By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for duncan webster

Here is a list of all the postings duncan webster has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: How badly do I need a surface plate?
21/07/2019 23:30:08

There is a reasonable size surface plate on homeworkshop at a very good price.

Thread: Unknown object
20/07/2019 15:17:07
Posted by Paul Barter on 20/07/2019 13:44:54:

Thank you all for taking the time to educate me yet again. Thank you especially Michael Gilliian, you have nailed it, now to find a silver steel rod.

regards to all Paul

Why silver steel, no strength required

Thread: Wiggler or edge finder?
20/07/2019 00:35:33

The type c edge finder uses a lot less daylight than the wiggler, in fact with a round column machine I found the wiggler nearly impossible to use as you had to shift the head to get back to using a cutter. I've got a machine with a knee now, but more often than not I just turn the cutter to an appropriate angle, shine a torch into the gap and watch from the other side as I bring the job into contact. Not as accurate, but a lot faster

Thread: Cruise meeting crash
19/07/2019 12:21:16

I've actually looked at the footage, he didn't look to be going that fast, certainly not racing, someone pulled out in front of him. I don't see the attraction of this kind of event, but not everyone shares my interests. What happened to live-and-let-live?

Thread: GT3 timing belt
18/07/2019 13:10:10

I've just spent hours trying to find a supplier and you find on in minutes! I obviously need to go on a Googling course.

I'll be on the phone to them directly,

thanks

18/07/2019 12:42:47

Anyone know where I can get GT3 5mm pitch timing belt pulleys in UK? They have better load capacity than HTD, so I can use 9mm wide belt.I'm looking for 30t and 60t, and a belt of course

I've tried Misumi in Germany, they won't deal with private individuals

Thread: Regulator improvements
17/07/2019 23:12:14

here's a photo of one I saw on a club stand at Doncaster 2109. Unfortunately I didn't note which club, it might be worth contacting the Sweet Pea owners group. I used to be a member but then it went over to facebook and I refuse to have anything to do with social media (possibly because my missus says I'm anti-social) . It appears to be fed off the turret. If it's made to the original you can't get the bent pipe out, You could drill it out but that would leave the bent bit loose in the boiler. If you manage let us know how

sweat pea ball valve (small).jpg

16/07/2019 17:47:38

If it's made to the official drawings, the regulator is fed from a bent pipe which is cantilevered from the backhead, with as said above, a row of holes in the top side. It is always possible that this pipe has drooped, either whilst silver soldering the backhead in place, or some other reason. Trouble is you can't see it unless it happens to be right under the safety valve holes. I made mine deliberately offset by a tad. If I were still in gainful employment I could have borrowed a boroscope to poke down one of these holes, with a light down the other, but I'm not so that isn't much help. You might get somewhere exploring by feel with a bit of bent wire, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

Pre-judging the situation, if this is the case all is not lost, you could mount both safety valves on a tee off one hole, and feed the regulator with a looped pipe from the other. Before I stopped the regulator leaking, I considered doing this with mine so I could use a ball valve .

Thread: Myford ML7 tailstock bore, and threading the barrel to fit a chuck
15/07/2019 23:00:29
Posted by peak4 on 14/07/2019 20:17:50:

As an alternative and maybe cheaper/simpler method, how about a metal block bolted to the slots on the cross slide, and machined to hold the bow.
Either the block could be made to hold a chuck, or could just have a simple V at centre height with an appropriate clamp, a bit like a normal V block?

Bill

How about a chuck bolted to an angle plate which sits on the saddle. The angle plate has a hole in it to allow the bow to poke through. To align it put a bit of bar with a centre in the chuck and move the cross slide till a centre in the tailstock goes in, then lock the cross slide. First time you have to fiddle about to get the height right, but once bolted up that is fixed. Sounds a lot easier than modifying a tailstock, and will accommodate bigger bows

Thread: air blast cooling for mill - solenoid control ?
13/07/2019 00:56:52

So give us a link to the 'cheap air blast unit', re-cutting chips is a serious cause of poor surface finish in my opinion

Thread: MEW 283 Electronic Leadscrew link
12/07/2019 17:23:05

Just in case Joe misses this thread, the encoder you need for the spindle has to have A, B & Z outputs, the Z is one pulse per rev. The one I've fitted is B E6B2-CWZ6C 1000P/R

Thread: broken myford changewheel
10/07/2019 18:59:37

Thanks to Simon's efforts the encoder drive pulley has now been bored and keywayed. Attached photo shows it in position, the encoder mounting bracket is bolted to the gear-change quadrant. The belt is made of paper, just to get the right length, a real one is on its way! The paper one but I don't think it would last very long.

encoder 1 (small).jpg

Thread: A puzzling design in Nurnberg museum
09/07/2019 14:30:29

There's one on a roundabout in Irlam

Edited By duncan webster on 09/07/2019 14:34:04

Thread: Curious
06/07/2019 10:38:30
Posted by old mart on 05/07/2019 15:46:37:

I remember quite a few years ago that certain cans of beer had a plastic widget in the can pressurised with nitrogen that caused the dissolved CO2 in the beer to form a fine froth when the can was opened.

Two examples are Boddingtons, and John Smiths extra smooth, still available. Somebody must like the stuff, they are not CAMRA members.

My niece once had a job with John Smiths trying to get pubs to sell that Extra Smooth stuff. She left after I told her that in my opinion, as an experienced beer drinker, it was specially brewed for people who didn't like beer

Thread: Stuart No. 2 centrifugal pump - machining help needed
04/07/2019 13:22:48

Another is to clamp a bar across the bed at the correct angle, arrange a follower on the cross slide to rub against it, then feed the cross slide whilst keeping the follower against the bar with the saddle hand-wheel

Thread: Classified For Sale
03/07/2019 15:30:49

Well I take my stuff off when it sells, just taken the 3D printer ad off, sold really quickly.

Edited By duncan webster on 03/07/2019 15:33:28

Thread: Thread Bare
02/07/2019 00:23:23

If you really want to make studding rather than making new bits with M6*1 thread, the consider making a diestock which you can clamp in the tool holder. Adjust height and in/out to get it central. Set the change wheels or gearbox for the right pitch and away you go. Doing it as shown in the video will almost certainly result in pitch error, which might not matter of course

Thread: Snail Problems
30/06/2019 21:05:58
Posted by bill ellis on 29/06/2019 20:36:26:

I go out after a rain shower with a salt shaker and give them slugs a sprinkling, makes a mess but is very satisfying, the birds then flock down and gobble them up, maybe the birds like seasoned food.

When I lived in surrey we had huge great orange/brown slugs, we also had a greyhound who was partial to them, not sure if they are good for dogs but he loved them.

I see nobody has suggested using a slug gun cheeky

If your dog is partial to eating slugs make sure he/she is dosed against getting lung worm. Most distressing and incurable according to our vet.

Thread: Annealing stainless steel
30/06/2019 20:49:42

Sounds like a job for a spark eroder. Not too difficult to make, see **LINK**

Thread: broken myford changewheel
30/06/2019 13:46:14

I've taken up Simon's very kind offer, but thanks for all the other suggestions

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
TRANSWAVE Converters
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
Meridienne Sept 2019
Sarik
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest