By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for duncan webster

Here is a list of all the postings duncan webster has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Garmin sat nav
17/07/2021 13:07:17

......'

Galileo was developed by the EU specifically because GPS and GLASNOST are military systems. Not for moral reasons, but because military systems during times of tension are liable to be encrypted or used to apply political pressure.

Dave

So of course we walked away from it, I'll stop now or it will get political

Thread: Chuck fitting
16/07/2021 23:14:51

You could just glue some spacers in the counterbores?, Or if you don't mind the faff and always losing them just have loose spacers.

Thread: Gasket material for lathe gearbox ?
16/07/2021 23:08:01

As this gasket possibly affects the line up f the leadscrew I'd mike a bit of the old stuff and make sure you get the same or as near as possible

Thread: Garmin sat nav
16/07/2021 19:00:53

Back to the original theme, new battery seems to have fixed it.fairly easy to fit as well.

Thread: GigaFactory
15/07/2021 20:07:41
Posted by ChrisH on 15/07/2021 18:30:48:

The problem to consigning a sector of the public to use public transport rather than their own cars for mobility is that public transport for those in rural areas is not good, services are few and far between.

Public transport may be OK in cities but for folk living in the sticks its not much good if getting to town is on a Tuesday but the bus back is not till Friday.

Chris

Never mind cities, I live in a largeish town, if I get back to the main railway station after 8:30pm I would have to walk home. OK it's only about 3 miles, but I won't be able to do that for many more years. People who live in metropolises, shouldn't make pronouncements when they know nothing about how the rest of us live.

Thread: Autolock stuck drawbar won't screw in
15/07/2021 16:08:25

The collar on top of the chuck is probably threaded with a fine pitch left hand thread. In use you are meant to snug it up against the face of the arbour to stiffen up the mt2 taper. You might be able to use it to jack the taper out,but try to get a proper Peg spanner rather than just a Tommy bar

Thread: The last Gravity Ropeway
14/07/2021 13:41:41

Perhaps Michael Gilligan should pay them a visit, he's in the market for some decent brickswink

Thread: Walker Midgley Insurance for Model Engineers
13/07/2021 21:28:09

I thought advertising on the forum was banned.

Thread: Man management
13/07/2021 13:29:01
Posted by JasonB on 13/07/2021 07:08:03:
Posted by duncan webster on 12/07/2021 23:05:19:

When I built my last house extension I had to get the design approved before I started and the Building Inspector would come round at pre-arranged points in the build to inspect what had been done. Sounds a bit bureaucratic, but he was actually very helpful. As I understand it that's all gone, and builders get to mark their own homework. Result, all these unsaleable properties with built in defects.

Don't know where you get that Duncan, I still get the building inspector in where it's needed and yes they can be very helpful particularly if you are doing things right and not a cowboy.

Planning and Building Control are two separate departments though they do tend to talk to one another. Planning only needs to know what the basic project will look like, once you get permission (more permitted developement now does not need it) you then notify building control (and send fee) who will want a lot more detail of construction even for works that did not need planning permission and they will visit as and when called in at various stages of the work, Finally they will issue a completion certificate which any solicitor will find on a search if selling the property.

Some work can be done just by sending in a notice such as a boiler change by a Gassafe fitter, window changes by FENSA member etc where their qualifications are taken as them doing the work correctly.

Edited By JasonB on 13/07/2021 07:15:46

According to building inspection you can either get approval from the council, or from an Approved Inspector, who will be paid by the developer. Probably not worth it for small/medium builder, but tempting for a big developer. As I said above, not quite marking your own homework.

This really has drifted off topic hasn't it

Edited By duncan webster on 13/07/2021 13:33:56

13/07/2021 00:16:01

Ah but you can appoint your own building inspector, whose independence is guaranteed by his relying on you for getting paid. Not quite marking your own homework I will admit, but not far off

12/07/2021 23:05:19

When I built my last house extension I had to get the design approved before I started and the Building Inspector would come round at pre-arranged points in the build to inspect what had been done. Sounds a bit bureaucratic, but he was actually very helpful. As I understand it that's all gone, and builders get to mark their own homework. Result, all these unsaleable properties with built in defects.

Thread: How important are odd-sized milling cutters? (Clarkson vs ER)
12/07/2021 20:12:39

?? my 3/8 BSW stuff fits in the horizontal as well, and it has a captive drawbar

Thread: Shock at low pay for high skill
12/07/2021 17:02:12

deleted

Edited By duncan webster on 12/07/2021 17:04:10

Thread: How important are odd-sized milling cutters? (Clarkson vs ER)
12/07/2021 15:21:58

If you have a captive drawbar, which is what centec is designed for, you can't get a mt2 with tang in. If you cut off the tang you then can't get the mt2 out, no slot in mandrel. You could have a non captive drawbar and use a rod down the hole to bump the mt2 out, but far and away the best is mt2 with tapped hole for drawbar and a captive drawbar

12/07/2021 12:30:30
Posted by William Ayerst on 12/07/2021 11:01:52:

I have realised that if I use Clarkson, I won't be able to drill with my existing drill bits, or ream with my existing reamers (unless they fall into those precise measurements).......

Get a jacobs chuck mounted on a 2MT arbor with a drawbar

12/07/2021 11:58:03

I don't know where that drawing came from, but 1/2" BSW won't go down the spindle on a Centec VH, at least not mine. 3/8" is the biggest, it won't even accept M10. If I were starting again I'd look into getting the hole opened up, as 3/8" BSW stuff is getting increasingly rare. Don't panic, you can still get it.

ER25 is big enough for a Centec, will hold 16mm cutter. The only drawback with ER vs Clarkson is if you are doing a big cut with the side of the cutter they can tend to draw out with ER, but Centec isn't that sort of machine.

Thread: Power feeds for Chinese mills
12/07/2021 11:42:34

Many moons ago I made a drive for the Naerok miller using a DC motor and a train of gears. This had two disadvantages:

1. When the cut started and more load went on the motor it all slowed down, by quite a lot, in fact if set for a very slow feed it would just stop.. I can wax lyrical about why, but not here
  2. you had to disconnect the drive to do manual feed.

I overcame the first by incorporating a feedback loop. I suspect people using windscreen wiper motors just have a lot of oomph to spare so it doesn't slow down as much.

The setup on my Centec uses a stepper with tooth belt drive. It is so much easier. If you use one of the pulse generator things referred to above it is just buy some bits, make up a mounting bracket, join the bits together and go. No need for a clutch, just wind the motor round. No need to know anything technical about steppers or controllers. Mine is a bit cleverer as it incorporates acceleration ramps

Thread: Shock at low pay for high skill
11/07/2021 23:49:43

I can't get worked up about a skilled machinist calling himself an engineer. I have quite a few letters after my name, but I wouldn't pretend to even have a clue about driving (for instance) a horizontal borer, especially cutting an internal thread. Similarly I'd be quite worried if the horizontal borer guy set about doing the sums for designing a bridge. And yes I do realise that some highly skilled shop floor guys will move into the more theoretical roles.

Many moons ago there were sandwich courses, where aspiring graduate engineers did a mix of industrial and academic time, including starting off by at least learning what various machine tools and other processes could achieve. This has always seemed like a very good idea to me, Unfortunately I wasn't made aware of this until too late, but on leaving university I got myself a shop floor job. Only basic stuff, and not for very long, but it has been immensely useful over the years, especially when some production engineer was trying to pull the wool over my eyes.

What does get up my nose is the "sales engineer" in the shiny suit with the company car who goes around agreeing with the customer to supply something that can't be made within the timescale or cost quoted. Then he gets a bonus for increasing sales and the poor engineers get blamed for being over budget and time.

Would I advise my son to go into engineering? Well I did, and he's doing well. What's not to like about using other people's money to make whizzo machines

Thread: Blown Bricks : Advice please !
11/07/2021 23:26:52

There are various grades of brick, classified by frost proof ness. see bricks (despite the same name, I have nothing to do with the brick company!) Not that this helps now. Your only answer is to dig the blown ones out and replace with better bricks. This might look a right mess unless you can get something that matches, but as others have said it's not technically that difficult. Not getting mortar all over the face of the brick is the skilled bit

I think the strength of the mortar is more to do with accommodating slight movement of the foundations, if the mortar is weaker than the bricks the mortar cracks and you can remedy it by pointing, if the other way round the bricks crack. as you have said some bricks have blown without seeing any mortar

Thread: Bearing Location - Pulley or mounting block
11/07/2021 20:33:39

Whichever way you do it, the bearings should be a light push fit in the bit that goes round, ie on the shaft if the bearings are in the block, or in the pulleys if t'other way.

A purist would say that the bearings will last longer if in the block , but either will see me out, so I wouldn't get worked up about that.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
rapid Direct
cowells
emcomachinetools
Warco
walker midge
JD Metals
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest