By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for duncan webster

Here is a list of all the postings duncan webster has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: C1 Quick Change Post and Tool Chest question
28/02/2016 11:24:57

I've been looking for a Bisley cabinet for the right price for years. They have much shallower drawers than usual filing cabinets and so are great for tool storage.

Thread: The Manchester Model Engineering Exhibition
27/02/2016 16:04:15

Excellent standard of exhibits, but poor venue, short of car parking and very crowded inside. Queue for the cafe was a joke. I hope they do it again, but needs more space

Thread: Tongue in cheek
25/02/2016 23:38:28

Place I worked many years ago the Chief Engineer visited his sister in denmark. Whilst he was there he found some cheap tape measures on the market, so he bought some and brought them into the workshop. It took some time and a lot of cursing before we realised that if you measured up with an English tape measure but then made the bits with a Danish one they had no chance of fitting together. It didn't work the other way either, but bits which had been too small became too big if you see what I mean.

Thread: Rodney Milling Aattachment
21/02/2016 16:18:15

I'd machine a short tube to support the outer member but clear the disc behind the flats, stand it on end on something solid and give it a whack on the top end with a copper or nylon hammer. How hard is a matter of judgement, but I strongly suspect that the spindle complete with bottom bearing will then come out.

You can get an instruction sheet from https://store.lathes.co.uk/print/mr532, but no idea how detailed it is

Thread: What Did You Do Today (2016)
19/02/2016 21:44:08

INEOS in Warrington, first picture shows disused grain silo and Fiddler's Ferry power station, 2nd shows west coast main line, third shows transporter bridge, which is now listed but just rusting away. Unusual it was built to carry railway waggons,not road traffic. Just announced Fiddler's Ferry is to close, we keep on being told of power stations closing, but never of them opening. Invest in candles!

Edited By duncan webster on 19/02/2016 21:44:32

Thread: new forward stop reverse swtich
17/02/2016 20:05:35

When I got it my Myford 254 had single phase motor and three control buttons, fwd, rev, stop. They were connected to a single contactor. No idea how it worked, but it wasn't Myford's own. When I changed to 3 phase I sold it, but if it is of any interest I can dig out the manual and see if there is a part number.

However, if you're faced with a new motor I'd seriously consider 3 phase and VFD, so much smoother, and even on a milling machine having speed control is great.

Thread: Picking one UK show to attend..
14/02/2016 00:09:34

the problem with ging to Brooklands is that it will be full of Southerners (only joking chaps). ME has given up on anyone to from the south east

Thread: Cheap stepper motor couplings?
12/02/2016 14:34:01

Thanks John, at least I've learned something today and won't be wasting my money on that type of coupling

11/02/2016 18:42:24

I think you'll find the 'flexible shaft' couplings are a series of sawcuts to nearly half way from both sides, with alternate cuts rotated 90 degrees. A spiral cut would act like a helical spring and have little torsional stiffness.

I used a tooth belt drive on my Centec as the endfloat adjusting nut is on the end of the feedscrew and I couldn't see an easy way of fitting an Oldham coupling. It's driven by a PIC with commercial driver, similar to your proposal. If you want the software, which would readily convert to Arduino, send me a PM. One of these days I'll get round to putting some intelligence into it, at present end of travel is set by microswitches.

Thread: Retired American living in France with a new toy
11/02/2016 15:35:09

There seems to be more posts about brushed motors and electronic speed controllers than anything else. On my little Perris I have a 3 phase motor and inverter, both industrial quality. When I bought the lathe it had a sewing machine motor, waste of time, putting on a cut slowed it down alarmingly. I replaced that with a Parvalux squirrel cage, much better, but then I got hold of the 3 phase motor as a swap and it's never been better. If you can dump the Chinese motor and fit a proper one you'll not be sorry!

Thread: How to gently increasing pulley bore size
11/02/2016 00:04:37

Make up a soft lap and use te driling machine to drive it, assuming drill is something like square to table

Thread: Westbury's Wombat
09/02/2016 13:32:20

Neil says "ETW didn't make errors." Are we to assume he didn't make anything then? His Jubilee Clock by all accounts wasn't a stunning success.

Edited By duncan webster on 09/02/2016 13:32:43

Thread: What Did You Do Today (2016)
08/02/2016 23:51:09

To be strictly accurate what I did yesterday was make a new crankshaft for my ST engine. SWMBO managed to knock it off the chest of drawers where it has resided for a long time, fell about 3 feet to the floor and bent the crankshaft. Tried straightening, no good. It was flycranks loctited to bar, so not actually that bad, but don't tell the domestic authorities!

Thread: Old PC Linux
07/02/2016 23:10:33

Had a think, and one of the things I'm likely to want to run is a CAD program so I can look at dwgs in the workshop and take dimensions off them. I doubt I'll want to draw anything, but if it has the functionality to take dimensions I suspec it will draw. I use Draftsite, and they do a linux versuon, so I'll have to do some digging on hardware requirements. I also want to listen to the wireless (catch up), looks like I download something alled RythmBox. Everything else (word processor etc on Libre Office) seems to be available, so I'll hang fire on wine for the time being.

Thanks again.

Edited By duncan webster on 07/02/2016 23:15:00

Edited By duncan webster on 07/02/2016 23:15:51

Edited By duncan webster on 07/02/2016 23:17:16

Thread: Jowitt MkII Popett Valve Engine Build
07/02/2016 20:15:26

Looks good to me, will the 3D model work in Inventor? #2 son has access to this at work.

Thread: Old PC Linux
07/02/2016 20:12:45

An update.

#2 son finally sorted me out. We've actually installed Mint on an old laptop, which had a better spec than the really old PC, as it was easier at the time. We've done it so that it boots off the USB stick in linux, or in XP if no stick. I'm impressed so far, all I have to do now is workout how Wine works. no not the stuff that makes you squiffy, I'm an expert on that, but how to run windose programs on linux. There seems to be plenty of help out ther, if I get stuck I'll shout. At this rate I'll be dumping XP.

Thanks for all the help chaps

Thread: Boiler fittings - is brass OK?
07/02/2016 16:09:35

I think we need a real metallurgist to comment on this one, I just take it from one that I knew at work (before I retired) that austenitic and hot water under stress is a problem. Presence of chloride ions makes it worse, and tap water contains traces of chloride, which get concentrated in a boiler as the water bois away leaving the chloride behind.

Thread: NIGEL GRESLEY DIMENSIONS
07/02/2016 15:56:35

And the dimensions you didn't ask for but might need

release holes in top of safety valve, 4 off #40 (0.098" which might mean these are the limiting factor on steam release, not the main bore

Superheater elements, 2 per flue, 3/8" OD 20 swg

blastpipe diametert 1/4"

Thread: Boiler fittings - is brass OK?
07/02/2016 14:54:40

Avoid stainless steel like the plague if it is near the water in the boiler. Sounds daft I know, but unless you are certain you have the right grade, hot water under pressure can cause all sorts of problems. You are OK in superheaters as there shouldn't be liguid water

Thread: Bending steel
06/02/2016 23:17:42

Not directly relevant, but Toolstatio have a really good offer on LEDs. I've bought a load of 10W at 5 for a tenner and they are pretty good. No idea wat tungstenequivalent, but one is plenty for a not too big room.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
rapid Direct
Eccentric July 5 2018
MIDLNDS GARDEN RAIL Jan 2022
cowells
emcomachinetools
Warco
JD Metals
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest