By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Windy

Here is a list of all the postings Windy has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Flash Steam
04/06/2018 13:39:25
Posted by Jon Lawes on 04/06/2018 12:11:43:

I'm sure you would still need some sort of safety valve so maybe that needs to be certified in some way?

It's a very grey area, until I asked here I was getting very conflicting opinions.

With my new full scale project I know there will be some hassle for its generator it can depend on your insurance company have found you must stress it's a generator.

There are plenty of certified safety valves about but I found any pressure release at speed causes overheating of the tube.

If the various mechanical control systems like Dobles or modern electronics can be used that might be an answer.

If you can get Doble Steam Cars, Buses, Lorries and Railcars by J.N.Walton it's worth reading but can be a bit pricey. .

The photo taken of a steam bike this year is a mixture of old mechanical technology and modern electronic control systems.

04/06/2018 00:08:53
Posted by JasonB on 03/06/2018 20:57:15:

Where is Windy when you need him?

Have been involved with another project as far as model flash steam tethered hydroplanes a boiler certificate not required.

It's a steam generator I have had email convesations with various full size flash steam car enthusiasts in the past and it can be a grey area.

As one flash steam car man said there is very little to test apart from pressure but if a pressure fitting was to become detached could cause injury so he recommended having third party insurance that might open a can of worms.

Have decided more because of health and traveling distances to call it a day with the model hydro this year if conditions change might have a last run at Kingsbury later in the year.

After that will sell all the model hydroplane bits there's the boat, video's, spare parts, generators and all the writings of the good and bad modificatios.

I know it has done well over 130mph if it can be kept on the water.

Am now more involved with full scale motorcycle speed attempts something I have a lifelong interest in and with my spiritual speed record venue on my doorstep that takes my time.

Next top speed event at Elvington Tuesday 19th June

Edited By Windy on 04/06/2018 00:14:16

Edited By Windy on 04/06/2018 00:18:51

Thread: What did you do Today 2018
21/05/2018 00:09:46

A lovely day at Elvington pity about the side wind for the super fast boys and girls but found a new friend who wants to drive my car but not sure about the driving licence.
Nice to meet the Beeline boys and see some very creative machines the memory cells were working overtime today.
Learnt a certain gas turbine hydroplane will be at Coniston later in the year my friend Roger will have to brush up his turbine knowledge if we go again.
Its a good social day at Elvington and meeting fellow speed enthusiasts makes my day.

20 May Elvington

20 May Elvington7.jpg

20 May Elvington20 May Elvington.jpg

20 May Elvington

miss albatross.jpg

Edited By Windy on 21/05/2018 00:12:41

Thread: Motorcycle General Discussion
13/05/2018 22:59:46

Been some sand record breaking at Pendine today

Zef Eisenberg first man to do 200mph+...201.573

11/05/2018 09:36:29

For the high speed Lads and Lasses it's Pendine speed attempts this weekend then following week end Elvington records.

**LINK**

12/04/2018 17:42:49

Finally my friends the bike that does not exist has been shown at the NEC.

Here is a link to the pressure vessel being made plus a test blast.

**LINK**

26/03/2018 20:14:33
Posted by JasonB on 26/03/2018 15:31:59:

Saw this and thought of Windy - steam powered rocket anybody?

Just my sort of thing.

22/03/2018 07:16:22

The high pressure piston is only 0.034" larger in diameter than my flash steamer but it's stroke is a lot longer.

Seems to be a very standard type of compound steam engine it's the steam generator that's the key plus electronic control system.

Think they will be back for an FIM record attempt later in the year

20/03/2018 18:17:22

A lousy wet start to Elvington top speed meeting but what a surprise I had.

A team from the Isle of Man was there with a steam bike that had only run around an industrial site.

First run was over 49mph the next run over 72mpf the last run something went wrong so could not run.

It had data logger and many electronic control systems the engine was fairly conventional with a flash type generator.

.Engine

Steam bike

19/03/2018 22:48:08

Not long ago I treated myself to a Vertex 6inch rotary table I have an old 4inch table it looks like one I saw on a Centic milling machine.

The small one is certainly well made the Vertex was bought as am working on larger projects but the manual is not perfect so downloaded the Grizzly manual.

The Grizzly had a lever to engage the worm to reduce backlash where mine was just a knurled dial.

So did a quick modification and put a lever on it.

What a difference as when your grip is not that good the Grizzly type lever is a lot easier to use to eliminate back lash.

Tomorrow Elvington calls the Straightliners team have been setting the timed American mile course and conditions look good.

Will see if the fastest Granny can better her record of 264 mph on her bike the air should be denser but wind has to be the deciding factor for runs at that speed.

This machine is her new one after crashing the record one a few years ago.

Edited By Windy on 19/03/2018 23:13:57

Edited By Windy on 19/03/2018 23:19:05

Thread: Drawing board v CAD
18/03/2018 21:37:06

As a late starter with computers and for me the long slog learning Turbo cad have found it so useful.

I started with a very basic computer given to me by a student then had to upgrade to be able to use the early Turbo cad program I played with 3D but for me 2D was adequate.

Have a bit more modern cad program but the early version seemed easier to use

Read D.A.G. Browns Cad for model engineers to start with you don't have to spend a lot for an old cad program for what I was doing.

Regards my flash steamer things are not looking good for me to compete again as health problems don't suit wading in water and walking far.

Shame as when right it's capable of 130 mph plus as certain laps have proved.

Time is in short supply and hope my latest project gets running at end of the year.

That's the thing with all aspects of engineering the old brain cells are kept working.

Edited By Windy on 18/03/2018 21:38:02

11/03/2018 18:10:25

Finally got back in the workshop to start on the cylinder will finish bore for the liner tonight then the part I enjoy profiling the outside and creating the exhaust ports.
I think that is easy compared to when I see George another speed nut machining various car heads from castings on manual machines with the blueprint on the wall.
Will change my nickname to Swarthy again after today looking at my bucket.

machining cylinder outer.jpg

swarthy.jpg

11/03/2018 12:53:13

I'm not trying to blow my own trumpet but to show with very basic machine tools but loads of enthusiasm what is possible in these times  of must have.

In my younger days after having an Adept then 2inch Heighten Cadet lathe went up market to a £20 Pool Special, home made drill and use of gas bottles all in a 6 x 8 shed.

Bike frames were made outside using a plum bob and protractor no jigs.

My scrap yard specials took most of my meager wage always a problem finding money for competition entry fee's, Nitro (used 80% mix at times) mates coming with me helped with transport costs in my old battered van.

The following is my reply to Graham who had his Greenwood 3 wheeler going for records at 1971 Elvington records attempts.

Later on Graham had numerous classic cars for you to drool over Bugatti plus others his Facebook site has such a lot about the past record machines.

I don't realize how ancient I'm getting but still young at heart with speed dreams still to attempt and the same enthusiasm

Hi Graham it was the next bike I built with two blown engines that did 207.9mph average over f/s 1/4 mile that single engine machine had a 750 conversion on for a record meeting and on a run at the s/s Kilo it was probably doing 180mph terminal speed after a speed wobble at around the 160mph but powered through it. Unfortunately the return run the tyre went up in smoke and missed the record by about a 1/10th of a second. With the double gearboxes was the weak point.

Edited By Windy on 11/03/2018 12:54:45

Edited By Windy on 11/03/2018 13:02:27

Edited By Windy on 11/03/2018 13:05:14

Thread: Getting valves to seal.
11/03/2018 11:39:16

Here is Bobs article a bit dog eared.

b kirtleys pump valve dimensions.jpg

11/03/2018 11:24:32
Posted by John Rutzen on 11/03/2018 07:43:01:

Thanks David and Windy. What is a top hat style valve please? Is it the same as a shuttle with O ring. Can you do a drawing please? Windy I don't understand how you make that shape valve seat without it being a separate piece?

Hi John,

On my valve seats the bottom feed is no problem but the others I use either a drill or a slot milll of suitable diameter and hand grind to an internal angle.

I use a very slow speed to minimize chatter then solder a steel ball of the size am going to use in the valve to a piece of bar and rotate that ball on the seat to burnish the seat.

Think an article by Bob Kirtley 1990? ME explains how he makes his pump valves not sure if he makes his seats conical.

Will have a look and post the article when found.

11/03/2018 00:16:48

You get a lot of good advice on this forum this is how my hydro with very fast pump stroke valves are designed every thing is stainless steel. as you can see the ball seat is not flat.

I have very few times when the balls do not seat when it becomes awkward normally a bit of dirt is the problem.

pump valve.jpg

Thread: Problem With Corrosion Of Stainless Steel
10/03/2018 19:52:04

I used hardened magnetic stainless balls in my water pump on the hydro soon found they were no good and lost there sealing due to surface defects caused by corrosion.

316 balls were the solution but they are not very hard some can be drilled but have had no problems with them.

10/03/2018 11:21:46

Been one of those weeks when you have nice surprises.

A pal from the past brought me a film from his old cinema camera converted to DVD.

It showed our sprinting and drag racing times at Elvington, Silverstone, Santa Pod and think Fairford also Olivers Mount when Barry Sheene raced there plus memories of our local pub walk etc.

A bit later a trip to the Buckles Inn to the TR Register club meeting to race Scalectric on the Grand Prix course very entertaining seeing grown men just like kids.

Then a call from a couple of motorcycle enthusiasts they were having a look at a 1973 Triumph Trophy at a Batley shop and would I like to go with them.

While at the shop Helen was captivated by a Harley engine featherbed framed bike problem was the carbs caught her leg when sat on it.

Helen did 137mph on the sand at Pendine last year her name is now the sand queen

Next shop visit to was a well known sponsor in circuit racing I asked if I could take pictures of their racing machines and trophies the owner thanked me for asking as some scum bags had stolen some of his machines lately sometimes criminals take pictures to find easy break in places.

Also on 20th March Helen might be riding at Elvington Top Speed meeting and if conditions correct Becci will attempt to better her 264mph record.

With my project ordered a bespoke centrifugal cast iron liner will get two out of it buying it from Westwood Liners is cheaper than buying a piece of cast iron and all the waste involved.

Today a TR member with a 1933 AJS will visit me regarding a BMW boxer special he is building.

Things like this keep you active when 76.

Image may contain: motorcycle

Edited By Windy on 10/03/2018 11:23:20

Thread: How can you tell if 316 stainless is that and not 303 or 304 stainless
25/02/2018 12:27:09

Is there any home workshop way of checking if 316 stainless is that and not 303 or 304.

Reason an Ebayer is selling bar ends of various grade of stainless as having bought things that are not what they are advertised as I am cautious about Ebay sellers.

Please note this stainless bar end seller is probably OK. like the majority of sellers are.

Thread: Steam generator
26/01/2018 19:44:14

Carl did you consider using Nitrous Oxide for a liquid fuelled rocket here is a link to a rocket car powered using it and a common fuel

**LINK**

Knights Arrow was at Elvington a few years ago I think it was it's owner who took a lot of interest in my steamer when I was doing a demo fire up.

You never know there might be a flash steam car going up the drag strip someday.

knights arrow.jpg

Edited By Windy on 26/01/2018 19:55:25

Edited By Windy on 26/01/2018 20:05:30

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
TRANSWAVE Converters
Advertise With Us
Meridienne oct 2019
Eccentric Engineering
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest