By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Versaboss

Here is a list of all the postings Versaboss has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Wire wicks
17/01/2022 22:29:56

They are also used on the Mikron F75 milling machine.

F75

Although I never found out how the vertical head is oiled.I think mine looked a bit different from the picture at Tony's.

Used grease iirc, but I did not know better back then 54 years ago.

Regards,
Hans

Thread: Solid Edge Community Edn. - Gen. Qs. Thereof
03/01/2022 22:20:37

Oh well - this thread lingers around now over 5 pages, and going back a year or so there are several others under the Turbo CAD title. So, after long and hard thinking, I want to present my personal opinion about these problems.
First question: why is it so hard to learn CAD? I think it has a lot do do with the terrifying not ergonomic and unsightly user interfaces in most of these programs.
I want to show that with some examples. I looked at Jason's video on page 4, and enlarged it as far as I could. In the tool bar I counted about 60 icons or tools, maybe some more. The enlarged picture is a bit hazy. This is Alibre, everybody here knows what Jason uses.
Then I tried the same with Solid edge and Onshape. About the latter I will tell you more in a moment.
On Solid edge I counted about 80 Icons - and now the crux of this. My monitor is about 35 cm wide. But on this size I have to use a loupe to see the tools large enough.
Onshape has in the sketch mode about 24 icons/tools. and in the 3D mode about 27. All black on white, no fancy colors.

Solid edge:

sedge.jpg

Onshape sketch

onshapesketch.jpg

Onshape 3D

onshape.jpg

So, for heavens sake, why is no one (and especially Mr Graham) trying that program. It costs nothing more than filling out a registry form, runs in any browser (read no special computer resources needed) and makes very nice workshop drawings.
Now I hear the howling: it is in THE CLOUD!!! Yes, what's the problem I ask. This forum here is from the user's viewpoint also in the cloud. And the drawings become PUBLIC!!! Can you imagine how many such public drawings exist. Say 100000 users, each 10 documents, that's already a million. And I remember very well the beginnings of Alibre, then called Xcad, and they promised the first 100000 people would get it for free. I was in the 90thousends, and I got it! What I mean is that an estimate of 100000 users is possibly much too small. Further, there is no search function, and you can give a name which means nothing , should someone see it.
Btw. Onshape has a forum, and when I had some problems I got very competent answers, from users and even from the developers.
And one more thought, a bit naughty but necessary: why are people afraid of the cloud, but use their ffull name in a forum with worldwide access?
Ok, this entry was very hard work for me, so I stop better here and wish all a Happy New Year

Hans

Thread: Maths problem just for fun
30/12/2021 16:55:46

Maybe you find this one interesting too, I found it in a magazine some days ago, and to be honest I could not find the answer, except perhaps if I would unearth some long gone geometry formulas. But from the type of mag I suspect one should find the answer 'just by thinking hard' - if you know what I mean.

The question is: how much larger is the area of the outer triangle than the area of the small one.
The triangles are equilateral, should that not be clear

Ignore the yellow line, that's an artefact of my CAD drawing.

brainfit.jpg

Thread: Run out on bar
12/11/2021 10:10:28

Hmm ... when you use a DTI in the same position as the tool which was used before to turn the bar, then it is no wonder that it shows nothing! You have to measure the diameters at both ends with a micrometer.

It wonders me some times that none of our experienced members immediately jumps up on such a blatant error.

Regards,
Hans

Thread: Time code Updates with clock change
01/11/2021 13:55:17

The Versaboss household has two radio controlled clocks, which update only once in a day, at midnight. As the switchover happens later, they are not correct at the morning. But they have a button, marked 'wave', and pressing this forces an update. A bit annoying, but I can live with that...

Kind regards,
Hans

Thread: Garmin sat nav
19/07/2021 15:45:08

On topic with Garmin, but changing the focus a bit.
Acouple of days ago a friend came and told - quite annoyed - that during the update process of his Garmin he was asked if he agrees that Garmin uses his position data so that he can receive e.g. traffic jam warnings. He decided to refuse this offer!

Now I always thought that a navi gadget is just a receiver, so how could Garmin get data back? Now I also have a Garmin, Model Drive 60, and thought I will check that out. It was bought in 2017, so maybe time for an update. First had to charge the battery, I thought it was not working first. But after some hours it was fully charged, and I started updating. Lo and behold, I also got that message, and I also refused. Then all went well, first it did an update of the software, and then an update for western Europe (for all maps I would have needed additional memory). The card updates needed about 3 hours, but now it is all working again.

I still don't believe that this device has any ways to send data back to the factory, except someone can explain how it's done.

Regards,
Hans

Thread: Same procedure as (almost) every year?
10/07/2021 16:31:22

So - a couple of days ago I got the vague feeling that I hadn't seen a MEW for quite a time. The head of this forums shows issue 305, but on my stack of the mags I see issue 303. So what has happened, I ask myself. I remember (vaguely), that it was usual that subscribers received a remembering mail or even letter, when the renewing of the subscription was due. Nothing of that happened this year. So it seems the subs terminated silently.

Ok, what I can do is to start a new subscription, but this starts from the 'next available' issue, this would be 306. Better than nothing, and I remembered that there is another way to fill up the hole. www.mags-uk.com came to the rescue, and FAST they are. Ordered the 304 and 305 on July 6th, and both were in my letterbox on July 10th.

My hope now is that the new sub really starts with 306, and that next year I will be reminded again to renew.

Regards,
Hans

Thread: Vitamin B12 / Pernicious Anaemia
04/05/2021 22:36:10

Oh well, another member of the club here. Diagnosed with Pernicious Anaemia a couple of years ago also, and getting my 4 shots of B12 per year too, At the beginning even several per month, can't remember the exact numbers. It has effects on the brain/memory, isn't it so? surprise

Always tired and sluggish, but the blood tests say that most values are in the green range,

The doc promised me that I should reach 80 years; I was 78 last month...sad nonetheless hope to prove him wrong!

Regards,
Hans

Thread: Problems trying to sell-on a 'Swiss' Army knife
28/04/2021 16:24:22

I just had a look in ebay.de. Full of army knives...

I think it is possible to list something in all foreign sub-sites. Buying from anywhere is not a problem afaik.

Regards,
Hans

Thread: Bending brass - hot, warm or cold?
13/04/2021 16:28:11

So, finally I did it. The cocks came out quite well I think (but far away from Clive's works). I did not check if they are tight, but anyway they are more a decoration on a small Stuart 10H.

img_20210409_170058.jpg

Regards,
Hans

Thread: Loctite or Draper? Much difference?
11/04/2021 23:05:16
Posted by Clive Foster on 11/04/2021 18:12:37:

On a side note I opened one of the inexpensive LiDL "Pattex" own brand (?) bottles of cyanoacrylate adhesive because the delivery tube appeared to have become blocked and found a tube of a good specification Loctite adhesive inside. The "bottle" turned out to be a well thought out tube holder with an effective squeezer mechanism.

Just to remember, if someone doesn't know: Pattex is a brand from Henkel, and Loctite is (today) also a brand from Henkel

Regards,
Hans

Thread: Bending brass - hot, warm or cold?
07/04/2021 21:50:16

Well, that's a lot of stuff to digest! In the meantime I decided to go the easy route and am making new cocks from some stuff I have which is called (by the supplier, Bergeon) "Nickel". I believe it is not really pure nickel, but rather German Silver. I could bend a sample easily without breaking. But as I expected, getting the same angle again on the conical part was almost impossible. I think applying a dab of Timesaver will be necessary.

If the drain cocks (now I know the word, thanks) come out only half as good as these from Clive Brown, I will be happy!

Many thanks to all for your help,
Hans

Edited By Versaboss on 07/04/2021 21:50:54

Edited By Versaboss on 07/04/2021 21:51:16

06/04/2021 22:23:02

Hello all,

I'm trying to produce two small cocks (for relieving cylinder pressure at the ends of a steam cylinder, I'm not sure what the correct name for these is). Anyway I tried to bend the actuating stem (brass, 3 mm dia.) about 30°. I warmed the place where the bend had to be with a small gas burner, but the brass broke already after a very small bend.
I'm wondering now if there is a better method - either VERY hot or cold?
I'm trying to save the part by building it from two parts, soldered together. it would be difficult to reproduce the part, as I lost the angle for turning the taper.

Any help appreciated,
Hans

Thread: Tether car
25/01/2021 14:14:00

A couple of months ago I wrote a short report about my visit at the Swiss F2G Championships (Electro Speed),
where a world record of 302 km/h was attained. To my surprise this report found no interest - or at least no one commented.

Here it is (hope that works as intended - I miss a preview!)

Regards,
Hans

Thread: American Sites for you
18/01/2021 21:33:04

Accessing without problems from Switzerland (not in EU). Let's hope they realise the change soon...

Regards,
Hans

Thread: Binocular loupe
14/01/2021 21:51:24

I have several lsmall oupes with LED lights, they are good for very short distances. I have also one similar (or possibly the same) as that in Nealeb's link. One problem with these is that it is difficult to adjust the lenses to point at an angle (hope you know what I mean) so that they focus at one point, the other is they are very heavy. Even with the rubber ribbon they don't keep position in front of the eyes. I have also very different sight between left and right eye, that's another problem. The adjustable light is good - well at least one positive remark!

Regards,
Hans

Thread: The Old One - Broken Tap Removal?
02/12/2020 16:29:36

Supposed you own a grinder, it should be easy to test the remnant of your tap if it is carbon steel or HSS?

The sparks are very different looking...

I would mill it out with a carbide cutter,

Regards,
Hans

Thread: Designspark 2.0
17/10/2020 12:04:39

Can it be that you are a bit in behind, Adi? Here I am on DS Mechanical 5.0...

Regards,
Hans

Thread: Overseas Distribution to restart
13/10/2020 22:22:01

peezee, I went through the same problem. But quite by accident - because it is NEVER mentioned here in this forum - I discovered that all surplus mags go to an (unrelated to MTM?) organisation called www.mags-uk.com .
There is a small link on the second page of MEW (at least usually, I think).
Through this firm I could get the two (in my case) missing numbers, although I had to pay them again. But it was worth for me.

Kind regards,
Hans

Thread: Does anyone watch Mr crispin
06/10/2020 22:33:37

I saw one of his videos just a couple of days ago. What did astonish me was his dialect. Can someone here tell me from where he comes?

Regards,
Hans

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
JD Metals
rapid Direct
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
walker midge
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest