little time. Isn't it so that you cannot expect too much from British businesses say, between Thursday  teatime and Monday noon? 

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: 2 questions - threading silver steel; tightening bar in the chuck
15/04/2010 13:32:03

Hi AES,

It seems you have a strange problem here. Would you mind to disclose the type of lathe you have? I cannot understand that a floppy thread can give the results you describe. As soon as the nut is tightened, the stud is under tension, and all floppyness should disappear I think.

But resting the toolpost on a nut is definitely a no-no!

Boring the 19.5 mm hole - yes you should not use a drill; btw drills in this size usually have a Morse 2 shaft. But this 'cut' of  less than a thou makes me again think that something is fundamentally wrong. Even ten times as much is not a heavy cut.

But it is difficult to make a diagnosis without seeing the setup.

Material suppliers in Switzerland - well 'it depends'. Pestalozzi in Dietikon sells also really small quantities, but you should fetch it yourself in their warehouse. They deliver only by truck, and that's expensive. Now if you happen to live in Geneva then this is not a good idea I admit. The only other way I can suggest is to find a nearby mechanical shop and ask politely...

Ah, and the thread form tool? You don't have the chip inserts in mind, do you? In a lifelong time of hobby tinkering and 10 years of semi-professional machining I never felt the urge to use them. And on a 'floppy' lathe--I would know better means to burn money.  Most of my threading is done with tools made from these ubiquitous 'broken center drills' (used in a GHT retracting holder, worth its weight in gold).

Greetings, Hansrudolf  (from central Switzerland)

Thread: Newest EU legislation
01/04/2010 21:46:17

Not to mention all that CO2, specially from burning cast iron...

G, d&r... Hansrudolf

Thread: "Precision" or "does NOT do what it says on the tin"
28/03/2010 20:04:20

Hmm, did I get something wrong here too? Afaik a C type collet has a very similar form to the more usual W types in use here in my country. I was thinking that these collets are centralized by the front cone and not by the tail end ( which anyway finally is guided by the draw tube). I never checked the tail diameters of my collets (and the inside spindle dia. of the lathe), maybe I will have to do that...

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: Suggestion: Forums - to Improve Readability
24/03/2010 22:14:38

To add my little contribution to the wish list:

The logout field - worst I have ever seen !

first, on my display it almost drops out off the right border.

second, for my aging eyes black letters in a dark green field are almost invisible.

So please make it bold, larger and in a white field (and an inch more to the left) please!!!

Or inverse (white) as in the topics titles!

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: Cad for complete beginners (CAD for idiots)
20/03/2010 23:01:23

Ray, much of what I wanted to say was already mentioned. I also used a version of TurboCad (about 15 years ago) and was not happy. Maybe the newer versions have  changed a lot,  I don't know. However, for 2D CAD I would strongly suggest to have a look at AllyCad (www.allycad.com). This is the successor of ChoiceCad and DraftChoice, as mentioned by P.G. Shaw. A somewhat limited (in size of output file) version is free.

For 3D I use Alibre. I think everybody who used once a parametric program is spoiled forever. But I have to say that sometimes this program drives me nuts. To mention a few of MY troubles, e.g.:

- placing a drilled hole at an exact position is very complicated to say the least

- moving a 3D model around so it is in a meaningful orientation is trial and error and luck.

- sometimes certain operations don't work the way they are described in the tutorials, and there is no way to find out why

That said, I use it (not very often, so that might be part of my problems) and don't know of anything better. Well I never tried that DesignCad....

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: Drill chuck runout
16/03/2010 22:25:34

Robin, to be honest I don't think that's a job for a cheap drilling machine, unless you have a means to position the workpiece exactly (eg. a x-y table). I also don't think that a Jacobs chuck is much better than a Röhm, at least I suppose it is not a chuck salvaged from an old hand drill?

But to give you some constructive ideas:

- use a center drill, best a so-called NC center drill (the Slocombe (?) drills are for doing centers to put a lathe center in)

- use a self-centering drill, either a 4-facet or one with a split point. These have no chisel edge which can wander around on a flat surface, but a really sharp point in the center.

- doing it in the lathe would be a good idea also; either by first centering it in a 4-jaw (and then only releasing one jaw to change the workpiece), or mounting it with suitable shims and stops on the cross-slide.

I hope this can be helpful

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: Very basic milling questions
13/03/2010 19:23:00

It is usual practice to calculate the 'tooth load' or 'cut per tooth' when milling. Say you have a 4-tooth cutter rotating at 500 rpm, that's 2000 cuts per minute. A fine cut is maybe 0.05 mm, so you get a maximal feedrate of  2000.x 0.05 = 100 mm/min.

But I confess when milling aluminium I usually just turn the handle as fast as I can !

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: Thread notation
07/03/2010 15:00:28

KWIL, I would like very much to know which metric diameter has seven pitches as a norm or standard. Sure with your statement you don't mean that a given diameter can be threaded with any pitch your lathe is able to do; the same misuse would also be possible in the imperial system.

Btw, the common metric threads are simply called Mxx; all others are MFyy x pitch. Isn't this the same as BSW versus BSF or UNC versus UNF?

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest