By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for chris stephens

Here is a list of all the postings chris stephens has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Metal spinning without the need for skill, well almost without the need
07/05/2018 23:37:57

thanks for compliment.

There is a black neoprene bedway cover that is always on the lathe, the paper and cloth were there for photographic contrast only. There is no need for any covering at all as there is no residue from the process.

I have just taken some photos of the roller in pieces which shows the cover. I'll load them as a YT video as a friend in the US asked for them.

07/05/2018 23:08:03

Sure is, and doing it this way you can vary the OD, within reason, unlike standard spinning or press tooling.

07/05/2018 22:23:21

Thanks for the compliment.

It's a random 10mm bore ball race from the scrap bin, and the dome shaped part is scrapbinium stainless, shaped by use of handwheels and a little bit of abrasive. I shall take a series of pictures of it in pieces and put them up as a video.

07/05/2018 21:13:38

Hi Guys, in case anyone is interested I put up a couple of videos showing the start of making some pieces for a friend, yes I do still have one or two left, using a bodger's way of metal spinning.

If you comment, please be kind or at least polite.:>

chriStephens

Edited By JasonB on 08/05/2018 07:10:52

Thread: Show and Tell Event for Forum Members?
06/05/2018 15:02:08

How about Brooklands in September?

Thread: Myford Lathe Tool Inserts
01/05/2018 13:21:59

Hi Collin, that's the kit but from that picture you can't see the squared ends of the other 'inserts'. I bought an unused set at a SMEE rummage sale, was not overly impressed compared to one of my homemade but have not experimented with varying the top rake yet, maybe one day.

30/04/2018 23:54:05

Hi Guys, are we forgetting that Myford, the original one, once supplied tangential toolholders?

Thread: Silver soldering contradiction
12/04/2018 13:58:13

Gap or no gap that is the question. Answer is staring you in the face, if you flux the joint, as you most assuredly must do, there will be enough of gap for the solder to flow into by capillary action. So for the naysayers, if you flux properly you do have a gap. Discuss.

chriStephens

Thread: M&W 7
20/02/2018 23:46:25

Agreed, and country of origin has absolutely no guarantee of quality, or the reverse, but my bone of contention is that there was a time when things had to say where they were made, so if you see Sheffield on something you are likely to assume the item was made there.

20/02/2018 17:56:45

Neil, it was Machine DRO that told me most of their (M&W) kit was now made in China. It's like cheap chinesium Record vices saying "Record Sheffield" rather than "made in Sheffield" hoping the buyer will think it's English.

19/02/2018 18:16:59

I'm not trying to be negative about the product but does anyone else think that they should say where they are made and not where the office is?

Thread: Multifix Threading tooling and options
02/02/2018 19:46:29

Hi Guys, now that a new password has at last been sent I can finally reply. The answer to the hefty price tag is to mill your own, after all they are only HSS.

chriStephens

Thread: Removing Myford S7 motor pulley
05/01/2017 20:19:36

Hi John,

Had a similar problem when I VFDed my Myford, so used heat to expand the pulley and then used a puller. Once off, I tackled the screw.

Thread: marlco thread parallels
29/07/2016 19:58:48

Hi Nobby,

MichaelG's answer gives all that is needed to operate the parallels, but if you are looking for "effective diameter" figures Machinery Handbook, Zeus or mdmetric.com/thddata.htm (where it is called pitch diameter.) will give all you need to know.

If you have digital calipers or Mic, measure the two parallels, reset zero and then measure with the thread between them, the figure on the digital reading will be the pitch/effective diameter directly with no need for any maths.

Hope this helps

chriStephens

Thread: Another great youtube channel
20/07/2016 13:00:52

He sure is, I subscribed after watching the first few minutes of his video on repairing Tom Lipton's level. As i have said here before, he is the perfectionists perfectionist with attention to detail way off the charts. An example for many of us to aspire to but sadly, I fear, few will equal.

Thread: In Memoriam
19/07/2016 13:26:19

Hi Ken,

Sorry to hear that, he was a lovely chap and will be missed. I remember the first time i came across him, he was wearing a home made ear trumpet saying it was so much better than a hearing aid as he could point it to the person speaking and cut out unwanted noise. Ever the practical person. Later we shared the SMEE stand where I got know him a little more.

chriStephens

Thread: Slitting saw arbours
05/07/2016 14:18:15

The best design slitting saw arbour I have seen so far is Stefan Gotteswinter's

www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRQPv4AG2HQ and part two

but Robrenz comes a novel second with his superglued one when he made his micro-Ohm meter probes. If you haven't come across him yet, he is a perfectionist's perfectionist with attention to detail scales off the charts.

Thread: Lapping - how to (cheaply)
14/06/2016 00:03:26

Hi Francis,

Take a look at Oxtool's video "surface plate calibration and conditioning"

13/06/2016 22:58:45

Hi Kwil,

Curious that you say kitchen granite boards are not flat, I bought one this very PM, 16X12 under £8, and looking at a reflection of a straight line it appears flat. I have not checked it thoroughly yet and I know it will never be inspection grade, but, for my sort of hack work it should work out fine.

chriStephens

Thread: Supply issue latest magazine
29/05/2016 17:33:40

The following does not reflect well on some model engineers but I could not find ME at one of my local WHS stores so I asked at the counter only to be told that they keep it behind the counter because it was getting stolen when on show! I shall not say which store to save the thief's embarrassment, oh hell let's embarrass him, Ruislip.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
Warco
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest