By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for duncan webster

Here is a list of all the postings duncan webster has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Bench grinder
21/07/2021 22:31:51

My el cheapo grinder vibrated quite badly, so I bought a new wheel with 1.25" hole and made new washers, the one nearest the motor has a boss to fit the in the wheel, just a bit shorter than the wheel so the other washer clamps up. this new thick boss/washer has 2 grub screws to hold it to the shaft. All unbalance problems gone away. I cribbed the idea off a RJH Ferret grinder

Thread: New Chuck won’t screw on
21/07/2021 22:23:29
Posted by Richard Jarvis on 21/07/2021 16:50:43:

........., told supplier only to be told that they are machined on a myford and then checked on two other spindles to check fit. .........

Thanks Richard

If I were making backplates for a living I'd use something more 'industrial' than a Myford. Don't get me wrong I'm on my second, but only as a hobby

Not that this helps, but the backplate I bought from RDG/Myford fits lovely. If you divulge your approximate location there might be another Myford owner near you and you could try it on their machine. With a bit of care you can do this Covid secure

Edited By duncan webster on 21/07/2021 22:23:50

Edited By duncan webster on 21/07/2021 22:24:25

Thread: Setting up rear parting tool properly
21/07/2021 17:59:22

The face of the tool holder shown in the top picture should be facing the chuck, so it looks as if it is set up for the lathe going in 'forward'. This confirmed by the second photo. No chance of the chuck unscrewing, but the tool is canted the wrong way, hence the need for the notch. I think this is simply the wrong tool holder for the job. Boat tool holders have a very poor reputation anyway

Thread: E10 Petrol
21/07/2021 12:20:06

No one remember Cleveland Discol? If Harry Ricardo reckoned it was OK that will do for me

Thread: I think I'm in love... with a metal bender :-)
20/07/2021 17:17:27
Posted by Bikepete on 17/03/2016 20:37:11:

Watch this and tell me you don't want one:.........

OK, I don't want one. Haven't got space

Thread: Vehicle reversing sensors
20/07/2021 17:04:22
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 20/07/2021 11:31:21:
Posted by Nigel Graham 2 on 20/07/2021 00:50:54:

Reversing, last week, at the pumps it was my delight to see a caravan driver make a complete Horlicks reversing up to the air pump. It's on a curve... Is it just me, or are caravans the most irritating vehicles on the road?

devil

Dave

The weekly commute to my last paid job involved about 70 miles across single carriageway roads in North Wales. At least tractors are not usually going that far, but Shed Draggers holding queues of 20+ cars for mile after mile were not uncommon. Gaily driving past laybys and then pedal to the metal when they got to the occasional wide straight bit, no thought of letting anyone past. Tin Snails are nearly as bad. I've been told that in some states of the USA there is a legal requirement to pull over if you're holding up more than 6 cars

Edited By duncan webster on 20/07/2021 17:11:50

Thread: CNC Lathe Scratch Build
19/07/2021 12:17:37

Been having a think, always dangerous. Your post of 14/11 shows the tool-post at the far side of the spindle, so gravity will try to move the tool down the slope into the job. Cutting forces will try to move it away. I know that ball-screws don't have a lot of backlash but it's not zero. If this is thought to be a problem you could either clamp the cross slide to prevent it moving, or over-do the counter-balancer so that the tool-post is always up hill if you see what I mean. Perhaps I'm overthinking it, not unusual.

On to some sums. The tool-post/slide assembly weighs 9kg on a slope of 45 degrees so the force due to gravity along the slope is 9*9.81*cos(45) = 62 Newtons. If I assume your air tank is at 80 psi, that is 5.5 bar so you need a cylinder sqrt((68*4)/(5.5e5*pi)) = 12.5 mm diameter. To allow for the tank pressure dropping before the switch kicks in re-do the sums at whatever that pressure is, which will make the cylinder a bit bigger, and then add another bit to make sure it's always uphill, or if you decide to undercompensate make it a bit smaller

Edited By duncan webster on 19/07/2021 12:23:10

18/07/2021 12:55:33
Posted by Joseph Noci 1 on 18/07/2021 10:23:55:

Going to read all about air tank.cylinder pressure based counterweights - new to me, and seems that it will be complicated..

Ady1, I fear you have lost me..not sure what you referring to..

Joe

Think gas strut but with an air cylinder instead of the strut. If you find a cylinder which gives the right load with your compressor tank pressure, that's all you need. The force will change a bit depending on actual tank pressure but I doubt that would matter. If you need a pressure regulator to drop the pressure then when the cylinder is compressed the pressure will build up, but the volume of the pipework will limit that. What do the moving bits weigh?

Thread: The last Gravity Ropeway
17/07/2021 23:46:30

This is very interesting LowTech. Has details of aerial runways many miles long

Thread: Garmin sat nav
17/07/2021 22:54:40

On the in car charging lead for my previous Garmin there were resistors between the data pins and ground (I think). An ordinary USB lead won't work, but when my power adaptor died I cut the end of the lead and grafted it onto a normal lead and it then worked fine off a cheapo 5v fag lighter adaptor. Values are on the interweb somewhere.

Thread: Centaur Ignition Coil
17/07/2021 22:48:04
Posted by noel shelley on 15/07/2021 17:25:41:

My Lambretta had a small ignition coil, 1.25 dia X3" high at a guess. Noel

Do you really want the world to know you had a Lambretta? I bought a broken one very cheap once and mended it. First time I rode it I knew it had to go. Every corner had the bodywork scraping the tarmac. Sold it at a considerable profit and went back to my proper bike

17/07/2021 13:07:17

......'

Galileo was developed by the EU specifically because GPS and GLASNOST are military systems. Not for moral reasons, but because military systems during times of tension are liable to be encrypted or used to apply political pressure.

Dave

So of course we walked away from it, I'll stop now or it will get political

Thread: Chuck fitting
16/07/2021 23:14:51

You could just glue some spacers in the counterbores?, Or if you don't mind the faff and always losing them just have loose spacers.

Thread: Gasket material for lathe gearbox ?
16/07/2021 23:08:01

As this gasket possibly affects the line up f the leadscrew I'd mike a bit of the old stuff and make sure you get the same or as near as possible

16/07/2021 19:00:53

Back to the original theme, new battery seems to have fixed it.fairly easy to fit as well.

Thread: GigaFactory
15/07/2021 20:07:41
Posted by ChrisH on 15/07/2021 18:30:48:

The problem to consigning a sector of the public to use public transport rather than their own cars for mobility is that public transport for those in rural areas is not good, services are few and far between.

Public transport may be OK in cities but for folk living in the sticks its not much good if getting to town is on a Tuesday but the bus back is not till Friday.

Chris

Never mind cities, I live in a largeish town, if I get back to the main railway station after 8:30pm I would have to walk home. OK it's only about 3 miles, but I won't be able to do that for many more years. People who live in metropolises, shouldn't make pronouncements when they know nothing about how the rest of us live.

Thread: Autolock stuck drawbar won't screw in
15/07/2021 16:08:25

The collar on top of the chuck is probably threaded with a fine pitch left hand thread. In use you are meant to snug it up against the face of the arbour to stiffen up the mt2 taper. You might be able to use it to jack the taper out,but try to get a proper Peg spanner rather than just a Tommy bar

Thread: The last Gravity Ropeway
14/07/2021 13:41:41

Perhaps Michael Gilligan should pay them a visit, he's in the market for some decent brickswink

Thread: Walker Midgley Insurance for Model Engineers
13/07/2021 21:28:09

I thought advertising on the forum was banned.

Thread: Man management
13/07/2021 13:29:01
Posted by JasonB on 13/07/2021 07:08:03:
Posted by duncan webster on 12/07/2021 23:05:19:

When I built my last house extension I had to get the design approved before I started and the Building Inspector would come round at pre-arranged points in the build to inspect what had been done. Sounds a bit bureaucratic, but he was actually very helpful. As I understand it that's all gone, and builders get to mark their own homework. Result, all these unsaleable properties with built in defects.

Don't know where you get that Duncan, I still get the building inspector in where it's needed and yes they can be very helpful particularly if you are doing things right and not a cowboy.

Planning and Building Control are two separate departments though they do tend to talk to one another. Planning only needs to know what the basic project will look like, once you get permission (more permitted developement now does not need it) you then notify building control (and send fee) who will want a lot more detail of construction even for works that did not need planning permission and they will visit as and when called in at various stages of the work, Finally they will issue a completion certificate which any solicitor will find on a search if selling the property.

Some work can be done just by sending in a notice such as a boiler change by a Gassafe fitter, window changes by FENSA member etc where their qualifications are taken as them doing the work correctly.

Edited By JasonB on 13/07/2021 07:15:46

According to building inspection you can either get approval from the council, or from an Approved Inspector, who will be paid by the developer. Probably not worth it for small/medium builder, but tempting for a big developer. As I said above, not quite marking your own homework.

This really has drifted off topic hasn't it

Edited By duncan webster on 13/07/2021 13:33:56

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
walker midge
Warco
emcomachinetools
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
BOLDON
rapid Direct
JD Metals
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest