By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for duncan webster

Here is a list of all the postings duncan webster has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: MEW article on coupling a stepper motor to a Vertex Rotary Table
05/08/2021 16:09:50

You could always use 2 push buttons instead

If those from Oven Mans link will do I have a couple you're welcome to, but they might be too big

Thread: equation editor
04/08/2021 14:02:01

Not really CAD related, but near. The equation editor in Libre Office is fairly useless. Anyone know a better one, freeware of course. I've tried downloading Mathtype which claimed to be free to download, well it is but you can't use it until you've parted with cash. Using SMath studio id dead easy, but ten pasting the image into Libre Office is not convincing

Thread: Greenly Reverser
01/08/2021 14:32:56

Have you tried asking the rhdr

Thread: Centec 2B - New arrival and Q&A
31/07/2021 23:06:14

Very reversible, you need a long box spanner to get at one of the nuts, cant remember what size, Whitworth and not that big

31/07/2021 22:27:20

The half nut thing on mine is a bronze casting. On the left (using orientation of your photo) is a curved slot with a bolt to clamp it in place. It looks as tho' yours has been modified, but can I see it peeping out underneath?

I took the quick traverse mechanism off mine, it got in the way, and having adjusted the half nut right dropping it in and out didn't seem all that good an idea. It's not like a lathe, no in/out stops.

Edited By duncan webster on 31/07/2021 22:28:21

Thread: New Chuck won’t screw on
29/07/2021 20:34:00

But any reasonable inspection would have go/nogo gauges for both the location diameter and the thread. Problem with a lot of importers is that they use the customer as the inspector.

And I don't see why using a single point tool gives a tapered thread. Load on tip doesn't change, overhang doesn't change as the tool advances along the bed.

Thread: Dynamo drive belt
29/07/2021 12:30:08

How about a a saddler, traditional leather belt

28/07/2021 18:34:47

If one buys something and it's not fit for purpose, send it back. Any attempt at rectifying it, buying a tap for instance, will void any warranty, and anyway why should you be put to the expense of a tap.

one advantage of ebay/paypal is the no quibble return

Edited By duncan webster on 28/07/2021 18:36:04

Thread: Stainless Watch case
28/07/2021 13:52:52

I'm not seeing any photos

Thread: Help with surface plates in Derby
27/07/2021 18:22:54

Best of luck finding a planer nowadays, and if I had £300 spare I wouldn't blow it on a surface plate

Thread: Centec 2B - New arrival and Q&A
27/07/2021 18:20:41

Don't you have captive drawbars?

Thread: Running needle roller bearings
27/07/2021 18:17:26

You can get hardened rods, meant for running linear bearings on. These are surface hard and I'll bet you could at least face them with carbide, perhaps even turn shoulders.

Thread: Reflex Gauge Glass Material
27/07/2021 10:36:32

Drawn bronze can be a right pig to drill and tap

Thread: Metallurgical coal
25/07/2021 23:24:05

More on Michael's link rubber steel Seems you still need coke, but a lot less, and you need a lot of electricity

25/07/2021 17:37:33

Carbon is not a catalyst in the iron making process, it is part of the chemical reaction. It combines with the oxygen from the iron ore leaving behind the molten iron, which can then be made into steel. This means that even if we could find enough coffee grounds, we'd still be producing CO2.

The neat trick would be to find a way to use plastics (hydrocarbons) instead of coal. Use the stuff which cannot be recycled, saves digging up coal, and gives the plastic waste a value so it won't be dumped into the rivers/seas

24/07/2021 16:32:24

I got on to my MP about this. As expected he didn't understand the difference between using coal to make iron and burning it in power stations. I think the main reason for the government calling in this application, which had been approved previously, is the COP26 meeting, but as I said to the MP, if the delegates to that can't understand the difference, perhaps the should find some better delegates. In the meantime we will continue to ship coal across the oceans producing more CO2 than we would if we dug it up in the UK, increasing imports when we could be exporting it to Europe.

There may well be a better way, but if it exists it isn't proven at industrial scale, so it won't be available for a long time . What I would question is why we import coal and iron ore to make iron which is then turned into steel, and export vast quantities of scrap steel, some of which which we presumably re-import. Why not just recycle it ourselves?

Thread: Centre Drill Leaves a “Pip” - Sometimes
23/07/2021 19:53:29

So why are spotting drills so expensive, best I can find for one off 3mm is ~£5 whereas I can buy a set of 5 different centre drills for that price.

Thread: Hydrogen
23/07/2021 01:22:25

Despite being called a rare earth, lithium is quite common. It is the 25th most abundant element. There is even talk of mining it in Cornwall, but then they keep on talking about cornish mining and nothing ever happens. Can you imagine the greens allowing it even for zero emmision technology

Thread: Bench grinder
21/07/2021 22:31:51

My el cheapo grinder vibrated quite badly, so I bought a new wheel with 1.25" hole and made new washers, the one nearest the motor has a boss to fit the in the wheel, just a bit shorter than the wheel so the other washer clamps up. this new thick boss/washer has 2 grub screws to hold it to the shaft. All unbalance problems gone away. I cribbed the idea off a RJH Ferret grinder

21/07/2021 22:23:29
Posted by Richard Jarvis on 21/07/2021 16:50:43:

........., told supplier only to be told that they are machined on a myford and then checked on two other spindles to check fit. .........

Thanks Richard

If I were making backplates for a living I'd use something more 'industrial' than a Myford. Don't get me wrong I'm on my second, but only as a hobby

Not that this helps, but the backplate I bought from RDG/Myford fits lovely. If you divulge your approximate location there might be another Myford owner near you and you could try it on their machine. With a bit of care you can do this Covid secure

Edited By duncan webster on 21/07/2021 22:23:50

Edited By duncan webster on 21/07/2021 22:24:25

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
walker midge
Dreweatts
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
JD Metals
Warco
emcomachinetools
rapid Direct
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest