By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ian P

Here is a list of all the postings Ian P has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Softening/Hardening/Tempering 30 thou feeler gauge
17/09/2020 19:29:12

I have used diamond burrs to make holes in shim stock.

I bought a cheap set of burrs (about two dozen of all shapes and sizes) that have 1/*2 diameter shanks, I usually start the hole with a ball shaped one and then change to conical. Square or other shaped holes are possible too.

Ian P

Thread: Tapered Square metal punch anyone?
22/08/2020 21:30:23
Posted by Dave S on 22/08/2020 20:16:05:

Click spring over on YouTube has a video showing how:

**LINK**

Seems fairly straightforward

Dave

That video shows how to make and use a broach but Chris's question was about a tapered punch (whatever that is).

I followed the thread hoping he would clarify his requirement.

Ian P

Thread: Coping with voltage spikes
18/08/2020 19:46:25

Five pages so far and we seem to be no nearer a solution, I dont think we even know what colour the car is.

Tim said four LEDs had failed but one LED survived after seeing 6 volts, presumably not one of the four.

If I understand what Tim said, one of the none working LEDs had no faults in its wires and resistor but then gave light output when the LED was connected directly to a supply, but it failed after a while?

The plot thickens.

Ian P

13/08/2020 19:41:49

In your original post you said you had added a '12 Volt LED'.

The 3mm LED you mentioned does not sound like one that incorporates its own limiting resistor or constant current circuit, so have you fitted a limiting resistor externally?

Ian P

Thread: Can a small lathe handle a tail stock die holder?
01/08/2020 22:53:25

I think you have answered your own question!

If cutting the thread by hand is hard, cutting it in the lathe will still be very a very taxing task for a small lathe. Please be kind to your lathe.

How did you hold a 1" die in the tailstock chuck?

Ian P

Thread: Struggling with Sino DRO display functions
31/07/2020 22:17:46

Thanks for the link Tony, its given me a head start on fathoming how the tool library works. Whilst the Youtube video shows a different Sino model (his has more buttons) I'm sure the general principles are the same so tomorrow I will see what I can do on my DRO.

Ian P

31/07/2020 21:21:47

I have a 2 axis SDS2L Sino system on my lathe and would like to use its '200 Tool Storeroom' feature.

The basic problem is that I cannot get my head round the chinglish manual!

Does any one use the tool memory with this or a similar model of display console that could kindly offer a few tips on how to use it?

Ian P

Thread: DRO installation - a salutary lesson
31/07/2020 12:18:01
Posted by Bob Wild on 30/07/2020 23:27:14:

Thanks for all your replies, although no-one has explained how these things actually work.

We don't have too many psychics here so it should not be a surprise that no one explained how 'things' worked

#Ian P - not sure if I was allowed to mention brands, but what the heck - it was bought from Arceurotrade. There is no info on their website as to the type.. The part no is 100-061-00500.

Certainly nothing wrong in mentioning brands or suppliers name.

Now we have details of what the DRO is. Its a capacitive type (same as most digital calipers) operating principlesare easy to find on Wikipedia etc

#Stuart Bridger - there is no facility to earth the unit. In fact the display unit is supplied with a plastic mounting plate with keyhole slots to slide it in. It is battery operated, so I'm not sure whether an earth is necessary.

#mgnbuk - Looking inside I cant see any light ?!? so I suspect it is magnetic

#Bryan Ceder - I could see the screws when the scale bar is removed and it did not touch or distort anything.

Does that mean that when the scale bar is in place the screws may have been touching the bar?

#Dave Halford - absolutely correct. I tightened the screws after I shortened them.

I could vent my spleen about the fact that the documentation provided only described how to use the thing and not how install it. Although it was titled "Digital Scale with Steel Deam Instruction". Your guess is as good as mine as to what that means. Not to mention the four other spelling mistakes. I would have thought any self respecting supplier would proof read with due diligence anything coming from abroad where English is not the native tongue. But that is a digression.

Venting your spleen is a bit dramatic (as is your topic title!) Who was supposed to have this lesson?

Bob

PS New restrictions tonight in Kirklees means I shall have more time for the man cave.

Ian P

30/07/2020 13:07:36

Dave, but is was the 'loosening' that cleared the fault and we have no idea what the term meant. 'If' the loosening was just a quarter turn the its unlikely that is was the protruding threads making contact with anything.

Ian P

30/07/2020 11:17:36
Posted by Bryan Cedar 1 on 30/07/2020 10:36:38:

I wonder if the screws were distorting the internals in any way and causing a bad connection on the electronics?

I think this is the most likely reason too.

From the OP's original information it is nigh on impossible to give a meaningful answer, all we know is one axis worked and one didn't, but we have no idea of what type of DRO this is and even less idea of the actual mounting details. The fact that loosening the fixings changed the behaviour is a clear indication (to me) that something was being distorted even if the ends of the screws were not fouling on anything.

Although the DRO is now working, if it were mine I would want to know the actual cause of the problem.

Ian P

Thread: Shellac questions
22/07/2020 23:50:26

What are you trying to access, or did you mean assess?

Ian P

Thread: size of flex required
22/07/2020 23:47:43

As emgee says, the VFD's own E-Stop feature is the one to use because it will stop the motor quickest.

The disadvantage with cutting the incoming mains is because of the stored power in the capacitors of the VFD which continue to run the motor until discharged. If the drive is only lightly loaded the longer stopping time could be significant from a safety point of view.

Ian P

22/07/2020 23:39:35
Posted by Nicholas Farr on 22/07/2020 22:48:00:

Hi Ian P, flex or cable, that is the question, maybe this will help. **LINK**

Regards Nick.

It does help, but for another reason. It confirms something I mentioned in a recent thread on this forum recently when I advised a poster not to believe everything he read on the internet!

There are several facts in the definitions given on that website that are patently wrong but one obvious example is that it states, 'cable' has solid and not stranded conductors. The company claim to be certified professionals so how they could come up with that trinket I have no idea.

Ian P

22/07/2020 22:28:32

Is the flex you mention actually flex, or is it cable? I have always understood flex to be the twisted sort of stuff used on things like table lamps and antique telephones, cable is mostly multiple insulated conductors in an overall jacket.

I presume the wiring is between the VFD and the motor rather than the mains input lead? The mains lead will be carrying the total power whereas the motor wires only carry about a third of that.

Ian P

Thread: Jig for hand tapping
18/07/2020 17:18:30

+1 for what John H said.

Ian P

Thread: DC motor reversing
17/07/2020 22:04:23

Small PCB mounted relay coils are usually driven with DC, there might be some exceptions but I've never seen a PCB one with a coil designed for AC.

In any event whilst a relay might not work on a lower voltage than its coil is intended for, it will not buzz on a DC supply.

Ian P

Thread: Horse Rasp on Aluminium
17/07/2020 21:13:36
Posted by Chris TickTock on 15/07/2020 13:27:31:

Hi Guys,

On the web I have found sites stating a horse rasp can be used for aluminium for really rough smoothing out. Is this the case and does anyone do so and if so do they recommend chalk, WD40, paraffin or anything else to stop the teeth clogging.

Chris

Chris, You said you found some information on a website so whilst I am probably a bit late mentioning this to you but shock-horror, not everything you read on the internet true!

Sorry if its come as a surprise to you.devil

Ian P

Edited By Ian P on 17/07/2020 21:14:11

Thread: DC motor reversing
17/07/2020 21:04:17

If its a DC motor, which ever way round you connect it to a DC supply it would not buzz so there must be some AC present.

With brushed DC motor, reversing the connections to the brushes will reverse the motor. I do not think that the blue and brown wires you show go direct to the brushes of the motor

The two connections to the motor might be brown and blue but they are not live and neutral, if the unit operates on a DC supply then they will just be positive and negative

If the blue object on the PCB is a relay then that might be the device that actually reverses the connections to the motor.

More investigation needed, is there any label on the motor?

Ian P

Thread: Jig for hand tapping
16/07/2020 18:06:33

I rarely tap with conventional tap wrench.

You probably already have a 'suitable jig' in your workshop. Mine is my pillar drill (for work not in the mill or on the lathe). Depending on thread size either hold the tap in the chuck or make a tubular extension for you tap wrench.

Turn the tap by gripping the chuck.

I would say that 80% of holes I tap (M2 to M12) in the drill chuck are under power or more correctly power assistance. VFD at lowest frequency and lowest torque.

Ian P

Thread: Leadscrew suppliers
14/07/2020 11:43:44

My comments about wear were triggered by Michael G's mention that a long nut setup would have 'comparatively rapid' wear.

What I said earlier about backlash was mainly referring to positional error, slide friction or sticktion has always been (on my machines) enough to overcome the climb cutting forces. Maybe I have my gibs set to tight?

Ian P

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
EngineDIY
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest