By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for John Hinkley

Here is a list of all the postings John Hinkley has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Lathe query.
21/10/2021 15:31:43

Welcome, Paul,

If the first couple of lathes shown on lathes.co.uk are anything to go by, you've got a nice bit of kit there. How fortunate, too, to have three-phase available in your workshop. I can't help with your firework display, but, with more information and a photo or two, there are a lot of forum members au fait with all things electrickery who will be able to sort you out, I'm sure.

John

Thread: warco 220
21/10/2021 12:54:11

Google comes up with an advertisement for one which states that it is 4ft tall, 42inches long and 18inches front to back. Sadly no info on weight, just that it is very heavy and to bring help for transportation. I'd hazard a guess at around 150kg all up.

John

Thread: REPTON RT1 LOST THREAD
20/10/2021 13:18:17

A search on YouTube turned this one up:

Repton radius turner set up and use

I haven't watched it myself as I have a home brew version. I have to say, the comments don't inspire confidence!

John

Thread: Cowell Hand Shaper
15/10/2021 16:37:39

Bob,

You might get an idea or two from the articles in ME nos. 2963, 2965, 2967. According to the Perfecto shaper site, they describe motorising a Perfecto shaper, similar in design and layout to the Cowells/Adept ranges. The first article (only) is referenced here - under CONTENTS (2) . The rest of the site is quite interesting - if you have a penchant for hand operated shapers with a smattering of powered ones too. I offered some photos of my Perfecto to the site owner, but I never heard back from him.

John

Thread: Pocketmags issues out before ME?
15/10/2021 12:59:05

I am a print and digital subscriber, but to MEW only and find that the digital version is consistently 6-7 days in advance of the print publishing date. To be fair, when I took out my subscription, one of the selling points was the fact that it gave you access to the magazine earlier than if bought at a newsagent. Pocketmags, in my experience often beat the access via this forum, but not by much.

John

Thread: Hornby on TV
13/10/2021 10:29:05

Grumpy has my sympathy ...........

John

Thread: Ball Turning Tool
11/10/2021 17:17:42

I'm not entirely sure if I understand the problem, but my initial thought was whether it would be possible to mount the ball turner on an angle plate or vertical slide and operate it that way at 90 deg to its intended orientation ? Can you post a link to the ball turner that you purchased?

John

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2021
10/10/2021 22:27:40

That's very reassuring, Bernard. Thanks.

John

10/10/2021 17:29:01

Not just today, but most of the weekend, I have been drawing up a design for a copy/taper-turning attachment for my lathe. Access to the rear of the lathe is restricted, so I wanted to be able to clamp it to the bed. See below:

3D CAD mock-up of the assembly

The topslide is replaced by the replacement slide, which carries a stylus at the business end and is held in contact with the pattern by a couple of springs (not shown in the mock-up). The supports are clamped to the lathe bed , the left hand one being fixed near the headstock and the right hand one is free to slide on a steady bar until the pattern is in place, when it's also clamped to the bed. The pattern is made from flat material and is held in place by two thumbscrews. A couple of pointed hex socket grub screws prevent rotation of the pattern. The stylus rides on the pattern along its centreline.

I intend making a mock-up from MDF (because I've got quite a bit), before committing it to metal and I want to play a bit more with my cnc router.

Right angle corners will present a problem, I realise, should I encounter them, but careful use of the clasp nuts may help there.

The replacement slide takes the existing QCTP and is sized to ensure the the cutting tool will be on the lathe centreline.

If nothing else, it's kept my occupied for a while and will continue so to do, I expect.

John

Edited By John Hinkley on 10/10/2021 17:29:37

Thread: Home CnC
07/10/2021 16:08:21

When I won a Shapeoko 3D router, I found myself in the position of not knowing anything about cnc except for the very basic principles. I was reasonably competent at producing "models" in Alibre Atom and used that experience to generate gcode for use with the Shapeoko. I downloaded Fusion 360 for free and although it meant learning a bit of Fusion 360, I became au fait with a lot of cnc terms - like adaptive clearing, 2D contours and suchlike. At least you could have a dabble for little or no outlay and "see" on screen how you would produce a particular part, using the simulate function in Fusion manufacture. The last thing I would do is go out and buy a machine to practice on - if that is what you are suggesting. Sounds a tad expensive to me. I made a short series of videos on my progress and lack of it on YouTube, starting here:

There are numerous other videos, most much more professionally made than mine. if you search for them, that should give you an insight into what you might be letting yourself in for. Jason Bellamy uses a cnc mill and gets excellent results, as you would expect, as well as giving good advice on here, of which you would be well advised to take heed.
Good luck,
John

Thread: SM205 mini mill backlash
01/10/2021 21:20:16

Andrew,

As I said in my reply, I'm not familiar with your mill, but now we know that the leadscrew has such a fine pitch, that would correspond to the perceived backlash. I was erroneously assuming the the screw was of the order of 2 or 3mm thread pitch.

I can only apologise for the divergence my comments on the forum software have brought. I hope you get some positive input to help you solve the problem, but in the meantime, your shimming seems to have provided a solution, albeit a temporary one.

John

Edited By John Hinkley on 01/10/2021 21:21:22

01/10/2021 15:48:10

Andrew,

There's got to be more to your problem than 0.6mm end float in the nut to account for a whole turn of the wheel to take up the backlash. I would be looking at least a combination of worn leadscrew/nut combo and/or leadscrew axial location. I'm unfamiliar with your particular mill, but that much backlash should have a glaringly obvious solution, somewhere, if only one knows where to look.

As for the forum software - there was a rumour some months ago that it was going to be changed - not necessarily better, but different - to bring it into alignment with other forums in the MyTimeMedia family. The addition of a like button inevitably means a dislike one, too. A whole new can of worms and ample opportunity to sling mud, of which there's been too much of late in my opinion .

Most of us on here are of a mature age, shall we say, and have got used to its foibles and take our photos in landscape mode or manipulate them in photo editing software before uploading to an album to circumvent the rotation issue.

Good luck in your backlash hunt.

John

Thread: M6 thread locking/stiff screw
30/09/2021 19:44:28

John,

I think you've answered your own question. I have used the cross-drill and nylon (strimmer cord) method a number of times with success. Just so long as the screw isn't subject to extreme torque, it should do the job satisfactorily.

John

Thread: (old) Proxxon BFW 36/E vs. (new) Proxxon BFW 40/E
30/09/2021 07:52:43

You can lead a horse to water ....................

Thread: Scam
28/09/2021 10:09:28

The use of "MODELENG" as a code is a common practice for businesses. By using different, discrete codes, depending on where they place their advertisements, it allows them to track the effectiveness of their advertising placement.

Ian, I assumed that Bob is based in the USA as he has used their spelling of modeling and not the usual English modelling. His profile suggests otherwise, though, without specifically stating a country of residence.

John

Thread: Turning (approximating) a Domed Surface
27/09/2021 17:37:50

That size of dome lends itself ideally to a radius turning attachment.

John

Thread: A straight line engine
21/09/2021 17:43:37

Of course! I remember, now. Having seen the complexity of the one in the video, I can understand your reticence. Something to ponder in the long dark winter evenings, perhaps?

John

21/09/2021 12:15:21

This has just flagged up on my feed from Clickspring. My word, what a fascinating watch and an exquisite result, as always.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yyrILbqgMQ

Well worth the 8 minutes or so watching. Mesmerising.

I seem to recall someone recently asking for help with a straight lining machine, but can't find it, now. Probably a bit overkill for what they were after and what a challenge to design and build. Anyone up for it?

John

Edited By John Hinkley on 21/09/2021 12:16:08

Thread: Absolute beginner, just bought a cheap lathe
20/09/2021 10:22:56

Chris,

I can't help with the Helicoil, which I venture to suggest is your best solution, but once you've decided on a course of action and if you need further assistance, I'm not too far away from you just east of Doncaster. If you require any help, drop me a PM with your contact details and I'm sure we can arrange something.

John

OOH!  Just posted and seen your photo!  Now that HAS been butchered, hasn't it?  I think you'll find that the topslide is cast iron - so difficult to weld.  You might get away with a brazed repair, but it won't be pretty.  If I was you, I'd look around for a replacement in better condition.

Offer still stands, though.

Edited By John Hinkley on 20/09/2021 10:27:36

Thread: Small bandsaw needed
19/09/2021 17:29:26

I have had a Warco CY90 for a number of years and I can honestly say that it's done everything I've asked of it. A few points to note, however. The supplied blade didn't last too long. I replaced it with a bi-metal one from Tuffsaws (Well, two actually for when the first one broke - I'm still waiting for that to happen!) Then I found that its vice is not very good for holding short pieces of material. There are a number of solutions to this common problem. I modified an old drilling machine vice held in the saw vice, like this:

Mounted on band saw

It copes with the bigger stuff as well and saves physical effort enormously. If I remember correctly, this was a chunk of 75mm diameter BMS:

The bandsaw earning its keep

The price has gone up considerably since I bought mine, but I still consider it a worthwhile investment.

John

Just remembered - I had to spend an hour or two, fettling the blade guide bearings etc to get it to cut square.

Edited By John Hinkley on 19/09/2021 17:32:51

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
walker midge
rapid Direct
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
emcomachinetools
cowells
BOLDON
JD Metals
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest