By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Versaboss

Here is a list of all the postings Versaboss has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Haimer Measurement Probes
01/07/2012 22:15:09

Thanks Michael and Andrew, all clear now (more or less). I'm no CNC machinist,unfortunately frown

Greetings, Hansrudolf

01/07/2012 14:58:06

Hi all,

Whenever I see one of these probes like the one in Phil's link I wonder for what purpose can the vertical movement of the probe be used? Complicated sentence, but I can't formulate it better. Although I see that in the horizontal plane the instrument works as a (bulky) edge finder, I see no sense in touching a workpiece from above. Don't tell me you know then how far away the spindle is from the work, there is no absolute reference and the milling cutter does not stick out exactly the same distance as the probe ball. So I'm lost what one can do with that instrument.

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: MEW index interfaces application
28/06/2012 23:25:12

Hi Dias,

firstly: thanks for all the work you put into this.

Now where the ME index runs ok on my system, both the MEW and the E..(psst!!) index start with a Windows error: No Data Media (my translation; I see the German text). There is an exception code given, which I cannot paste here and don't want to re-write it unless really necessary.

When clicking 'continue' or 'abort' (several times) the program then starts correctly it seems.

Have others also this problem? Can you do something about that?

Many thanks, Hansrudolf

Thread: Firefly .46 crankcase
25/06/2012 11:05:06

Terry, I can't help you with a supplier, but what you need is an Aluminium alloy from the Al-Cu-Mg group, with around 4 % Copper. Other brand names are Avional, Aludur. For more informations consult Wikipedia.

The table under DIN 1725 gives the appropriate W-numbers, if these can help you...

Here it is: http://tinyurl.com/6o45y4z

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: This site and Opera.
12/06/2012 22:18:10

Very strange, Wheeltapper! I use Opera almost exclusively and have no troubles whatsoever. I only use Firefox for online banking, because (some years ago) Opera had troubles accessing my bank, and now I didn't check it with the newer versions. Opera updates sometimes without asking permission, what I detest, but you cannot have all. Now it's v. 11.64 here too.

I much prefer Opera's page layout to any other browser I tried. To be honest,hiding the bookmarks (some versions ago) was not to my liking. Also organizing them is a hassle, but I rarely have to use this 'feature'.

Greetings, Hansrudolf

P.S. written in Opera...

Thread: Meccano Model?
03/06/2012 22:09:55

Thanks gents, the 'right click' and 'open picture' works also in Opera.

Is there a chance (in England I suppose) for this car to get the legal papers and licence to run on public streets? Here - no chances for that I think.

Greetings, Hansrudolf

03/06/2012 13:36:57

Bigger pictures please, Ramon! Or such that we can enlarge them (although I don't know what enables this, but others could do it).

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: The potable engine
30/05/2012 23:22:58

This really hard drink was discovered in ME 4431, page 770. Announced even in very large letters, so it must be something good. wink

May be a bit harsh in your throat, but could be usable to flush down fish 'n' chips or haggis!

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Edited By Versaboss on 30/05/2012 23:23:38

Thread: Article submissions
20/05/2012 23:49:21
Posted by Sandy Morton on 20/05/2012 23:21:32:

Having read all of the comments on this thread but particularly those from DC I will attempt to unusbscribe from ME. I will be saddened to do this since I have about 50 years of ME in the library but I am less than happy about the way that it is going.

Bye.

I am very seriously contemplating this too - in spite of my collection going back to 1925. More and more I got the feeling that MHS is run by a bunch of tw!zz. Has anybody else also noticed that DC's writing style in his editorials is completely different to his style here? Maybe he exists in several incarnations???

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: soba centre square
19/05/2012 23:45:29

I agree... crying

To my excuse: not knowing this instrument, I thought the shiny surface was from the part which has to be marked.

Ashamedly hiding in a corner,

Hansrudolf

18/05/2012 22:13:23
Posted by David Clark 1 on 18/05/2012 16:15:57:

You should be able to file or mill that true.

If I'm not completely off my shoes, this would rather need the mysterious putting-on tool than milling something off (and making the error even larger).

But who knows, maybe I am...

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: Not sure if it is me or not!!1
18/05/2012 22:01:42

Hmm, can someone tell me what 'compatibility mode' in IE does, so I can ecentually find a similar mode in Opera and Firefox (that's what I use here, sorry no m$oft sw frown.)

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: Link system broken???
14/05/2012 12:49:24

I see in several threads that people are trying to insert a link, but instead get a blue **LINK** label which returns to a blind end in the forum.

Until this is fixed I propose that all links are given directly (http://...) and not via this silly 'superimposing a link over any arbitrary word'.

If the link is too long (longer than one line in this editor I think), use TinyUrl please!

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: Open Source models
13/05/2012 15:12:11

My Open Source definition:

When Mr. Webster publishes a crappy plan (and gets paid for it) and Mr. Jason makes the necessary corrections (for free)! devil

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: Manual for Realm-Royal 10" shaper
14/04/2012 21:53:03

Cannot help you with this John, but may I ask you politely what you expect to find in a shaper's manual what you cannot learn from having a sharp look at it?

I own a Boxford 8" and use it without any kind of manual.wink

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: What lathe to get?
13/04/2012 22:17:47

Mark Foster, would you please be so kind and upload a couple of pictures of your Leinen lathe?

I wonder if you have the same as mine.

Don't hurry with this btw, but it would be nice.

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: Copy turning
12/04/2012 20:44:33

Congratulations Nobby, it's my birthday too!!

I made myself a present of the ER32 indexing blocks (aka Stevenson Blocks) from ARC. Very nice piece of equipment....

Good work with your copy system; think I have to remember this when the need arises.

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: Which boring head should I go for?
21/03/2012 21:38:55
Posted by Graham Meek on 21/03/2012 12:40:26:

Hello Hansrudolf,

Glad you like my design, my aplologies for writing for the other mag.

The boring head problems that you are having, is the milling machine gear driven or belt driven?

Thanks Graham, no apologies, I begin to like the 'other' more and more. For me there are much more interesting articles than in ME, and I get always a bit annoyed when I see errors in almost every MEW. (I suppose DC will try to choke me for that if I were nearer wink )

The machine is a Fehlmann Picomax with variable drive via movable pulleys Much too good for me actually! 3ph as most of my machines; today 3ph current is in every house here.

I have also an Emco; the head only to be exact, mounted on a much heavier table. This was my first milling machine. I am a bit ashamed to confess I don't use it much now, expecially when I see the wonderful work you do on it. I am totally spoiled from my other machines. And it loses oil from the spindle; always a mess on the table.

Btw the GHT head I built on the Emco, and it works perfectly also on this machine. The larger head I did not try on it, I suspect it would show the same problem or even worse.

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: Making your own case hardening compound.
21/03/2012 11:16:47

Richard, I don't know if Kasenit (I still have enough for several lifetimes) contains Bariun Carbonate. But what I know is that G. Lautard recommanded it in his recipe for pack case hardening. As carbon he told to make it from walnut shells and plum/abricot/cherry stones.

Many years ago I tried to get it, but our administration chemist denied me the permission (although it is in a poison category which is not very high and I had - theoretically - the right to get it)

Seems times have changed a bit; a couple of weeks ago I discovered that now I could order it online and no-question-asked from a supplier for the ceramic hobbyists. It is used for some glazings. Rather cheap also, iirc. If soneone wants to know more, I can post the link to the (German) catalogue.

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: Which boring head should I go for?
20/03/2012 22:10:44
Posted by steamdave on 18/03/2012 19:22:16:

... and bought a Far Eastern 2" boring head. They appear to be the same whatever badge is on them. BIG mistake.

I must say I like the look of Graham's boring/facing head!

Dave, I can only endorse that. I have also one of these 2" boring heads and never could make a decent cut with it. I tried several types of tools, long or short, thicker or slender, Carbide and HSS, all to no avail. The surface always looks like cut with a cold chisel. But I cannot detect any play in the head; the slide is not loose also. I can only think that the Morse 2 shaft is not man enough.

That said. I built the GHT boring head way back 1980 I believe, and this one works like a charm in the same machine. But sometimes I could use one a number bigger. I was thinking about making the GHT somewhat larger (120 - 130%) but now our dear colleague Graham has his design (with facing capability) published in that other mag... I am very tempted!!!

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
EngineDIY
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest