By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for John Rudd

Here is a list of all the postings John Rudd has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Welding issue for a newbie
11/08/2018 22:42:53

Looking at the schematics, the thermal switch is an integral part of the transformer...but main power is switched via a relay mounted on the circuit board... The relay is activated by the switch built into the torch....

So is the switch working ok, can you here the relay operate?....

Thread: WM18 Earth Fault - Looks like Controller blew
11/08/2018 22:29:32

Ross,

Oooh my bad.....I missed your statement about there being nothing at the motor terms...,( assuming you had good contact with the wiring and your meter works ok. on dc volts range ..😀 )

Have you checked the motor commutator? Does it look burnt/carbon'd up?

Bottom line here is the machine is under warranty, so rather than speculate on what is/isnt ....let Warco decide and act accordingly to your satisfaction

11/08/2018 22:03:39

From your description above, "none of the fuses have blown, and it tripped the earth leakage breaker", suggests to me that the motor is faulty...

The thyristors or ' three legged devices' have isolated tabs, that means even if they failed short circuit across their junctions, ( anode/cathode...) that would not cause an earth leakage trip....

The circuit board can be tested in isolation by disconnecting the motor from the board and substituting a 100 watt light bulb, the brightness should vary when the speed pot is turned up and down....

Testing the motor for leakage to earth will require an insulation tester ( 'megger'....)

Hopefully Warco will resolve this for you without delay.

Edited By John Rudd on 11/08/2018 22:04:57

Edited By John Rudd on 11/08/2018 22:05:24

Thread: any boiler testers out there
09/08/2018 19:48:47

Bottom line here is if the boiler falls into the 2 bar 1 litre category, then there are no PED regs to comply with....As it is a manufactured boiler it should meet 'sound engineering practice'....

As Wilesco have been making boilers for many years, I should think they know what they are about...if your local club boiler inspector is unsure about your boiler, then someone ought to be questioning his competence!

Edited By John Rudd on 09/08/2018 19:49:11

Thread: Small Brushless Motors - can they generate?
09/08/2018 17:39:55

Tim,

Given your criteria, it would seem a small 100 watt motor with a kv of 500- 600 would give you the required ac volts over the anticpated engine speed( for a voltage range of 0-5v if my maths is right...) ....generally brushless motors come without any electronics.... The three wires are brought out into 'the wide world'

Edited By John Rudd on 09/08/2018 17:40:52

09/08/2018 16:43:50

Tim,

What voltage are you looking for?

The kv of the motor will be determined by your requirements.....for example, a motor with a kv of 1000 will generate 1v when spun at 1000rpm. Other attributes of the motor have a bearing on how much current you want too....

Edited By John Rudd on 09/08/2018 16:44:53

Thread: Can this motor be reversed?
09/08/2018 15:00:12

You are half way there.....

Follow the wires from the Start cap, this will take you to the Start winding, then just swap over...

Thread: Cleaning Lathe after use
08/08/2018 18:43:41

After removing most of the swarf with a brush and vacuum cleaner,I prefer to use an oil based fluid for my machines....be it WD40/paraffin or whatever....Wiping down after cleaning is bound to leave a least a thin film that ought to afford some protection against the dreaded brown stuff..

Thread: Machine cleaning
08/08/2018 18:42:02

I prefer to use an oil based fluid for my machines....be it WD40/paraffin or whatever....Wiping down after cleaning is bound to leave a least a thin film that ought to afford some protection against the dreaded brown stuff..

Edited By John Rudd on 08/08/2018 18:44:10

Thread: Need a Frame 56 size motor pulley
07/08/2018 12:42:09

The alternative to cutting the keyway in the pulley is to drill and tap on centre, if the key is 4mm then use M4 grub screws....but dont let them bear down on the shaft. Cut some small 4 mm dia brass to fit flush with the key way.

This will allow you to lock the pulley onto the shaft without having to cut a keyway and protects the shaft from the grub screw, it also affords a degree of protection of overload too....the brass being soft takes the brunt...

Edited By John Rudd on 07/08/2018 12:42:43

Thread: Crankshaft repairs
07/08/2018 10:38:22
Posted by not done it yet on 07/08/2018 09:54:57:

Perhaps a shrink fit might be more appropriate in this century? Liquid nitrogen is relatively freely available these days.

I've seen shrink fits achieved by heating with oxy-acetylene and cooling with a CO2 extinguisher....

Thread: Need a Frame 56 size motor pulley
07/08/2018 09:51:16

The alternative to the RDG pulley is make your own.....

When I converted my WM290 clone to vfd/3ph motor, I made my own pulley to suit the new motor ( frame 90 size....)

Making the keyway is probably the most difficult operation but doable in the lathe....

Thread: Squealing motor
07/08/2018 07:33:18
Posted by john carruthers on 07/08/2018 07:29:44:

Brushes need attention maybe?

Induction motor my friend....smiley

No brushes...

Thread: Are you a Man or a Mouse When Milling?
06/08/2018 17:45:32

Posted by David Standing 1 on 06/08/2018 17:33:40:

Posted by AJW on 06/08/2018 17:32:02:
Is there a benefit from having a cutter glowing?

Alan

Saves on the workshop lighting bill when milling after dark, lights off! wink

Moreso in the winter when the shop is cold and damp, saves on heating.....smiley

I tend to push my 626 hard when milling, has a 1.5 hp motor on it....but doc is not as Andrew.....

Thread: Squealing motor
06/08/2018 12:39:32
Posted by Kiwi Bloke 1 on 06/08/2018 11:42:17:

I have recently become the owner of a Cowells 90ME lathe. It's about 30 years old, but has been almost unused.

So, anyone any idea why the wretched thing squeals? I've never come across ball bearings seeming OK, but noisy like this - but what do I know? I doubt that the bearings themselves are at fault. Can shields rub and squeak? I suppose I should replace the bearings, but before that - could it be anything else?

If the motor when stattic does not make a noise, that only leaves the rotor/bearing assembly as the culprit.

As hopper eluded to the grease, though the bearings when manually spun may seem ok, it could well be the grease has dried out...You could carefully remove the bearing shields, clean out the old grease, repack/replace the shields and try again....Prior to parting with beer tokens for new bearings...

Edited By John Rudd on 06/08/2018 12:40:38

Thread: Falcor
05/08/2018 09:38:13

Jason,

Martin has already stated that there are differences between what he submitted and what appeared in the magazine....Is there a further step in the process whereby the errors/omissions can occur?

04/08/2018 22:19:16

For two pages this thread has run with errors!

Surely there must be some form of proof reading prior to publication of the author's material!

How can the paying public be expected to build something from a magazine article over a series ?

What is the point in submitting an article if the information provided cant be printed accurately?

Rant over!

Edited By John Rudd on 04/08/2018 22:21:04

Edited By John Rudd on 04/08/2018 22:22:37

Thread: Stanley - Quality?
02/08/2018 18:05:37
Posted by Ian Hewson on 02/08/2018 17:56:40:

cheapo brushes, just throw them away at the end of the job, cheaper than buying paint brush cleaner and a lot more convenient.

Absolutely, that is the way I'm going to go now.....

I bought a set of Stanley brushes from one of the trade outlets, needed to do some painting in my new house, ( would ya believe it?) got some white spirit to clean the brush only later to find the gloss paint is water based! Argghhhh... So to recover the brush, a 2" stanley job, I bought some brush cleaner, "suitable for all types of paint, water or oil based" ......thought I'm on a winner here.... Let it soak....didnt even touch the paint....ended up in the bin...What a waste of money!

Thread: Lathe motor
02/08/2018 16:30:51

The capacitor could be relocated, bringing the necessary wires out into the hump.....is that doable?

Thread: Stanley - Quality?
02/08/2018 16:29:14

Their latest power tools, hammer corded/ battery screwdriver drills are now made in China, quality is questionable.

Originally an American company I believe, they used the name Stanley with Bridges power tools to make Stanley Bridges. Bridges was originally a British company based in London, but the later amalgamation took production up North to Cramlington in the late 70's until the factory closed years later.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Expo Tools July 14
emcomachinetools
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
SPG Tools October Seventeen
Shapiro
Warco
Sarik
ChesterUK
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Visit the Model Engineer
Exhibition website

Model Engineer Exhibition