By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for duncan webster

Here is a list of all the postings duncan webster has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Machinery hire?
27/09/2020 18:03:21

I've seen what I can only describe as 'scoop lorries' picking up rubble from building jobs around here, a telescopic arm with a clamshell grab mounted on a big lorry. Not sure how far they reach, but ring a local skip hire chap, they will know someone who has one.

Thread: Steam Raising Blower
27/09/2020 17:58:47

If you partially or fully block the inlet or outlet of a fan it will speed up. That's because it is doing less work, I know it's counter-intuitive. Having said that, to regulate the suck it is much better to use an electronic controller, cheaply available off ebay.

It's just dawned on me that a ready supply of steam raising blowers could be the motor/fan combinations out of these battery powered vacuum cleaners that you see advertise all the time. I reckon the most common failure will be the batteries giving up, and they might start appearing at the tip. I've got one put away that I was going to press into use for an organ. It looks as tho the air is ducted back round the outside of the motor to cool it, but if running under less voltage it might well survive without.

I use one of those ex military radar cooling fans which are advertised as working off 12v. Not for a medium sized 5"g loco they don't. but 12-24v converters are again readily available.

25/09/2020 12:41:48

I know this is nit picking, but I wonder how many of those little motors have decent thrust bearings to carry the weight of the fan? They seem to last long enough in any case.

22/09/2020 12:59:30

Chap in our club used the fan and casing from a central heating boiler with 12v motor grafted on

Thread: Arduino Pendulum Clock Design - Comments Welcome
21/09/2020 18:44:54

John's link claims to be a through hole reflective sensor, but if you read the datasheet it is a beam interrupt device with built in Schmidt, these are what I used on my clock, only difference mine were Omron

Thread: Changes to Fusion 360 Terms
21/09/2020 00:01:10

Thanks Ian, I've been using SE 2-D for a while and am beginning to get used to its oddities, I'll bear the 3-D version in mind. When the Alibre offer via MEW was on I gave it a go and was surprised how well I got on with it. I managed to model a tapered fluted con rod and work out its mass and CG, so impressed myself at least. That was a while ago, so I'll be at the bottom of the learning curve again

Edited By duncan webster on 21/09/2020 00:01:35

Thread: REMOVING STEEL BOILER TUBES
19/09/2020 14:49:40

I very much doubt a model has these, but some boilers have stay tubes which are welded both ends. These are definitely structural

Thread: Changes to Fusion 360 Terms
19/09/2020 14:47:20
Posted by Brian H on 19/09/2020 12:27:27:

I think you have some of us salivating Neil, when can you tell us?

Brian

I was saving up to buy Alibre, don't trust cloud only, especially after DrafSight pulled the plug. I'll never go for CNC, so should I just keep my powder dry?

Thread: What's a Tubular T-Nut
19/09/2020 14:43:19

I think the tubular bit is bigger diameter than the width of the the tee slot so you can get a bigger thread in. Having said that you can easily get 1/4" or M6 thread into a normal nut, and that should provide enough clamping force for a fairly light machine like a Myford

19/09/2020 13:13:13

If you could manage without the 'after waiting y miiliseconds' this tells you how to do it

**LINK**

Thread: REMOVING STEEL BOILER TUBES
18/09/2020 21:28:34

That's why some of them have the front end swaged a bit bigger so that once you've got them clear of the firebox end and a few inches out it becomes a lot easier

Edited By duncan webster on 18/09/2020 21:29:18

Thread: Gloves in a Bottle
17/09/2020 21:25:03

Many of there products contain or at least used to contain lanolin. This comes from washing sheep's fleeces and was extracted from effluent by Bradford sewage works at Esholt not sure how many cosmetic users know they are using a sewage bi product

Thread: Boring bars
17/09/2020 19:21:40

I'd take a bit off the bottom, then it will sit on a flat rather than an arc

Thread: 2020 Stevenson Trophy Competition
17/09/2020 11:06:09
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 16/09/2020 15:51:39:

Hi Duncan,

A shame, you should have included that with your entry (although I was really grateful for an entry that fitted in a half page!) I don't think it would be fair to add it to the voting page at this stage as others may want to add extra as well.

Neil

As I said when I submitted the entry, I don't expect to win, you only had one entry at the time and I thought I'd provide something for him to beat rather than win by default

Thread: triple expansion engine piston rings
16/09/2020 20:10:22

From the photos here **LINK** it appears the engine has gunmetal cylinders, so I don't reckon cast iron rings are going to suit. I'd make some new pistons and use o-rings with only about 4-5% nip. Still needs new pistons as a 1/4" wide groove is far too much.

As the LP is 1.5" diameter, the HP will be quite a bit smaller, so even bras rings 1/8" thick would be a challenge to get on without distorting

Edited By duncan webster on 16/09/2020 20:11:05

Thread: Diamond Honing Wheel Setup on ML10
16/09/2020 13:38:24

You learn something new on this forum most days. Quietly confident that you had to go fast for grinding I went googling and found this

GrindRLap

it uses 5" wheels and runs at 350 rpm, so it looks like my assumption was wrong. I think if you overheat diamond by running dry it turns to graphite, which isn't very abrasive. I used cubic boron nitride on my drill sharpening engine for this very reason.

Edited By duncan webster on 16/09/2020 13:39:50

Thread: 2020 Stevenson Trophy Competition
15/09/2020 17:57:58

I probably never sent this to Neil, but here's a photo of the display on my tailstock DRO, (last entry) The battery has nothing to do with it!

img_3761 (small).jpg

Thread: The Workshop Progress Thread 2020
15/09/2020 12:22:27
Posted by duncan webster on 28/08/2020 21:48:14:

Finally plucked up courage to plug in the latest version of my milling machine table drive. The previous edition worked OK, but over the years had grown to have far too many separate boxes. Yes I know it looks like an explosion in a tripe works, but after sorting out some software issues where it didn't quite do what I expected it's a runner. I'll put the lid on tomorrow, then wait for the engraved front panel for the joystick box

Edited By duncan webster on 28/08/2020 21:48:40

And here it is with the front panel, well worth £15 for those who don't have CNC engraving. Now there's a challenge for the CNC experts, it would be good for making pcbs as well

with panel (small).jpg

15/09/2020 10:57:07

The problem of excessive amplitude mentioned by Marcus is what lead me to have an end of travel sensor and miss out the next pulse until it was back within bounds. Dick Stephen used a copper pate/magnet damper at the end of travel to take energy out, this didn't appeal to me at all. I seem to recall that this idea was used by Brille as well.

The Minimag chap used to sell a kit for impulsing a pendulum as described in John Haine's link. Quick look on his website doesn't reveal it..

I wish this issue hadn't raised its head as I've promised myself not to start anything else until I've actually finished some of the half complete jobs, but the temptation is getting too great. Get thee behind me Satan!!!!!!

15/09/2020 10:57:05

The problem of excessive amplitude mentioned by Marcus is what lead me to have an end of travel sensor and miss out the next pulse until it was back within bounds. Dick Stephen used a copper pate/magnet damper at the end of travel to take energy out, this didn't appeal to me at all. I seem to recall that this idea was used by Brille as well.

The Minimag chap used to sell a kit for impulsing a pendulum as described in John Haine's link. Quick look on his website doesn't reveal it..

I wish this issue hadn't raised its head as I've promised myself not to start anything else until I've actually finished some of the half complete jobs, but the temptation is getting too great. Get thee behind me Satan!!!!!!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
ChesterUK
Warco
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
EngineDIY
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest