By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for V8Eng

Here is a list of all the postings V8Eng has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Boiler making hearth
08/11/2009 19:49:10
Hi again.
If you have any friends in the jewellery trade, ask them to show you page 555 of the Cookson catalogue. (probably most other jewellers suppliers too).

You may have to wade through several web pages to see it all this way.
Some of it might be of interest for this type of work.

Niloch. Yes seen some Raku firing done this way, and the name Ian Gregory springs to mind on temporary kilns.

Edited By V8Eng on 08/11/2009 19:53:16

Edited By Katy Purvis on 19/06/2015 09:51:41

07/11/2009 19:17:37
Not at all sure of the facts about this (never built a boiler), but have you looked into using Kiln Bricks as used to manufacture Pottery Kilns?
There may be other materials that could cross over as well.

Might be worth asking Bath Potters supplies www.bathpotters.co.uk
Or try googling pottery equipment suppliers to see if there is one near you, they all seem very helpful.

Edited By V8Eng on 07/11/2009 19:30:08

Thread: Magazine supplies from Smiths reduced in 15% of stores
05/11/2009 21:31:49
My local WHS stocks ME and MEW. they do have a strange habit of shifting the displays about  regularly, so that the modelling mags tend to be in different locations, pity they are not as easy to find as the sweeties.

Wind chimes: irritating contraptions which never stop making a racket day or night! hope you do not live next door to me. 
Thread: Starting out
02/11/2009 21:59:21
Hi Jamea.

From your initial posting it is not clear as to what Model Engineering experience you have, so the following can only be general coments:-

Many people see superb exhibits at shows and think 'I'll start with one of those' this is often a mistake leading to an unfinished model plus a thoroughly disenchanted modeller.

I would say start with something straightforward that can be built in a fairly short time, when that is completed work your way up to more complicated models in stages.

A visit to something like the Model Engineering Exhibition is a good place to look at models, I find that model makers are very happy to talk about their models and give valuable insights about making Items, as are the manufacturers of kits.

Some FE Colleges do courses suitable for Model Engineering, the Tutors are usually very knowledgeable and give good advice.
If you have a local Model Railway (or Model Engineering) club, contacting them for advice may be a good idea.

Hope this helps, and is not too general.
Thread: Humidty
02/11/2009 19:43:52
I own a machine which had been stored in an uninsulated, and not particularly well roofed shed for a few years.
This had been covered in ordinary bubble wrap, and was virtually rust free, anything not under the wrap had gone extremely rusty.
Can someone explain this, or was it just a fluke?

I've never had time to investigate making machine covers out of bubble wrap, but have often wondered if it might be something worth testing out properly, under controlled conditions.

Thread: General Exhibition enquiries from members of this site.
02/11/2009 17:06:33
David.

Thanks for the info about ticket despatch, looks like it will be a great show.
30/10/2009 19:27:08
Hi.

I ordered 2 tickets on 23 August (online), when checking my order the status shows processed.
I have not received any tickets yet, is this normal or should I chase things up?
Thread: oil
26/10/2009 19:12:19
Why not just use the products Myford recommends? The lathe is a valuable long term investment for precision work, so why take risks with lubrication? I find that very little oil is needed anyway, and on that basis it is really cheap stuff.

The manual does have a lubrication chart (the one for my ML7 recommends a moly type grease for certain parts), whilst the original oils may not be available Myford will be able to advise the right alternative, and supply it.

If in doubt about lubrication, or other things, I would recommend contacting Myford, the staff are really helpfull and informative. As an aside they can even tell you when the machine was made from the serial number.

As suggested, do get a copy of Ian Bradley's Series 7 Manual, it is very useful.

Edited By V8Eng on 26/10/2009 19:31:23

Thread: kool mist
26/10/2009 18:46:33
I'm very curious to know what this is!
Thread: Wilf Baker's variable feed for mill
18/10/2009 20:09:20
OOPS.

Just noticed a number of errors in my post, and now the edit feature seems to have vanished!
18/10/2009 17:00:46
Hi Fred & John.

My comment about finding an Electrician was prompted by Fred's first post making me think he did not have enough basic knowledeg to takle this.
Burnt out electronic components can cost quite a bit if mistakes keep getting made as well.

As to it only being twelve volts, that does not automatically make everything safe, even lower voltages can cause fire or damage etc.
Sparks can set fire to solvents or gases.

I too was born when DC was supplied from local power stations in London. People used to  do things like charging batteries indoors with just a lamp in series from the mains, that was pretty dangerous with 200+ volts at the wire ends if the battery got disconnected, to say nothing of the explosive potential of a gassing battery!

Anyway thats enough of this, I hope you get the variable drive working.

Edited By MessyEng on 18/10/2009 17:01:42

Thread: Mini Lathe and Milling Machines
15/10/2009 18:48:43
From personal experience, I would say buy the best quality you can possibly afford.
Quality lasts, and this model engineering hobby tends to stick for life!

Edited By MessyEng on 15/10/2009 18:51:55

Edited By MessyEng on 15/10/2009 18:53:44

Thread: Wilf Baker's variable feed for mill
14/10/2009 19:04:43
Hello.

Please find a local Electrician to help with this, before you possibly do some real damage to yourself or the equipment.

Thread: boiler reg h.s.e
21/07/2009 18:57:09
Hello.

I got a useful little booklet at the last ME Exh, it is published by the Federations.
Lots of useful info in the publications section of their web sites.
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
BOLDON
rapid Direct
JD Metals
Eccentric July 5 2018
walker midge
Warco
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest