By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Jeff Dayman

Here is a list of all the postings Jeff Dayman has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What is it with the fit of old slotted screws?!
07/04/2020 02:47:53

I have found dealing with slot head (or any head) screws is one job where my homemade EDM machine excels.

I EDM a square socket or hex socket into any old screw and then drive it in or out properly with a Robertson screwdriver or a hex key!

It is not fast though to use this method. If pressed for time I use the old oxy-acetylene gas axe screwdriver (bit hard on clocks and watches though) smiley

Edited By Jeff Dayman on 07/04/2020 02:48:11

Thread: Workflow
05/04/2020 19:24:33

Well however you did it, it turned out well! Don't change too much about how you did things.

Thread: Overwhelmed!
05/04/2020 19:22:28

Homemade centre punches, boring bars, spring centre tap followers, tailstock die holders, and internal grooving tools all are simple, very handy for many years use, and can be made of small bits of scrap mild steel that you or friends nearby may have lying around. Many of these tools can be made from old bolts or threaded rod, although these materials are not as easy to machine as mild steel or free cutting mild steel. Just food for thought.

Thread: How do I drill this hole
03/04/2020 19:59:31

I'm going to suggest the lathe for this job. If you made a jig with a base plate and two upright V blocks you could hold the part stable and at correct vertical centres by the end bosses on the axle. The plate or V blocks would be shimmed to needed height while sitting bolted down to the carriage's flat top. Couple of U bolts or even a couple of hose clamps (jubilee style screw / gear ones) would secure the part to the V blocks. Long series extension drill in the tailstock for the drilling, frequent retract / clean the drill.

This sort of plate and V block jig would work in the mill of course also, but I think it might be more stable in the lathe on the good foundation of the carriage or cross slide.

Just my $0.02 worth. Good luck!

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2020
01/04/2020 07:25:32

That'll save your back Paul! Nice job.

Mick, love the race cars! The kids will have fun with those.

John, I tried camera/phone welding a while ago but there just wasn't enough heat from the flash..................oh it was we i lding! smiley

Thread: Coronavirus
01/04/2020 07:18:52
Posted by Danny M2Z on 01/04/2020 02:27:37:

Coronavirus Pandemic, day 24.

If anyone is still out there, I’m alive but struggling. Food is running low. Down to only 459 days worth. My hands are super sanitized and my bottom is super clean. Down to 2399 rounds of ammo (dropped 1 round down the heat vent while doing daily inventory). Power still on, but for how long? Missing human interaction but I have my dogs.. for now.. (I'm soaking their food in BBQ sauce in an attempt to marinate them from the inside in case I have to eat them) . I fear dark days ahead. News is all bad. Neighbors have attempted to leap from windows to their death, (or near death... most have single story homes so they are badly bruised). Blew through most Netflix series so may have to rewatch some again..Basic Survival is a definite challenge. I vow to persevere to the end, I am a survivor! Please, if there is life out there, communicate with me to help preserve my sanity..

* Danny M *

Well it sounds rough Danny but at least your boat didn't sink with loss of all hands in the 8" deep wading pool. You've still got a round of ammo for each roll of TP in the stash. It's not all bad. Step away from that first floor kitchen window. Signed, the other survivor. smiley

Thread: Good reading from DYSON.
30/03/2020 16:58:38
Posted by old mart on 30/03/2020 16:33:40:

I saw a feature on TV the other week showing a ventilator which was powered by compressed air, an old design which was controlled by a simple circuit board which was about to be mass produced by Sony. Can anyone remember the full details?

Many "transport" ventilators as used by ambulance and military medevac crews are powered from the pressure of the oxygen supply tank. Airon brand are one such type. Simple pneumatic time delay accumulator provides the inhale / exhale control pulses for the valving. Can also be operated on hospital medical air circuit.

I don't think this type is suitable for long tern ventilation though, the hospital type ventilators have finer sensing and controls for long term care to prevent lung injury.

30/03/2020 16:08:21

The sad part of all this news media hype from people and firms wanting attention and free advertising is that new designs of ventilators etc are not needed at all.

Plenty of designs exist for proven ventilators that comply with respirology best practices and are made to ISO 13485 standards.

They just need to be manufactured faster by multiple firms. This means sharing specs and IP for these ventilators with other firms which has been a stumbling block.

Part of the problem to make them faster is that many ventilators have complex and unnecessary fancy external cosmetic housings and stands. Many hours of production time could be eliminated per ventilator if the housings were minimalist painted fabbed steel construction. All internal functional / critical parts could remain exactly the same, just the non critical parts could be optimized for highest production speed.

Dyson's "digital motor" is total advertising hype. Digital control, sure. Digital motor, total BS.

Thread: Inverter failure guidance
28/03/2020 17:14:42

Spraying WD40 in any electrical device will ruin it sooner or later, in my experience.

Electrical contact cleaner spray will not damage anything and will remove dirt and oily muck as well as remove some light oxidation. It will not remove heavy caked on white / blue / green oxidation muck.

Just trying to save someone an expensive lesson.

Thread: Any ideas please
25/03/2020 20:51:25

I like the ultrasonic deterrents, have them in my shed and garage, don't see any rodents or any signs of rodent activity, they have worked for years now.

Sheet rubber - if you can find a burst used tire tube, that will likely be cheapest. A tire shop or mechanic will likely give you a burst one free if he has one (they go in the bin otherwise)  You can also get sheet neoprene (oil resistant) from any seal or gasket supplier ie industrial supply firms, or maybe bearing suppliers.

Edited By Jeff Dayman on 25/03/2020 20:52:39

Thread: Vickers Bl 8 inch Howitzer cannon of 1917
25/03/2020 20:46:08

Great work on the gears Mal! well done. It will be a bit of rooting around in that big bar end to find your gearbox but steady as she goes and you will locate it. smiley

Thread: View Models
24/03/2020 20:17:28

viewmodels. co .uk site seems to operate / be active where I am Bill, just FYI

Thread: Crikey!! So that's why we need Engineers
23/03/2020 14:18:20

Howard, your question is not exactly a candidate for "positive thought of the day".

I have worked on several medical product designs that have reached qty production and made a difference to peoples' health. There is great satisfaction in seeing a machine you helped design making a positive difference in someone's life. Much more valuable in my opinion than recognition by media hacks , showmen, politicians, and fakirs.

Thread: Ron's Jowitt Popett Valve Engine
23/03/2020 14:11:11

Your engine parts are looking great Ron. Can't wait to see it as a runner!

Thread: Proxon KS230 splitter blade jams
20/03/2020 18:19:15

Maybe grinding a chamfered lead-in edge on both front edges of the splitting wedge / cotter / riving knife might keep stock from getting hung up on it.

The other thing worth a look at is to check the table flatness. I used a cheap table saw with a plastic top once and the centre at the blade was in a depression in the table. Table was nowhere near flat and not very rigid. If the stock was held down to the table it bound the saw after the cut as the cut was closing up. If your table has a depression maybe you could hold the stock at the outer edges, or wedge the centre level from underneath to keep the cut from closing up. Just food for thought.

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2020
20/03/2020 02:39:26

Looks like excellent work to me Norman! well done.

Thread: stephensons motion problem
18/03/2020 20:18:46

What happens at the reverse links when you move the reverse lever all the way back and all the way forward? If these movements don't move the links a similar amount up/down for forward and reverse, maybe the reverse lever or lifting arms have slipped in rotation on their pivots.

Thread: SRBF/ SRBP/ PTFE/ Wood for Boiler Mountings?
18/03/2020 08:47:36

I think if you keep the area of metal to metal contact at a minimum you could make all metal boiler mounts as on the original. To minimise conduction the contact surfaces could be relieved with ribs or pockets. If any of the brackets are exposed to flame or burning cinders / ash near fire door I would say metal is a must in these areas.

If you feel you must use something non metallic and there is no exposure to flame, maybe printed circuit board material with the copper removed , laminated with epoxy to thickness required, would be a candidate. It is very strong, an excellent heat insulator, commonly available, and relatively cheap. Tempered glass blocks might also work. Both these materials would be overkill in my opinion though, and not as durable long term against vibration and shock from road running as metal would be.

Thread: Coronavirus
17/03/2020 19:36:46

Well at least if you are in the Crowbar Lodge Ray you won;t have to contend with food shortages at the grocery stores - and HM Prisons probably have 28 years of TP stored all over the country in nuke proof bunkers! smiley

Thread: LBSC's Designs
17/03/2020 18:44:47

Frances IoM - I'm sure I am not the only one who has no idea what your post refers to. I do understand that Mr Reeves was asking about a quote about Baker valvegear by LBSC but what is all the text about Boojum, snarks, uncles etc?

(I was raised in the 1960's - 1970's - maybe I am too young to understand the refs)

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
cowells
Ausee.com.au
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest