By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Windy

Here is a list of all the postings Windy has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: 2020 Had my full size flash steam engine running
16/06/2022 23:41:28
Posted by Jeff Dayman on 16/06/2022 21:19:47:

That's a ferocious looking burner Windy! red hot in just under 25 seconds! Looking forward to seeing engine and boat runs with that one. Thanks for sharing the video. Cheers!

It's not for a boat but full size wheeled vehicle either two or three I have all the generator coils ready thanks to another ME and full size record breaker

16/06/2022 18:47:50

Had a few delays with health issues but still experimenting with full size flash steamer had a few problems with steam generator burners but sorted them.
Generator is 12 inches diameter and would not self ignite when hot the exhaust outlet was too large cooling it down.
Restricted exhaust outlet and seems fine am only using a small hand pump for initial tests the liquid on bottom burner is a drop of high temperature oil from a connection I lubricated.
New exhaust similar to my proven model design now being made.

This might get to to the video

Edited By Windy on 16/06/2022 18:49:26

Edited By Windy on 16/06/2022 18:55:57

Edited By JasonB on 16/06/2022 19:04:11

Edited By Windy on 16/06/2022 19:12:06

Thread: My Faith in Human Kindness is Reinforced
03/06/2022 23:55:38

The thing that Covid did was to show the kindness in strangers, neighbours and friends to those less able to help themselves.

That kindness is still ongoing today as a person who liked to be independent but health issues over the last 5 years have made my life difficult.

So many from all walks of life have helped me my adopted motorcycle family are always springing pleasant surprises on me and never know what to expect next.

Two lasses who used to live near me but now live else ware still insist on doing my weekly shopping.

Another neighbour helps as well and new Indian neighbours have offered help.

A kind word works wonders.

Today while waiting for a bus a young girl with a bairn told me to get on it I said all those other people are before me but she insisted.

On the bus saw she wore T shirt with two motorcycles imprinted on it so asked if she were a biker of course yes and the conversation never stopped till I got off the bus.

What a pleasant change to talk to young instead of them doing it on mobiles

Edited By Windy on 03/06/2022 23:58:19

Thread: Rising costs of materials
10/04/2022 00:09:32

Not just materials food has rocketed had not been to a shop for a few weeks my 6 pints of milk from £1:40 now £2

Thread: Warco BH600G - Motor hums but won't start
28/03/2022 11:38:57

My capacitor went when doing metric screw cutting on off was the culprit since fitting that basic belt clutch and on off on with no load things ok on my early WARCO 600.

Thread: windows live mail
24/02/2022 14:10:45

Have you tried the repair option on the program in control panel

Edited By Windy on 24/02/2022 14:11:34

Thread: Motorcycle General Discussion
18/02/2022 17:22:28
Posted by Pete Rimmer on 18/02/2022 16:50:26:

Hi Windy, my fastest official speed was 215.7mph but that was on the first turbo system good for 300hp although when I did the speed mentioned it was at 230hp. The second system I built with a charge cooler and much larger turbo and the one it's fitted with now is currently running at about 320hp I believe but it's good for around 500 which should on a good day push it past 250mph.

I have thought about buying the bike again before now and I'd be interested in hearing a price. If you have an idea what the asking price is, and how it's changed from when I sold it, let me know by PM please.

I will contact Andy and will get the details of new owner etc.

18/02/2022 14:41:22

One of the Hayabusa bikes that was at the show used to belong to a member on this forum.

The member sold it to my good friends Andy and Helen they did over 200mph on it.

Andy passed it on to another enthusiast who did a fresh paint job etc on it and managed 238mph.

It's now for sale again ME member Pete do you fancy another go on it.

Pete what was your fastest speed you did at think Woodbridge airfield?

18/02/2022 12:55:39

A memorable time at the show that I posted earlier.

Just a change from ordinary vehicles on the 12th and 13th of February at Elvington Airfield there is a show of Record breaking motorcycles, cars, drag racing machines I understand Guy Martin who will be pilot of Alex McFazdine Gem turbine two wheel streamliner is going.

Steam jet bike and fastest lady UK bike rider are their plus some of the machines from my racing era.

On the Saturday after listening to a talk by my friend Graham Sykes on the massive modification to his steam rocket bike I was taken to another place as I climbed the steps there was something I never expected this had being arranged from about November last year.

There was a tear in my eyes my speed family had a Birthday Party for me as on the Sunday 13th I am 80.

It was packed out with speed record enthusiasts.

An 8 page Birthday card was given to me and around the room bunting with photo's of my machines etc.

What a kind thing to do for me the work that was done by the ladies on the catering and all the other enthusiasts that made this possible.

80 cake at elvingyon.jpg 1.jpg

Page 8 of my Birtday card .jpg

Edited By Windy on 18/02/2022 13:01:58

Thread: Right to Repair
07/02/2022 23:49:15

Am fortunate I have had for daily transport a 1990 Renault 5 1.4l for 18 years and can do most repairs crawling about doing welding repairs is getting a bit of a pain at nearly 80.

There are no computers on it thank goodness computers when everything is ok are amazing but what a pain if not.

Just a change from ordinary vehicles on the 12th and 13th of February at Elvington Airfield there is a show of Record breaking motorcycles, cars, drag racing machines I understand Guy Martin who will be pilot of Alex McFazdine Gem turbine two wheel streamliner is going.

Steam jet bike and fastest lady UK bike rider are their plus some of the machines from my racing era.

Thread: Fabricating a Weber Carburettor Manifold Flange
21/01/2022 18:33:00

If you have welding facilities fabricate from steel tube and flanges I did this in 1974 207.9 mph on a blown double engine Triumph.

I only had an old Pools Special lathe, drill and a load of files

Edited By Windy on 21/01/2022 18:43:32

Edited By Windy on 21/01/2022 18:47:46

Thread: Anyone Else an ELSA Guinea-pig?
09/12/2021 01:00:02

An annoying thing for me is so many web related sights think you have a mobile phone and no provision for a land line number for contact.

I have an ancient Nokia that I only got when the old AA breakdown boxes were removed..

What will happen if for some reason (major solar flares or war) electronics fail.

Thread: Over 70 Driving Licence Renewal
03/12/2021 20:03:45
Posted by Emgee on 03/12/2021 16:25:00:

Clive

Best keep your current licence until it expires then do as requested.
Your new licence will continue from the expiry date of your current licence.

Emgee

I have had two new licences that were not a continuation of the expired ones.

Don't take anything for granted.

My latest licence starts nearly four months after previous one expired despite applying months before old licence finished.

03/12/2021 00:40:30

My licence ran out start of January after many months waiting for a DVLA eye test I got in touch with my local MP she sorted it in two weeks after contacting the head of DVLA medical centre.

I did not drive when my licence ended after a few months asked my Doctor if I could still drive as there is provision for that he said yes but I was cautious I decided not to.

When my license arrived it said do not drive before the new licence start date.

My eye problem is static and been like that since an accident in abut 1960 after the last DVLA eye test decided to have the hospital eye clinic check if any change since it was diagnosed 20 years ago there was no change.

As I had a temporary eye infection when doing the licence test was concerned as I thought had failed test.

Thread: show us your workshop.
25/11/2021 11:12:18

A well known naughty that classic car owners have to watch out for when showing their vehicles at rallies etc. are trackers fixed to the vehicle.

With all these battery powered tools hardened clamps, locks etc are no safeguard.

Motorcycles even when bolted to a garage floor is no safeguard they have been stolen from what you might think was secure.

My friend now no longer with us had an old Honda Six his workshop had a cartridge trip device on the door similar to what farmers use to warn them of thieves.

Another anti burglary device which might be frowned on but after years of restoration you don't want your pride and joy stolen.

His shot gun loaded with rock salt was connected to his Honda if moved ankles got peppered he told me I never go in the workshop when he has had a drink of beer.

Was shown his leg when he forgot his rule.

Thread: 80th birthday
21/11/2021 01:10:23

February is my 80th and don't want any presents to me what my family, neighbours and speed attempt friends have done for me has been priceless.

This year has been memorable and more to come.

Elvington speed attempts, even a go at Melbourne drag racing disability buggies, ride in the 100 mph shed, Santa Pod Euro Nationals, private top classic motorcycle collection visit, Coniston speed record attempts and next weekend Annual AGM, dinner, and awards presentation all done thanks to friends.

My neighbours have been so helpful a surprise for me was an elderly neighbour who is poorly I just keep in touch his daughter gave me a present from him a few words to those housebound means a lot..

The news media is always keen to report the bad side of humans should be more news on the good people do.

I feel young at heart despite the bodywork needs a restore as you may note I was in car body repairs.

Edited By Windy on 21/11/2021 01:22:10

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2021
31/10/2021 16:16:16

As many know I am a speed record enthusiast and follow various branhes of attempts,

Friday I was taken my adopted speed family to see a collection of Brough Superiours , Vincents and other classic bikes.

All run and ridden another reason to be here was to pick up an old sprint motorcycle it used to belong to a man who helped me rebuild my record breaking Triumph at Elvington in 1971.

Saturday a trip to Melbourne drag racing the BBC were there for a new TV program.

Talking to a man I only know through Straightliners facebook and mentioned Woodbridge record attempts he knows a ME forum member that ran very fast there Pete Rimmer.

Next week going to Coniston Speed Week to see records broken on water should be an interesting time.

Mondays attempts are delayed till Tueday onwards wind and high water the reason.

I am only able to do all this because of the kindness of friends.

31/10/2021 16:16:13

As many know I am a speed record enthusiast and follow various branhes of attempts,

Friday I was taken my adopted speed family to see a collection of Brough Superiours , Vincents and other classic bikes.

All run and ridden another reason to be here was to pick up an old sprint motorcycle it used to belong to a man who helped me rebuild my record breaking Triumph at Elvington in 1971.

Saturday a trip to Melbourne drag racing the BBC were there for a new TV program.

Talking to a man I only know through Straightliners facebook and mentioned Woodbridge record attempts he knows a ME forum member that ran very fast there Pete Rimmer.

Next week going to Coniston Speed Week to see records broken on water should be an interesting time.

Mondays attempts are delayed till Tueday onwards wind and high water the reason.

I am only able to do all this because of the kindness of friends.

Thread: All the gear and no idea !
14/10/2021 17:09:02

From another Paul welcome there is a lot of great advice and help if you have machining problems just ask.

Paul

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2021
20/09/2021 02:38:48

Been a busy few days a week ago my adopted speed family took me to Santa Pod for the European Nationals and witnessed a hydrogen peroxide steam rocket bike doing mind blowing speeds.

Then at Elvington and saw how strong composite motorcycle rear wheels are.

Jack Frost a regular 250mph rider that did 269mph at an earlier meeting had a tyre blowout at about 250mph.

With skilful riding he kept the bike upright just riding on the composite wheel rim.

He has a very bruised backside with crushed discs.

This Saturday and Sunday Melbourne Raceway was my next port of call.

It was a pleasure to see very young lads and lasses riding small machines they are so enthusiastic.

One of the paramedics his lad was having a go it's a big family event as I said to one Mother is your lass going to be a future Beccy Ellis the current fastest UK woman at 264mph.

Mums reply Beccy will have to retire sometime.

When home had my old banger on stands ready to check over for MOT time then another session making the 5 litre fuel tank for my flash steam project.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
Rapid RC
Dreweatts
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest