By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Versaboss

Here is a list of all the postings Versaboss has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: strange metal
17/03/2012 20:08:50

Yes John, I also had shafts which could be machined quite easily. When I wrote 'has to be hard' then I meant the outside. I did not mean that the bars are hard up to the center like e.g. a piece of round HSS. Possibly there are different types of that stuff. One type I remember was wrapped, or rather shrunk in a thick blue plastic 'skin' with a Swedish type description. A product from Uddeholm perhaps?

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Edited By Versaboss on 17/03/2012 20:09:14

Thread: How to repair a banjo
17/03/2012 13:11:24

Seasick Steve, I suppose.

http://youtu.be/Tq-7_OQaqCo

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: strange metal
16/03/2012 13:25:49

And WHEN it is hydraulic ram or other (hard)chromed stuff, then it does mot machine beautifully! I had to throw away a couple of these nice rods. Only an angle grinder would scratch the outside. If you consider the usage, it has to be hard!!!

Sometimes the core part is softer, as it would be if case hardened before chroming.

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: New Kid on the Block
12/03/2012 22:20:53
Posted by CoalBurner on 12/03/2012 17:31:41:

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your article in MEW 188,

Me too, as some people use to say. Except that I - even after reading the article 3 times - still do not understand it. But I know that my brain is not now as it was 50 years ago.

However, when you have a DTI and want to move a quill without depending on the scales, why not use it directly to measure the movement?

Well, I am sure someone will show me very soon where I am wrong (or daft wink ).

Btw, issue 188 arrived in Switzerland Saturday 10th of March. Speedy, isn't it? faster than for the natives it seems.

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: What type of end mill
09/03/2012 10:50:20
Posted by JasonB on 09/03/2012 07:38:13:

Have a read of this post by Bogs, it gives a good description of removing the majority of the metal and then skimming the final few thou.

So even to a capacity like Mr. Bogs is not free of doing stupid mistakes - and nobody seems to notice it. Ok I did not read all comments...

In the first 2 pictures he numbered the 4 sides of the bar (going clockwise) 1-2-4-3.

But in the next pic it suddenly is 1-3-4-2.

Quite confusing for a newbie, methinks...wink when the description tells which side has to be at which position.

Greetings, Hansrudolf

(a bit sorry about hijacking - but that's not the worst thing happening here)

Thread: 3 phase motor rotation direction
02/03/2012 23:01:05

Reading the posts above, I can agree with the arguments of both sides (although it would be interesting to know what kind of error in an installation can lead to a fire after working ok for months or years).

However, the mention of "qualified electrician" brought up in memory a post from a colleague in another forum; I hope he will not be offended when I quote here his message verbatim. Read and enjoy!

>>

Just had an interesting discussion with a Paraguayan electrician. I was commenting to him that I was re-wiring a house, and had been dismayed to find in many parts circuits consisting of a 4 square milimetre live cable, and a 2.5 sqmm neutral. His reply (translated) : "But that is normal, because after coming out of the aparatus the electricity has done work, so it is weaker and only need a smaller cable." Hope you enjoy this one as much as I did; and think that this is what he teaches to his apprentice... << "qualified" has not the same meaning everywhere...! Greetings, Hansrudolf

Edited By Mark Web Tech on 15/03/2012 10:59:21

Thread: New website editor
16/02/2012 23:03:25

Posted by dcosta on 16/02/2012 22:49:13:

You write in Your message “I was most disturbed to se Dias Costa's "two simple testes" - I thinke hes talking bo%&*$^&£.... no signal “.

Hi Dias,

I think Neil's remark was about the text you choosed for your test. I liked it wink

But why the heck did you write twice 'posted from MS Word 2003' ?

Well this is a test for the new editor also. At least quoting is working again so that I can write on the left margin without the quote bar (but I needed a couple of trials to get here).

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: Milling machine spindle run out
15/02/2012 22:58:44

Hi Dave C,

wonder how you managed to put a 1.5" bar in an ER32 collet chuck. My ER32 set only goes to 20 mm.

(also just a test for the so-called new editor, I see no differences...)

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: Announcement from Arc Euro Trade Ltd.
10/02/2012 22:34:49

Mr. Swali, why not set up a laptop at the exhibitions and help the not-so-computer-literate visitors to enter their orders on the place? Doing that your stock counters would always stay correct.

Mind you, I never will have the opportunity to check this out. I could say it's not my business...

Greetings, Hansrudolf

(from near the Alps)

Thread: cutting polycarbonate disc
08/02/2012 13:33:15

...and the Oscar goes to - Les!

Strange that one has to wade through 6 mostly off-topic answers for finding the only sensible one.

Btw, polycarbonate is neither perspex nor alu.

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: Drilling brass - seizing
01/02/2012 23:06:32
Posted by Ken Johnston on 31/01/2012 15:04:57:
Thank you one and all for your advice. Sorry I have not come back in before now. Redecorating and grandchild.
The hex bar I used was found in a yard years ago so no idea what it is. It does come off in small chips and screams as it goes, and to me, dos'nt seem as dark ? coppery as bronze or gunmetal.

[end quote] - cannot go back to the normal entry position in this d*"% editor.

Anyway - small chips, screaming, work hardening and a yellow colour almost like ordinary brass - I would bet that this is aluminium bronze then.

(I liked the line "redecorating and grandchild" - hope you did not the firstr to the second )

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: Milling - what do i need
01/02/2012 11:35:22

After seeing that someone complained - rightfully - about someone writing in another thread "course's" instead of "courses", may I take the same line and ask if Mr. Hall really uses "it's" 3 times in one sentence instead of "its"???

> It's popularity is, I feel due to it's apparent ease of use, a situation that leads to it's use > when other methods would better meet the requirements

Sorry for my complicated phrasing; writing simple is more difficult (for me) than putting the finger on blatant grammatical errors

Greeting, Hansrudolf

Thread: think tank
27/01/2012 23:56:20

A 'better' idea (well... )

Many years ago ME had cartoons of the famous 'Chuck the muddle engineer'. Always something to chuckle.

How about a column with some of the immortal literary pearls we often see here.

E.G, as seen lately:

Q: ...I broke 2 taps...the holes are through, not blind...

A: Before I begin, are your holes 'through' or 'blind'...?

Tongue firmly in cheek, Hansrudolf

Thread: Vernier vs Micrometer
27/01/2012 10:02:12

Hmm, I wonder what the subtle differences are between

- clalipers

- claipers

- clipers and

- calipers.

(N. Farr; 27. 1., 02:08 (too late or too early???) )

I only own the last type I believe, but I'm sure Wolfie would like to know also

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: Image size
24/01/2012 22:20:25

There are lots of (free) picture resizers around. For XP I use one which only needs a right-click on the picture, abd the resize order shows up in the context menu. A short Google search gave the impression that what I have works only on XP, but for 'more modern' (phew!) Windows versions there is e.g. this one:

http://imageresizer.codeplex.com/

It is quite pointless to upload large files over slow connections and leave the resizing task at the receiver's end.

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: Facing a casting in the lathe
23/01/2012 10:26:20

Peter (and Jason too I think), you seem to mistake lefthand and righthand lathe tools.

Assume the tool is mounted 90 deg. to the lathe bed, a righthand tool cuts from right to left, and a lefthand tool from left to right. If you don't believe that, look how the shanks for carbide inserts are designated (e.g. SCLCR versus SCLCL).

That said, a lefthand tool mounted parallel to the bed is ok for facing towards the center, but round-nosed tools work a treat also.

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: MEW 186 - Electronic Lathe Control
22/01/2012 12:57:01

John Stevenson wrote:

> I always lusted after [a] a screwcutting gearbox and [b ] Judy Williams from down our road.

John, I have many pictures of screwcutting gearboxes, but to better understand your disappointment, do you happen to have a picture of Judy Williams somewhere, which you could post here?

(well I found a Judith W., but you come too late in that case) :

http://www.judith-williams.at/ueber-judith.html

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: Blackgates power hacksaw drawings
25/12/2011 23:40:33

Thanks Cyril, that was a wise and much appreciated decision.

Even better and easier - use the services from TinyUrl (as I wrote here umpteen times before):

http://tinyurl.com/bufo5d6

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: Books
25/12/2011 23:29:50

Xmas - and the lost soul returns!!!

GRAHAM Meek 25/12/2011 23:17:24

Hansrudolf, (singing halleluja)

Thread: Is 0.1 deg good enough..
19/12/2011 23:22:08

Thanks Gents, I am quite happy that I agree with you. So for 'ordinary work' the alignment is not so important, but to do it according to the text books a digital level is not sensitive enough.

I want to make it clear that I'm not trying to level my lathe(s). One has no leadscrew, so it is only possible to turn as far as the topslide reaches. And the other one sits on a very massive cabinet and was most probably never removed from there since leaving the factory. But - both are levelled (with the sensitive vial level) via adjustable foots on the floor level.

Now I would hope that one of the DC's would put an explication in the next issue, as it was done about the Magnesium steel in 184.

Ah yes, leveling and levelling - separated by a common language they say...

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
EngineDIY
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest