By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Douglas Johnston

Here is a list of all the postings Douglas Johnston has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: new computer
06/11/2019 20:42:47

Fortunately I was on the latest version of windows 10 before the hard drive showed signs of failing so my machine was returned exactly as it left me in terms of the operating system so no problems there. I have spent hours in the past sorting out computer problems myself ,so was delighted to have it all done for me this time. I might have tried replacing the hard drive myself but I had no experience of transferring the operating system ,so was best left to an expert.For the very reasonable cost it was well worth it.

Doug

06/11/2019 18:59:17

Yippee Yippee.. got my computer back this afternoon from my wee local repair shop and have just connected it back up. The guy fitted a 500Gb SSD, swapped the operating system and all my files, sorted a few other minor problems and all done in one day and the cost was very reasonable.

The result is very impressive with everything flying along at a good speed. You are absolutely right Emgee, it is good to support local small shops, the level of service is often far better than the big boys offer.

Doug

05/11/2019 19:05:59

Went into a small local PC repair shop this morning and the very helpful chap ran me through what he could do for me. I ended up leaving my machine with him to replace the hard drive with an SSD drive and swap the operating system and all other stuff onto the new drive. Provided I get a few more years out of it I will be happy.

Doug

04/11/2019 20:01:59

The hard drive is still working so it will be interesting to see how long it lasts. I am now considering replacing the drive rather than buying a new computer but wonder if my machine is too old (about 9 years ) to be able to fit a SSD rather than a HDD. The old motherboard might not be up to the task of running a SSD in which case I may revert to plan A and replace the computer.

Doug

03/11/2019 19:04:16

My windows 10 was obtained via the free conversion from an older version when Windows 10 was introduced, so where does the activation code come from? I assume there is software out there for cloning the operating system, I must have a look.

Doug

03/11/2019 18:56:11

I have backed up as much as I can so will just keep running the machine until it gives up. If it keeps going until Black Friday I may be able to pick up a bargain!

There is so much technical jargon with regard to the internals of computers, it is difficult to know what is best to get. I just want a machine that loads up fast and does the basics well, nothing fancy needed.

Doug

03/11/2019 18:10:09

Well, thanks for all that information, even the scary bits! I agree with Stuart, at 9 years old I think it is time for a replacement. I have noticed that a lot of machines now come with either a single SSD or a combination of SSD and large HDD. I am told that SSD drives are much faster, but wonder if that is true in the real world. My comment about the lack of tower desktops was only based on a tour of the local PC World store.

Is there an easy way of backing up the Windows 10 operating system since you don't get a hard copy DVD these days?

Doug

03/11/2019 15:29:11

For the past couple of weeks every time I switch my computer on it gives me the following message : "hard drive failure is imminent- please back up and replace drive"

It is a tower desktop about 9 years old and I am thinking about replacing the whole thing and have spent many hours online looking at various options for a replacement computer and I am now trying to make sense of it all..

I don't like tablets or laptops so will go with some form of desktop, but what type? There don't seem to be many of the old style tower units, apart from the gaming ones which are not for me, so the choice there is limited.

There are a lot of the newer all in one types which do look nice but I have no experience of them. Can anybody with experience of one of those all in one pc's give me their opinion on them.

If anybody has had a good or bad recent purchase of a pc can I have your thoughts?

Doug

Thread: Those little screws for carbide inserts...
25/10/2019 15:26:33
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 25/10/2019 10:55:33:
Posted by Douglas Johnston on 25/10/2019 10:14:38:

The Arc Euro screws are top quality Sumitomo ones, but look at the price of them. […]

For convenience: **LINK**

https://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Cutting-Tools/Lathe-Turning-Tools-Indexable/Sumitomo-Indexable-Turning-Tools/Sumitomo-Spare-Insert-Locking-Screws-and-Torx-Wrenches

MichaelG.

Thanks for that link Michael, my catalogue is clearly out of date, I see the price of the wrenches is now £9.64. I think I will need to lie down from the shock. When I bought a parting tool with 10 inserts from China recently it cost less than £5,including postage,and came complete with a very decent wrench as part of the package.

Doug

25/10/2019 10:14:38

The Arc Euro screws are top quality Sumitomo ones, but look at the price of them. Then look at the price of the wrenches ( £8.50 for one T8 wrench ) .I know I am a cheapskate but my goodness I would need to give my wallet an anaesthetic before I could make it part with that money.

Doug

22/10/2019 15:57:22

It's only the very small ones that might break, the ones that are M3 and above should never break. My biggest problem is losing the tiny ones, they have a tendency to hide when changing inserts.

Doug

22/10/2019 09:21:49

Just as a matter of interest these small torx screws can be found on ebay for a fraction of the price if bought elsewhere. I bought ten of them a while back for the price of one from "proper" supplier. The quality may not be quite as good but I have found them perfectly acceptable.

Doug

Thread: Slideways oil
20/10/2019 15:59:50

"Mostly I use old-fashioned 20-40 motor oil because it's cheap and readily available. I avoid modern types like 5W40 because they're designed for hot engines. These oils are thin at low temperatures (which aids winter starting), but thicken up to lubricate properly as the engine heats up. As Lathes don't heat up like engines, they never get the full benefit! Modern oils are also more likely to contain additives which may not be ideal for a lathe."

I am no expert but I thought that multigrade oils don't thicken at higher temperatures but the rate of thinning is reduced.

Doug

Edited By Douglas Johnston on 20/10/2019 16:00:40

Thread: Aldi Metal Bandsaw
18/10/2019 09:14:27

My saw also has a slight problem with the vertical alignment of the blade. I was also thinking of a shim under one edge of the base of the tilting fixture to correct this. I notice that the gap between the rollers of the blade guides is a little too wide which probably accounts for the slight misalignment. Unfortunately there is no adjustment possible there.

I assume that you are supposed to release the tension in the blade when the saw is not in use but the lever is quite stiff. I wonder if it does any real harm to keep the blade tensioned when not in use.

Doug

17/10/2019 11:44:31

Thank goodness I have read this thread. I have just bought the Aldi saw and have only cut some wood so far and was intending cutting some metal this afternoon. Like Pat I always use cutting oil when cutting metal on a bandsaw and would probably have ruined my rubber wheels if I had done so. This should be made very clear in the instruction booklet. Close shave there then, so thanks for pointing that out.

Doug

Thread: Surface Mount Switch
17/10/2019 11:29:34

Thanks Bill, I have just had another go and all is now clear. Computers and me have never been the best of friends.

Doug

17/10/2019 09:42:09
Posted by peak4 on 17/10/2019 01:49:44:

When you're looking for something generic, rather than specific. it's sometimes useful, when using Google, to go for Image, rather than the normal default text output of the results.

It's much more like thumbing through an old paper catalogue so look for something that fits the bill

e.g. NVR Start stop which quite quickly leads to a variety of sources. e.g. ebay

Bill

That's very interesting but I can't seem to replicate it. How do you get the option of text or image? All I can see when I try is the text version. What am I missing?

Doug

Thread: Changing internet providers
11/10/2019 20:54:35

Yes Emgee I am on fibre broadband, but to be honest they have raised my broadband speed twice and I hardly notice any difference. I will do my homework then ring Virgin and see what they can offer. Trouble is moving provider can be a hassle and they may just say:- we don't want you if you are not prepared to pay the full whack.

Doug

11/10/2019 18:02:31

I changed to Virgin a few years ago and the price was good for the first year but it has shot up every year since. The increases have always been much greater than inflation and I am now paying over £50 a month for internet and landline, with phone calls on top of that, and their not cheap either.

I have been thinking of changing provider but may just ring them up and threaten to move and see if they give me a better deal.

Doug

Thread: Myford ML10 spindle crank trouble
05/10/2019 15:35:38

I use a similar crank on my Speed 10 lathe and find I use it for almost all the threads I cut. Even at the low speeds obtained with the crank, carbide threading inserts work very well. It is a good idea to switch the lathe off at the mains when using the crank in case you accidentally turn the machine on with the crank still in place (yes I have done it but fortunately I use a three phase inverter with a ramped start speed and my quick reactions ! )

Doug

Edited By Douglas Johnston on 05/10/2019 15:36:58

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Allendale Electronics
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
cowells
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest