By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Versaboss

Here is a list of all the postings Versaboss has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Garmin sat nav
19/07/2021 15:45:08

On topic with Garmin, but changing the focus a bit.
Acouple of days ago a friend came and told - quite annoyed - that during the update process of his Garmin he was asked if he agrees that Garmin uses his position data so that he can receive e.g. traffic jam warnings. He decided to refuse this offer!

Now I always thought that a navi gadget is just a receiver, so how could Garmin get data back? Now I also have a Garmin, Model Drive 60, and thought I will check that out. It was bought in 2017, so maybe time for an update. First had to charge the battery, I thought it was not working first. But after some hours it was fully charged, and I started updating. Lo and behold, I also got that message, and I also refused. Then all went well, first it did an update of the software, and then an update for western Europe (for all maps I would have needed additional memory). The card updates needed about 3 hours, but now it is all working again.

I still don't believe that this device has any ways to send data back to the factory, except someone can explain how it's done.

Regards,
Hans

Thread: Same procedure as (almost) every year?
10/07/2021 16:31:22

So - a couple of days ago I got the vague feeling that I hadn't seen a MEW for quite a time. The head of this forums shows issue 305, but on my stack of the mags I see issue 303. So what has happened, I ask myself. I remember (vaguely), that it was usual that subscribers received a remembering mail or even letter, when the renewing of the subscription was due. Nothing of that happened this year. So it seems the subs terminated silently.

Ok, what I can do is to start a new subscription, but this starts from the 'next available' issue, this would be 306. Better than nothing, and I remembered that there is another way to fill up the hole. www.mags-uk.com came to the rescue, and FAST they are. Ordered the 304 and 305 on July 6th, and both were in my letterbox on July 10th.

My hope now is that the new sub really starts with 306, and that next year I will be reminded again to renew.

Regards,
Hans

Thread: Vitamin B12 / Pernicious Anaemia
04/05/2021 22:36:10

Oh well, another member of the club here. Diagnosed with Pernicious Anaemia a couple of years ago also, and getting my 4 shots of B12 per year too, At the beginning even several per month, can't remember the exact numbers. It has effects on the brain/memory, isn't it so? surprise

Always tired and sluggish, but the blood tests say that most values are in the green range,

The doc promised me that I should reach 80 years; I was 78 last month...sad nonetheless hope to prove him wrong!

Regards,
Hans

Thread: Problems trying to sell-on a 'Swiss' Army knife
28/04/2021 16:24:22

I just had a look in ebay.de. Full of army knives...

I think it is possible to list something in all foreign sub-sites. Buying from anywhere is not a problem afaik.

Regards,
Hans

Thread: Bending brass - hot, warm or cold?
13/04/2021 16:28:11

So, finally I did it. The cocks came out quite well I think (but far away from Clive's works). I did not check if they are tight, but anyway they are more a decoration on a small Stuart 10H.

img_20210409_170058.jpg

Regards,
Hans

Thread: Loctite or Draper? Much difference?
11/04/2021 23:05:16
Posted by Clive Foster on 11/04/2021 18:12:37:

On a side note I opened one of the inexpensive LiDL "Pattex" own brand (?) bottles of cyanoacrylate adhesive because the delivery tube appeared to have become blocked and found a tube of a good specification Loctite adhesive inside. The "bottle" turned out to be a well thought out tube holder with an effective squeezer mechanism.

Just to remember, if someone doesn't know: Pattex is a brand from Henkel, and Loctite is (today) also a brand from Henkel

Regards,
Hans

Thread: Bending brass - hot, warm or cold?
07/04/2021 21:50:16

Well, that's a lot of stuff to digest! In the meantime I decided to go the easy route and am making new cocks from some stuff I have which is called (by the supplier, Bergeon) "Nickel". I believe it is not really pure nickel, but rather German Silver. I could bend a sample easily without breaking. But as I expected, getting the same angle again on the conical part was almost impossible. I think applying a dab of Timesaver will be necessary.

If the drain cocks (now I know the word, thanks) come out only half as good as these from Clive Brown, I will be happy!

Many thanks to all for your help,
Hans

Edited By Versaboss on 07/04/2021 21:50:54

Edited By Versaboss on 07/04/2021 21:51:16

06/04/2021 22:23:02

Hello all,

I'm trying to produce two small cocks (for relieving cylinder pressure at the ends of a steam cylinder, I'm not sure what the correct name for these is). Anyway I tried to bend the actuating stem (brass, 3 mm dia.) about 30°. I warmed the place where the bend had to be with a small gas burner, but the brass broke already after a very small bend.
I'm wondering now if there is a better method - either VERY hot or cold?
I'm trying to save the part by building it from two parts, soldered together. it would be difficult to reproduce the part, as I lost the angle for turning the taper.

Any help appreciated,
Hans

Thread: Tether car
25/01/2021 14:14:00

A couple of months ago I wrote a short report about my visit at the Swiss F2G Championships (Electro Speed),
where a world record of 302 km/h was attained. To my surprise this report found no interest - or at least no one commented.

Here it is (hope that works as intended - I miss a preview!)

Regards,
Hans

Thread: American Sites for you
18/01/2021 21:33:04

Accessing without problems from Switzerland (not in EU). Let's hope they realise the change soon...

Regards,
Hans

Thread: Binocular loupe
14/01/2021 21:51:24

I have several lsmall oupes with LED lights, they are good for very short distances. I have also one similar (or possibly the same) as that in Nealeb's link. One problem with these is that it is difficult to adjust the lenses to point at an angle (hope you know what I mean) so that they focus at one point, the other is they are very heavy. Even with the rubber ribbon they don't keep position in front of the eyes. I have also very different sight between left and right eye, that's another problem. The adjustable light is good - well at least one positive remark!

Regards,
Hans

Thread: The Old One - Broken Tap Removal?
02/12/2020 16:29:36

Supposed you own a grinder, it should be easy to test the remnant of your tap if it is carbon steel or HSS?

The sparks are very different looking...

I would mill it out with a carbide cutter,

Regards,
Hans

Thread: Designspark 2.0
17/10/2020 12:04:39

Can it be that you are a bit in behind, Adi? Here I am on DS Mechanical 5.0...

Regards,
Hans

Thread: Overseas Distribution to restart
13/10/2020 22:22:01

peezee, I went through the same problem. But quite by accident - because it is NEVER mentioned here in this forum - I discovered that all surplus mags go to an (unrelated to MTM?) organisation called www.mags-uk.com .
There is a small link on the second page of MEW (at least usually, I think).
Through this firm I could get the two (in my case) missing numbers, although I had to pay them again. But it was worth for me.

Kind regards,
Hans

Thread: Does anyone watch Mr crispin
06/10/2020 22:33:37

I saw one of his videos just a couple of days ago. What did astonish me was his dialect. Can someone here tell me from where he comes?

Regards,
Hans

Thread: F2G Swiss championship, 19/09/2020
25/09/2020 16:15:39

Well, as I was quite active in control line flying, many years ago, I was quite 'electrified' when I saw that one of the very few events this year was the Swiss championship in Electro speed, class F2G. This class is only about 8 years old and maybe not so famous up to now, but I was really surprised! There were only 4 contestants, but the event ended with a world record of 302 km/h, and the 'slower' ones were not much in behind. This is even more astonishing because these motors have only about half the power of the best 2.5 ccm I.C. engines.

Here a couple of pictures, you may also see the reports in MG Breitenbach

and Fesselflug.ch

In German, but G... is your friend, you know smiley

dscf3820.jpg

dscf3827.jpg

The record holder:

dscf3818.jpg

The contestants

dscf3844.jpg

And we also had the honour of a visit by Mr. Bond, James! (or at least his car)

dscf3823.jpg

Kind regards,
Hans

Thread: Emco 8.6 - Tumble Reverse Position for Screwcutting?
05/09/2020 00:25:43

Reading that stuss above from Avery, (hi A. use that translator!*), I'm beginning to loose my will to live...

- the knob on the tumbler reverse lever is not the one which changes the feed speeds!!! This is on the side of the cover, see Jason's picture.

- I am old and cannot always trust my memory, but I am quite sure that for screwcutting that double gear is always removed, or in other words: a screwcutting setup never transmits over that double gear. The picture on p. 28 of the manual above shows the setup for normal turning., and the feeds 0.12 and 0.05 mm work only in that setup!

Jason displayed all very clearly in the piccies above, so I retreat now...

* ok, I do it for you: a nice word I found is balderdash...

Regards
Hans

03/09/2020 22:58:40

I'm quite sure what Avery mentions is the push-pull knob which changes between the coarse (0.12 mm) and the fine (0-05 mm) feed .

Many years ago I owned a Emcomat 8.6, and I am absolutely sure the tumbler gear didn't change the pitch of a thread.

I would be interested to see that >>visual indication/guidance/reminder cast into the change gear case door. It shows when the tumble reverse is in the up position, less screw threads result.<<

Regards,
Hans

Thread: HSS replacement tool tips.
09/08/2020 16:32:56

Another, not very well known manufacturer, is Alesa

Here, the HSS inserts, but beware: they are not cheap! It is possible to get them piecewise, though.

HSS tooling

Regards,
Hans

Thread: Arduino low power alternatives
08/08/2020 14:39:05
Posted by Andy Stopford on 07/08/2020 20:53:10:

Lastly, do yourself a favour and ditch the Arduino IDE - there are much better, easier to use alternatives, with full code completion, hints, colour coding, etc.

I use PlatformIO; it's available as a code editor plugin. I like the Atom editor, but you can use it with VSCode, and, possibly, others.

Hi Andy,

as a sometimes Arduino user I'm always interested in such stuff. However, all is not so easy. I managed to install the Atom editor, and then tried in vain to cooperate it with PlatformIO. What I now have, if I start Atom, is a black screen with a menu bar. There is also a menu point for PlatformIO. But after say a minute I get the message 'editor isnot responding.
I deleted Atom and re-installed it, with the same result.
And btw, IF that system would work, how could one compile the code and load it up into an Arduino? Copy/Paste to the Arduino IDE?

Regards,
Hans

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
JD Metals
walker midge
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest