By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Windy

Here is a list of all the postings Windy has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Motorcycle General Discussion
01/12/2018 12:03:21
Posted by thaiguzzi

Very nice.

I presume alignment is on the top portion with the knife edges, and the balancing done below on the 2 pairs of brgs?

Many years ago, we did static balancing on our knife edges too.

Bob R - lovely work on the pre unit single.

The bearings are mainly for aligning the pressed up crankshaft similar to a Alpha-Tru aligner the straight edges for balancing.

alpha tru

30/11/2018 20:19:17
Posted by ronan walsh on 30/11/2018 16:48:41:

Lovely work Windy, please show and tell us more about it.

The crankshaft aligner or the crank on it.

30/11/2018 20:15:36

Amazing what can be done Bob in a home workshop

29/11/2018 13:49:39

Yesterday was talking to two fellow motorcycle speed record nuts hopefully next year a Gem gas turbine streamliner will be tested.

Friend Graham should be giving a talk at PEEMS club early next year about his steam rocket bike a work of engineering excellence.

Myself finished last night my crankshaft aligning with detachable straight edges for balancing jig.

The base feet and straight edges can be adjusted for levelling.

Apart for £2 for shims everything else was from my spares box the 20mm ally was donated by another speed enthusiast.

Crankshaft aligner and  balancing

Crank aligner

Edited By Windy on 29/11/2018 13:56:46

Thread: High tensile steel
22/11/2018 20:52:22

What about using a full size vale and machining to the size you require.

My flash steamer valve is a Rover K series exhaust valve and can machine with sharp HSS tools.

Make sure its valve with a non welded head also check material some pattern valves are not that good.

En 21-4N is good genuine old 650 Triumph exhaust valves were made of that cheaper types would tulip or worse.

02/11/2018 16:23:04

Not so much about motorcycles but saw an impressive 125cc single cylinder GRM two-stroke powered hydroplane at Coniston speed week.

It broke National and World records for its class 84mph one way then 85mph return.

GRM make single cylinder, two cylinder and four cylinder two stroke outboard engines.

Am reminded of the Konig that was converted to racing sidecar use.

I said to my friend Roger it looks like you could make one in a home workshop.

Some links to GRM

http://www.grmracing.com/

**LINK**

Thread: Warco VMC worklight
25/10/2018 20:11:16

I bought two packets of these from Ebay it says UK but they come from China for £5.84.

5Pcs 24V G5.3 35W/50W Base Halogen Bulbs Light Lamp Bulb UK

The pins are a bit thicker but can be modified to fit the VMC lamp holder also slightly longer on the bulb glass.

At that price was worth a risk I had a similar one before and it lasted nearly 2 years.

20/10/2018 15:01:21

A bit of my whittling today a lot more to do

2005_0101picrankcasemachining0008.jpg

2005_0101picrankcasemachining0001.jpg

20/10/2018 11:00:28
Posted by Chris Evans 6 on 20/10/2018 10:09:29:

Keep it coming, my racing days are over but I love the speed scene.

It keeps me feeling young seeing old and new friends at these speed attempts.

As many of us know the clocks ticking but the more I see the age of some riders the more I want to get my project finished.

Helen and Andy have a complete Honda minus engine for my steam machine that would save a lot of time as just buying the cycle bits separate would be expensive.

The V8 Skoda was driven to Prague in the company of Grahams Hillman Imp and an old Mini they had a few minor breakdowns on the way but like many old cars you don't need a computer to do a roadside repair.

I'm back in the workshop whittling the full scale crankcases outside dimensions that is mainly cosmetic so ally is flying.

20/10/2018 00:26:28

I had an enjoyable day on Tuesday at Elvington final top speed meeting of 2018.

As I'm interested in high speed steam vehicles it was good to see Graham Sykes doing stability tests towed then released at 90 plus mph runs on a steam rocket bike.

When he has finished the on off valves for the De-Laval nozzles it will be fired in anger commercial valves are not up to the job.

Once the removable heat source has heated the water the motorcycle has no electrics it's all hydraulic and pneumatic controls.

Helen and Andy two speed friends Andy did his first 200+mph a few months ago Helen the sand queen of Pendine at 137mph she went faster today 143.502mph on a £500 Honda 600cc.

Steve Bland did 259mph on a Busa .

A Skoda that had just driven back from a Prague motor show has a Tatra V8 air cooled engine powering it.

Another car the Hulk did 242mph there were plenty of conventional bikes as well as some unusual ones.

graham sykes force of nature steam machine.jpg

Steve bland 259.579 mph machine.

242mph

.V8 Tatra powere Skoda

V8 Tatra

The sand Queen

Thread: Warco VMC worklight
13/10/2018 21:42:58
Posted by Vic on 13/10/2018 19:56:11:

Is it this type?

**LINK**

It's longer and fatter than mine the pins are 6mm apart diameter 10mm total length 36mm

13/10/2018 19:32:59

I have a Warco VMC milling machine bought in 2011 the halogen work light bulb has gone again.

If correct it's 24 volts but don't know the watts as have not any information of size.

All labels have gone can someone tell me size please.

Thread: Aldi Charger - Confidence Dented
03/10/2018 16:40:15

Many years ago when working at a Renault garage about 1990 the same year as my present Renault car there was some printed circuit dash boards on new cars that had dry joints.

A local car electronics repairer used to use a miniature gas heated soldering iron as I think he was concerned an electric iron might have an effect on some electronics parts on the boards.

Thread: Vertex BS-0 dividing head ?
26/09/2018 00:14:39
Posted by not done it yet on 25/09/2018 21:33:52:

Was this on the generator side? I’ve never had a magneto with brushes (apart from in the distributor side). All mine simply induce a current (at firing time) with a moving magnet, and coil arrangement to raise the voltage. Never looked at a bonneville, etc magneto.

Here is a link to a few magneto's of many old motorcycles

The brushes are in the holders for the HT leads

**LINK**

25/09/2018 20:20:35
Posted by ronan walsh on 25/09/2018 19:41:40:
Posted by Windy on 25/09/2018 19:04:30:

Have had an Indian tool and will not buy another tool from India it was replaced .

The replacement was no better have a few Vertex tools and they are OK for the price.

Whatever about China, anything from India is truely junk. I have made the mistake of buying some spares for my old triumph and bsa, that turned out to be from India. They were worse than the original worn out parts.

I helped a friend time a Triumph 650cc rebuilt engine and could not get it running smoothly the culprit Indian magneto carbon brushes they were as soft as ### arcing round the slip ring.

25/09/2018 19:04:30

Have had an Indian tool and will not buy another tool from India it was replaced .

The replacement was no better have a few Vertex tools and they are OK for the price.

Thread: Guess make
25/09/2018 18:30:58

How many times has someone created something unique in the past for it to be ignored or condemned then years later appreciated.

How boring are modern vehicles they all are so similar.

25/09/2018 16:18:30
Posted by MichaelR on 25/09/2018 15:32:44:

Scarlotti with Rover V8 Engine ?

Correct think it's a discovery chassis and body has many recycled bits on it the curved bits on the windscreen are from a hairdressing salon.

Many other things like Rolls Royce headlights the side tanks are dummy. a hell of a lot of recycled parts in the build found we had mutual friends from the motorcycle speed scene.

It is on the web as well

**LINK**

25/09/2018 14:37:20

Had an interesting time at York Classic car show I was in my friends TR6 then met the owner of a very unusual vehicle.

Think last time we met was in about 1970 at Elvington?

The owners of Japanese classic bikes were on show as well.

A very good local old vehicle show meeting many fellow enthusiasts.

2018_York car show

2018  York car show

Thread: What did you do Today 2018
15/09/2018 01:23:30

Machined radius on test piece cam follower with a carbide cutter will try the Alexander grinder on it tomorrow with a light skim.

I put a test bar in the chuck first and found the jaws need truing as slightly tapered another grinding job.

So used an ER collet chuck I had modified to fit the Myford thread to hold the follower radius aid.

As a first attempt to Tig stellite apart from an inclusion probably a bit of tungsten electrode when I touched with electrode it 's better than I thought it would be.

So this weekend 3 blanks to build up with stellite after have been to see record attempts at Elvington.

A French World record attempt contender will be there with a custom 500cc bike.

test follower.jpg

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Advertise With Us
Warco
ChesterUK
TRANSWAVE Converters
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Meridienne oct 2019
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest