By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for John Hinkley

Here is a list of all the postings John Hinkley has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Colchester Student Mk2 lathe general questions
11/01/2021 09:55:37

I'm not well up on Colchester lathes but there is a free pdf copy of the Colchester Student Instruction and spare parts manual on Vintage Machinery.org - here. It also covers the Dominion lathe, apparently, though I haven't read it through.

John

Thread: VAT changes post Brexit
08/01/2021 20:44:13

This is starting to get out of hand! Just followed Jason's route to blue "see details" and it does, indeed, say VAT included. (The discount was a special offer received after I viewed the item a couple of times and put it in my watch list, while I dithered about the purchase. I ignored the offer for two days, then took the plunge.) This was the original advert:

original advert.jpg

I've taken up too much space on this thread already so will stop posting here now until it arrives and/or I'm charged VAT.

John

08/01/2021 19:51:52

Thanks, Michael. I managed to navigate there and found this:

vat invoice.jpg

Unless there is some sort of delay in the process, I read this as no VAT to pay. Or maybe postie will demand payment on delivery?

The plot thickens ........

John

08/01/2021 15:50:23

Have a look at the ebay receipt, John

... Mine clearly showed VAT

MichaelG.

[photo to follow, when I have redacted personal details]

Touché, Michael. Never seen one of those and I can't find anything like it for my transaction. Nearest thing is this:

bill.jpg

Where should I look for the ebay receipt, please?

John

Edited By John Hinkley on 08/01/2021 15:59:49

08/01/2021 09:28:43

I'm not sure whether this will add anything to the discussion or muddy the waters further, but here goes......

Yesterday morning, I ordered a 500W spindle motor with ER11 chuck, mounting and pot-controlled power unit from a seller in China via ebay. It cost £59.84, after the application of a "special" discount offer. The message from ebay, confirming my order,received just after I placed the order, stated that... "20% VAT will apply". Checked my PayPal account and £59.84 had duly been paid to the seller. The item has been dispatched today and it remains to be seen when or if the VAT will be collected and by whom. Delivery is expected in about a week to 10 days, so I'll update this posting when it arrives.

I don't know what I'm going to do with it when it does get here, just thought it might make a tool post mounted spindle to replace my home-brewed one, which is less than satisfactory.

John

Edited By John Hinkley on 08/01/2021 09:29:45

Edited By John Hinkley on 08/01/2021 09:30:40

Thread: Heat Resistant Clear Material Needed...
07/01/2021 10:03:31

James,

I'm a bit late for you maybe, but when we lived in rural France, we had a log burning fire with glass windows in the doors. One broke and I went to the local fire dealers. He directed me to a glazier/ glass supplier who cut up some high temperature glass to size for me, specifically for this application. I dare say similar is available in the UK and they should be able to cut it into circles and drill holes in it, too. That way you only pay for the finished article.

John

Thread: Hello from Yorkshire
07/01/2021 09:34:15

Welcome, Steve,

I'll second the above posts. M-Machine Metals are very good - fast delivery by courier in my experience and you are getting proper grade materials, not always the case if you order off eBay etc. Having said that, I've had satisfactory dealings with eBay traders called "steelcitygav" and "peninemetals".

I'm based near Doncaster, though born in Kent and thus a relative newcomer to Yorkshire.

John

Thread: Turnbuckle manufacture
07/01/2021 08:08:45

Danny,

In your position, my go to source would be Tracy Tools. They list 8BA left hand hss taps at GBP12 each. I can vouch for their quality of both goods and service from experience. I dread to think what the postage would be, though.

John

Thread: Making a cast of a blind hole
05/01/2021 17:05:02

You could use a pair of internal calipers as the hole tapers inwards towards the bottom. I mean ones like this:

caliper.jpg

Not the measuring sort.

Or ordinary silicone bath/kitchen sealant, after a light oiling as a release agent. How accurate does it need to be?

John

Thread: Re-grinding 2 MT Socket
04/01/2021 16:39:46

Just a quick thought. Are you absolutely certain the spindle is through hardened? If the morse taper is damaged, it can't be that hard, surely? I'd try the taper reamer if it were mine, but I'm not a qualified engineer. Those that are will soon put me right. If it doesn't work, you'll have to have it ground anyway.

John

Edited By John Hinkley on 04/01/2021 16:40:30

Thread: Simple 2D Cad system
04/01/2021 16:32:33

You've more than enough suggestions there, Brian. Everyone has their own particular favourite. I second SOD's suggestion and I personally use QCAD ( pro ) for 2D dxf and pdf files for workshop use, but Alibre Atom for 3D initial design and trial fit of parts prior to committing tool to metal.

You pays your money and takes your choice. Or, more correctly for QCAD et al, you don't pay .....and make your choice.

John

Edited By John Hinkley on 04/01/2021 16:33:08

Thread: Indexing device in issue 297
29/12/2020 19:31:29
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 29/12/2020 10:44:31:

Neat arrangement, John yes

... and the demonstration video illustrates it nicely, thanks.

MichaelG.

Thanks, Michael. Good to know someone reads the replies!

John

29/12/2020 09:18:44

If you are still interested ...........?

Just to clarify, the retaining washer is secured to the indexing plate only, by the three screws . This sub-assembly is located by the "key" on the retaining washer to the spindle, which has been machined with a matching notch. The whole is in turn then secured to the spindle by the central retaining screw.  In this manner the indexing plate can be either rotated independently of the 10° division plate, or the two locked together by the detent screws.

John

Edited By John Hinkley on 29/12/2020 09:23:14

Thread: A Better Vice (vise?)
28/12/2020 09:54:55

I know you said that a new vice was not an option and I assume you are located in the USA from your comments, The Little Machine Shop have a precision vice ( vise ) on offer at $74.95, presumably plus postage and that would be a far better vice for milling. I have one for use on my smaller machines and find it admirably suitable and accurate. I personally wouldn't consider the type of supplied vice for anything other than basic drilling and even then if it wasn't critical.

John

Edited By John Hinkley on 28/12/2020 09:55:25

Thread: Indexing device in issue 297
27/12/2020 11:04:38

Hello, George and welcome to the madhouse. I think you are referring to my article on the simple indexer, in which case it is covered in part two, issue 298. If you've missed it, or haven't received it yet, and can't wait, you can see an explanation of the whole thing in my video Workshop tooling Part 3 Simple indexer.

The part that covers your query starts at around 2.25 mins in.

Hope that helps a bit.

John

Thread: Gear Cutting
27/12/2020 09:50:09

Oh, well, if we're into chipping in ........

The way I've read this thread - rightly or wrongly - is that there's a little confusion on the OP's part regarding the exprsssions Diametral Pitch and Module. Here's my 4d-worth of chips ( without salt or vinegar ).

I find this chart useful:

Gear formulae

Note it specifically references spur gears, so whether it can be applied to the gears being sought here, I would caution against, their tooth form being anything but spur gear-like.

But I find it a useful aide memoire when cutting gears.

John

Edited to remove a little mud from the waters.

Edited By John Hinkley on 27/12/2020 09:52:37

Thread: Stent Tool Grinder
22/12/2020 14:41:59

Fair enough, Howard. I wasn't having a go at you or anyone else. Too late to edit my post, so please ignore it.

John

22/12/2020 14:22:53
Posted by Jeff Dayman on 21/12/2020 17:30:47:

Rotary broaching is well worth playing with a bit, and good fun. If you do one, be sure to look up Mike Cox's simplified method from MEW a few years ago. Good results with minimal work to make the necessary bits.

I had a look at Mike Cox's web site and had a go at making one - but I made the rotary part out of a redundant revolving centre mounted in a mild steel block machined to fit on my QCTP. It incorporated the necessary angles in its flank and rear face. Photos and brief construction description in my album entitled Rotary broaching tool

Incidentally, I was the author of the article referred to by Howard, suggesting using various sizes of rods to hold square stock in round collets. In my defence and of those of us with only two hands, it was said in the article that it wasn't supposed to be a long-term solution to the problem, but a stop-gap, one off, temporary arrangement.

John

Thread: Cheap Ultrasonic Cleaners
19/12/2020 10:01:46

It wasn't that long ago - July 2020, issue 295 - that a home-brew one was described in MEW, if that's your bag. I can't vouch for its efficiency, of course, and only skipped through the article. But it is an option to fill the days in the workshop.

John

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2020
16/12/2020 14:10:29

Jeff,

I do have a reasonably-sized garden and there's a concreted area behind the garage, but I'm still reluctant to follow the home casting route - I fear it would just take up too much time. That's a commodity in increasingly short supply. I'll see how the land lies when the design is much further on. Thanks for the ideas, though. Much appreciated.

John

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
EngineDIY
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest