By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Versaboss

Here is a list of all the postings Versaboss has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Cylinder Boring Techniques for Steam Engines
18/08/2012 22:04:35

So you are somewhere in Switzerland, buying from Mr. Burkhard?

Regarding your list of materials: stay away from St37 when you can. It's usually called 'garden fence iron' here and difficult to get a good surface finish

Also for a piston I think GG25 is possibly better suited than GGG60. The latter would be good for highly stressed machine parts (wheels, gears). It is much stronger; I think the number gives the tensile strength in kg/mm2.

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: Emco V10
17/08/2012 22:11:44

Mike, take the following with a grain of salt, but if I'm wrong surely someone will correct me...

Does this lathe have a two-speed motor? In that case you are in front of a bigger hill, as you would need an inverter with 220 V input and 380 V output, and these are a bit expensive. (old school voltage numbers here; I know today they use higher numbers, but still the same stuff comes out of the wall).

For single speed applications it's dead easy: Connect a length of 5-pole cable to the output of the inverter; mount the appropriate female connector on the other end, and put the lathe's connector (It has a piece of cable attached, hasn't it?) into that instead of the wall outlet.

Then use ONLY and ALWAYS the on/off switch on the inverter. Using the lathe swirch when the inverter is running destroys it. Don't ask, I know...sad )

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: Parting problems
15/08/2012 22:26:12

Martin, a bit off-topic I know (*), but I would be very very interested to know where you can get Magnesium (rod or tube) in sizes suitable for turning. Not even on Ebay did I find that, and there are lots of 'exotic' stuff to find there!

Greetings, Hansrudolf

(*) cough, cough, tons of articles about parting off already on the 'net, imho...

Thread: Kosy nccad8 HELP!
15/08/2012 22:11:15

Hi Jasmine, it's a shame that nobody answers you, and I admit I Too cannot help you much!

However, I had a look at the Max Computer site and there is a FAQ and a hotlinel Looking at the personal list, there is at least one English speaking lady (Mrs. Oppl) there. Didn't you get tutorials for that software?

Maybe your problems are something generic, so perhaps you could tell a bit more where your troubles lie. I see there is a demo version available for free; maybe one of the CAD gurus (I'm not, unfortunately) can try a doenload and have a look.

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: Centreing a rotery table
14/08/2012 10:27:14

Wondering that nobody mentions the 'Osborne maneuver'. Does not need a DTI, only an edge finder and somethin exactly round and of known diameter, e.g. a ring from a ball bearing. called disk in the description below. For a R.T. you can use the outside; possibly even for a chuck if you don't get in conflict with the jaw slots.

Shameless copy from the Practical Machinist forum:

> Here's the Osborne maneuver:

Measure diameter of disk carefully before starting. Put edge finder in mill.
With disk mounted on mill, line up approximately at center of disk.
Move off the left-hand edge, then move back and find the left edge of the disk with the edge finder.
From that point, move to right a distance equal to disk radius plus edge finder radius.
Move off top of disk.
Move back and pick up top edge of disk with edge finder.
Move down distance of disk radius plus edge finder radius.
Repeat above sequence for X-Y again, and you'll be very close to the center, especially if your starting point was reasonably close to the center to begin with.
You can repeat again to improve even more, but after that you probably won't gain anything. It converges pretty fast. <

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: Favourtie Finishing Tools
09/08/2012 22:52:29

Will, you can bet your last penny or cent that David did not recommend to smooth the inside of a bore with a file frown (be it a Swiss one or from somewhere else! wink )

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: bending 4mm copper tubing
09/08/2012 22:37:50
Posted by paul rayner on 09/08/2012 16:46:25:

I have read somewhere if you pack tube with dried sand and

seal the ends up you will get kink free bends, although I would

imagine in small bore pipes it may prove difficult to remove all the

sand.

Very true, Paul.

A colleague tried to make a helix coil from 10 mm copper tube. The diameter of the coil was around 50-60 mm (from memory). He tried filling with sand and was unable to remove it afterwards. Then he had a brilliant idea: he filled the tube with table salt... Just put it in a bucket of water afterwards, and away it is. At the softening temperature of copper the salt does not melt. That way he produced a perfect coil.

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: Gral Extending bed
08/08/2012 22:48:53

Ah Neil - could this be a relative of Heath Robinson? Google only found this Gerry Anderson:

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerry_Anderson

Seems he has to do something with (an) UFO. Yes, the lathe would be suitable to turn a 16" model cool!

There are also some entries for Brains, but mostly about the biological stuff.

Greetings, Hansrudolf

(btw, the manufacturer's name was Rüttner)

Thread: Charging Lithium-ion Batteries
08/08/2012 22:35:23

Just now two 12V 6.8 Ah Li-ion packages are under way from China. There are lots of single cells available, but I opted for the package because I thought that charging is not so easy. The packages come with their own charger. Oh - almost forgot - all from Ebay naturally:

http://tinyurl.com/c9jjmez

I hope this will not result in a spectacular firework!

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: Halbegger
05/08/2012 23:17:49

Posted by Stub Mandrel on 30/07/2012 20:33:00:

Dydyw I ddim yn siarad Deutch!

Sorry for sowing confusion seeds.

Hansrudoph mentioned this lathe extends to provide a gap bed of double the centre height - but I can't see how.

Neil

Some pictures are now in my album (Gral thread).

Google translator is very clever (ich verschtand nöd Walisisch, mängmol nöd emal üses Walliser Düütsch!)!

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: Colchester Bantam metric scewcutting on imperial only machine
05/08/2012 23:11:12
Posted by Andrew Johnston on 29/07/2012 22:05:09:

Hansrudolf: That sounds a very interesting lathe; any chance of posting a picture of the whole machine?

Some photos of the Gral lathe in different configurations are now in my album.

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: GHT Universal Pillar Tool
05/08/2012 22:46:55

OK, I step in:

In my example: outer rim: 12.9 mm

inner rim: 16.7 mm

table in between: 9.2 mm

I had to use the height gauge to measure these dimensions...

all approximative, these are not critical dimensions!

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: wood turning
05/08/2012 22:42:49

A coupöe of years ago I made a set of woodturning tools from an article in MEW I'm quite sure. But searching in Mr. Dias' index I could not find it.

These are made from HSS blanks and are all flat on the top. Only side/front rake, but highly polished. For what I use them (very seldom!) they work very well.

I load up a piccie in a few minutes...

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: table drive motor identification
03/08/2012 09:33:52

Fully clear that this is a DC motor; look at the == sign after the voltage values!

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: Halbegger
30/07/2012 23:06:01
Posted by Stub Mandrel on 30/07/2012 20:33:00:

Dydyw I ddim yn siarad Deutch!

Sorry for sowing confusion seeds.

Hansrudoph mentioned this lathe extends to provide a gap bed of double the centre height - but I can't see how.

Neil

I'm really sorry, but never in my life did I tell such a thing!!! Like many other people I own more than one lathe, and the one with the extendable bed is in my album together with the pic of its threading table. The name of this lathe is "Gral", not "Habegger". This latter machine also has no raising blocks (as mentioned above), although it would be quite easy to produce such things.

Unfortunately I have no good picture of the extended bed, but will try to rectify this wneb time permits.

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: Colchester Bantam metric scewcutting on imperial only machine
29/07/2012 20:28:02
Posted by Andrew Johnston on 29/07/2012 11:46:01:

May be it was assumed that one wouldn't be screw cutting small diameter metric threads? How big is the lathe?

Big danger of going off-topic here wink

However, about the small threads you are possibly right. I can imagine that other (maybe even smaller) threads couldn be done with combinations not on the table.

This lathe is very small, comparable maybe to the Myford ML10. Up to now it has not received the honour of being shown on T. Griffith's pages (my fault, really, as I wanted to do this since years), I put a picture of the headstock in my album. The lathe has the quitr unique feature of a movable2-part bed. Normally, the centre height is 100 mm. By pulling the upper part out, you can obtain a large gap with centre height 200 mm (or a much longer bed length). It has also a very clever backgear, giving a very large speed range.

It is nor very rare in Switzerlans; I know of 2 others, one of them not far from my place.

Greetings, Hansrudolf

28/07/2012 22:40:58
Posted by Andrew Johnston on 26/07/2012 13:39:55:

........ I'd be interested in seeing the other pitches.

Regards,

Andrew

Andrew, I put a photo of the threading chart in my album(s). I think when enlarging it to the max. of what this site allows, it is quite legible

Greetings, Hansrudolf

26/07/2012 21:09:30
Posted by Andrew Johnston on 26/07/2012 13:39:55:

Hansrudolf: I think you need a new calculator! The ratios I checked came out exactly, as they should be. I'd be interested in seeing the other pitches.

Regards,

Andrew

Maybe you are right about the calculator, it was a promotion gift! laugh laugh

Nonetheless, for doing the addition of my bills it is ok...

I can give the other ratios tomorrow; the table is in a bad place to read it and taking notes.

Greetings, Hansrudolf

26/07/2012 13:27:48

Hello all Mathematicians,

I have an interesting little lathe of Swiss origin, with the following details:

- no thread gearbox

- set of gears: 25 - 100 in steps of 5; 120, 127

- IMPERIAL leadscrew, 8 TPI

- only one intermediate gear stud between tumbler and leadscrew.

The setup for fine feed is: 25 - 120/30 - 127

For all metric threads the 127 stays on the leadscrew.

The table shows 19 metric pitches from 0.25 to 3.5 mm

Just a few examples:

Pitch 0.5 mm: 40 - 100/50 - 127

Pitch 1 mm: 40 - - - 127

Pitch 1.5 mm: 60 -- - 127

Pitch 2 mm: 70 - 35 /40 - 127

Pitch 3 mm: 70 - 35/60 - 127

I leave it to you to calculate errors; on the ones I checked my electronic gadget showed numbers like x.9999999

If there is interest, I can show gear combinations for the other 14 pitches too...

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: Grinding lathe tools
16/07/2012 22:27:35

If you want SHARP HSS (and inserts also) tools, there is nothing better than one of the small Diamond wheels from Eternal Tools:

**LINK**

I use the very fine D9 grit. This is only suitable for giving the razor sharp, shiny edge. For removing material a much coarser grain is necessary. I have the toolrest set to 6-7 deg. (clearance) most of the time. I make the wheel moist and clean it (often!) with a brown Scotchbrite and soap. Maybe not what E.tools write, but it works for me. This fine wheel, although not really cheap, lasts indefinitely.

I use this wheel in a (kind of) old T+C grinder, but it could easily be done in the lathe (couple of newspaper over the ways if you use water). Or cobble something together, Worden-like, with a small motor.

Just a satisfied customer...

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Warco
EngineDIY
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest