By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for duncan webster

Here is a list of all the postings duncan webster has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Blacking aluminium
16/06/2022 21:00:04

Anodising without suphuric acid. anodise

you still have to buy chemicals, so it's not free

Thread: 13G?
15/06/2022 23:41:34

Someone once told me that the Admiralty had a system of threads with bsw form but slightly different tpi. The reason behind this was so that if a warship fell into enemy hands they wouldn't be able to maintain it. Just shows our built in superiority complex, those foreign johnies won't be clever enough to make special nuts and bolts

Thread: Cylinder drain cocks
15/06/2022 23:36:46

Or in a recess in a bit of bar? That would stop them expanding.

Thread: motor insurance rant
15/06/2022 23:34:52

I thought this had been banned, they have to offer same price to ne and existing. How you'd police this is interesting, but I suppose some 'secret shopper' scheme could by set up.

Thread: Parting off small screws - well, it may be new to somebody
15/06/2022 19:59:53

Well have a tidy up then!

Thread: Telephone Ringback Code?
11/06/2022 20:15:13

Way back we used to dial GULO6 from a call box to get free long distance calls. Can't remember exact details.

Thread: Tom Senior Spindle Disassembly
11/06/2022 00:49:08

I'd just regrease it and leave well alone. If it ain't broke don't fix it

Thread: Electric motor test
11/06/2022 00:45:04

I've never come across a soft start single phase squirrel cage motor. Connecting direct to the mains without a lot more information sounds risky to me

Thread: MYFORD S 7 BELTS ?
10/06/2022 23:09:36

I get belts bearings etc from simply bearings. On line, by return service and as long as you haven't run it they will swap belts if you order the wrong one. Size for S7 is well known tho?

Thread: Powering a Suds pump?
10/06/2022 14:24:37

For reasons I never understood, chemical engineers where I worked used to control flow from centrifugal pumps by by-passing some of the output back to the input rather than throttling the output. Then came vfd but the electrical chaps had to be dragged kicking and screaming, their objection being something to do with waveform.

Thread: Target for This Month: A 3D Printed Engine
10/06/2022 13:37:54
Posted by Dave S on 10/06/2022 12:56:25:

Have each cylinder somewhat like a CO2 engine - input valve at the top, exhaust through a slot at the bottom.

Dave

This implies uniflow, which means lots of compression unless large clearance volume. You need a heavier flywheel for this. Proper exhaust valve better in my view

Thread: A new member with some questions please
06/06/2022 21:54:51

Looks like a 5"g Tich. Best advice is to join a club (Lincoln?) and get someone experienced to help you. Otherwise it can be a frustrating process.

06/06/2022 15:01:28

Silly Old Duffer, you're right it's not your thing!

I'll agree with Peter except purple could be drain cocks, and B is probably pump bypass

Edited By duncan webster on 06/06/2022 15:02:57

Thread: What is "Mathematics"
03/06/2022 14:03:07

Being innumerate is even worse than being inumerate, but it shows you can spell, which I plainly can't!

03/06/2022 12:46:28

The 'scientific method' is to derive a theory from first principles, but to then test it by experiment to make sure it properly describes the real world. If it doesn't then either the theory is wrong or the experiment is wrong. Usually the former, but sometimes the latter. Working out for example how much a beam will bend is based on theory, but it is well supported by long years of use.

Is looking up a formula and plugging in the numbers mathematics? Arguably it's arithmetic.

Why are some people, including those in positions of power, proud of being inumerate? Let's set the cat amongst the pigeons, accountants don't do maths, they do arithmetic. Same applies to the majority of the population. Why then do we complicate the issue by teaching schoolkids the clever stuff rather than life skills like not taking out loans at usurious interest rates. Some of the stuff my kids were taught was simply wrong, for example one question in an exam paper had one equation with 2 unknowns and they were asked to find both unknowns. The maths teacher would not have it that there were an infinite number of answers

01/06/2022 00:09:16
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 31/05/2022 20:15:03:

..........whilst engineers mostly only use maths to extract information from data, ........

Dave

Where did you get that idea from? I used maths to model all sorts of things, including solving differential equations. Needs lots of icepacks for sure, but invaluable. I'm not pompous enough to quote the 'no maths = no engineer' so beloved of academics, but some engineers certainly do clever maths, much cleverer than I would dream of

Edited By duncan webster on 01/06/2022 00:11:33

Thread: Which stand for Myford ml7
30/05/2022 15:45:47

I made mine, fabricated from RHS (square section tube). There was a lot in the scarp bin at work. The Myford stand might be too low for you, I finished up with 6" square timber under mine, much less backache. Get the cross slide handle level with your navel is about right.

You can make it deeper front to back as well, the motor sticks out anyway, making it deeper gives more storage space and more stability

Edited By duncan webster on 30/05/2022 15:47:05

Thread: What is "Mathematics"
30/05/2022 00:35:38

And remember, when that fly is squished on your windscreen, the last thing that goes through its mind is its backside

Thread: Nut Making
29/05/2022 14:32:26

Another brexit misconception, the European Court of Human Rights has nothing to do with the EU, and we are still part of that set up. I'll stop now as it will get political.

Thread: Unusual Escapement
29/05/2022 13:58:34
Posted by John Haine on 28/05/2022 18:30:41:

But we are talking about accelerations not uniform velocity. It's true that the earth is moving around the sun etc but these have negligible effects locally on something the size of the clock. In your thought experiment the suspension is oscillating above an initially stationary bob, and except when it's vertically above it it will exert a sideways force that will start it swinging. The suspension is local to the bob.

John, we'll have to agree to differ, it's a fairly academic point anyway as the challenge of moving the suspension point at exactly the correct amplitude and frequency is not trivial.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
Rapid RC
Dreweatts
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest