By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for duncan webster

Here is a list of all the postings duncan webster has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: internet cable
03/09/2021 22:41:54

Domestic management has decreed that I need to move the internet socket in the back room. I can get cat5E and cat6, both outdoor rated. I already have the wall mounted sockets from the current installation. Is there any point paying the extra for cat6? The total distance is less than 50 ft

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2021
03/09/2021 13:49:34

Fitted a new electric shower, well known UK brand. Plumb it in, wire it up, switch on, load bang and flash from pull switch. Probing with dvm showed dead short twixt live and neutral. The eyelet on the live was touching the neutral. Took less than a minute to sort it, but do they not test them before shipping? Just shows how much value there is in CE mark. Now need a new pull switch as existing is welded on. The manufacturer will be hearing from me.

Thread: Threading myth .... busted!
01/09/2021 22:59:05

Typo, for 28.5 read 26.5

Thread: Newman Motor Star To Delta?
01/09/2021 22:48:50

I once converted a bench grinder from 3 to single phase. The motor manufacturers were very helpful, but as it was an old motor they advised against running it off a vfd, something to do with insulation. Didn't matter to me as I used a steinmetz circuit (capacitors). This might be good enough for a drill machine, and a lot cheaper

Thread: Marking steel
01/09/2021 22:38:06

The man's mad! Not speedy builder, his link with the mains electric pencil

Thread: Threading myth .... busted!
01/09/2021 21:21:50

I leave the topslide parallel, then for every 10 thou of radial feed move the topslide 5 thou (or pro rata). This effectively advances the tool at an angle of 28.57 deg to the radial, so with Whit thread form you get a slight scrape on the left hand edge. If you set the dials to zero at the start, the topslide dial keeps track of where you are.

The effective thread angle is then 53 degrees, I've always wondered whether this is where Mr Whitworth got his 55 from. It works with 60 degree threads as well, just has a bigger 'scrape'

Thread: Motorcycle wheel spindles
30/08/2021 23:25:12

Listen to Clive, using unknown steel which has already done a lot of stress cycles just to save a few bob is false economy, you'll probably spend more on tips than getting something you can machine.

Thread: Q1 and B12 valve gear
29/08/2021 23:36:46

Thanks Simon, I've just downloaded the windows version from Avocet, I'll have a play. At first sight it isn't obvious how to relate the dimensions quoted to the actual bits

Edited By duncan webster on 29/08/2021 23:54:25

Thread: Myford threaded chucks on a Rotary Table?
29/08/2021 20:33:20

If the chuck is smaller than the table, I'd make up a fitting to go the the table centre with a spigot to locate the chuck, but no thread, then have long tee bolts to hold the chuck down

If nothing else this will be stiffer.

Thread: Q1 and B12 valve gear
29/08/2021 20:26:42

Some time ago I did a computer model of Stephenson valve gear to help a chap who had made the expansion link radius wrong. None of the other packages would allow this. I've been tidying it up, and am now looking for some typical dimensions to add to the package. With considerable help from Silly Old Duffer, I've extracted some dimensions from the late Bill Hall's program, but when I come to load it into mine I find that it is incomplete. Does anyone have information on the Q1 model which featured in ME some years ago, or the GER 1500 class, later known as LNER B12. I have details of eccentrics, eccentric rods, expansion links and the link suspension, but nothing thereafter, rocker beam etc

Whilst you are looking, the standard GWR setup as applied to Churchward 2-8-0 etc would be nice. According to OSNock, all Churchward 2 cyl locos had the same gear dimensions? Can anyone confirm this?

Failing the above, any full size setups would suffice

Edited By duncan webster on 29/08/2021 20:34:29

Thread: Coolant pump - how to slow flow rate?
29/08/2021 20:16:02

Industrial centrifugal pumps are regulated by bypass, either back to tank or of not convenient, back to inlet. More modern method is VFD, but that would be overkill for a coolant pump.

Thread: Protractors scaled in Radians
29/08/2021 00:13:48

So freely available in Wigan then? (the land of pies}

Thread: MT 4 1/2
27/08/2021 23:45:32

There must be hundreds of lathes with MT4.5 headstocks, and when they pass from industry to private hands the adaptor bush always seems to go missing, probably because it is only used for between centre turning so is kept in a cupboard somewhere. An opportunity for Ketan to get a batch made?

Thread: A SIMPLE POINT !
27/08/2021 21:43:27

I've seen carpenters drill pilot hole then hammer the screw half way in, finally screwing in with a screwdriver. This before these modern parallel (wood) screws and electric screwdrivers, which have totally changed things.

Thread: Identifying Monel metal rivets
27/08/2021 14:34:09

For the cost of known copper rivers I wouldn't risk using unknown material.

Thread: A SIMPLE POINT !
27/08/2021 14:27:10

In case anyone is wondering what the fuss is about, if loaded in shear a bolt with a plain shank has a much better abutment against a round hole, and has a significantly higher shear load capacity. This implies that the plain bit should be just less in length than the thickness of the 2 bits that it is going through

Thread: Build a Pallet Beehive
27/08/2021 11:09:15
Posted by Ady1 on 27/08/2021 06:05:46:

A wild animal on a farmers land which competes for food and spreads disease would be shot

Badgers?

Thread: Choosing a boring head
26/08/2021 19:54:57
Posted by DC31k on 26/08/2021 07:01:24:

It is much easier to produce a razor sharp HSS tool than a carbide one.

For razor sharp high carbon steel (ie silver steel) is even better, but you have to keep the speed down to avoid spoiling the hardness. Not a problem I suggest with a small boring job on Oilite

Thread: Hanson Steel Buildings
25/08/2021 23:58:33

Steel Buildings can be murder for condensation unless lined and insulated

Thread: THE NUMBER 9 !
25/08/2021 12:52:21
Posted by Grindstone Cowboy on 25/08/2021 00:16:42:

Duncan - it's also a big river. I'm assuming we aren't allowed to mention the actual website?

Rob

Doh!!!!

must try harder

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
rapid Direct
Dreweatts
Eccentric July 5 2018
JD Metals
Warco
emcomachinetools
cowells
walker midge
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest