By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for duncan webster

Here is a list of all the postings duncan webster has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Coronavirus
08/04/2020 14:41:22

Post Office delivery workers in my town have now decided to go on strike over coronvirus, so I won't be getting my paper copy of ME. Any chance of opening up digital access to those who have paper subscriptions for the duration?

Thread: Inverter Tripping RCD
08/04/2020 13:17:39

When I first got a VFD it was the MCB which kept on tripping, not the RCD. I cured it by fitting a fuse instead, it coped with the inrush current

Thread: Thoughts for those falling ill
08/04/2020 00:39:57
Posted by Steviegtr on 08/04/2020 00:24:24:

Get well soon Boris, you are one of the best Prime ministers we have ever had.

Steve.

I thought you said don't get political

Thread: Steel tyre suppliers
07/04/2020 20:44:50

Search for plasma profilers in your area, then tell them no QA paperwork required when you ask for a quote

Thread: Will cash become obsolete ?
07/04/2020 15:42:36
Posted by V8Eng on 07/04/2020 15:15:41:
Posted by J Hancock on 07/04/2020 15:05:08:

Now you can begin to appreciate where poor old Geronimo was coming from when he said, "When you've consumed everything else, eat your money".

All our resources are free, air,water,land,etc, someone just decided that wasn't good enough.

And we believed it .

Then the powerful took the land and divided it up amongst themselves and their mates and made the rest into serfs to work the land for them!

Then the water supplies were taken and sold to other nations so they could sell it back to us at a profit.

Edited By V8Eng on 07/04/2020 15:17:39

Way back in the late 602/early 70s they brought in a law that if you extracted water from a river you had to pay, even if you put it straight back. Chap I knew in the Lake District had a water turbine, so along comes the man from the water board. After a bit of argument my man was persuaded he had to pay, so 'how much do you use in a day?' says the official. 'Oh about 50 gallons' said my man, and the official wrote it down and went away happy. Considering the inlet pipe was about 8" diameter, I suspect that was something of a underestimate.

07/04/2020 14:30:11

Printing money was invented about the time of Isaac Newton (read Newton and the Counterfeiters) as a way of financing the British army. I rather suspect that as this was pre 1707 it would be the English army, but I'm open to correction.

07/04/2020 14:04:26

That sounds pretty unlikely, who would carry the vinegar up to such an out of the way place, and as it rarely stops raining in the Pennines, surely it would be diluted to the point of useless in short order.

According to **LINK** the stone is actually the base for a twin shaft wayside cross

Thread: boiler leak
06/04/2020 11:39:26

We don't know what alloy the OP used, so I'd try with the lowest melting alloy (630/660) so as not to melt the joins that are already made causing more holes. For some reason I used to understand, you have to get it hotter to melt it second time, so with care it should be possible to fill in the (closed up) gaps without causing more. Apply the heat to the outside of the shell, not to the side with the solder on

Edited By duncan webster on 06/04/2020 11:40:17

06/04/2020 09:16:34

Use a ball pein hammer on the outside to close up the gap. The copper will be soft after the previous heating

03/04/2020 20:06:26

Martin's link is again from Canal and River Trust

This is from Bridgewater. **LINK**

It states clearly that the canal remains open, no mention of essential short distance or any such. The last boat I saw was 200m from and heading away from the service point, and there are no moorings between there and the next service point. I know because in happier times I've walked it dozens of times. There is plenty of space to tie up adjacent to the service point, which is also close to shops, no excuse for travelling.

03/04/2020 17:18:39

I don't have a problem with people living on narrow boats, even going to get their waste tanks pumped out, but the boats I have seen were heading away from any food shops or other facilities. Martin's link is to the Canal and River Trust, as far as I can see they have closed their waterways to boats moving around. The Bridgewater is not governed by the Canal and River Trust, and the guidance the Bridgewater has sent out specifically says that the canal is still open, with no limitations.

Edited By duncan webster on 03/04/2020 17:19:30

Edited By duncan webster on 03/04/2020 17:19:46

Thread: Possible protection from Covid
03/04/2020 15:29:49

Makes sense to me. Perhaps Matt Hancock could learn from it and buy up all stocks for NHS staff, but it probably hasn't got the right paperwork.

03/04/2020 15:02:30

The Bridgewater canal passes through my town, and there are still pleasure boats passing along it. My MP has been in touch with the owners of the canal (not Canal and River Trust, who have closed their waterways)), and says he is happy with this. The occupants of these boats have to get off now and again to top up with water, diesel, empty the waste tank, go to the shops, etc. and they could be carrying the virus around the country. If we don't take this seriously more people will die

Thread: 3D Printed Face Mask
03/04/2020 11:12:33
Posted by John Hinkley on 03/04/2020 09:22:41:

Without wishing to pour cold water on the laudable efforts described here, wouldn't it be quicker to make/print some simple clips to attach the transparent sheet to a readily -available baseball hat? Just a thought. Of course, you'd have to teach the younger generation to wear it the right way round!

John

I'll get me coat - and hat.

Or even a construction workers hard hat, there's loads of them about and you can easily wash them. Opened up pop bottles would do for the visor at a push.

Thread: Piston Rings 1.1/2" diameter.
31/03/2020 15:01:49

I seem to remember there were quite a few typos in the ME article. There bis some info in Model Engineers Handbook (Tubal Cain), I could scan it if you don't have a copy.

I made my rings to TC instructions, 0.045" square for a 1.5" bore loco, they seem to work a treat, although it hasn't done much running. Design it, make it, prove it works, get on with the next project.

Thread: Pressure
31/03/2020 12:46:23

surely this is good news, higher pressure means higher density, so more oxygen per lungfull, must be good for Covid sufferers wink 2

Thread: New design of mains plug?
30/03/2020 15:37:33

If it hasn't got a fuse in the plug it's illegal, more to the point it's potentially dangerous, If you bought it from a UK supplier shop him to trading standards, and if you haven't already cut the plug off I'd send it back for a refund. If they miss such a basic point what else is going on in there. It should conform to BS1363.

If you bought it direct rom China, let this be a learning experience!

Thread: CLASSIFIEDS & CORONAVIRUS
30/03/2020 13:27:02

My Hermes will collect from your doorstep for a small fee. When I get anything delivered now I put it in the shed for 3 days, wash hands immediately afterwards.

Thread: DC-DC converter
30/03/2020 11:24:57

According to the interweb typical AAA battery is 1000 mAh at 1.5 V, SR44 is 200 mAh at 1.55 V. Apart from being a bit numb to handle I would not expect any issues with fastening a AAA battery holder to the back of your caliper.

AAA are a lot cheaper and will last longer. If you're a real cheapskate you could fit a switch. Rechargeable are 1.2V might work? Neil's 1.22V  did

Edited By duncan webster on 30/03/2020 11:25:35

Thread: Insulating board that won't drop powder as it is touched
29/03/2020 17:50:31

Vermiculite board is the stuff CuP alloys sell to make brazing hearths, see **LINK**

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
cowells
Ausee.com.au
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest