By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for duncan webster

Here is a list of all the postings duncan webster has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: An Uninvited Guest!
28/10/2021 00:46:24

So as this has degenerated into gardening, anyone know how to get rid of oxalis (wood sorrel) in the lawn? We've tried selective weedkiller

(

Thread: Fire tubes
26/10/2021 13:26:25

Buy a copy of Keith Hales book from Cup alloys. Don't listen to anyone who says to make them a tight fit

Thread: Rust Protection
25/10/2021 22:42:31

When I converted my single skin brick garage I had the floor done with mastic ashpalt. Gets it very smooth and waterproof, ten 25mm foam covered with 22mm flooring grade chipboard. Cut holes in it and use solid packers for machine feet. The as others have said build an inside out shed inside with insulation in the walls. Vapour barrier between the inner skin and the insulation. Now as warm as toast and no rust

The white expanded foam isn't fire rated I believe, the pin stuff is, but is more expensive. You ca get rigidised rockwool as well, known as cavity bats

Edited By duncan webster on 25/10/2021 22:44:05

Thread: Sewage dumping
25/10/2021 14:18:57

So we privatised electricity generation, a large part of which is now owned by EDF, an arm of the French government, and a lot of our rail freight operation is run by DB SCHENKER, an arm of the German government. What we appear to have achieved is a transfer of what we used to own to foreign governments. Who did this? The same lot who have now voted to allow the water companies (who we also used to own) to pump sewage into the rivers. Perhaps if our civil servants were technically competent we wouldn't be in this mess, but never fear, if the ancient Romans ever invade again our leader will be able to converse with them

Thread: Rust Protection
24/10/2021 16:59:40
Posted by Bo'sun on 09/10/2021 08:59:15:

Why Lanolin? I recall using it as an apprentice to protect measuring instruments in the metrology department.

I guess if it keeps sheep dry, it must have something going for it.

Esholt (Bradford) sewage works used to extract lanolin from effluent, there was a big wool industry in Bradford. Among others they sold it to cosmetic manufacturers. They also heat treated the solids and sold them to gardeners. Good stuff by all accounts

Thread: Sewage dumping
24/10/2021 15:26:00
Posted by Rockingdodge on 24/10/2021 14:42:59:
Posted by duncan webster on 24/10/2021 13:50:34:

Posted by Rockingdodge on 24/10/2021 12:11:23

​​​​​​....... the water company dumped raw sewage for 40,000 hours in 12 months!!

Roger

They must employ Dr Who, there are only 8760 hours in a year. However

Umm no Duncan, if one outflow is opened for say 100 hours in a year and there are say 100 outflows then that is 10,000 hours of sewage, now the river Wye is one of the longest river in the UK so you see how the maths work and how the total can add up.

Edited By

Doh! Silly me!

24/10/2021 13:50:34

Posted by Rockingdodge on 24/10/2021 12:11:23

​​​​​​....... the water company dumped raw sewage for 40,000 hours in 12 months!!

Roger

They must employ Dr Who, there are only 8760 hours in a year. However I do take the point, round here tots of driveways just direct rainwater onto the road, from where it goes into the foul sewer. I'd rather have road runoff in the river than sewage, is this a case of the best being the enemy of the good?

Thread: Vice
23/10/2021 00:02:16

I don't know of any family connection with Noah Webster, but some American president reckoned that if you could only think of one way to spell a word you had a small mind. My grand daughter (age 5) agrees, she spelled cucumber as quoocomb, which I reckon is an improvement on the original

Thread: Locomotive boiler wrap
22/10/2021 23:40:59

Isn't ally more likely to get dents? Don't forget to allow for the cladding when making your templates. I think cork sheet is as good as anything.

Thread: Advice from the photographers.
22/10/2021 20:52:51
Posted by Martin Kyte on 22/10/2021 20:20:58:

Do not destroy the slides. Thay are far more permanent than digital copies.

regards Martin

I'm not convinced, when I set out to digitise my 50+ year old slides I found they had deteriorated badly. Finished up throwing them.

Thread: Coupling and drawbar standards
22/10/2021 13:59:20

Cranked coupling bars will have the effect of lifting the back of 5" g locos. I would have though it worth the effort of providing a second set of connections to suit 5"g. If the 7.25" coupling is not central to the 5" loco it will also be trying to derail it

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2021
21/10/2021 21:25:19

No moles, I'll just tell them the civil lads that there are lots of cables in a straight line. Actually there are lots of trees roots, so I suspect moles (thrust borers?) might have a difficult time.

When I had a new gas pipe installed at home they used a thrust borer. Fascinating, as Mike says, 2 holes, then a sighting contraption to set it off in the right direction and 25 feet away it pops out into the second hole. You could tell fairly accurately how it was getting on through the soles of your feet. I also had the electricity supply re-routed at the same time. Lots f banter from the guys who came to do it until the chap who actually did the connection. Working on live conductors down a hole in the drive. He didn't want to be distracted. I suppose they didn't want to turn off the whole street

Thread: Coupling and drawbar standards
21/10/2021 18:25:01

SMEE standard says 3+21/32, which is near enough Peter's figure. Don't understand Dave's point at all.

Thread: Saving the Planet or is it ?
21/10/2021 10:03:10
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 15/10/2021 10:04:11:

NEWSFLASH :

On the same morning that we learned HRH was critical of those who talk not do …

This story came as a breath of fresh air : **LINK**

https://www.wired.com/story/growing-crops-under-solar-panels-now-theres-a-bright-idea/

[ signs of intelligent life on our planet ]

MichaelG.

Rhubarb grows in the dark, so cover Al the rhubarb sheds roofs with solar panels. More seriously, all new buildings should be roofed with solar panels, and many existing ones could be retrofitted

Thread: gas burners
20/10/2021 20:57:54

I've been looking at some USA sites where they seem to be well on with gas fired locos. One refers to #67 holes. In UK speak this would be 0.032" Can any of our transatlantic readers advise is US the same or do they do their own thing

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2021
20/10/2021 16:11:26

Thanks Nicholas, but it's only 1 sqmm stuff, so the cable will cost less than the repair thing, and the idiots who dug through it will have the joy of digging the trench

Edited By duncan webster on 20/10/2021 17:41:48

20/10/2021 15:04:05

They are building a deviation at my ME club, which means modifying the signalling system. I'm the S&T engineer. Each signal has 3 cables going to it. The civil engineering department has managed to hit all three, cutting 2 of them completely. One of them in 3 places within 2 foot run. You can see where the cables go underground, and see where they surface about 4 feet away. Do we just have uniquely stupid members? I'm not prepared to contemplate underground joints, so I now have to replace long lengths.

Edited By duncan webster on 20/10/2021 15:05:30

Thread: From where I might be able to source some 1300 micron (1.3mm) mild steel sheet?
19/10/2021 22:45:39

Most thin sheet will be CR4, very low carbon, high ductility for pressing. As to why it has a large tolerance, well if you make things to a tight tolerance it costs more, so if it doesn't matter, you don't, and for most applications it doesn't. As others have said, design around what is available, or pay the cost of grinding it to size

Thread: Joining 20g brass
18/10/2021 16:29:21

Someone many years ago in ME described constructing a tender using rivets and epoxy.

Thread: LBSC 440 Virginia
18/10/2021 16:04:23

I find having too many projects on the go can be overload, you never seem to get anything finished

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
rapid Direct
JD Metals
walker midge
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest