By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Alan Jackson

Here is a list of all the postings Alan Jackson has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Tom Senior s head alternatives?
02/04/2021 12:59:37

Hi Buffer,

I have just found out that my article on a Tom Senior is in MEW 289

Alan

01/04/2021 18:30:23

Buffer,

I did spend some time when I first got the machines. I stripped them down to basic parts and I think I spent some time cleaning them up. I do use them though they are not just like that all the time, and the photos were taken after a good clean up. I know what you mean about the dull brown look, but I love the look of these great british machines.

Alan

01/04/2021 11:55:03
Posted by vic francis on 01/04/2021 09:08:06:

Hi I am fond on the Tom Senior m1 but mine only came with the knuckle head, and though it works fine, it has limited clearance in use,I have seen bport milling heads grafted on, or the actual senior main column raised upwards, and various other ideas such as the Bartlett milling head which mounts on arbor support ( which is just not accurate enough due to droop!) nor has it a quill feed...

I only do light work but need more clearance so any ideas appreciated! Has anyone tried these far east milling spindles? Senior heads are rarer than hens teeth, some people just buy a machine for one!

The top of m1 is not machined? So any mounting on top is a bit hit or miss! I am not moving another mill ! Which would be the best solution....

Any ideas appreciated! Or what you have

thanks vic

The top of my M1 was machined and square to the vee slides.

Alan

01/04/2021 09:54:44

I fitted a Dore Westbury head on my Tom Senior M1. It was covered in an article in MEW a while ago. It works very well and has lots of daylight.

Alan

head assembly - right side.jpg

head assembly rotated 90^ for horizontal mill operation.jpg

Thread: Home Made Rear Toolpost Issue
02/03/2021 11:48:43

Here is my rear toolpost. The base unit has a sloped surface which enables easy height setting without affecting rigidity and the two hold down bolts screw into a long tee nut in the tee slot.

rear toolpost2.jpg

Edited By Alan Jackson on 02/03/2021 11:52:49

Edited By Alan Jackson on 02/03/2021 11:53:32

Edited By Alan Jackson on 02/03/2021 11:55:04

Thread: What about a "like" button on the forum?
19/02/2021 11:43:05

Perhaps there should be a vote on a like button, Like or do not Like. Just saying.

Alan

Thread: Split Collet in blind hole
05/02/2021 18:23:51

Just make the collet part too long so that it extends above the surface and clamp it in place endwise with a G clamp or toolmakers clamp while you drill the 8 mm hole. I found this is good enough to hold it in place while you carefully drill the hole. Cut the collet up to suit afterwards.

Alan

Edited By Alan Jackson on 05/02/2021 18:24:59

Thread: Collet runout. Is this normal
31/01/2021 11:32:26

What do you think of this spanner and ER32 fitting? There are 16 grooves and 15 holes in the nut, so there is always a zone for tightening/undoing the collet without locking the spindle.

Alan

10-ER32 collet spanner- ghosted.jpg

Edited By Alan Jackson on 31/01/2021 11:35:02

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2021
28/01/2021 18:06:51

My jab, two days ago, was at the Wickford community centre Essex. I was there just before the 11,10 appointment and out of the building by about 11,05. They could not have been more efficient and pleasant. Well done NHS.

Alan

Thread: Coronavirus death stats
16/01/2021 11:28:47

"As Michael says, Raphael, my heart is with you too and all of your colleagues that face this virus and potential exhaustion in dealing with it on a daily basis." Good true words.

Alan

Thread: Chipmaster variator
16/11/2020 18:49:59

I did a similar thing to my old chipmaster. I described it in MEW 253. Repacing the variator with a modern inverter solves the problem of a worn variator.

Alan

Thread: Vickers Bl 8 inch Howitzer cannon of 1917
26/10/2020 10:08:58

Magnificent work Mal. It will be great to see this when it can be exhibited.

Alan

Thread: Why is this guys mini lathe parting off so well?
23/10/2020 11:02:09

Here is my version for a parting tool. The cutting tool is in compression, avoiding the flexure due to the conventional cantilevered parting tool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8HvS13L7MU

Alan

Thread: New Moderators
31/08/2020 18:02:17

Welcome Mike & Dave, well done by you.

Alan

Thread: The Workshop Progress Thread 2020
09/08/2020 10:33:12

Roderick, your guitar is a beautiful work of art - congratulaions

Alan

Thread: ML7 3jaw pratt burnard
21/07/2020 17:08:50

fastdave & Martin kyte, I am certainly not nimble fingered; it is not hard to adjust the jaws so that each spacer can be pushed in position with the jaws set to a push fit so to speak. Once this is set up I just tighten the jaws up more and have 'not yet' found that the spacers have moved due to centrifugal force etc. I run the chuck at about 300 rpm or so, no problem. If you are very safety orientated I suppose you should make the ring arrangement shown earlier, but its a lot of work for such a simple process.

Alan

Edited By Alan Jackson on 21/07/2020 17:10:15

19/07/2020 18:20:10

I made three equal length spacers cut from a steel ring and insert them as shown . Works very well

Alan

Chuck jaw grind

Edited By Alan Jackson on 19/07/2020 18:21:56

Thread: Help please identifying a large vertical slide
14/07/2020 13:12:19

It is a Harrison vertical slide. Strong and solid

Alan

Thread: Whats the tolerance??
04/07/2020 10:50:49

The benefit that model engineers have is that they are the only one working on their project and as such can make any part near enough to the dimensioned size on the drawing. The mating part can then be made to match, but the art is knowing how the mating part has to fit and work to suit the required operations. If drawings were provided with machining tolerances, it would force the maker to comply with rigid requirements that would make the part much harder to produce, as well as require remaking in some instances to achieve a size which is often really only a dimension put on the drawing to show the general outlines etc. Tolerances are required for components made by various outside sources in order that other parts from other sources can fit together and comply with the design requirements.

Imaging making the drawings for a clock, say, with toleranced dimensions. It would force the designer to now legally comply with ensuring that every clock made to these drawings will run like clockwerk, sorry could not resist it. Have you ever tried to go through a design ensuring that the tolerance build ups (that is adding and subtracting the variations in a design due to component tolerance extremes) to ensure it can still function when the worse variations of the mating components come together?

Alan

Edited By Alan Jackson on 04/07/2020 10:53:43

Thread: Which Lathe???
02/07/2020 12:43:19

Very happy with my old Chippee - yipee!

Alan

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Dreweatts
rapid Direct
JD Metals
walker midge
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest