By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for duncan webster

Here is a list of all the postings duncan webster has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Lathe gear calculation
07/07/2021 20:11:43

This just run and runs!

I've taken SODs Python rewrite of the original Basic program and added a couple of bells/whistles. Ian's printout is Driver/driver/driven/driven, but it doesn't say so. Here's the output from python

In IanT's version it potentially prints the same set of gears 4 times, as (CD)/(AB) is the same as (DC)/(AB) and so on.

Note how the 63 tooth driver gives the best results

Next step is to convert it into an exe so that anyone who wants it can have a copy. I know this can be done, but my computer is not playing ball. Any volunteers?

What a performance to get this on here. If I just copy/paste the python output this site screws up the column separation, so I had to screendump, convert to JPG and put it in as a photo. There must be an easier way?

screwcut.jpg

07/07/2021 19:57:46

deleted whilst I sort out the formatting

Edited By duncan webster on 07/07/2021 20:03:52

Thread: Equatorial Sundial construction (kits?)
07/07/2021 13:29:00

make the wooden former to the finished size, bend the brass, measure the actual radius, make the former a bit smaller, bend it again and so on

Thread: Lathe gear calculation
07/07/2021 13:04:18

As I pointed out in the other thread, the program referred to by IanT does not print out one of the gears, it also does not tell you which are drivers or driven

For example, the first row above would be

Drivers = 30, 75 Driven = 55, 65

tpi is then 8 *(55*65)/(30*75) = 12.711

it would not be difficult to make the program differentiate, but I don't do basic anymore

07/07/2021 00:13:01

I think the 63t gear in metric setups should be a DRIVER. Why? Well100:127 is very near to 63:80, accurate to 1 part in 10000

Thread: Universal thread cutting
06/07/2021 12:38:10

From my days working on a real live drawing board, angles were as far as possible multiples of 15 because there was a quick release button that locked the rules in 15 degree increments.

And yes on occasions I did have to draw in Indian ink on linen to modify old drawings, but not with a quill pen. Spring bows were a nightmare, Rotring pens much more forgiving

Thread: Fusible plug in a 5" gauge copper boiler?
06/07/2021 01:24:45

Just to be pedantic (who me) a mix of lead and tin will always melt below 328 and can be as low as 183 (eutectic)

Thread: Shock at low pay for high skill
05/07/2021 23:57:14

My figure came from statista, and isn't far off ONS. According to this STATS median salary is £68100. Just shows there are lies, damn lies and statistics

05/07/2021 20:57:13
Posted by Neil Lickfold on 05/07/2021 20:17:10:

..... It used to be 3x the minimum wage, now it is close to 1.5x minimum wage. .......

There are a few places that pay well, they have a low turnover of staff too.

Minimum wage is £8.91/hr. 25/8.91 = 2.8

05/07/2021 19:14:48

£25/hour full time is about £49K/year. This is not bad money, bearing in mind you get paid holidays and pension contributions in with that. Medion salary in UK is £31.5K, so 50% up. Whilst I don't wish to comment on train drivers wages I would point out that they have to work rubbish shifts and need a great deal of route knowledge. You or I couldn't just jump in and drive.

Thread: Anyone know what is going on at Homeworkshop?
05/07/2021 18:40:33

Not only is it working for me, there is an ad for a Centec Mk3 vertical head assembly with Int30 taper. These make unicorn droppings look commonplace, never mind rocking horse

Thread: Link to Arc and Chronos sites errors
04/07/2021 20:30:56

Arc's website doesn't seem to give the option of rejecting cookies, so I won't be going there any time soon. Pity really as I've bought stuff from them before

Thread: Stone moving machine
04/07/2021 20:27:22

Is there a prize for the most boring video? I gave up after about 5 minutes, still hadn't got to the interesting bit. Lots of USA you tubers seem to want to drag it out as well.

Thread: Universal thread cutting
04/07/2021 20:25:11

Go for it, the vast majority of the electronics will carry across to another lathe if you ever change. I built a Joe Noci version (described in MEW), wouldn't be without it.

Thread: Milling machine in the (wood floored) workshop
03/07/2021 16:48:10

My floor is 22mm chipboard on 25mm polystyrene on 24"sq concrete flags (the original garage floor) Where I have heavy machine feet I've cut a 4" or so square hole in the floor and used solid wood packers down to the flags.

Thread: Axle box lubrication
03/07/2021 16:30:27

Don't feed it vertically downwards on the axle centre line. This is the area of highest bearing load. Someone did an experiment many moons ago with an oil pad under the axle and a hole in the top, oil was pumped out of the hole

Thread: Change Wheel Programme from MEW
03/07/2021 12:46:41

I'm not going to get involved in the 'which language is better' issue, but both the original Basic and SOD's python omit to print out the value for the first gear in the train, 'a'

I think the Basic should read:

If A*B*8/C/D < X And A*B*8/C/D > Y Then Print A," ", C;" "; D; " "; B;" ";A*B*8/C/D

and the last line of the Python should be

print(a,c,d,b, F'{value:.3f}'

or even better print("a = ", a, "c = ", c, £d = ", d, "b = ", b, "tpi = ", F'{value:.3f}'

Thread: Roof insulation
02/07/2021 21:43:06

I ran the cabling in plastic conduit below the ceiling so I can get to it if ever needed.

Thread: 4MCAD from Mintronics
02/07/2021 11:47:14

Steve,

No idea why NanoCad is being problematical, I've now downloaded it 3 times successfully on both W7 and W10

I think you must be looking in the wrong place for SE, I downloaded a free version but I found it difficult to get on with. Very different to the AutoCad I'm used to, and it's inability to tie linetype and colour to layers was a fatal flaw for me, so I've not downloaded it to the latest PC. However others swear by it (I swore at it!), and as a gateway to their free 3D CAD it should not be dismissed.

Thread: Model Engineer's Auction
01/07/2021 23:17:03

On looking at the photo again I think lot 89 is a 4" 4 jaw and a 3 " 4 jaw, both self Centre but not griptru

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
BOLDON
JD Metals
walker midge
rapid Direct
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest