By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Versaboss

Here is a list of all the postings Versaboss has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: A strange fluid
20/10/2010 23:45:28

Jeff, thanks, the message is here, but I just saw it 2 days ago. I will need some time to digest it, and I don't know when I will continue with my EDM. Anyway, the linear slides are what I also was thinking about..

Seems your system is almost an industrial one; well done that!

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: Simpler the Better -what do you use?
20/10/2010 23:26:46

Hi Martin,

thanks for the video, it makes me even more interested. Well I think it is parametric just in the sense I wrote in my first post; it is not much difference if I can edit the dimension value directly  or write the value in a special entry field!

I have to add that I own a copy of Alibre, but with certain properties of that progran I am not happy. Although the Swiss representatives are very friendly, I don't want to annoy them with my problems, and a support contract is much too expensive for a occasional user.

So maybe I will throw up these $99 ( exchange rate is very low atm.  ) in the hope that I will get a system that brings my ideas to paper much faster than Alibre. If not, I still have a fallback.

I will have a look at the vendor's video and feature list again especially to find out which operations are possible with the 3D model (Hole drilling e..g.), and how to position the model in a sensible spatial orientation

A pity they don't offer a trial version!

Many thanks, Hansrudolf

19/10/2010 23:36:45

Hi Blowlamp,

I had a short look at Viacad and after seeing the video was quite impressed. What was not really clear (or maybe I overlooked it) : is this a parametric program? What I understand about this feature is: if you draw a arbitrary line on a clean screen, then select the dimensioning tool and change the dimension of this line to the value it should have, is the line then changed to this lenght?

In the 'ordinary' CAD programs, if you want a line to be 50 mm long (or 2" for you), you have to draw the line in exactly that length..

I would really like to know which kind of program it is.

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: Tom Senior M1 chuck & collets
12/10/2010 22:33:31

Inquiring minds, you know....

I have never seen a vertical mill with a division ring on the spindle. What's the use of that?

On a lathe spindle yes, convenient when you have a topslide-mounted drilling spindle.

Or do you mean something completely different, like e.g. the angle-setting scale ?

Well, not sure if this sentence correctly expresses what I want to say, and this scale usually is not related to the spindle. But the concentrated knowledge here will put matters right I think.

Greetings, Hansrudolf

10/10/2010 23:01:28

To all those mentioning 'the Fleming machine':

Do you mean the contraption described in the booklet 'Ramah Machines Metal Disintegrator'?

A combination of a vibrating engraver and a welder 

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: Small Metric Screws
09/10/2010 23:33:49

How about German? My friend Tony does not speak English afaik, but his sons do certainly!  As I know he has customers as far away as Japan, I think he would deliver to England also 

Compared to the french supplier, his prices seem to be ok. The stainless screws are turned also.

The list is here: 

Nooo, I give up trying to use this chain button, sorry!

http://www.dampfmodellbau.ch/

You have to select  'Preislisten' (left column), then preisliste_schrauben_muttern.pdf

Greetings, Hansrudolf

16/09/2010 23:13:59

Thumbing through the MEW 168, which arrived today, I was especially interested in the article about the EDM machine. Specially so, as my incarnation of the 1995 model by R. Langlois is still unfinished under the bench. But what took my attention was that the author in several places mentions that the machine needs a dialectic fluid. As I am always a bit unsure with such unusual words, I had a look in the Encyclopaedia Britannica. A nice definition, just I don't know how to apply it to a EDM machine:

"dialectic, also called dialectics, originally a form of logical argumentation but now a philosophical concept of evolution applied to diverse fields including thought, nature, and history."

Strange, isn't it?

I still hope, if and when my machine attains a working state, a simple dielectric liquid is all it needs.

Chuckling, Hansrudolf

Thread: Dangerous Practices
15/09/2010 23:19:31

Well that ME issue finally arrived here also today, and I did the same as Mr. Cave above. We have a saying here 'I laugh a hole in my belly!' 

I wonder that nobody mentioned that in this operation maybe half a mm or if you prefer a 1/32" of that butter-soft Stuart cast iron is removed, and this possibly in 2 or 3 passes. Even if a 3-year old would have tightened the chuck, it would be sufficient for that.

I often have to face both ends of some 60 x 60 x 150 mm steel lumps, sticking almost full length out of the (4-jaw) chuck, and up to now none of them went ballistic! (no tailstock support possible).

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: Filing Machine
15/09/2010 22:59:57

Circlip, would you please be so kind and shorten your Google link, so that we all can read the complete text of the postings?!?

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: Die Filer files
06/09/2010 23:27:19

Well Mr. Bogs, I thought - erroneously as it seems - that's an easy one: Vallorbe.

http://www.vallorbe.com

But after downloading the catalogs it seems they are not listed anymore. Maybe ask Mr. Brookes at Eternal tools; he has a connection to the factory I believe.

http://www.eternaltools.com/

My Google search found lots of links to Diamond machine files...not what you need I think.

But maybe that's what is used today.

What kind of file would you need? (size, form cut).

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: Tesa "Digit Cal" caliper ( type 05.30032 ) lithium battery replacement
03/09/2010 22:58:57

Well it seems more drastically means are required. What about

a) soldering a copper wire to the rim of the battery (needs a small soldering iron, not the Sievert burner! 

b) drilling a small hole and screw in the point of a small sheet metal screw. This needs a Dremel or similar. I don't know what's inside, but at least it should not be under pressure I think.

Good luck, Hansrudolf

02/09/2010 23:19:51

Hi Dinosaur,

although I use another brand of caliper (with a 3032 battery), I understand your problem. It is sometimes difficult to remove this battery, as you say. But I am (almost!) absolutely sure that it is not necessary to disassemble the caliper.

I usually use either a pair of tweezers or one of these dentist's hooks with a very sharp point. With this it is possible to grip the rim of the battery (with quite a bit of force) and so pull it out.

You can also try if the battery moves when you (after fastening the movable slider with the thumbscrew) hit your palm CAREFULLY, but decidedly, in the right direction, and so using the laws of inertia to your favor.

I hope this helps you a bit.

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: Swing link suspension
29/08/2010 15:12:47

Could you (xtoph and/or Kerrin) please give a hint where I can find the description/plan for this 'swing link suspension'?

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: David Clark
23/08/2010 12:48:45

In case of further problems with this site, we know now the recipe how to obtain an answer in 3 minutes and 42 seconds, even on a Sunday! 

Greetings, Hansrudolf aka There

Thread: ER25 Collet quality
16/08/2010 22:45:27

Double posting --- deleted.Sorry!

Edited By Versaboss on 16/08/2010 22:46:50

16/08/2010 22:45:24

No low-tensile cheese John - serious quality stuff. Speaking as a satisfied customer here.

Btw. why do you have to make a detour to England - is it forbidden in France  to order from Hongkong? 

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: Making springs 2
15/08/2010 22:33:19

I am quite sure that 0.02" (= 0.5 mm) should be available in aeromodeller supply shops. For thinner wire I would perhaps search among guitar strings...maybe there are musicians around who know a bit more about their sizes?

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: Suds vs neat cutting oil
19/07/2010 23:47:40

At the advice from another happy user I use Rocol Ultracut 370+  soluble oil on my milling machine. No problems with bacteria; when the machine is unused for weeks a slimy skin builds up on the surface, mostly due to the slideways oil which ends in the sump. This can be removed, I don't say easily because of the sliminess; but the suds beneath seem to stay forever. Some slight coloration can appear between table and vise, but I'm not too worried about that.

And the best: I use only a feeble dilution of 3% (pls. calculate yourself if you want x : y ) My 5 L bottle seems to last forever!

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: Entering photos into a thread
16/07/2010 23:05:09

Hi Eddie,

re. the "to-be FAQ": I made (in another thread) the proposal that we should collect all these little problems and their solutions in a special thread. Many contributors have asked for a Help file from the list admins, but until now nothing happened.

There are always the same things which are unknown to new members and they have to ask.

That such a FAQ or help file is a necessity you can see in the posting above by Martin.

Greetings, Hansrudolf

16/07/2010 11:36:15

Again something for the 'to-be' (somewhere in 2020 maybe?) FAQ thread, if you would be so kind and write how you did it!  

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Edited By Versaboss on 16/07/2010 11:38:09

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
EngineDIY
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest