By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Versaboss

Here is a list of all the postings Versaboss has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: IXL lathe change wheels
19/09/2012 21:44:35

Hi Keith, while I cannot help you with the gears, I would advise you - in case you decide to make the gears from aluminium - to replace the gearing for the power feeds with simple vee pulleys. I did that with my lathe a long time ago; until now I broke only one of the small Bando Polyurethane v-belts. It will be a joy for your ears when the hissing sound from fast running metal gears changes to almost absolute silence

Second thought: not only for Aluminium gears, the benefit is there for steel/iron ones too!

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Edited By Versaboss on 19/09/2012 21:45:09

Thread: Small honing tools
19/09/2012 18:15:18

For such an application lapping is much easier than (real) honing. Small honing tools are available, but at a price driving water into your eyes!!! Google pemamo.

A lapping tool can even made from hard wood, and Chinese diamond pastes are cheap.

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: Drawing Projections
19/09/2012 11:59:29

The all important words 'position / positioning' were mentioned first by TerryD (17.9./13:24), then by Keith Long (17.9./15:01), then Michael Gilligan (17.9./19:34).

Words with similar meaning (e,g, Stub Mandrel: arranged) even much earlier.

Sometimes it needs a long time to sink the simplest things into our brains,

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Edited By Versaboss on 19/09/2012 11:59:48

(name correction)

Edited By Versaboss on 19/09/2012 12:00:48

16/09/2012 12:41:32

Oh well, let me try my definition.

We have two drawings of the same thingie, one to the left, the other to the right.

First angle: the picture on the right side shows the item as seen looking from left.

Third angle: the picture on the right side shows the item as seen looking from right.

In the case of that truncated cone it does not make much difference, but this also serves only to show which type of drawing it is. As was already told, in drawings of more complex nature it can make all the difference.

By the way, all drawings I get in my semi-professional work are in first angle.

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: soldering copper to steel
14/09/2012 21:59:53

It is not widely known - it seems - that an oxy-acetylene burner takes a lot of oxygen from the surrounding air. So I would be among these thinking that's a bad idea with the soldering of the tubes.

Our club has a loco with expanded tubes. For this I made already two roller expanders (the first reached the end of its travel), and although the rolling was not too easy in the confined space, all went well and the loco doing fine again.

For this tool I found a sketch in an old M.Eng; if there is interest I can dig out the issue. Maybe it's in Dias Costa's index?. There are no measures; you have to adapt the dimensions for your case. But it's not too difficult; I built it in about 4 hours (thanks to the Stevenson indexing blocks!).

Greeting, Hansrudolf

Thread: Machining graphite?
13/09/2012 12:04:10

Almost on topic question Jack: where did you buy that graphite, and in which diameter(s)? There are some sellers in the U.S., but postage is often much more than the material.

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: Cylinder Boring Techniques for Steam Engines
05/09/2012 19:37:22

Well, if you understand it THAT way what Clive wrote... he did not tell anything about fittings imho. Naturally you can use any thread you like, but you need more 'meat' in the fittings because the coarse threads are much deeper, and finally you have maybe only 3 or 4 turns in those short lengths. So take your choice. For a model with scale appearance the fittings should not be too clumsy.

The boring tool size 1 would be best for the dimensions you gave.

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: metric fine grub screws
05/09/2012 11:41:52
Posted by SLOTDRILLER on 05/09/2012 05:49:10:

Hi Garry.

I had a dig around on the net and you can get M10x 50 Socket head set screws but none state the thread pitch and it seems only in stainless .

A note for all the metrically challenged around here:

Whenever you see a thread designated Mxx it is ALWAYS the standard (coarse) pitch for that diameter. All other (fine) pitches are correctly called MFxx.

You can see that in the table above, posted by Michael.

Greetings, Hansrudolf

04/09/2012 23:13:09
Posted by Clive Hartland on 04/09/2012 22:17:43:

Will, I only use the standard series of Metric threads though I have a set of fine threads. As far as I can see there is no need to use the fine series for model work.

First thanks for the nice words Will and Clive blush !

Clive, what you write might be correct for fasteners, but not for steam fittings. Remember that the ME threads (as used on Imperial fittings) are also much finer than Whitworth!!!.

I could insert a page from the Imech Catalog, but you know it's a nuisance to insert a screenshot here sad

Greetings, Hansrudolf

(P.S.: Will, I have a 20 mm reamer...)

Thread: Scrapyard Experience
04/09/2012 22:59:13

Interesting story from Andrew. Well here it's a bit easier. I had some not so good experiences with the smaller scrap merchants around here (Method: have a look, tell a minimal amount) I went to the bigger ones. I have to say that I collected much material from a house demolition; usually I bring the steel stuff from the workshop to the communal recycling center.

So I had a trailer full of steel/iron; most weight consisting of the heater radiators. At this place the same method as Andrew described: over the weighbridge, then they lifted the whole stuff with a large magnet (lifting the trailer too in the first tries!), then to the weighbridge again and getting some cash there.

Steel price: CHF 160 per ton (I had 420 kg). Just paid a tank filling, but that's what I wanted.

1 CHF = £ 0.66 = $ 1.05 approx.

For the other stuff (at a later date) I went to a really large scrapyard. No hard hat, no red jacket, no id card necessary there. But you had to keep the eyes wide open: swarms of forklifts driving around; large trucks everywhere and railway waggons being shunted around. You park the car in a safe corner and thell the very friendly man at the weighbridge what you have. As I had 4 different materials (copper from the rain gutters, brass from faucets, aluminium as profile stuff and swarf) he directed one of the forklifts to bring 4 containers (which had their empty weight written on a plate) around the car. Stuff went into the containers and off to the weighbridge. What's your name please; the office is over there. In the office there was some busy calculations, then I signed the receipt and a nice girl handed me quite a nice pocket money.

They paid: for Copper: CHF 5.65 / kg (my first delivery a xouple of weeks ago it was around CHF 6, so the prices are quite volatile)

Brass: 3.40 / kg

Aluminium: 0.80 / kg (both swarf and large pieces the same, but treated as two articles)

Unfortunately it is not possible to raid the large heaps full of interesting stuff. I wish they would open a small shop...

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: metric fine grub screws
04/09/2012 15:47:29

Not too bad if you interpret the points sensibly, David. I think he wants them 50 mm long. However, I have never seen grub screws with fine threads. Actually having troubles to see the catalog of my usual screw suppliers, so cannot definitely say if they exist or not.sad.

Threaded rods with fine threads exist, but not finer than 1 mm pitch.

I would get a 10 x 0.75 die and thread them myself - or even on the lathe.

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: Stringer EW lathe
30/08/2012 21:42:39

7 days is far too less by a wide margin, David! Make it 70 at least!!! disgust

Greetings, Hansrudplf

27/08/2012 22:38:10
Posted by Will Robertson on 27/08/2012 19:16:06:

Hi Jason,

Thank you very much - that's exactly what I'm after

Will, I was not quite sure what you want, but stuff like that you can get almost literally just around the corner.

Have a look here. and search in the "Katalog"

Greetings, Hansrudolf

25/08/2012 23:29:17
Posted by Will Robertson on 25/08/2012 17:28:23:

Hi Hansrudolf,

I live at the North end of canton Schwytz - near kussnacht am Rigi and Luzern.

Look-a-there! Well it's Schwyz (with a long yyy), but Search.ch knows you nonetheless.Nice coincidence, just next to my garage. But the car was serviced 2 weeks ago, so no visit planned in the near future. I will send you my address via PM, so if you feel inclined you can come over for a bit of workshop talk.

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: Silver Solder Identification
25/08/2012 12:31:49

You still can get Castolin 1802 (similar to Easyflow) without problems in Switzerland. But the German site of Castolin does not mention it...

Greetings, Hansrudolf

25/08/2012 12:31:46

You still can get Castolin 1802 (similar to Easyflow) without problems in Switzerland. But the German site of Castolin does not mention it...

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: Sulphuric acid
25/08/2012 12:19:56

Well, well Fizzy, don't exaggerate! I handled 98% sulfuric acid (in a glass bottle) when I was less than 14 years old, and I'm nearing 70 now. I don't think the small boo-boos I suffer now are reminiscences of the couple of skin burns I got from that stuff.

SpeedyBuilder, it is a long time wish of me to make a visit in one of these French shops. Unfortunately I don't know any names, and cannot raid all possible shops in a reasonable time. So I would be pleased to learn some (chain shop?) names to be able to make a direct jump. It is quite well known that all kind of interesting stuff is still available there.

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: Ring making ideas
23/08/2012 21:52:47
Posted by Andyf on 23/08/2012 16:48:45:

No, but here's a Russian way of doing it on YouTube.

All you need is a lathe made in Moscow from old T34 tank parts smiley

Andy

Brilliant; could possibly scaled down for the heavier home shop lathes.

But the method here I find even better: Bruteforce!

Greeetings, Hansrudolf

20/08/2012 22:02:18
Posted by Will Robertson on 19/08/2012 17:51:28:

Hi Hansrudolf,

>So you are somewhere in Switzerland, buying from Mr. Burkhard?

I think so -

Well I really hope you know where you hang your hat...wink

Yes I know my question was a bit awkwardly formulated. We foreigners don't know every trick, sorry...

How do you like:

According to the fact that you buy from Me. B, I suppose you live somewhere in Switzerland, is it a secret whereabouts?

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Thread: why do I keep snapping drills
20/08/2012 21:53:24

Others said it before but I'm sure the problem is your drills. I just drilled 300 axial holes of 1.5 mm in stainless steel screws; about 11 mm deep, all with the same drill (with a couple of regrinds when the drill starts to squeal, though). But I had to try a couple of different drills before I found one suitable for this task. It's not one from China! enlightened (well I think...)

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
EngineDIY
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest