By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Windy

Here is a list of all the postings Windy has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: A new [to me ] style of scam eMail
16/09/2020 01:31:37

I had one trying to blackmail me so reported it to the local cop shop a lass had had same message so the police woman said.

Police community messaging lets me know the latest scams latest was an official looking gov document telling you had been in a charging area without paying.

Thread: Motorcycle General Discussion
14/08/2020 11:11:26

Back to the full size speed record attempts this weekend at Elvington it's a ticket only entrance due to the virus.

There are many speed attempts going off there some private attempts we have had the JCB tractor and electric attempts some successful others back to the drawing board.

Guy Martin is a regular he is hoping to do 300mph on a motorcycle sometime he is a hands on mechanic.

I might be a passenger in one of the unusual four wheelers blasting down runway 26 have asked the organiser and driver so ok.

Details of events contact

12/08/2020 18:04:19

I was at the refurbished Melbourne Raceway it was busy with cars and motorcycles the future looks good the second permanent drag strip donations made it possible.

My friend who used to watch me competing when 12 years old tested his latest creation a steam jet bike.

He learnt a lot it was very impressive.

grahams last run.jpg.

Thread: Tail stock spindle out of line .
17/06/2020 16:47:35
Posted by ega on 17/06/2020 14:08:06:

Windy:

Does the moly combine in some way with the treated metal?

Myfords changed the design of the Super Seven tailstock to avoid this lift problem.

I can only go on my use of it am reasonably sure in my applications it forms a thin coat.

Once I coated the flash steam poppet valve with the red heat involved when on peak form it seemed to alter to another form and became abrasive.

After that when high temperatures are involved I used Grathos.

Was given an aerosol of some moly think it was used on a type of extrusions die it really stuck to the metal.

Thread: Pesky Government Announcement!
17/06/2020 16:29:23
Posted by Peter G. Shaw on 17/06/2020 15:23:33:

Ok, there I am in the workshop, Classic FM gently playing something reasonably soothing, and then, and then! "This is a Government Announcement Etc, etc."

Whereupon the air turns blue, whilst I tell it to shut up. It doesn't, of course, but really, I feel that it's all gone overboard. Every 20 mins or so it all gets thrust down my ears, and I'm getting totally and completely fed up of it. The announcement, that is.

So, do the other radio programmes have this announcement? Not that I listen to them as I just cannot stand the inane prattling of idiotic youngsters who think their opinion is worth something. Neither can I stand the racket that purports to be modern music.

Anyone else p***** off with it

Peter G. Shaw

Welcome to my Grumpy Old Man club am getting a lot of members the S### on the TV, Radio and news media puts out is mostly rubbish.

Trivial news exaggerated my local press used to say things as they were now a bigger company took it over what a change.

Thread: Tail stock spindle out of line .
17/06/2020 11:31:50

I have Antony Mounts modification articles to his Warco 600 GB he made a better clamping arrangement but would possibly still lift the spindle.

As a temporary test this morning coated the spindle in Rocal dry moly paste.

The dial gauge showed no movement when I was clamping it how long it lasts is anybodies guess.

The dry moly paste is from my flash steam hydro days the highly stressed cam and follower was coated in it and saved them from damage, oil was a waste of time.

A bit of my history a past top BDA rally engine builder his were better than some of the works engines.

Talking to him at his used machine tools saleroom about the cam problems he reccommended trying the dry moly paste.

He used to coat and press fit the BDA liners with it he never had any scuffing issues

17/06/2020 01:19:55

Been machining a long shaft between centres and did get the size required at both ends after a bit of tweaking.

Had machined a centre in the headstock so was true running when sliding tailstock centre to it both were at the same height.

When I locked the tailstock spindle its centre lifted.

It's an early Warco 600 lathe and the way the spindle is locked it is pushed up by the keyway pin.

Seems the spindle has too much clearance at top of tailstock casting.

Apart from maybe making a new spindle and rebore the tailstock wondered if there is another way to clamp the spindle instead of pushing it up to lock it.

13/06/2020 22:49:05

Unless things change and we get a second wave of this virus Elvington Top Speed testing is on in July.

Unfortunate public are not allowed just competitors and club members.

A lot of extra expense has been added due to keeping everybody safe from contagion.

Will have to decide if I should go as at high risk due to age etc.

A refurbished drag racing venue is getting ready for reopening soon it's at Melbourne not far from Elvington.

Thread: Drilling very long holes
13/06/2020 16:38:28

This spindle has a lot of torque to contend with the largest diameter on it is 48mm going down to 35mm with various tapers and threads on it.

Gun drilling had been mentioned to me will probably make a tool up.
One of my ME club members gave a talk on his gun making and the barrel boring and rifling was discussed many of his tools he made himself.
I just remembered I had on disc and my PC 2 volumes of the Modern Gunsmith with other copies of pre-war gun making books.
True hand skills being shown such an interesting read for a do-it-yourself tinkerer.
Thanks for the advice it's always welcome.

12/06/2020 21:30:09

Oily Rag

I like your way can you tell me what a de Frise cutter looks like went on the web but could just find ordinary cutters

12/06/2020 00:26:06

Am wondering what would be the best way to drill a 6mm hole 350mm long in a spindle of en24t.

Could possibly go up to 8mm diameter hole but prefer 6mm.

I would normally braze a drill onto some rod to extend it and maybe drill from both ends to meet in the middle.

With the length involved am worried about the drill wandering off centre.

A push rod has to go down this long hole.

What would be the best way to do this please.

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2020
19/05/2020 20:09:16

Done some more on the countershaft

countershaft blank

countershaft machining 008.jpg

Another stage

2020_0517plateaplate0003.jpg

polished countershaft0005.jpg

polished countershaft0006.jpg

30/04/2020 10:38:19

Am at the stage of making the countershaft for my big flash steam project had a friend from my speed scene offered to rough out the shape on his industrial CNC machine from one lump of Aluminium.

Have decided to fabricate it myself It will be lighter and certainly material price a lot cheaper.

I bought an Aldi bandsaw apart from the crap vice which I did a simple modification to which helped clamping.

Will eventually replace with an improved vice.

The amount of steel and aluminium with the original bandsaw blade I have cut has been worth me getting it.

The video is not good but shows it cutting at near the limit of the size it will take.

That lump of aluminium Its cutting is for part of the countershaft body.

After years of hand power cutting sometimes large lumps of material this small bandsaw has been a Godsend.

**LINK**

Edited By Windy on 30/04/2020 10:39:52

Thread: Aging rubber and plastic
19/04/2020 10:09:47

I had Clarks as well and only used a few ties then fell apart.

Was looking a while ago at the materials used in shoes and one has to be worn regular or it degeades

Thread: Covid-19 NHS letter saying I am at high risk.
14/04/2020 22:19:35

When I received the Government NHS letter saying I had to stay in for 12 weeks as regards the high risks to myself due to me having had Lymphoma could not understand why it had been sent as have been given the OK for over a year.
Had a phone call from my Doctor this morning was told those letters were sent out in a rush and that surgery Doctors have now to check if correct.
My Doctor said that the 12 week isolation does not apply to me now and can do the recommended outside activity if I want to.
If my Lymphoma treatment had not worked would have gone downhill fast.
Doctor told me to be careful due to my age so have phoned all the kind people that helped me to thank them.
Be a pleasant change doing a walk instead of up and down my staircase.

Keep safe and don’t take any unnecessary risks

Edited By Windy on 14/04/2020 22:22:06

Thread: Keeping busy
26/03/2020 23:32:14

Am fortunate I have a small garden so digging up my wild flowers (weeds) etc.

Then a break getting meals ready and watch the news.

Do a few exercises to try to help the old creaking gate

Workshop for a few hours there's plenty to do or modify.

Any minor work to do in the house as a last resort.

Always books to read or contact other old gits to see if ok in this dodgy virus time.

Can do a check on the Straight liners Facebook and other bike or car groups some posts are hilarious or informative on builds.

I thought was in the wild as no noise from vehicles as live near a busy road and just the birds chirping.

Was good to see some fellow neighbours at 8pm clapping the NHS and other front line workers at this stressful time.

So a busy day I will not get bored.

Edited By Windy on 26/03/2020 23:34:01

Thread: Do your bit and help each other
22/03/2020 23:33:01

I have always tried to be independent but am looking like an old crock.

The kindness shown by neighbours. friends and strangers is very moving.

In times when everybody is at risk World wide it's amazing how the good of the human race is coming forth.

17/03/2020 22:55:40

Something to show how to covert a four stroke to a two stroke a bit long but it worked.

No fancy workshop perfectionists might grimace.

**LINK**

Thread: Coronavirus
17/03/2020 10:35:36
A small group of car and motorcycle speed enthusiasts are at Elvington today I normally attend but have decided to give it a miss.
The following I posted on the Elvington Top Speed sight as some my friends are competing.
Wish I was there but this old fogys taking no risks with this esculating virus risk. The good of Humanity is being brought to the fore to help vulnerable people. Apart from months of a sniffle and a slight cough am feeling fine. Am fortunate to have a computer and home workshop to keep me busy. There are many older generation that do not have a PC and some that do not have a phone so help them if possible..
Thread: Another engine
12/03/2020 10:55:03

Anyone know anything about this engine would like to see exploded drawings of it.

**LINK**

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
emcomachinetools
cowells
EngineDIY
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest