By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Steve F

Here is a list of all the postings Steve F has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Changing my Email client
16/03/2022 16:07:02

Hello

I use Thunderbird now having lost my MSOffice account.

I use it to keep track of 6 email account addresses. 2 on gmail, 1 on yahoo, 1 on outlook and 2 on btinternet. It works fine.

Only thing to be aware of.

When you add your accounts top Thunderbird make sure you use IMAP. This leaves the mail on the server. That way you can access it from other devices if needed.

If you make a mistake and use POP the emails will be downloaded to the PC and then deleted from the server. There was a setting to "leave the mail on the server" somewhere.

regards

Steve

Thread: New Member from North Yorkshire
30/12/2021 11:43:58

Hello Rob

Welcome to the forum.

There are plenty of clever people here to help you. A proper font of all Knowledge.

Earlier this year you welcomed me to your forum. I have just received my first 7mm gauge kit for Christmas and i am currently building a RSU so may post something there soon.

regards

Steve

Thread: LBSC drawing costs
02/12/2021 17:06:13

Hi

You could also buy them from Blackgates

regards

Steve

Thread: Ender 3 bed suddenly needs levelling
25/11/2021 16:01:31

Hello

It's those springs. All it takes is a little knock or rough handling when removing a part and the bed shifts. The bed should be levelled when the bed is hot because it distorts. This is why in installed a levelling probe on mine. The probe does a 9 point test before every print and adjusts the print to suit.

regards

Steve

Thread: Oxy propane welding kit
18/10/2021 22:12:03

Hello

There was a really interesting build on the modelenginemaker forum a few years ago. Sadly some of the photos have disappeared. It was about a Conway build. The thread is here **LINK** it's 83 pages. The chap doing the build used OxyPropane and wrote another article about the setup here **LINK**

regards

Steve

Thread: Source of scale checker plate?
30/07/2021 16:03:39

Hi

Bruce Engineering (Polly) sell it

regards

Steve

Thread: Model Engineering Website
09/06/2021 13:04:30

Hello

You might want to look here **LINK**

regards

Steve

Thread: SMOOTHING 3D PRINTS
14/05/2021 16:14:10

You could try this stuff

regards

Steve

Thread: Dimension errors Ender-3 Pro
01/02/2021 22:19:15

Hello

Getting the extrusion correct can have a large effect on X Y size Dont be tempted to fiddle with X Ysteps /mm as they are fixed by the mechanics

On the Ender 3 the extrusion E step value is more than likley wrong. In Configuration/Advanced settings/Steps mm.The value for E/steps mm that relates to the extruder. It meters the filament input. I think the default value is 93. So this gives 93 steps to move 1mm of input filament. I think the value should be 99. Its easy enough to do.

Measure and mark the filament 120mm from the extruder. Heat up the hotend and tell it to extrude 100mm. Obviously there should be 20mm left. If not you need to adjust the 95 value to correct the error. You only do this once.

Next you need to calibrate the extrusion multiplier. Draw up a cube 20mm square. Tell it to print 0% infill and select say 0.8mm wall thickness. Stop the print part way through and measure the wall. It should be 0.8mm. If not you need to adjust the feed rate to get this .The default is 100% so if the wall was 0.9 you are over extruding and the value should be 0.8/0.9 X 100 = 88%. You need to do this every time you swap filament rolls to get a value for the new roll. You will end up with a value to match each roll because different filament melts and squirts differently.

I put these values in startup G code and comment out the unused values.

;M221 S100

;M221 S136 Fibrology petg

M221 S95 Colorfabb XT

Happy to talk more via PM if needed

regards

Steve

Thread: Cura 4.8
19/01/2021 13:40:56

Hi

I have been using Cura for some time. I lost it when v4 came along and the screen / interface all moved. I went back to v3.3.1 and i find it much better. i'm using it now as we speak. You might want to try it and see.

regards

Steve

Thread: The demise of Australian Model Engineering Magazine
11/12/2020 00:19:49

Hello

The 16mm tram is called Ellie and is available from Camden.

I have an email from David Proctor. The last issue will be sent out on Tuesday.

regards

Steve

10/12/2020 13:59:00

Hello

I'm a subscriber. I am sorry to say i cancelled my ME subscription in favour of the AME magazine. I liked the quality photos and articles. I have been following the Wombat series. Shame they are stopping. I have just been to their website to order some back issues. No mention of stopping but renewing subscription and the shop are closed. Back issues is still open.

regards

Steve

Thread: Chester V20 Mill Drive Board Died
15/09/2020 21:55:44

Hello

I had a similar problem about 5 years ago. Thinking it was the SCR's on the board that had gone that's SCR 1 & 2 on the left of the photo. I could not find a problem with them so suspected something more serious like the chip.

I gave up and ordered a new board. £70 i think. This got the mill working.

Having more time i took another look at the board and i found the problem.

That great big Black power resistor top left had gone open circuit. 15K tested open circuit. It looked fine. No burn marks so did not look like it had overheated.

I'd have that out and give it a test first

regards

Steve

Thread: Help with contacting MyHermes
21/07/2020 13:36:40

My other half told me about your post, so I thought I would tell you what happened to me.

I went through the online support pages and got a reply from myhermes@mailgb.custhelp.com.

That was a couple of weeks ago, so I doubt it has changed.

They used to have a good Facebook Messenger reply rate but they seem to have removed that function.

All I can suggest in the meantime is to buy the shipping again and leave a note re the first one on their online support pages.

Keep it simple, they're easily confused, bless them, just tell that you need that order cancelled. If they try and say that it was delivered, then that's another argument.

Can you get screen shots of everything. That will give times and they will know that they couldn't have delivered in that time. (Although you may need to beat them over the head with that bit, lol)

Almost forgot - copy & paste the tracking number, log out, then try to get it to track it. You get different information that way.

Good luck.

Thread: What filament material do you use on your 3D printer?
26/06/2020 12:52:36

Hello

Small word of warning re the hot end. You are a bit close to the limit as the hotend has a ptfe liner to the nozzle. This can start to burn ! I swapped to an all metal hot end.

I have used FF Titan X that has similar specs. I also have good results with 3D Jake niceABS. PETG is unusual and seems to be used instead of ABS with less shrinkage but beware some are high temperature. PETG is sticky but when you get a good print the detail is great.

The new kid on the block is ASA cross between ABS and PETG. Maybe try HIPS easy to glue (airfix liquid)

regards

Steve

Thread: 3D CAD software - what do you use?
18/05/2020 16:21:19

Hello

Fusion 360 for drawing

Fusion 360 for slicing (now) if you can understand it

regards

Steve

Thread: Advice on Building Powerful Toy Cannon
21/04/2020 12:20:54

An updated video here with increased power **LINK**

regards

Steve

21/04/2020 11:45:37

Hi

You need to watch this man. **LINK**

I will maybe help

I love his videos

regards

Steve

Thread: Leaving filament in printer or not
14/04/2020 11:21:39

Hi

It might be the sample that has the problem. Before you use PLA try and break it . If it snaps easy then it's had it. If you then try a little further up you may find its ok from that point. Ive had some total rubbish filament from China that just breaks like spagetti.

I try to put my rolls away in a bag with silica gel when finished. The PETG lives in a dry box as that does like humidity. I now buy by own brand filament from 3Djake in Austria. I have a roll of PLA thats been out since October and tested it and it just bends doesnt snap.

On the subject of hot end. There are 2 fans one for cooling the part the other for the hot end. If you turn the machine off before the hot end has cooled the fan stops and residual heat travels up the hot end thru the heatbeak into the hot end body. This can cause filament in the heatbreak to soften and stick to the heatbreak. That can be difficult to shift because it doesnt get hot. its there to stop the heat

regards

Steve

Thread: Coronavirus
25/03/2020 23:52:20

I was sent a link to a Bill Gates TED lecture filmed in 2015. Here

Shame nobody listened

regards

Steve

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Dreweatts
Rapid RC
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest