By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Andrew Moyes 1

Here is a list of all the postings Andrew Moyes 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Myford gearbox and leadscrew
09/03/2014 13:35:53
Posted by Adam Harris on 09/03/2014 13:25:09:

Thanks Andrew - so you would advise it is possible to use the standard leadscrew (with simply keyways cut to take the internal gears and the external wide 72T gear)? Adam

Yes, use the standard leadscrew but you will need to shorten it as per instructions. No need to cut a keyway and there are no internal keys on this shaft; it passes straight through the gearbox to pick up on the external gear on the left.

Andrew M

09/03/2014 13:29:04

PS

I've just checked the Myford Yahoo site for the gearbox installation instructions and they are under 'Files' s7gbox2.pdf

Andrew M

09/03/2014 13:20:29

The Super 7 has a 3/4" leadscrew which is the same diameter as the hole through the gearbox. No need to fit a sleeve as shown on John's ML7 photo

The arrangement for the ML7 is different and the reason for the sleeve is to join the 5/8" diameter ML7 leadscrew to the 3/4" shaft in the gearbox. It would be worthwhile reading the Myford instructions for fitting a gearbox and I think you will find them on the Myford Yahoo Group, which is worth joining.

Andrew M

Thread: Top Slide Lock
28/01/2014 12:53:27

I did the modification and highly recommend it. Preventing sideways movement of the gib improved the feel of the topslide movement, and the locking screw works a treat.

GHT describes how he made a step in the hole so that the parallel dowel pin is a slight interference fit when pressed fully home. I didn't have the non-standard drill size he used (3.15mm from memory). I hesitate to suggest an improvement on the work of the great maestro but I found it easier to ream a parallel hole in the topslide and gib then turn the dowel with a 0.5 thou step instead. The hole can be reamed with everything assembled and the hole slightly overhanging the base.

Andrew M

Thread: Rotary Laser centre finder
25/01/2014 06:07:50

Fascinating. Just what I need for centring holes etc. Strange it isn't commercially available yet. I've got to make one...

Further on, he makes the case for a 4 jaw SC chuck which is my preference too for normal round and square stock. I'd always thought the 3 jaw was really for hex stock but I hadn't realised you could hold hex in a 4 jaw as well. The angled hole in the nut is a great idea too.

Thanks for the link from me as well. I must watch some more of his videos.

Andrew M

Thread: Woman's Logic
11/01/2014 17:48:25

I'd paint it black and have done with it.

Andrew

Thread: ML7 Topslide limitations
08/12/2013 21:24:23

I remember now. It was the very first thing I made when I bought an ML7; a Stuart centrifugal pump. I thought it would be an easy first project until I needed to take a facing cut across the blades. They are required to be at a slight angle, not possible with the standard topslide. The solution was to use the vertical slide with its table parallel to the axis of the lathe. The top of the vertical slide was rotated slightly towards the headstock by the required angle and the tool was mounted in a vice on the slide, pointing towards the headstock.

Andrew M

08/12/2013 20:15:02

Ian Bradley in Myford ML7 Lathe Manual shows a solution using a sole plate interposed between the top slide and cross slide. The down side is that it reduces the size of tool that can be used to about 5/16".

I vaguely remember using a tool mounted on the swivelling vertical slide to get around the problem. I can't remember now how I did it - perhaps this will jog someone else's memory. Will post again if it comes to me!

Andrew M

Thread: Coolant pump
10/11/2013 09:35:23

My money's on Les's solution. If you are using an ordinary inverter, the output is 230v 3 phase not 400v.

Andrew M

Thread: Tom senior light vertical milling machinr
09/11/2013 16:10:07

Well done Ian. A good investment - I hope it gives you many years of pleasure.

Andrew M

Thread: Myford tool posts and cutter tools
06/11/2013 06:54:48

That's the genuine article and is the make Myford used when they first introduced the QCTP. The bush is needed to fit the Myford toolpost but also serves the purpose of a stop for the cams.

Andrew M

Thread: Adjusting the ML7 spindle bearings (New bronze version)
29/10/2013 12:53:25

Colin

I used a small worn-out half round file, ground off all the teeth then smoothed the cutting edges on an oilstone. The file is about 4" long overall and has been useful for all sorts of model engineering jobs since.

Don't let my earlier tribulations put you off; scraping is not difficult. The amount of metal you take off and ends up on your scraper is tiny compared to the amount you would remove by taking the finest of cuts with the lathe, so progress is naturally slow. How accurately you work depends on the thickness of engineer's blue you apply and you can use less as you home in on the final fit. There is something very satisfying about achieving a really good fit by hand methods that is better than you can achieve by machine - at least the sort of machines a model engineer uses.

Good luck!

Andrew M

27/10/2013 10:57:37

Martin describes the method to use. I did my white metal bearings that way a long time ago. Of course, you must go carefully because if you go too far...

I carefully scraped mine to a really accurate fit then found to my dismay that when I bolted down the bearing caps, the shells expanded into their housings giving about a thou more clearance than intended. The shells were not as tight a fit as they should have been. As an expedient, I cut out some rectangles of cooking foil (0.4 thou thick, 0.8 thou on diameter) which I 'stuck' onto the outside of the shells with oil, put them back together and it came good. The static clearance measured using a clock gauge while pushing and pulling a bar in the chuck is still only 0.5 thou after 40 years of use.

Andrew M

Thread: World of Model Engineering downloads
23/10/2013 22:39:47

Issue 3 parts 1 and 2 seem to be missing from the Magazine Reprints section.

Andrew M

Thread: Metric screw cutting
15/10/2013 19:18:32

So I reiterate Richard's question and would be very interested in the experience of my fellows who have used these two gears in conjunction with the QC gearbox.

I used a 34T gear with the 'box set to 18tpi to cut the 2mm pitch threads for all the backplates for my Myford big-bore lathe (7 in total). Quick and easy to set up and theoretically accurate to 0.00024 over the half inch of thread. Good enough for me.

Andrew

Thread: Can soluble cutting oil damage equipment?
15/10/2013 18:56:44

Soluble oil certainly spoiled the appearance of bed of my (then) new Myford ML7 before I realised what was happening. The bed wiper felt left some nasty pock marks which continued to annoy me until I disposed of the lathe quite recently. On my new lathe, I only use neat cutting oil (eg Warco Neatcut) but I dilute it 50:50 with paraffin.

Andrew M

Thread: Plane screw
15/10/2013 18:47:53

Record did it too...

**LINK**

Andrew M

Thread: Tom senior light vertical milling machinr
07/10/2013 17:56:22

Ian – I didn’t keep a note of the exact supplier but these would do: -

http://www.antivibrationcomponents.co.uk/en/catalog/mounts/machine-mounts/steel-machine-mounts/p2150

Mine were M12 studs x 90mm diameter. It’s worth the expense while the machine’s apart and the base is not too heavy to lift. As well as giving a solid base, it means you can easily set the table truly level in both planes to a precision spirit level. You can quickly set a workpiece level in the same way in the knowledge that it will be parallel to the table. A lot easier than clocking with a DTI in my opinion.

Andrew M

06/10/2013 20:56:22

Ian - I'm pleased to hear you got it. My Clarkson Autolock collet chuck has a 'damping ring' that is backed up against the spindle in use to increase rigidity. You should be able to use it to extract the chuck using a tommy bar on the chuck and spanner on the spindle nose. Mine was well and truly stuck when I got the machine so I had to use some additional persuasion with a lead hammer as you describe. Not ideal but I planned to replace the bearings anyway. Eventually it came off. Make sure the down feed worm is disengaged first so you don't damage it.

Dias - thanks for your generous comments.

Andrew M

03/10/2013 18:16:43

I have posted some photos into an album showing the machine disassembled.

Andrew

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
cowells
rapid Direct
JD Metals
emcomachinetools
walker midge
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest