By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Windy

Here is a list of all the postings Windy has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Using Tig for Stellite hard facing
28/07/2018 14:28:40

If I could find some no 6 stellite in bar form might be able to make the followers with a brazed on tip then machine to radius required.

Old Triumph twins had brazed on tips for there followers I used to alter the radius on the standard ones to a racing profile many years ago

28/07/2018 11:54:22

This is relating to putting a no 6 stellite tip on my project cam followers.

Previously I used Oxy Acetylene but have got rid of those bottles as a safety issue at home.

I have a Tig welder and not attempted hard facing with it the no 6 stellite I have is 0.25"Ø.

The face of the follower is 19mmØ.

Any suggestions if I can Tig deposit the 0.25"Ø on that follower or will I need a thinner rod.

Also any tips how to deposit the stellite with Tig

Thread: fire warning
09/07/2018 09:51:29

Another common fire risk are disposable lighters while at Kingsbury water park with the hydro on a hot day the following happened.

A disposable lighter which I use a lot for firing the burners exploded on the bench and was like a rocket so keep them out of direct sunlight.

Thread: Sulphuric Acid
22/06/2018 13:59:55

Just came across this on a motorcycle enthusiasts site

The government has added sulphuric acid to its list of regulated substances in The Poisons Act 1972. Due to this latest amendment, as of July 1st, 2018, members of the public must have an Explosives Precursors and Poisons (EPP) licence to buy sulphuric acid above 15% concentration.

This legislation mainly affects retail customers

However, all motorcycle batteries must be filled by the retailer before being sold to a member of the public in the UK who does not possess a valid EPP licence.

Lithium-ion batteries are acid-free and are thus unaffected by the legislation.

AGM/GEL batteries (such as Motobatt) – those which are factory activated (pre-filled with acid at the time of manufacture) - are also unaffected.

Maintenance-free un-activated batteries & Traditional/Wet batteries – those which come with a separate acid pack for home-activation – are to be sold to the General Public pre-filled and charged if necessary.
EPP licencing is not required for batteries that are supplied with the acid already activated inside. These are exempt - as a filled battery is classified as ‘specific object’.

The exemption is provided by new paragraph 2 (9) (b) of the original Poisons Act 1972:

(9) A substance or mixture is excluded if … (b) it is contained in a specific object.

What is the reason for this legislation?
In response to a rise in acid-related violent crimes in recent years, the government had added Sulphuric Acid to its list of regulated explosives.

Thread: Motorcycle General Discussion
19/06/2018 20:32:13

Another good day at Elvington with fast record 135mph push bike and very fast motorcycles.

Fast lass Becci did 248mph as I left.

2018_0919june2018elvington0001.jpg

2018_0919june2018elvington0002.jpg

2018_0919june2018elvington0016.jpg

2018_0919june2018elvington0023.jpg

2018_0919june2018elvington0034.jpg

2018_0919june2018elvington0030.jpg

Edited By Windy on 19/06/2018 20:35:10

Edited By Windy on 19/06/2018 20:39:13

Thread: What did you do Today 2018
15/06/2018 15:24:55

1990 Renault passed mot an advisory but have all the bits was pleased emissions OK was well below CO and HC.
Have used premium petrol for a while things seem to run better on that.
Got steamer liner bored and honed last night so have to finish internals of the piston today then sort timings of exhaust ports in liner.
If I don’t get any hold ups might be able to test basic engine on compressed air before sorting fuel and water pumps at end of July.

Husband and Wife speed friends have donate a motorcycle for my project would save a lot of work if suitable a lot depends if room for the bits.

Helen would like to pilot it she was doing 152mph on one of there bikes at last Elvington on Tuesday will be riding Hubbies 180mph plus Generation 1 Hayabusa at Elvington again.

Makes an interesting life having friends like them.

No automatic alt text available.
No automatic alt text available.
14/06/2018 12:25:07
And now for something completely different. This guy is the holder of the British and Commonwealth bicycle speed record of 114mph - Neil Soupy Campbell. He intends to go one further and break the European record 127 mph during Straightliners top speed & wheelie Tuesday the 19th June at Elvington!

Remember online entries close Friday night. £25 extra after that. Here is the link https://www.straightlinersonline.co.uk/events/event/117-top-speed-tuesday-19th-june.html

Taking place Elvington Airfield, North #Yorkshire, England. Photo Adam Roberts. Please share and like this post and don't forget to follow us. #topspeed & #wheelie
Thread: Flash Steam
04/06/2018 17:22:47

My Midland friend has built a flash steam generator based on a Doble design to use the thickness of tube the Doble has you need some powerful bending machines to create the rows of Catherine wheels.

Edited By Windy on 04/06/2018 17:23:31

04/06/2018 13:49:45
Posted by JasonB on 04/06/2018 07:59:09:

Thanks for the confirmation Windy.

Still not sure if Jon would want to risk sitting behind a flash steam setup like yourssurprise

Sit in front of it but might need asbestos underpants.

04/06/2018 13:39:25
Posted by Jon Lawes on 04/06/2018 12:11:43:

I'm sure you would still need some sort of safety valve so maybe that needs to be certified in some way?

It's a very grey area, until I asked here I was getting very conflicting opinions.

With my new full scale project I know there will be some hassle for its generator it can depend on your insurance company have found you must stress it's a generator.

There are plenty of certified safety valves about but I found any pressure release at speed causes overheating of the tube.

If the various mechanical control systems like Dobles or modern electronics can be used that might be an answer.

If you can get Doble Steam Cars, Buses, Lorries and Railcars by J.N.Walton it's worth reading but can be a bit pricey. .

The photo taken of a steam bike this year is a mixture of old mechanical technology and modern electronic control systems.

04/06/2018 00:08:53
Posted by JasonB on 03/06/2018 20:57:15:

Where is Windy when you need him?

Have been involved with another project as far as model flash steam tethered hydroplanes a boiler certificate not required.

It's a steam generator I have had email convesations with various full size flash steam car enthusiasts in the past and it can be a grey area.

As one flash steam car man said there is very little to test apart from pressure but if a pressure fitting was to become detached could cause injury so he recommended having third party insurance that might open a can of worms.

Have decided more because of health and traveling distances to call it a day with the model hydro this year if conditions change might have a last run at Kingsbury later in the year.

After that will sell all the model hydroplane bits there's the boat, video's, spare parts, generators and all the writings of the good and bad modificatios.

I know it has done well over 130mph if it can be kept on the water.

Am now more involved with full scale motorcycle speed attempts something I have a lifelong interest in and with my spiritual speed record venue on my doorstep that takes my time.

Next top speed event at Elvington Tuesday 19th June

Edited By Windy on 04/06/2018 00:14:16

Edited By Windy on 04/06/2018 00:18:51

21/05/2018 00:09:46

A lovely day at Elvington pity about the side wind for the super fast boys and girls but found a new friend who wants to drive my car but not sure about the driving licence.
Nice to meet the Beeline boys and see some very creative machines the memory cells were working overtime today.
Learnt a certain gas turbine hydroplane will be at Coniston later in the year my friend Roger will have to brush up his turbine knowledge if we go again.
Its a good social day at Elvington and meeting fellow speed enthusiasts makes my day.

20 May Elvington

20 May Elvington7.jpg

20 May Elvington20 May Elvington.jpg

20 May Elvington

miss albatross.jpg

Edited By Windy on 21/05/2018 00:12:41

13/05/2018 22:59:46

Been some sand record breaking at Pendine today

Zef Eisenberg first man to do 200mph+...201.573

11/05/2018 09:36:29

For the high speed Lads and Lasses it's Pendine speed attempts this weekend then following week end Elvington records.

**LINK**

12/04/2018 17:42:49

Finally my friends the bike that does not exist has been shown at the NEC.

Here is a link to the pressure vessel being made plus a test blast.

**LINK**

26/03/2018 20:14:33
Posted by JasonB on 26/03/2018 15:31:59:

Saw this and thought of Windy - steam powered rocket anybody?

Just my sort of thing.

22/03/2018 07:16:22

The high pressure piston is only 0.034" larger in diameter than my flash steamer but it's stroke is a lot longer.

Seems to be a very standard type of compound steam engine it's the steam generator that's the key plus electronic control system.

Think they will be back for an FIM record attempt later in the year

20/03/2018 18:17:22

A lousy wet start to Elvington top speed meeting but what a surprise I had.

A team from the Isle of Man was there with a steam bike that had only run around an industrial site.

First run was over 49mph the next run over 72mpf the last run something went wrong so could not run.

It had data logger and many electronic control systems the engine was fairly conventional with a flash type generator.

.Engine

Steam bike

19/03/2018 22:48:08

Not long ago I treated myself to a Vertex 6inch rotary table I have an old 4inch table it looks like one I saw on a Centic milling machine.

The small one is certainly well made the Vertex was bought as am working on larger projects but the manual is not perfect so downloaded the Grizzly manual.

The Grizzly had a lever to engage the worm to reduce backlash where mine was just a knurled dial.

So did a quick modification and put a lever on it.

What a difference as when your grip is not that good the Grizzly type lever is a lot easier to use to eliminate back lash.

Tomorrow Elvington calls the Straightliners team have been setting the timed American mile course and conditions look good.

Will see if the fastest Granny can better her record of 264 mph on her bike the air should be denser but wind has to be the deciding factor for runs at that speed.

This machine is her new one after crashing the record one a few years ago.

Edited By Windy on 19/03/2018 23:13:57

Edited By Windy on 19/03/2018 23:19:05

Thread: Drawing board v CAD
18/03/2018 21:37:06

As a late starter with computers and for me the long slog learning Turbo cad have found it so useful.

I started with a very basic computer given to me by a student then had to upgrade to be able to use the early Turbo cad program I played with 3D but for me 2D was adequate.

Have a bit more modern cad program but the early version seemed easier to use

Read D.A.G. Browns Cad for model engineers to start with you don't have to spend a lot for an old cad program for what I was doing.

Regards my flash steamer things are not looking good for me to compete again as health problems don't suit wading in water and walking far.

Shame as when right it's capable of 130 mph plus as certain laps have proved.

Time is in short supply and hope my latest project gets running at end of the year.

That's the thing with all aspects of engineering the old brain cells are kept working.

Edited By Windy on 18/03/2018 21:38:02

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
mid gard rail Jan 2020
emcomachinetools
Warco
ChesterUK
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Allendale Electronics
Ausee.com.au
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest