By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Maurice Taylor

Here is a list of all the postings Maurice Taylor has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: renew driving licence
06/02/2020 19:18:34

With a B licence (car) you can drive pre 1960 lorries,buses,road locomotives.steam wagons etc,you can also drive forklifts and diggers on the road. So the weight can’t be a reason for dropping C1 licence,also gross train mass of Discoveries and Range Rovers are 5.5tonnes or more.

06/02/2020 18:15:58

Over 70 you only lose C1 and C1E you still get BE which allows you to drive vehicle upto 3.5 tonnes and pull any size trailer upto the maximum weight specified by the vehicle manufacturer.No need for medical

Thread: Old Computers - why do people bother
02/02/2020 17:23:08

Some people have to buy new kit ,ie computer ,machine tools,tv etc whether it’s needed or not.

02/02/2020 17:23:07

Some people have to buy new kit ,ie computer ,machine tools,tv etc whether it’s needed or not.

Thread: Honda Brake Cable
20/01/2020 17:05:43

Looking at pictures on Google images of other SL125’s the brake plate is in the correct position ,compared to BSA’s it does look wrong.

Thread: why does my makita go pop occasionally ?
16/01/2020 15:28:42

I wouldn’t worry about interference to radios etc ,compared to interference put out by plasma teles and switch mode power supplies ,it will be minimal.

Thread: Electric motor ratings
10/01/2020 20:48:00

Hi john fletcher1,I used a current clamp Pico model TA167 with a Picoscope model 4225.

The units on the bottom are milliseconds.The large part of the trace covers nearly 100mS ,about 4.5 cycles.The peak current after settling is 5.531A 3.9 A rms.Hope this helps .

Maurice

09/01/2020 19:50:58

myford.jpg

This is a scope trace of a Crompton motor on a Myford ML7 starting up.The motor is a 1/2 HP single phase,the current on the plate is 3.8 Amps.The scope shows a steady current of 3.9 Amps, after the initial peak start current of nearly 50 amps.There is no load apart from turning the chuck.

Thread: Stuck Chuck
08/01/2020 09:01:58

I would have sacrificed the adapter by now.Clamp chuck in a vice and turn adapter clockwise using 18 inch Stillsons,this will turn adapter out same way as it went in.

Maurice

07/01/2020 15:10:26

If you look at the photo of the back of Steve’s chuck the 3/4 part of adapter comes through the adapter plate,so the chuck and the adapter plate are acting like a giant lock nut on a 3/4 threaded bar .Hold adapter plate solid and turn chuck,it won’t come out with screwdriver ,the slot is there to hold adapter while fitting chuck.

07/01/2020 13:26:43

After reading the instructions ,it is obvious how the chuck is mounted. The thread in adapter plate is the same as thread in the chuck ,the threaded adapter is screwed into adapter plate leaving enough thread to spin the chuck on , like it spins onto lathe mandrel. To get it off put adapter plate in vice and knock chuck round as if it was stuck on lathe mandrel.

Thread: Opening a Port
01/01/2020 11:31:35

Hi,

Just wondered if after tuning the mechanical parts of your classic engines ,you still use the distributer or you swap to an ECU.

Thread: Replacement inverter advise
26/12/2019 22:13:46
Posted by Robert Atkinson 2 on 26/12/2019 21:03:15:

Sorry I made a typo. KW instead of kW is not a typo, it is a common error i expression of units. Not as bad as M instead of m and vice versa though
On the point of setting up the VFD to suit the motor, that is fine if can do it given the quality of the manuals. And if you do, yes the electronics will be lightly stressed but if you buy a decent VFD you don't have to de-rate it to 20%. The is also the point that you will only be using 20% of the dynamic range of the control system. For example if it uses 10 bit conversion there is a total of 1024 levels over the full range. Limiting it 20% will only use the 256 streps. the 8 least significant bits, down in the noise. Thiss reduces the performance. Using a drive with adequately rated components preserves the dynamic range. If you are using a bigger VFD to rive multiple mtors then you loos the benefit of overlod protection.

Robert G8RPI.

Edited By Robert Atkinson 2 on 26/12/2019 21:03:47

A mistake is a mistake ,we both hit the wrong keys.

Regarding the VFD ,surely the control circuits are more or less the same on low power inverters.The output power will be governed by the size of the insulated gate bipolar transistors and overload settings etc .I can’t see how it affects the pulse width modulation frequency or the microcontroller.

Maurice

26/12/2019 19:15:53
Posted by Robert Atkinson 2 on 26/12/2019 16:20:08:
Posted by Maurice Taylor on 26/12/2019 15:34:57:

Can somebody explain how an inverter can be too powerfull for a motor ? I would have thought that a 5KW inverter powering a1KW motor would be very under worked run cooler and less stressful on its components .Provided it is the same output voltage as motors input voltage ,it can’t over power the motor,as the motor will only take current and power according to its load.

If the 5kW (KW is KilogramWatt) drive is not set up properly for the 1kW motor it will not provide protection against overload and will supply enough power to burn out the motor.

Rant ON

It's not just safety compliance that some drives lack, it's interference (EMI/EMC) as well. Many drives and most of the cheap ones need external filters and chokes to meet EMI/EMC and the manulas say this. As a proper filter can cost as much, if not more than the drive they are often omitted. I dosn't stop it "working" but affects others.

Rant OFF

Robert G8RPI.

Hi, just noticed your spelling mistake “manulas”, in the same post as you criticised my use of “k”.

Remember we are not all perfect and all make mistakes . I think the content of the post is more important than criticising grammar.I also find a lot of posters are good at criticising, without giving any positive contribution to a post.

Having said all this ,I still enjoy reading posts and have learned from them.

Maurice

26/12/2019 16:43:59

Sincere apologies for daring to use the wrong “k”. Surely setting it up correctly is the equivalent of fitting the right fuse in a plug. If it is set up correctly to supply the maximum current for the motor, it will be far less stressed than an inverter of the same power as the motor.

26/12/2019 15:34:57

Can somebody explain how an inverter can be too powerfull for a motor ? I would have thought that a 5KW inverter powering a1KW motor would be very under worked run cooler and less stressful on its components .Provided it is the same output voltage as motors input voltage ,it can’t over power the motor,as the motor will only take current and power according to its load.

Thread: Advice on mobile phone etc
20/12/2019 22:55:17

Just got speed of 76Mb/s on my 6 years old ipad mini using Ookla.I don’t think new ipad would be any different.

51Mb/s on a 6 year old Moto G mobile phone.

Edited By Maurice Taylor on 20/12/2019 23:06:52

Thread: The Workshop Progress Thread 2019
18/12/2019 21:29:16

Hi Iain, I think you need diagonal struts at each end and front and back to stop it collapsing side ways .250Kg is a lot of weight to test it with.Remember if it starts to move you won’t be able to stop it ,please think about it,your machine could wrecked or even worse you could be injured. Sorry I don’t like criticising other people’s work, but from your photo I didn’t think it looked strong enough.

Thread: Digital Phase converter...
12/12/2019 18:53:55

If the only problem with a rotary converter is noise ,why not put it in a waterproof container outside of workshop ?

Just seems easier and far cheaper to me, I’m probably wrong though.

Thread: Plumbing question
11/12/2019 16:25:35

In the pressured tank example, the pressure will be the same in all areas of the tank.The small cylinder will have the same pressure acting on it as the large one.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
Warco
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest