By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for duncan webster

Here is a list of all the postings duncan webster has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Boxhill Locomotive
19/07/2022 21:58:22

If you drill and tap the backhead use bronze screws

Thread: Scorchio!
19/07/2022 12:13:55
Posted by Ady1 on 19/07/2022 09:42:46:

I still think 1976 was hotter, and it just seemed to go on forever

Well it wasn't. Max temp was 35.9C, 1976. Hottest so far this time is 39.1 and it's getting hotter 2022. Yes the 1976 heatwave went on for longer, but it was exceptional, heatwaves are becoming much more frequent, and hotter. Of course this is nothing to do with global warming, so lets just burn loads more coal to generate electricity to run the air conditioning. I'm sure there is a flaw in this argument somewhere, but I'll not wait for a climate change denier to point it out.

18/07/2022 23:51:39

So humankind has hugely increased the CO2 in the atmosphere, the scientists say this will make the climate heat up, measurements show it is heating up. It takes a special kind of thinking to deny climate change.

I bet this thread gets blocked any time now!

18/07/2022 15:52:00

It's 36 in the NW here (UK). Too hot in the workshop even tho I have 8 " insulation in the roof. Now got to take dog out. He's got to wear a fur coat poor lad

Thread: Yet another scam
18/07/2022 11:26:07
Posted by Andrew Tinsley on 18/07/2022 10:03:42:

My wife applied for a new license (on line) on Wednesday evening. The new license arrived this morning. So the turn around was only two working days.

Excellent service from DVLA.

Andrew.

Applied February still no licence. They couldn't organise a party in Downing Street

Thread: Steam engine timing
17/07/2022 14:10:55

Zero lead is zero lead, it can even be negative. Whatever it is you want it the same both ends. As Jason says I'd be surprised at no lead, if nothing else it makes setting the eccentric easier.

16/07/2022 23:24:35

- The port just starts to open as the piston moves over dead-centre.

- The valve opens both ports by the same distance.

Angularity of the eccentric rod means you can't get equal lead and equal port opening. On most set ups the effect is very small but where would we be without a bit of pedantry. 

Edited By duncan webster on 16/07/2022 23:25:40

Thread: Amazing! Too Good to be True?
16/07/2022 23:14:56

You have to remember that a carburettor is guaranteed to give the wrong mixture under all conditions of load and speed. Some were worse than others.

Chap I worked with put those magic beans in his tank on a Ford engine in a kit car. Didn't stop valve seats regressing into the head, after a few 10s of thousands of miles he had to have inserts

Edited By duncan webster on 16/07/2022 23:15:30

Thread: Help with square thread
15/07/2022 18:45:41

Isn't it more likely to be 5 tpi and a 0.2" circular pitch gear. Cutting a thread to match a 16 tpi gear would be an odd tpi.

Thread: Myford Tachometer
15/07/2022 00:39:11

SS41F seems like a good candidate, cheap as chips from ebay

Thread: Wi Fi router
14/07/2022 20:02:45

In similar vein: My router is a long way from the TV, and there are a couple of substantial brick walls in the way, so I ran a CAT5 cable direct. Now we've got a Chromecast, but it hasn't got a wired input, only wifi. I used to have a gadget into which you plugged the wire from the Router which then gave several wired outputs and re-broadcast the wifi, but I've no idea where it got to, and I can't remember what it was called. Anyone got any ideas, then I can buy another one

Thread: Drill table Clamp Vice and a treat for train buffs.
13/07/2022 20:24:30

We might not like the Chinese political system (I certainly don't) but there head honchos have technical qualifications. Ours are classics scholars and lawyers who have no idea about real industry. Perhaps this has something to do with it.

Thread: Hinckley C
13/07/2022 14:52:55

CCGT stands for combined cycle gas turbine, it isn't a closed cycle, there is still hot exhaust gas and cooling towers.

The best coal fired stations were ~40%,CCGT are ~60%. I'm prepared to believe these figures but then I don't line my hat with tinfoil

Thread: Latest telephone scam
12/07/2022 15:26:16

They are engaged in a criminal enterprise and they know it. Try to keep them on for as long as possible before telling them what you think of them. At least then you are limiting the time they have to con the more gullible.

12/07/2022 14:21:33

Don't worry, nobody understands entropy, just remember that like the national debt it always increases

Thread: Centrifugal switch bakelite broken problem.
12/07/2022 14:16:08

Back when you could get inside motor starter switches I wired a second relay to the start button. Hold the button down and it energised the start windings, let go and it de-energised the start, but the run stayed latched in. Worked a treat.

Thread: Latest telephone scam
12/07/2022 14:03:15

Removed

Edited By duncan webster on 12/07/2022 14:03:56

Thread: Motorcycle General Discussion
12/07/2022 11:00:28

Alpha brochure is clearly aimed at re-aligning.

Thread: myford ml7 headstock pulley
11/07/2022 16:42:30

T here was a post from John Olsen in 2013 referring to ploy v conversion on ml7. If John is still a contributor you could try sending him a pm

10/07/2022 19:02:53

To avoid further unpleasantness here's my take on it. Burning gas produces heat. Converting heat to shaft power is inefficient, the higher the temperature the more efficient, but with current materials about 60% efficient at best. It's actually the temperature difference between highest and lowest, but we are stuck with the lower temperature, air or river used to condense the steam in a CCGT. Converting from shaft power to electricity and vice versa is very efficient with big motors or generators, and converting from shaft power or electricity to heat is 100% efficient. Thus shaft and electric are referred to as high grade, heat is lower, and the cooler the heat the lower it gets.

There are no daft questions, only daft or rude answers. This might be a daft answer, but I hope it's not rude

Edited By duncan webster on 10/07/2022 19:03:48

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Support Our Partners
Dreweatts
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
Rapid RC
cowells
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate