By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Peter Tucker

Here is a list of all the postings Peter Tucker has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Vapour barrier and insulation for new workshop
15/11/2014 18:47:30

Hi Nick,

Breathable membrane goes between the framing and the external cladding, you may put vapour barrier behind the internal lining however the foil backing should do this.

Best of luck.

Peter.

Thread: BA, ME, Metric Coarse or Imperial : which taps and dies to buy ?
30/10/2014 17:12:17

Hi Brian,

Are you using any lubrication on your die? This can make a big difference.

Peter.

Thread: Speed reducers
19/09/2014 18:56:09

Hi Anthony,

My father in law fixed a worm drive between the motor and pulley on his wood cutting band saw for cutting steel.

Hope this helps.

Peter.

Thread: Tauco drill
09/09/2014 20:03:09

Hi Richard,

Jacobs chucks are usually fited on Jacobs tapers. They are removed with split wedges.

Hope this helps.

Peter.

Thread: Backyard Casting
08/09/2014 20:18:50

Hi Graham,

My understanding is that one should not use Borax as a flux with Aluminium, an equal mixture of NaCl + KCl should be used.

Peter.

Thread: Installing a new lathe
01/09/2014 20:37:26

Hi Graham,

What you are sugesting sounds fine.

Peter.

Thread: Cutting granite worktops
01/09/2014 19:19:30

Hi Ian,

A water jet cutter is the thing (Iv'e seen it on telly).

Peter.

Thread: Bantam
02/08/2014 20:20:09

Hi Jack,

I think the first thing you make on the lath would be something small and quick for your wife. The first thing I made on the lath was a small brass nut to replace one lost from my wife's prise clock (held the hands on), the brownie points from that lasted (on and off) for years.

Peter.

Edited By Peter Tucker on 02/08/2014 20:21:25

Thread: Moore & Wright disaster
02/08/2014 19:40:47

Hi Geoff,

I have some scraps (all my material is scrap) of galvanised hi-tensile steel tube (looks similar to but thinner wall than galv. water pipe) salvaged from when I was building plastic clad green houses. I realise this material may not be readily available to many people but is worth wile looking out for to use in some small demanding jobs.

My apologies to all for off topic posts.

Peter.

01/08/2014 20:14:11

Hi Geoff,

Don't even think of welding that spring. I had a similar break and fashioned a replacement from some hi-tensile steel pipe which, when hardened, proved to be perfectly adequate.

Good luck.

Peter.

Thread: What did you do today? (2014)
09/06/2014 21:01:58

Raymond Sanderson said

Just wish I had facility to melt down the Ali casting for further use .....

Hi Raymond,

You don't require too meany facilities to melt Ali. A wood fire will do.

Peter.

Thread: Round Aluminium
03/06/2014 20:20:24

Hi Bob,

With Aluminium that size and price I would cast them out of scrap.

Shouldn't they be cast iron?

Best of luck.

Peter.

Thread: Help needed for new project
06/05/2014 20:41:59

Hi Colin,

Where in the world are you?

Peter.

Thread: Lost wax casting
18/04/2014 19:46:52

Hi Alex,

You should be able to get all your answers on this forum.

Best of luck.

Peter.

Thread: Identify an unmarked bottle of acid
12/01/2014 19:23:17

Hi John,

Concentrated sulfuric acid is almost twice as dense as water so carefully picking up the bottle may tell you what it is. If on opening the bottle it appears to fume then it is probably concentrated hydrochloric or nitric acid. To test between the different acids I would pour a little into a beaker and add a small amount of slaked lime, if this does not dissolve then it's probably sulfuric, if it dose dissolve then try a fresh sample on clean copper, if the copper is attacked giving off a brown gas or a clear gas then the acid is nitric (brown + concentrated, clear = dilute) (these gases are poisonous). If the acid dissolves the lime but dose not attack the copper it is probably hydrochloric as the three acids mentioned were the main ones stored at school.

Play safe, and good luck.

Peter.

Edited By Peter Tucker on 12/01/2014 19:38:02

Thread: Stuart 'Victoria' : a beginners tale..
02/01/2014 17:25:38

Hi Allan,

I would say you have work hardened the steel with the first drill bit and aggravated it with the second, my suggestion would be to turn the work over and drill from the other side with a larger sharp bit using plenty of cutting fluid, a good strong feed, and not so many revs.

Good luck.

Peter.

Thread: Vickers 8" howitzer complete
30/11/2013 17:32:12

Looking at the photos above I am reminded of "the smoking gun", but must say this is the only one I've seen with its own packet of fags.

Peter.

Thread: Copper bit
21/11/2013 17:25:34

Hi Clive,

I have one of those soldering attachments, when the copper became too short I replaced it with a brass rod (nearest thing to right in the junk box). The brass has worked fine for me.

Peter.

Thread: Correcting off set deep hole
28/10/2013 18:04:24

Hi Nathan,

Try using a D bit, they are reputed to drill straight. I have never used one to correct an off center hole though.

Best of luck.

Peter.

Thread: I need to buy a Slitting Saw
20/10/2013 18:51:07

Hi Oompa Lumpa,

I make my own arbours, if you did the same you could buy something else.

Peter.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
JD Metals
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
MIDLNDS GARDEN RAIL Jan 2022
emcomachinetools
rapid Direct
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest