By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Windy

Here is a list of all the postings Windy has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Dynamic balancing
17/11/2009 17:50:47
Hi, I would like to thank the forum for all the knowledge that is being posted and the entertaining useful hits and tips by two of the regular contributors, keep up the good work. I would like to know if there is anybody in the Yorkshire region that does dynamic balancing for the model engineer. I did think of making a balancer but its not worth it for a one off. The turbo charger repair lads have machines that go up to 250,000rpm but are set up for turbo chargers only. The maximum rpm that I am thinking of is 80,000. One engineering forum website has a very basic dynamic balancer but only up to 8,000rpm, any suggestions gratefully received. 
                                                                                     Windy 
Thread: Flash Steam Hydroplanes
17/11/2009 12:27:46

Hi, pleased that it was interesting if you go on www.onthewire.co.uk a great site for venues, dates, history and present day tethered car and hydroplane activities.>>

I am trying show tethered hydroplane racing is still alive and kicking as there is not much about it in the magazines.>>

This is my procedure for a flash steam hydro run.

Warm up on the bench, check water and fuel, fit starter cord, make sure bridle wires are clear, wade out and fasten to attachment wire, fasten bungee to front sponson hook, bungee and hydro supported by helper while I pressurise burner, when hot enough close steam release valve, pump water to generator till you feel pressure then pull starter cord.

When engine starts helper steps back and I load the engine with the propeller in the water, as the power builds you give a push to the boat and pray.

Speed builds up on every lap, when I think it’s fast enough my hand goes up for 5 100 metre timed laps.

It was going very fast and did over 107 mph but if timed 2 laps earlier 113 mph plus would have been achieved.

Checking video of run with stopwatch 2 laps before timed laps verified 113mph speed. The flash steam record is 120+mph held by Bob Kirtley. See him go on a fast run and my hydro seems slow.

Timing is done by 3 stopwatches and the average taken.

H/S is an issue we take very seriously e.g. all bridle wires can only be bought from one source and are tested, there are rules for the various classes.

Hope this rekindles interest in a very old side of Model Power Boat Racing.

>>

17/11/2009 01:59:54
Thread: Professor Chaddock
05/11/2009 12:39:26
Thank you Weary, I have searched that sight and now have the information that I require.
This forum is exellent ask for help and a fellow enthusiast will give you guidence.

Windy
05/11/2009 10:51:33
Hello all, one of my P.E.E.M.S. club members mentioned that Professor Chaddock had wrote some articles in M.E. on making turbine blades using a homemade copying attachment.
Would anybody be able to tell me the M.E. volume number that the article was printed in or any other articles relating to turbines he wrote.

Windy
Thread: MYFORD 254S Lathe
01/11/2009 19:01:41
Hello Andre, sorry I can't help with the wiring but your comment about company web-sites hit a nerve. After many hours trawling through the SKF bearing web-site cataloque I found 4 precision hybrid bearings suitable for my project. The SKF distributor for my area could not get any useful response from them and I e-mailed SKF head office, guess no reply. Eventually found some on the GTBA web-site. It seems unless you are spending thousands of pounds the large companies dont want your custom. Hope you get your wiring sorted.

Windy
Thread: Visiting UK
24/10/2009 02:10:03
I see York has been mentioned apart from the NRM there is the aircraft museum at Elvington on an airfield where numerous World and National speed records have been broken.
Thread: Books for beginers
13/10/2009 21:51:35
Hello Alan, we all have to start at the beginning at whatever we do, may I suggest as a newcomer to Model engineerig join a club if you haven't already.
Some clubs have a libary or maybe somebody who could advise you on lathe work.
As an amateur engineer myself you will amaze your self at what you can create out of various materials.
It might not be a show stopper but its what you made.
As an elderly friend once said to me if you think you can not do something join the try company (health and safety issues to be considered).
All the best for joining the ranks of the metal munchers.

Windy

Edited By Windy on 13/10/2009 22:12:10

Thread: valve springs
11/10/2009 00:48:46
Hello, you will probably have sorted your springs by now but another web site that has numerous software programs for springs and many other engineering things is the Steam Automobile Club of America.
Go to resources and links then software for people who build things by Marv Klotz.
Apart from springs, programs for cams, valve timing etc.

Windy.
Thread: Douglas engine......again
10/10/2009 23:30:39
Hello Rob,
                   A very good site as an old ex motorcycle enthusiast who had a Douglas many years ago it brought back some pleasant memories. It lookes first class keep up the good work. 

Windy.
Thread: Steam turbines
06/10/2009 22:23:22
Thanks Meyrick for the advice and will consider all the options before finally cutting metal. 
06/10/2009 20:03:46
Hello Fred nice to hear from you I have that book also the one by H H Harrison. 
Another The  Book of  Modern Engines 1911 has articles about De Laval turbines and precautions in design  that were took to minimize wheel bursts plus calculations for the nozzles etc.
Thanks for your message.

06/10/2009 10:27:27
Thank you for your reply, I realise that there are many things to take into consideration when designing very high speed machines.
Having seen  spin testing on video and the destruction when materials disintergrate, one test cell was ripped off its mountings.
The miniature gas turbine builders have inconel rotors that may be suitable but are the blades of a shape for an impulse steam turbine?

05/10/2009 19:43:30
I am designing  a steam turbine for my Hydroplane and hope that someone will be able to answer a few questions for me.
All the parts will be homebuilt with manual machines, no CNC.
The turbine will probably be an impulse type on the lines of a De Laval with a second stage?
It will have ceramic bearings because of the rpm.
As a matter of safety what I would like to know in laymans terms, no long formulas the bursting speed in rpm of various steels of diameters from 2 inch to 4 inch.
Also the most suitable shape for an impulse vane and ways to machine it.
Any books on the subject especialy about impulse staging on small turbines and finally other ways of reducing speed more efficiently than gears.
Thanks for a very good web site, Windy
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric July 5 2018
Advertise With Us
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
Meridienne Sept 2019
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest