By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Windy

Here is a list of all the postings Windy has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2020
19/05/2020 20:09:16

Done some more on the countershaft

countershaft blank

countershaft machining 008.jpg

Another stage

2020_0517plateaplate0003.jpg

polished countershaft0005.jpg

polished countershaft0006.jpg

30/04/2020 10:38:19

Am at the stage of making the countershaft for my big flash steam project had a friend from my speed scene offered to rough out the shape on his industrial CNC machine from one lump of Aluminium.

Have decided to fabricate it myself It will be lighter and certainly material price a lot cheaper.

I bought an Aldi bandsaw apart from the crap vice which I did a simple modification to which helped clamping.

Will eventually replace with an improved vice.

The amount of steel and aluminium with the original bandsaw blade I have cut has been worth me getting it.

The video is not good but shows it cutting at near the limit of the size it will take.

That lump of aluminium Its cutting is for part of the countershaft body.

After years of hand power cutting sometimes large lumps of material this small bandsaw has been a Godsend.

**LINK**

Edited By Windy on 30/04/2020 10:39:52

Thread: Aging rubber and plastic
19/04/2020 10:09:47

I had Clarks as well and only used a few ties then fell apart.

Was looking a while ago at the materials used in shoes and one has to be worn regular or it degeades

Thread: Covid-19 NHS letter saying I am at high risk.
14/04/2020 22:19:35

When I received the Government NHS letter saying I had to stay in for 12 weeks as regards the high risks to myself due to me having had Lymphoma could not understand why it had been sent as have been given the OK for over a year.
Had a phone call from my Doctor this morning was told those letters were sent out in a rush and that surgery Doctors have now to check if correct.
My Doctor said that the 12 week isolation does not apply to me now and can do the recommended outside activity if I want to.
If my Lymphoma treatment had not worked would have gone downhill fast.
Doctor told me to be careful due to my age so have phoned all the kind people that helped me to thank them.
Be a pleasant change doing a walk instead of up and down my staircase.

Keep safe and don’t take any unnecessary risks

Edited By Windy on 14/04/2020 22:22:06

Thread: Keeping busy
26/03/2020 23:32:14

Am fortunate I have a small garden so digging up my wild flowers (weeds) etc.

Then a break getting meals ready and watch the news.

Do a few exercises to try to help the old creaking gate

Workshop for a few hours there's plenty to do or modify.

Any minor work to do in the house as a last resort.

Always books to read or contact other old gits to see if ok in this dodgy virus time.

Can do a check on the Straight liners Facebook and other bike or car groups some posts are hilarious or informative on builds.

I thought was in the wild as no noise from vehicles as live near a busy road and just the birds chirping.

Was good to see some fellow neighbours at 8pm clapping the NHS and other front line workers at this stressful time.

So a busy day I will not get bored.

Edited By Windy on 26/03/2020 23:34:01

Thread: Do your bit and help each other
22/03/2020 23:33:01

I have always tried to be independent but am looking like an old crock.

The kindness shown by neighbours. friends and strangers is very moving.

In times when everybody is at risk World wide it's amazing how the good of the human race is coming forth.

Thread: Motorcycle General Discussion
17/03/2020 22:55:40

Something to show how to covert a four stroke to a two stroke a bit long but it worked.

No fancy workshop perfectionists might grimace.

**LINK**

Thread: Coronavirus
17/03/2020 10:35:36
A small group of car and motorcycle speed enthusiasts are at Elvington today I normally attend but have decided to give it a miss.
The following I posted on the Elvington Top Speed sight as some my friends are competing.
Wish I was there but this old fogys taking no risks with this esculating virus risk. The good of Humanity is being brought to the fore to help vulnerable people. Apart from months of a sniffle and a slight cough am feeling fine. Am fortunate to have a computer and home workshop to keep me busy. There are many older generation that do not have a PC and some that do not have a phone so help them if possible..
Thread: Another engine
12/03/2020 10:55:03

Anyone know anything about this engine would like to see exploded drawings of it.

**LINK**

Thread: Motorcycle General Discussion
11/03/2020 16:24:10

Tuesday 17th March 2020 is the first Top Speed meeting at Elvington.

Apart from other machines trying for PB Graham will be testing his steam rocket machine.

This should be on a full tank last month he had a private shakedown run test at Elvington.

**LINK**

Thread: ER collet chuck/mill incompatibility?
07/03/2020 15:15:41

I was supplied with a ER collet chuck from Warco when I purchased a mill from them.

The chuck had no means of holding the body so I used a carbide end mill and machined spanner flats on it.

As the chuck body had been hardened had to use a carbide cutter it did the job ok.

Edited By Windy on 07/03/2020 15:16:29

Thread: ME taps and dies
17/02/2020 13:50:36

I have migrated to Metric and they have a good range of pitches all my large collection of ME have been disposed of now.

Off the shelf mm fasteners are easier to find as well.

17/02/2020 11:30:38

I used 40 tpi on my stainless flash steam pump ball valves and used to screw cut them and finish with a Tracy tools carbon die.

Most were ok but had to watch for sometimes a small bit of metal would seem to weld to the die thread a bit like ally can build up on a turning tool.

That same build up of metal on a tap would sometimes happen as well so check your taps and dies threads are crisp and clean.

Use plenty of threading lube

Thread: scam alert
10/02/2020 22:52:47

Looks like I received another scam today supposedly from my Email provider have reach the storage limit on it.

Was suspicious as not from my provider.

Have contacted them to check validity will just wait and see.

Just got to be cautious with the internet.

Windy

Thread: Windows 7 support ends
31/01/2020 23:52:20

Have upgraded my 64 bit laptop as well with 10 less difficult than the main 32 bit desktop.

Only problem was getting wireless network to connect after the 10 install but finally sorted it.

29/01/2020 23:42:38

I still get support from Norton on a spare ancient PC that uses XP.

Well bit the bullet and did an upgrade to Windows 10 for nothing .

A local computer firm gave me advice he reckons the freebee will be stopped soon.

Apart from what seems more complicated at first am getting the hang of W10.

All my antique programs seem to be working.

Edited By Windy on 29/01/2020 23:43:44

Thread: scam alert
24/01/2020 14:03:40

It's not that easy at times what you think might be a scam sometimes is genuine.

I got one on a survey of my bank so did a face to face check with the bank concerned before I opened it.

A genuine survey and they did not need personal or financial details.

Banks etc.I physically check with them I do not use the phone or email to talk to them.

Thread: Tuna Can Blower
23/01/2020 10:27:58

Recycling

Thread: Windows 7 support ends
15/01/2020 11:08:41

Can you PC buffs clarify something regarding the end of support for Windows 7 many of my programs are old and will they work on Windows 10.
I am on Norton security will that cope with any nasty's if I still use Windows 7.
PC World recommends not using IE if still on Windows 7 as not security supported on that 7 system.
Would prefer to stay on Windows 7 if it’s safe with just the Norton security.
Thread: 2020 Had my full size flash steam engine running
14/01/2020 01:28:35

Have been looking at full size water pump pulsation dampeners the industrial ones would make a hole in my wallet.

Been thinking of certain paint ball and aqua diving bottles that might be a possibility.

They are available in many sizes and pressures to 45000 psi they are aluminium or carbon fibre.

Any thoughts and designs that members might know of.

Would prefer to buy one that is certificated otherwise might make one.

**LINK**

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
JD Metals
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest