By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Windy

Here is a list of all the postings Windy has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: The Workshop Progress thread 2018
12/09/2018 20:21:17

Filled the garden refuse bin to the top thought better clean up the garden.
I did dig up some spuds that's grown from the odd ones left in the ground from last year.
Managed to get into workshop this morning and did my first attempt at Tig coating stellite on a full size test piece cam follower.
Seems a lot easier than using oxy- acet have rough machined the test follower then a jig to make so can radius the foot.
Will play with the Alexander grinder and hope to do the follower foot radius with it otherwise could do it on the lathe or mill but don’t like grinding on them
The problem I have Tig welding have to do it without my specs even magnifier helmet lenses are not any good.
Very close up without specs things look large with no distortion bloody age related eye problem.

For speed nuts it's Elvington FIM and ACU record attempts this weekend.

_spuds.

Model and full size blank followerstellite0001.jpg

Tigged stellite tip blank follower

Alexander tool grinderRoughing machining stellite

Thread: Flash Steam Hydroplanes
11/09/2018 12:12:49

Spoke to my fellow model steam hydro enthusiast Bob after his day at Kingsbury Water Park he has the steamer going fast did a lap at 126mph and still accelerating.
But an aerodynamic problem arose and his hydro became airborne have been there myself at 130mph plus.
Another problem then happened on his last attempt a pipe fractured.
A problem if nobody takes the reins to run the meetings next year as the main organiser is talking of packing in that could be the end of Kingsbury.
If the venue is still available next year will have to get my hydro modifications finished now competition is hotting up again.
A bit of a long video showing three flash steam record holders of past and present at one meeting a few years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09kV1kxVgHk

Edited By Windy on 11/09/2018 12:14:18

Edited By Windy on 11/09/2018 12:18:21

Thread: One way to defeat Mr.Sod
06/09/2018 16:00:28

How often a small part your making goes missing and takes longer trying to find it than making a replacement.

I think heard it drop there but if you find it it's not near that place.

Thread: Flash Steam Hydroplanes
28/08/2018 13:02:52
Posted by Pete Rimmer on 28/08/2018 07:34:31:

Yeah that's my bike. It was only the second bike in the UK to crack 200mph on a totally standard engine. I owned it 12 years, started out bog standard, built two whole turbo systems for it and ended up making over 400hp

When I decided to sell it I waited a whole year for the right person to come along. Couldn't be happier for Andy he's a great guy.

Suppose we should be on Motorcycle General Discussion

Andy been in contact after his favourable comment I would be interested in your bike tuning days at speed attempts,

A change from the old Triumphs with Shorrocks blowers on big doses of Nitro.

28/08/2018 01:12:47

Pete Rimmer

I might know him a friend Andy did his first 205 mph at the last Elvington 2 day top speed.

He said the previous owner of his first generation Busa had fitted the turbo and it had a fast history.

It's record attempts next month and I will.be there.

27/08/2018 15:28:01
Posted by Hopper on 24/08/2018 04:30:11:

Its good that you help each other out. Let us know how he goes.

Have spoken to Bob today but he had to stay at home as family health problems had to come first.

27/08/2018 15:21:50
Posted by Pete Rimmer on 24/08/2018 09:51:23:

Hey Windy, I see you're into your landspeed racing. Were you at this week's top-speed Tuesday at Elvington?

I go to most of the Top Speed Events at Elvington it's a social meeting for me meeting new enthusiasts and competitors from my era.

At last 2 day event Pete Williams who is only a few months older than me did 180mph a bit slow as has done over 200mph also building a gas turbine 3 three wheel projectile.

Here is a link to Pete's early sprint bike **LINK**

At last Elvington a road legal bike did 258mph set only on a low boost setting 3 higher settings to play with hope it will be back for record attempts next month maybe the Isle of Man steam bike will be there as well.

24/08/2018 09:36:39
Posted by Hopper on 24/08/2018 04:30:11:

Its good that you help each other out. Let us know how he goes

You can find the results of the model hydroplanes in **LINK** details out at start of every month..

But will keep you informed as soon as I know how Bob got on.

Am hoping to see the full size speed record boats having a go at Coniston speed week 29 October to 2nd November.

Another fantastic meeting and hope so see Miss Albatross perform again to better its record some of the teams helpers I meet at the Elvington straightliners meetings **LINK**

Miss Albatross team **LINK**

24/08/2018 03:23:40
My model flash steam hydroplane friend Bob and at present time record opposition phoned the other night about this weekends 2 day meeting at Kingsbury water park.
His model is going very well and last time out did its fastest timed run 124.77 mph.
He discussed his high temperature problems to his cast iron piston and cylinder my engine has very few problems that way.
We discussed the dry lubricants we use moly and graphite.
I use moly on the cam and stellite follower with favourable results.
The steel cylinder liner plus cast iron piston are coated generously with Graphos again very few mishaps.
Bob uses moly on the piston told him I found when I used it on the steam inlet poppet valve it seized I think the very high temperature altered its properties and it seemed abrasive.
Moly dry paste temperature range -50°C to +450°C. according to Rocol.
So Bob was going to clean the moly from the piston then coat with Graphos.
His model engine is a work of art compared to my agricultural looking one.
The moral of the story is you help your competition even if your advice means he could break your speed record.
I see the same thing at the motorcycle speed meetings I attend.
I would like to see him with the record again as he has held it many times and his article in the 1990 Model Engineer Magazine inspired me to have a go at making one.
Records are there to be broken and all the best to Bob on Sunday.

Edited By Windy on 24/08/2018 03:26:03

Edited By Windy on 24/08/2018 03:28:20

Thread: 1.1 kW electric motor burns up..
23/08/2018 12:29:38

I had an old round column Warco with similar sized motor and at highest speed burnt out my friend found a similar size quality one at an auto jumble for £25.

Until he found it I had some Brook Crompton 1/2hp motors and managed with a bit of modification to fit one to keep mobile but just used the lower speeds.

Thread: fantastic service
13/08/2018 10:18:39

I find Ketan very helpful he explained some of the downsides of a product I wanted from him a pity not every trader is as forthcoming as he is.

Thread: Using Tig for Stellite hard facing
28/07/2018 14:28:40

If I could find some no 6 stellite in bar form might be able to make the followers with a brazed on tip then machine to radius required.

Old Triumph twins had brazed on tips for there followers I used to alter the radius on the standard ones to a racing profile many years ago

28/07/2018 11:54:22

This is relating to putting a no 6 stellite tip on my project cam followers.

Previously I used Oxy Acetylene but have got rid of those bottles as a safety issue at home.

I have a Tig welder and not attempted hard facing with it the no 6 stellite I have is 0.25"Ø.

The face of the follower is 19mmØ.

Any suggestions if I can Tig deposit the 0.25"Ø on that follower or will I need a thinner rod.

Also any tips how to deposit the stellite with Tig

Thread: fire warning
09/07/2018 09:51:29

Another common fire risk are disposable lighters while at Kingsbury water park with the hydro on a hot day the following happened.

A disposable lighter which I use a lot for firing the burners exploded on the bench and was like a rocket so keep them out of direct sunlight.

Thread: Sulphuric Acid
22/06/2018 13:59:55

Just came across this on a motorcycle enthusiasts site

The government has added sulphuric acid to its list of regulated substances in The Poisons Act 1972. Due to this latest amendment, as of July 1st, 2018, members of the public must have an Explosives Precursors and Poisons (EPP) licence to buy sulphuric acid above 15% concentration.

This legislation mainly affects retail customers

However, all motorcycle batteries must be filled by the retailer before being sold to a member of the public in the UK who does not possess a valid EPP licence.

Lithium-ion batteries are acid-free and are thus unaffected by the legislation.

AGM/GEL batteries (such as Motobatt) – those which are factory activated (pre-filled with acid at the time of manufacture) - are also unaffected.

Maintenance-free un-activated batteries & Traditional/Wet batteries – those which come with a separate acid pack for home-activation – are to be sold to the General Public pre-filled and charged if necessary.
EPP licencing is not required for batteries that are supplied with the acid already activated inside. These are exempt - as a filled battery is classified as ‘specific object’.

The exemption is provided by new paragraph 2 (9) (b) of the original Poisons Act 1972:

(9) A substance or mixture is excluded if … (b) it is contained in a specific object.

What is the reason for this legislation?
In response to a rise in acid-related violent crimes in recent years, the government had added Sulphuric Acid to its list of regulated explosives.

Thread: Motorcycle General Discussion
19/06/2018 20:32:13

Another good day at Elvington with fast record 135mph push bike and very fast motorcycles.

Fast lass Becci did 248mph as I left.

2018_0919june2018elvington0001.jpg

2018_0919june2018elvington0002.jpg

2018_0919june2018elvington0016.jpg

2018_0919june2018elvington0023.jpg

2018_0919june2018elvington0034.jpg

2018_0919june2018elvington0030.jpg

Edited By Windy on 19/06/2018 20:35:10

Edited By Windy on 19/06/2018 20:39:13

Thread: What did you do Today 2018
15/06/2018 15:24:55

1990 Renault passed mot an advisory but have all the bits was pleased emissions OK was well below CO and HC.
Have used premium petrol for a while things seem to run better on that.
Got steamer liner bored and honed last night so have to finish internals of the piston today then sort timings of exhaust ports in liner.
If I don’t get any hold ups might be able to test basic engine on compressed air before sorting fuel and water pumps at end of July.

Husband and Wife speed friends have donate a motorcycle for my project would save a lot of work if suitable a lot depends if room for the bits.

Helen would like to pilot it she was doing 152mph on one of there bikes at last Elvington on Tuesday will be riding Hubbies 180mph plus Generation 1 Hayabusa at Elvington again.

Makes an interesting life having friends like them.

No automatic alt text available.
No automatic alt text available.
Thread: Motorcycle General Discussion
14/06/2018 12:25:07
And now for something completely different. This guy is the holder of the British and Commonwealth bicycle speed record of 114mph - Neil Soupy Campbell. He intends to go one further and break the European record 127 mph during Straightliners top speed & wheelie Tuesday the 19th June at Elvington!

Remember online entries close Friday night. £25 extra after that. Here is the link https://www.straightlinersonline.co.uk/events/event/117-top-speed-tuesday-19th-june.html

Taking place Elvington Airfield, North #Yorkshire, England. Photo Adam Roberts. Please share and like this post and don't forget to follow us. #topspeed & #wheelie
Thread: Flash Steam
04/06/2018 17:22:47

My Midland friend has built a flash steam generator based on a Doble design to use the thickness of tube the Doble has you need some powerful bending machines to create the rows of Catherine wheels.

Edited By Windy on 04/06/2018 17:23:31

04/06/2018 13:49:45
Posted by JasonB on 04/06/2018 07:59:09:

Thanks for the confirmation Windy.

Still not sure if Jon would want to risk sitting behind a flash steam setup like yourssurprise

Sit in front of it but might need asbestos underpants.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric Engineering
Meridienne Sept 2019
Advertise With Us
Warco
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest