By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for duncan webster

Here is a list of all the postings duncan webster has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Learning CAD with Alibre Atom3D
25/11/2018 12:01:10

Thanks David,

I can now set properties and update assemblies. I've also opened a dxf of a section through a disc wheel, but I think I'm going to have wait for a future episode to find how to then rotate the shape to form a 3D model. Probably getting a bit in front of myself.

Thanks again

On a completely different tack, MEW seems to have taken a great leap forwards in the last few issues. I was thinking of stopping my subscription, but the last few have changed my mind.

Thread: 'shop tip from 1921
24/11/2018 22:55:00

Reminds me of many years ago when I was trying unsuccessfully to run an EDB diesel. Fuel was home made equal parts of diesel, redex and ether. My Dad decided to get the pot bellied stove in the kitchen going by dousing the coke in ether and applying a match. Not only blew the doors off the stove, all the coke was spread around the kitchen together with a lot of the soot out of the chimney. Mother was not a happy bunny. Neither was I as he didn't volunteer to buy more ether. Strange how as a teenager I could just wander into Boots in a small market town and buy such stuff no problem.

Edited By duncan webster on 24/11/2018 22:55:12

24/11/2018 22:46:49

And another question. Having made an assembly of 2 parts, if I then modify one of the parts in the part drawing, how do I make the assembly update itself? Again the stuff on Google refers to icons/menus I can't find on Atom

24/11/2018 21:22:15

David,
If you have defined the material...…..HOW I can't find a way. I've found the calculation bit.
You have to import DXF into the 2D drawing workspace..... you might see some icons that you don't have access to....... I can't find any icons referring to import. Google is singularly unhelpful, just refers to the full version
I've worked through part 2. Keep it coming! I'm actually getting faster, or perhaps less glacial

24/11/2018 12:22:09

I'm slowly getting to grips with this, you have to think totally differently to 2D CAD. Anyone know how I import a dwg or dxf so I can then rotate it to produce a loco wheel. I've already got the section drawn up in 2D, seems a shame to have to redo it from scratch.

I then want to know where the centre of gravity is, is this possible in Alibre?

Thread: Allendale Group - Black Friday Sale
23/11/2018 16:11:40

I fitted MDRO optical to my machines and they have been brilliant. They didn't sell the magnetic ones at the time. If I did it again I'd look at magnetic as they are smaller and would fit in better I think, in fact when I get round to doing the Z axis I'll look at using the existing X on the Z and a new one on the X

22/11/2018 23:46:54
Posted by John Barber 5 on 22/11/2018 21:16:40:
Posted by David Jupp on 22/11/2018 15:51:19:

Another tip for getting back to showing the whole design (zoom extents) - press the Home key on the keyboard..

That also reminds me - you can program pretty much every button function to a keyboard shortcut of your choice. You can even override the default shortcuts if you prefer.

The Home key doesn't appear to work for me. I looked under Help to see how to edit keyboard shortcuts and it was supposed to be under System Options, but doesn't appear to there for Atom. Is it a Design only feature?

works for me he said smugly!

22/11/2018 20:44:43

#2 son came round I'm now cooking on gas. Reading the instructions would have been good, you hold down both buttons to rotate!

22/11/2018 20:23:48

update, I've found I can draw a circle anywhere then constrain it to be coaxial with the first, but it seems a long winded way of doing it, snapping to axis would be a lot easier

22/11/2018 19:49:06

Thanks Jason, not exactly a thick line, but definitely blue, and it then does as expected, so that's one bit sorted

22/11/2018 18:54:28

apologies if this has already been answered, 197 posts is a lot to trawl through.

I've got it downloaded and running, and can create the first 2 shapes, but the left/right mouse click and drag don't work, and it doesn't appear to be clicking to any form of grid or feature, so the 10 dia boss might well not be truly coaxial to the base. Then when I try to create the 6 dia tapered hole, the outward box isn't checked by default. If I enter 2 and then select outward it changes to -2 and vice versa.

If I then select the cylindrical feature of the 25 dia base and go through the chamfer routine it chamfers both top and bottom edges, which is not I think what I want.

I'm obviously being dumb, but can anyone point me in the right direction

Thread: Cutting a large round hole
22/11/2018 09:58:41

It doesn't need to be perfect. I certainly wouldn't buy a big hole saw just for this. I think you could do it with an electric jigsaw with a reasonably fine blade, not too fine or it will clog. For ally spray the work with WD40. Support by sitting the sheet on a partly open workmate so that the blade is going between the flat bits.

Thread: Hollow Stays
15/11/2018 23:27:11

Run the pipe next to the boiler under the cladding. I've seen completely external pipes emitting a mix of water and steam at the blower, but mine work fine

Thread: Lead Bearing Solder is Banned
15/11/2018 17:19:22

I suspect this is another scare story. The regulation is clearly aimed at stuff you will possibly put in your mouth or ingest by some other means. Not many people are given to chewing circuit boards, but the HSE will never tell you something is OK in case some daft judge deems it to be not OK in future. In the meantime ebay has loads of it for sale, and I'm about to buy some lead sheet to mend my roof. OK the contractor will buy it on my behalf, but I'll be paying for it eventually. Even if they do manage to stop sale in the UK I'll still be able to get it from China, and they don't seem to be making buying or possession an offence.

Thread: Do I need a hole in sintered bronze bearings
15/11/2018 11:40:47

As to whether they will work not split, it all depends on how worn or not the spindle is. As you've bought the bearings it's worth a go. I hardly think you're going to be applying a lot of load on a Zyto lathe, even if it is one up on the dreaded Adept! Only joking Neil.

If you send me a pm I'll reply with my dirt mail address and then you can post the oilites to me, I'll machine them to length

15/11/2018 10:30:59

you can get oilites at Bearing Boys in uk

**LINK**

as Jeff says, shortening them is easy and you don't need to worry about closing the pores if you're just cutting the end off. the issue with dfrilling/machining refers to what will eventually be the bearing surface. Unless the tools are very sharp, the surface pores get smeared over and stop being porous. If you are drilling a hole radially who cares.

Another complication s that the bearings seems to be split longways and adjusted with a pinch bolt (at least according to the pictures on lathes.co.uk)

If you have another lathe available, why not just get some cored bronze and machine to size?

Thread: gents unipolar slave clock
14/11/2018 22:25:40

Changed to 60ms and it works even better. Less than 3.5 hours since posting the original query and it's sorted. Thanks to all

14/11/2018 20:46:20

Thanks Jon, I'll change it to 60ms.

Martin, I live close to Liverpool, and have stood next to their shortt free pendulum going 'how does that work then?' Next time I'm in L'pool I'll visit again. The new museum on the Albert Dock is not really worth a special trip, apart from a carriage from the Liverpool Overhead Railway and of course Lion from the L&M there is nothing of interest.

Thread: Do I need a hole in sintered bronze bearings
14/11/2018 19:13:55

Glacier DU is ptfe. Chap in our club has oilite axle bearings on his loco with feed holes through the shell. It has lasted for many years, although I agree this probably isn't that many hours. ML7 countershaft bearings were oilite I think, and they last for ever.

Thread: gents unipolar slave clock
14/11/2018 19:08:51

Anyone know how long the pulse should be for one of these? I've got it going with a 240mA pulse 50ms long every 30 sec. It will work on shorter, but it sort of feels better at 50ms. In reality I don't suppose it matters, but it would be nice to know. I've tried Google and got nowhere

Edited By duncan webster on 14/11/2018 19:09:41

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
méridienne Nov 18
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
Shapiro
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
Sarik
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
TRANSWAVE Converters
ChesterUK
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest