By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for AJS

Here is a list of all the postings AJS has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Why is my silver steel undersize
18/01/2020 18:33:25

Have you measured the finished size of your reamed hole, or are you assuming it's 5.00mm?

Thread: Watch servicing
05/01/2020 13:09:15

You may not know that there is an ongoing court case between Swiss watch manufactures who are restricting the supply of spare watch parts and Cousins Material House who supply watch parts to repairers in this and other countries.

This is making it much more difficult, if not impossible for the lone repairer, to carry on business and hence the "big boys" can increase their prices.

Thread: Bulking problem?
09/08/2019 23:33:05

How about trying a number of ratchet straps.

Thread: Learning CAD with Alibre Atom3D
05/12/2018 22:36:23

Thank you for your prompt replies gents. Problem solved, as Jason suggested by setting the "sketches toggle"

Now on to the next part with renewed vigour!

Alan

05/12/2018 18:24:05

I am just starting the base component of the Mini Gauge.When clicking on the blue part icon the work space opens but the three planes do not appear.

The XY plane was selected using the design explorer.

2D sketch was selected and the circle drawn and sized.

2D sketch was deactivated and the circle just drawn disappeared.

It would appear that maybe a global setting is incorrect.

Can you help please?

Thanks

Alan

Thread: Dismantling a Verdict dti
20/09/2018 23:40:44

Doubleboost has recently had a series of videos on his website of different dti's being dismantled and serviced.

Thread: ASEA Motor Wiring
29/06/2018 15:11:51

The following link is primarily for refrigerators, but does indicate the the circle symbol is an overload protector.

http://www.tpub.com/utilities/158.htm

Careful inspection of diagram 14-43 indicates motor terminals as P R and S.

The start relay coil appears to be in parallel with the motor starting winding, rather than in series as suggested earlier.

Edited By AJS on 29/06/2018 15:12:44

Thread: Wonky tapped threads
26/02/2018 22:20:31

Just a thought, are you sure the thread on the screw being tried in the hole is true?

Thread: Alternative source of industrial drawer cabinets?
25/11/2017 22:19:02

Have a look on the IKEA site and search for HELMER. 6 drawer self assembly painted steel cabinet. I've got one and it's handy for small tools. £30.

Alan.

Thread: My first foray into clock repair
22/11/2017 15:09:32

Russell mentioned above that the pallets need oiling. However, the wheel and pinion teeth are intended to run without oil.

When you get the movement to run you will find, in all probability, that the strike will not be correct. that is, the number of strikes will not agree with the hour hand. This is because this movement has a locking plate striking system. Correction is easily carried out by moving the minute hand until the striking has taken place and then operating the strike manually, generally by depressing a lever on the side, until the correct hour has stuck. Hope this helps.

Alan

Thread: Contrate wheel
04/08/2017 12:11:20

Cheryl,

Could try J Malcolm Wild for the replacement contrate wheel.

A search will find his website.

Alan

Thread: What would you ban and why? (Definitely tearoom!)
22/08/2016 07:42:12

Random amounts of extra time in football matches. Stopping the clock during breaks in play would be fairer.

I hasten to add that I am not a football follower.

Thread: Three cornered Philips type screwdriver
21/12/2015 23:16:04

Brian,

I have made one which is perfectly satisfactory for the odd screw which needs to be shifted.

Nothing more than a piece of silver steel filed with a triangular taper at the end to fit the recess in the screw. If it is the sort with a security pin in the centre then drill a small clearance hole in the end.

Harden and temper if you need to use it several times.

Alan

Thread: Drawing Projections
11/05/2015 14:50:28

One of the reasons that CM are more popular than MM is because in school maths lessons CM are almost always used in examples and questions about measuring. Check out any primary or junior maths book for examples.

CM are also more understandable for youngsters in that they can easily see that 3cm is longer than 2cm, whereas if mm were used the difference is less obvious when drawn.

Alan

Thread: Sandown photos and thoughts on the show
16/12/2014 11:14:49

Hi Neil,

I was there on Friday and just about heard the announcement about your meeting. The instructions were to take the lift to the second floor at 2.30pm. I did just this, but no one was able to tell me if the meeting had taken place or was even going to take place.

Thinking back, the announcement may have said 12.30, because it did seem sometime ahead of when the meeting should have taken place.

Alan

Thread: Screwdriver Magnetiser/Demagnetiser
01/11/2014 22:41:20

My demagnetiser is the stator from a domestic washing machine pump. The impeller had failed and the pump was replaced.

In use the coil is energised by the mains supply with the item to be demagnetised held in the magnetic field; the item is then slowly withdrawn from the field before the electricity supply is switched off.

Of course precautions must be taken to prevent contact with the live coil windings whilst carrying out this operation. Enclosing the stator in a nonconductive box with a hole to allow the item to be operated on would seem sensible.

Alan

Thread: Did you make one of these at school or as an apprentice?
01/11/2014 21:08:09

I have just completed a version of this engine which was published in Engineering in Miniature Nov 2011 - Feb 2012. It was my first and only hot air engine and I'm pleased to report that it ran at the first firing with a spirit lamp.

Alan

Thread: Tool Shapening
23/05/2014 22:35:16

I wonder, do those who do some of the grinding on the side of the wheel also dress it on the side?

Alan

Thread: Identifying Steel types.
12/12/2013 12:37:26

Parker Steel Catalogue gives the following colour identifier markings for steel.

EN3B/EN32 080A15 Blue

EN1A F/C 230M07 Green

EN1A Leaded 230M07Pb Magenta

EN8DM 212A42 Orange

EN8 080M40 Yellow

EN16T 605M36T White

EN24T 817M40T Brown

Thread: The Best of Model Engineer Volume 3 Now available
12/09/2013 14:08:38

Haven't seen a copy in our local W H Smith yet!

Alan

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest