By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Windy

Here is a list of all the postings Windy has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2021
20/09/2021 02:38:48

Been a busy few days a week ago my adopted speed family took me to Santa Pod for the European Nationals and witnessed a hydrogen peroxide steam rocket bike doing mind blowing speeds.

Then at Elvington and saw how strong composite motorcycle rear wheels are.

Jack Frost a regular 250mph rider that did 269mph at an earlier meeting had a tyre blowout at about 250mph.

With skilful riding he kept the bike upright just riding on the composite wheel rim.

He has a very bruised backside with crushed discs.

This Saturday and Sunday Melbourne Raceway was my next port of call.

It was a pleasure to see very young lads and lasses riding small machines they are so enthusiastic.

One of the paramedics his lad was having a go it's a big family event as I said to one Mother is your lass going to be a future Beccy Ellis the current fastest UK woman at 264mph.

Mums reply Beccy will have to retire sometime.

When home had my old banger on stands ready to check over for MOT time then another session making the 5 litre fuel tank for my flash steam project.

Thread: Small bandsaw needed
20/09/2021 01:54:44

I have an Aldi one and cut large blocks of aluminium and en24t with it

Thread: Tig welder controls not working correctly
02/09/2021 09:06:47

Had a call from Tech arc is what I thought the control circuit board had capacitors blown was not imagining that flash reflected on cooling vent.

Board and labour £133 not sure if vat on that a new welder costs £950 just hope that sorts it.

29/08/2021 13:01:58
Posted by John Olsen on 29/08/2021 12:09:23:

From my long experience of electronics I would say that the magic smoke has escaped from one or more devices inside. I suspect that unless you are very experienced with power electronics you are not going to be able to fix it yourself, so checking with the manufacturer is probably your best bet. The problem with fixing this sort of stuff is that a low level fault can easily destroy a power device, so you come along, spot the obviously blown up power device, and promptly destroy another one because the original fault is still there. Fuses don't operate fast enough to save the devices either.

John

I certainly wont be touching the electronics its a manufacturers repair one look at the inside and its beyond me.

Low power on torch switch and instant maximum on foot pedal then abnormal light comes on amp gauge all over the place.

29/08/2021 00:57:11

I have a Tech Arc 206i AC and DC tig welder I bought new 10 years ago its had very little use.

I used it mainly on light stainless and now having a go at aluminium welding and about finished a two gallon water tank for my flash steam project.

Something wrong thought I saw a flash reflected through a cooling vent around the control circuit board.

Amp control not being altered from zero with torch 2t switch power to arc but not that high

Foot pedal control amp indicator going up and down with no control with various knobs.

Foot pedal seems on maximum amps when pressed and power cuts out most of time pedal pressed in a few seconds.

Warning light for abnormal load comes on when arc power is stopped using foot pedal.

Manufacture is not far from me and do repairs so might see them.

Could it be control circuit board at fault seems loads of power at times with foot pedal but can not control it.

Shot in the dark has anyone had similar problems and what did they find wrong.

Thread: Aging fingers
26/08/2021 00:17:49

A few weeks ago had carpal tunnel operation should have been done year ago but Covid was very active.

Very little improvement at the moment and other hand wants doing.

Hospital doctor said prefer to operate while still muscle there the hand I had done was warned might not be successful as muscle was wasted away.

Mine was classed as urgent my GP said for operation referral the muscle has to be wasted.

Had tried splint and injections but only short time relief I no pain when injection done only two doctors at my surgery do it needs a steady hand and a very precise location.

Thread: Can auto darkening welding helmet capsule be restored.
16/07/2021 22:54:52

Have jumped the gun the parweld has mainly been in its box for ten years its manual says the built in battery will only last 6 years.

After being in the light all day its working again.

The 10 year old SWP has started working again after leaving near when I practiced a few hours ally Tig welding.

16/07/2021 20:35:37

Can auto darkening welding helmets capsule be restored..

After some years decided to practice Aluminium Tig welding today.

I have a Parweld helmet that is as new I hardly used as not fine enough for low amp welding that I was doing on my flash steam stainless generators.

Also a SWP that was great for welding with a few amps.

The auto capsules are not working any chance they can be made working again.

Did get an odd darkening but very rare..

They both are hardly used I know there are some cheap solar ones on Ebay.

If I can repair them easily would prefer to do that..

Edited By Windy on 16/07/2021 20:37:40

Thread: Powder coating quality of finish
11/07/2021 17:40:48

I have various disability outdoor hand rails on the house steps that are powder coated.

Two main rails are lasting well considering the years outside.

But two other smaller ones water has got under the coating and coating falling off with the corrosion.

They were both installed at the same time.

Thread: advice old British motorcycle
07/07/2021 21:10:54
Posted by duncan webster on 07/07/2021 20:44:20:

I sold mine 35 years ago for ~£100. Awful machine, no power, handling like a banana. I think they were nicknamed 'grey porridge' which just about sums them up

They were crap more of a ride to work machine most were scrapped so a daft price now compares to same year 250 ohv.

I had not ridden a bike since 1977 so a treat for me in 2019 riding it at Elvington speed meeting I did 40 mph down runway 26.

img_7623.jpg

Edited By Windy on 07/07/2021 21:13:34

Edited By Windy on 07/07/2021 21:17:52

07/07/2021 19:50:20

I had a memory recall in 2019 a young couple of speed nuts took me to Burton on Trent to look at some old BSA bikes.

He bought a BSA C10 a 250cc side valve for £2600 it was the same model that was my first motorcycle mine cost £10 in 1959

Thread: Uniflow Engines
07/07/2021 13:57:37
Posted by Leslie Williams 1 on 07/07/2021 13:37:55:

That's very very nice Windy. I was looking at all the bolts that you have to lock down the cylinder head.

Also looking at your scored camshaft. Tell what kind of temperatures do you think we are looking at here? And do you know, or can you guess what the steam pressure is? I like the little valve too. It's really nicely made.

I been trying to upload a Photo, but I can't find out how to do it. I have a picture of a Petrol Blowlamp which is probably similar to the ones used with the Flash Steam plants.

Have you put your photos in your albums that works for me then transfer them to your posts.

The cylinder head is ground with valve grinding paste to barrels like some full size single cylinder engines are done.

Cam follower has a stellite facing the bluing on the cam was caused by valve clearance being lost normally just bright steel when clearance ok.

It all runs in Rocal Moly paste with no problems.

The valve is a turned down Rover K series exhaust valve with an 8mmØ head.

Edited By Windy on 07/07/2021 14:01:19

Edited By Windy on 07/07/2021 14:05:01

06/07/2021 12:48:47
Posted by Leslie Williams 1 on 06/07/2021 11:57:15:

You made a poppet valve for Flash Steam, as I said I just can't imagine the pressures that this kind of valve would place on the valve gear? Some of those engines operated at more than 1000 psi.

Here are pictures of my valve and cam follower.

At running temperatures the valve expands 0.012" if clearance not set at 0.013" to 0.014" this is what happens.

I made hairpin valve springs as coil ones annealed when at high speeds.

Hot head

2014 another view

valve clearance too tight.jpg

Thread: My weekend at Melbourne Raceway
05/07/2021 17:58:58
Posted by Steviegtr on 05/07/2021 15:33:37:

Now that brings back memories. I used to go to all the meetings to support Daz Edwards ,with his Fibreglass Mach 1 Mustang.

Steve Merty was usually there with his jet truck.

I think it was around 1990.

Steve.

Steve Murty was the main organiser of Melbourne years ago.

Steve ran an Imp engine drag bike he also came home with me at 1971 Elvington records to repair my record attempt 650cc bike.

After we did a bodge fitting old cast iron head etc. I broke two National Records they would have been World but I could not afford the cost of ratifying them.

Flying start Kilometre 165.97mph average not bad for a basic pre unit 650cc Triumph Thunderbird engine with a few extras on it.

After the 1971 650cc records.jpg

05/07/2021 17:51:48

Now that brings back memories. I used to go to all the meetings to support Daz Edwards ,with his Fibreglass Mach 1 Mustang.

Steve.

Steve ran an Imp engine drag bike he also came home with me at 1971 Elvington records to repair my record attempt 650cc bike.

After we did a bodge fitting old cast iron head etc. I broke two National Records they would have been World but I could not afford the cost of ratifying them.

Flying start Kilometre 165.97mph average not bad for a basic pre unit Triumph Thunderbird engine with a few extras on it.

05/07/2021 17:51:47

Steve.

Flying start Kilometre 165.97mph average not bad for a basic pre unit Triumph Thunderbird engine with a few extras on it.

05/07/2021 12:08:53

My weekend at Melbourne Raceway.

Model engineering is never far away when am at my full size events.

Another model engineer who sprints a speedway engine sprint motorcycle showed me his latest acquisition.

Anyone want a large blowlamp there were two at Melbourne.

Split Second is the the sister car of the one R Hammond (top gear) crashed at Elvington.

Colin Fallows the driver owner of that car before Hammonds crash was the fastest car in the UK and had terminal speeds nearly 400mph.

At the moment Melbourne course is eighth mile and will be a quarter mile eventually.

Think the jet dragsters shut off early before the finish line.

In 1973 my scrapyard special at its only eighth mile did it in 6.22 seconds and 122mph terminal.

0019.jpg

Speedway engine sprint motorcycle

1.jpg

Firestorm

Firestorms time

4.jpg

Split Second

8.jpg

7.jpg

Thread: Uniflow Engines
30/06/2021 18:16:49

Leslie,

Those pictures are for a proposed full size wheeled speed attempt vehicle engine is similar but bigger than the model hydroplane one.

I had a go at making a balanced poppet valve but was no good at high rpm.

As far as stress at high pressure on the poppet valve the opening pressure was high and cam followers took a beating but eventually sorted that problem with stellite and solid lubricants.

On the rapid closing of the valve only good quality car exhaust valves were used with a solid head otherwise welded valve heads dropped off.

The amount of preparation with the hydro before going to run it on water was astronomical and a complete strip down after every meeting.

A welcome break this weekend at Melbourne raceway will be watching two jet engine dragsters having a go one my friend helped rebuild Firestorm after crashing at 200mph..

28/06/2021 22:10:27

Posted by JasonB on 28/06/2021 14:47:39:

Hopefully our member "Windy" will see this. I don't think his engines have condensers and they are good enough to set speed records.

I am not good on the theory and had a play with various valve gears to me the poppet valve wins every time in my applications.

There was no condenser.

Found in my early days with K9 I had a massive increase in speed when CR was increased before did 74mph then 96mph.

A friend with a full size flash steamer has an automatic compression pressure release before steam is entered.

Looking at an old Edgar Westbury book on flash steam the Sparton engine is so similar to my record buster and Bob Kirtley's..

There were so many complicated engines in model flash steamers early days relief valves have been used.

A good read if you can find a copy is Doble Steam Cars by J. N. Walton there is a bit about uniflow but was found unsuited for use in a motor vehicle.

A couple of pictures of my latest steamer.

0006.jpg

0005.jpg

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2021
24/06/2021 22:56:37

Had to make two compressor head gaskets from ally sheet.

Then ran my 300cc flash steam engine on air.

Have to retard steam inlet as need a lot of pressure to run on flash steam timing.

I have a pressure relief on the head have to use on available air pressure to be able to run it.

gasket.jpg

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
walker midge
emcomachinetools
Warco
Dreweatts
JD Metals
rapid Direct
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest