By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for duncan webster

Here is a list of all the postings duncan webster has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Filling the boiler
17/08/2021 13:04:57
Posted by Nigel Graham 2 on 16/08/2021 23:03:24:

Through the injector?

I'd have thought the overflow valve would prevent that? It opens to outwards flow, not inwards.

the water gets in between the end of the combining cone and the delivery cone downstream of the check valve. Photo from Manual of Steam Loco Construction.injector.jpg

Thread: Converting fractions to decimals
16/08/2021 13:48:22

If using cad you can draw it in fractions but make it do the dimensions in decimal inches. You can also make it put the metric equivalent alongside

Thread: Filling the boiler
15/08/2021 14:32:50

If it has an injector a hose connected to the overflow works

Thread: Unusual Go-No Go Tool?
15/08/2021 00:58:27

That would be a quartz fibre dosimetry, getting to be old hat when I was regularly visiting Sellafield, and that's a fair few years back. It's all done electronically now. I only had one scary moment, alarm went off continuous rather than the occasional beep. Turned out the battery was nearly flat. I don't glow in the dark

Edited By duncan webster on 15/08/2021 00:59:08

Thread: Tailstock DRO
14/08/2021 22:19:35

back in the March 2021 edition of ME I described how to make a rotary encoder based DRO for the tailstock, and several people asked for the code. One at least has got it working, but not without issues. Following advice from Silly Old Duffer, there are 2 issues

Firstly I forgot to mention in the article that you have to download the TM1638plus library. Instructions on how to do this are given in lib

They have changed this library between my installing it and now, so my code needs changing a bit. Right at the top are 3 lines which say

#include <TM1638plus.h>
#include <TM1638plus_font.h>
#include <TM1638plus.h>

delete the second 2 lines so it just says

#include <TM1638plus.h>

This may still not be enough, it appears there are some old stock Arduinos out there which the modern compiler will not deal with. If you get a message like

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

then that is your problem. To cure it go to Tools->board and select Arduino nano. Then go to tools->processor and select ATmega328P(OldBootloader)

If you still have issues let me know and I'll try to sort it.

Mine worked pretty much out of the box

Thread: BR Leader class Steam engine
13/08/2021 21:21:44
Posted by DMB on 13/08/2021 20:37:27:

Kevan Ayling of Worthing club built a 5"G Leader. As the end cabs look like those of a tube train, I called it the "Ongar Express." That remark went into the newsletter and ended up being quoted in ME.

But it had piston valves. Had Bulleid stuck to piston valves and a conventional firebox he would have had a winner. He could have put the driver in with the fireman as well, even called it a Kitson Meyer, which was a well proven type of loco

13/08/2021 14:38:46

Bullied converted a conventional loco, Hartland Point, to sleeve valves and couldn't get that to work. Despite that he embarked on building 6 Leader class locos which as well as the unproven valves had fireboxes with no water walls, which resulted in roasted firemen, and chain coupled axles. Rash to say the least. His Merchant Navy locos also had to be rebuilt. Brilliant engineer? I think not. If you want to depart from custom and practice do it one step at a time and prove it on a prototype before embarking on quantity production

Edited By duncan webster on 13/08/2021 14:39:24

Thread: Centec 2B - New arrival and Q&A
12/08/2021 22:43:14

Do you mean sealed or shielded? For a motor where what you are trying to do is keep grease in rather than muck out I'd use shielded, and if you have grease nipples prise one side shield out to let the new grease in. Having said that, for hobby use a pre-greased shielded bearing will last a very long time without new grease

Thread: Hole diameters for single point threading
12/08/2021 22:38:10

By slop do you mean axial? If so the thread engagement won't make any difference, and it makes surprisingly little difference to the strength within reasonable limits.

Thread: Jerryrigeverything channel...electic Hummer.
12/08/2021 17:36:24
Posted by pgk pgk on 12/08/2021 16:17:13:

How about a 4tonne pack for 500 mile range at 0.5WH/mile

Surely the decimal point wrong somewhere, if the truck was doing 30mph that would be a 15W motor, even 15kW would seem too small to me

12/08/2021 12:36:32

Lots of issues on Hummers with mixed steel and aluminum body panels without sufficient electrical isolation - corrosion bubbling under the paint where dissimilar materials meet can be seen on most Hummers still existing. Fuel consumption is very heavy on all models, and operator / passenger comfort is nonexistant

Inspired by the Landrover then

Thread: Making Tapered Castellations in Aluminium
11/08/2021 19:06:07

Get a suitable size bit of square bar, machine spike on it to locate the bore of your castellated thing, then you can grip this in the machine vice and use it to index pretty accurately.

Or even easier make it from square bar, finally turn it round after you've done the teeth 

Edited By duncan webster on 11/08/2021 19:09:14

Thread: equation editor
08/08/2021 22:02:49

Before any academics get upset I meant to type...... Academics like....

Thread: Motorcycle General Discussion
08/08/2021 19:16:06

How about a RR Pennine for simplicity, 24 cylinder sleeve valve, 46 litres.

You can see the attraction of the first gas turbines, one shaft with a compressor and a turbine, OK there were other bits like fuel and oil pumps, but a lot simpler

Edited By duncan webster on 08/08/2021 19:16:24

Edited By duncan webster on 08/08/2021 19:16:50

Thread: What Type/Gauge wire is best for soldering onto Arduino shields
08/08/2021 19:07:39

in UK you can get solid for permanent wiring and flexible for extensions etc where it is going to flex.

Thread: equation editor
08/08/2021 17:15:05

I think that LaTex shows how academics lie to make things difficult. WYSYWYG it isn't. I've found Formulator which seems at first sight to be OK, not used it much yet, but it's easier than Libre Office

Thanks to those who replied

Edited By duncan webster on 08/08/2021 17:15:22

Thread: What Type/Gauge wire is best for soldering onto Arduino shields
08/08/2021 16:50:33

I use wire from 4 core telephone cable

06/08/2021 11:47:58

Mine has a pair of goalposts made of angle inside the pedestal. The uprights are bolted to the sides and the motor sits on the crossbars. This is a truly awful set up, the only way of adjusting the belt is with a jack underneath, slotted holes in angle uprights. This entails lying floor on your back with your head inside the box. Thankfully I've never had to adjust the belt since fitting it. It's only plus point is that it is good and rigid

Thread: Identification.
05/08/2021 22:57:40

displacement lubricator with the cap missing

05/08/2021 22:56:44

Is the motor mounting just a bit of bent plate fastened to the back of the pedestal? As someone else said, it all looks too flexible.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
walker midge
Dreweatts
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
JD Metals
Warco
emcomachinetools
rapid Direct
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest