By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for John Rudd

Here is a list of all the postings John Rudd has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Limiting pressure to a gauge
20/10/2019 11:39:54

If you must install a pressure limiting device to protect your gauge, then this is the type of device you need.....

maybe you could make something that is functionally the same without costing the earth...

https://www.wika.co.uk/910_13_en_co.WIKA?ProductGroup=72400

But as suggested, if the pressure is rising to the levels you state, then perhaps there is an issue elsewhere?

Edited By John Rudd on 20/10/2019 11:40:45

Thread: Oh Dear, I've blown the chop saw...
26/05/2019 19:20:52

Field coils can be rewound......not too much trouble...

But I stand to be corrected by more knowlegeable folk.....

Edited By John Rudd on 26/05/2019 19:21:39

Thread: stepper driver
15/04/2019 15:26:21

Very neat Duncan....yes

Looking forward to seeing the rotab conversion...

Thread: Motor control circuit
28/03/2019 11:33:52

I knew it was a mistake to reply to this thread.....

28/03/2019 10:05:06

What vfd do you buy?

The makers manual should have a typical connection drawing showing the incoming 1ph supply with their recommended protection devices and whatever is shown on the outgoing side to the motor. Following their installation recommendations should suffice in terms of meeting any protection requirements.

Typically, fused protection or rated mcb on the input and direct connection to the motor on the outgoing side with maybe a filter.

There is certainly no need for anything too complicated.

For your own protection there should be an nvr switch on the primary side.

Thread: Open Crank IC Plans
26/03/2019 12:19:26

Steam or ic?

There is the Webster OC engine that is ic....

Thread: Mini lathe
25/03/2019 20:54:34

Arckivio,

I sent you a private message, check the flashing envelope at the top of the page.

Thread: What new lathe?
25/03/2019 12:40:44

Nice...!! ( no jealous smiley)

Nice looking shop too..

I hope you and your new machine have a lasting relationship....😂

Thread: Smoke detectors
24/03/2019 13:36:25
Posted by not done it yet on 24/03/2019 11:06:08:

'In a former life' likely means out of date?

Edited By John Rudd on 24/03/2019 13:36:48

24/03/2019 10:04:14

In a former life, I used to service the Fire and Gas installation where I worked...

So to answer your questions...I offer the following:

Rate-of-Rise (ROR) heat detectors operate on a rapid rise in element temperature, irrespective of the starting temperature and can operate at a lower temperature fire condition than would be possible if the threshold detection point was fixed.
A fixed temperature detector operates when the heat sensitive element reaches the point of changing state from a solid to a liquid. there is a delay due to thermal lag in the accumulation of heat at the sensing element so that a fixed-temperature device will reach its operating temperature sometime after the surrounding air temperature is a lot higher. Potentially there may already be a fire!
Smoke detectors come in three flavours...optical, ionization and a combination of both.
Most installations for domestic use, use the optical detector, in industrial applications the ionization type requires a licence because of the radioactive element contained within.

If you do go for smoke and heat, dont forget to have a testing regime in place.....We tested our systems every three months...

Thread: Boxford 8" Shaper Problem
23/03/2019 11:11:24

Can you set the machine up as described then, without a work piece, set it going and watch what happens...?

if it repeats its issue, try again, but this time manually crank it and watch the bolt? You may see something you may not...and further investigation needed..

Thread: Teesside Model Engineers
18/03/2019 15:09:57

Ian,

Do you have the details of the Tyneside one plz? I live up at that way now....being new to the area too..

Ta. yes

Edited By John Rudd on 18/03/2019 15:10:12

Thread: Doncaster ME show 2019
15/03/2019 21:37:36

Emgee,if the above fails..

https://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/townlisting.asp?town=Doncaster&county=south%20yorkshire

Thread: Tool Post Milling/Drilling Attachment
14/03/2019 19:41:46

Roderick,

Is the motor a universal type or permanent magnet? ( guess I really ought to ask the seller....)

Edited By John Rudd on 14/03/2019 19:42:23

Thread: Digital angle gauges
14/03/2019 10:34:12

I also own a Wixey, I do as IanT. I keep mine indoors in the warm..until needed.

Thread: Inverter
13/03/2019 21:35:16

Thanks for shouting up John....Nice to know there are folk prepared to share...yes

Thread: What gas for a Centaur?
13/03/2019 14:04:23

You could make a smaller volume gas tank to fit in the base, just decant from your blowlamp canister to fill it...

Thread: Inverter
13/03/2019 14:01:06

ESR is just up the road from me.....Very good supplier of components, Steve and Anthony are very helpful...if you need advice..

12/03/2019 22:47:43
Posted by Paul Scholey on 12/03/2019 22:41:07:

It's sounding to technical to me, I'm going to have to get help setting one up.

No problem....Tell us which inverter you go for...I'm sure the collective will have you up and running....

12/03/2019 22:32:22
Posted by Paul Scholey on 12/03/2019 22:14:24:

Is there much to fitting them John ?

They wire up as easy as any other vfd. The challenge comes in the form of interpreting the Chinglish manual when dealing with the setting parameters. It can be more of a challenge for the less technically minded.

I believe one or more forum members has a set of parameters that will make the inverter work as required. Perhaps they will make themselves known via this thread?

I could work them out if I had the manual in front of me, but cant remember them all from memory/experience..

One of the things I liked about the HY inverters is the fact that the output stages are using discrete components rather than a module..Repair option is more feasable... If/when needed.

Edited By John Rudd on 12/03/2019 22:34:08

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
cowbells
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Meridienne; London MES
TRANSWAVE Converters
Warco
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest