By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Jeff Dayman

Here is a list of all the postings Jeff Dayman has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: 1/16 scale model tramcars
12/01/2022 00:15:30

Outstanding work John! well done!

Thread: Gordon Smith Safety Valves
10/01/2022 18:26:09

Hi Charles, Mr Smith's safety valve designs were published in Engineering in Miniature magazine in Feb, Mar and Apr 2001. If you can't find back copies of these issues please PM me.

Thread: Just Finished, I think!
10/01/2022 16:35:54

Great job David ! brilliant how you got it all to work in the horizontal position......oh wait 8^)

Thread: What tool do I need? I need to measure the radius of a tiny fillet on a 90 edge.
04/01/2022 18:26:29

+1 on NO

My added bit - Hope this thread goes away and people stop wasting their time with this troll OP.

Thread: Do you "still" enjoy driving?
29/12/2021 20:20:12

Where I am in the province of Ontario, Canada, there are three types of driving I do, and how I feel about each, below.

1. country drive, back roads - still very enjoyable, like to do that as often as practical

2. town drive, in city of 150,000 people - not enjoyable, a chore, but necessary to get things we need. Inconsiderate drivers and traffic-signal-jumpers / late left turners are a constant irritant. Public transit stopping / starting on many major routes slows them to 15-20 km/h avg speed.

3. major highway (400 series) - terrifying, frankly, due to high traffic density and sudden panic stops from 100-110 km/h where these roads pass through major cities like Toronto or Ottawa. Stunt driving is prevalent - I have seen vehicles that were doing 160+ km/hr in posted 100 km/h limit areas. Commercial trucks often do 80 km/h in all 3 lanes, blocking traffic and causing a major speed differential hazard between fast traffic and them. Thank God I don't have to commute to Toronto for work, as I used to. These major roads have caused major stress for me over the years, particularly as I saw many horrific accidents happen, some involving fatal injuries. Terrifying as I said. (Even more so in bad weather in winter. Picture 3 or 4 lanes of bumper to bumper traffic at 80 km/h and the 4 lead cars in all lanes spin out and start doing 360's. Then some crash into guardrails, some into ditches, some into other cars. I feel physically sick just thinking about the crashes I have seen.)

(number 3 would likely read completely differently for people living in provinces of Canada with less population / less busy major highways. In areas of Saskatchewan for example you can often drive a major highway for an hour or more and never see another vehicle. Staying awake on such drives with virtually no traffic can be difficult at night.)

Thread: Grinding/making narrow grooving tools in HSS
24/12/2021 23:33:55

groove-and-shoulder-tool-1.jpgHi Rob, I made the grooving tool shown in the pic from the shank of a broken tap. No idea who broke the tap, of course,... anyway the holder is just a scrap of mild steel bar cross-drilled to fit the shank of the tap, and the end drilled and tapped for a setscrew to secure it. Cheap as chips and been using it for years. By the way, make the holder before you grind the shank, that way you can use the holder as a handle for the grinding. groove-and-shoulder-tool-2.jpg

Thread: The Bistella motorcycle
24/12/2021 18:04:07

Maybe the "bistella" or "two star" name represents reliability on a 0-100 stars scale - cause this thing is not going to be reliable. Pretty, but not reliable.(and probably a guzzler too) Just my opinion.

Thread: A ROLLING ROAD ?
17/12/2021 20:46:33

Noel- Model Engineers Laser do rolling roads for various gauges. A link to their 2 1/2" gauge one below - maybe you could scale it up for 5" gauge? just a thought. I have built MEL's O gauge rolling road kit and it was excellent.

http://www.modelengineerslaser.co.uk/kitpartspage.aspx?kit=156&locotype=13

Thread: Horizontal Milling
08/12/2021 12:40:20

Mr Pete in the USA has a few horizontal milling videos on his Clausing mill. Link to one below. There are a few others in the USA doing videos on using old machines but unlike them, Mr Pete actually knows what he's doing - he used to be a machine shop teacher.

https://youtu.be/G8rVFmQF7Ck

Thread: a gluing quandry
06/12/2021 21:51:59

An assembly jig with V blocks for the pins, and mating clamps, plus datum plates and mating clams, would be a good solid way to go bout it, but that is a lot of work for a one-off engine. If making a batch of similar valvegear for other modelers, the jig would be worthwhile. Just food for thought.

Designing and making such jigs for difficult or near impossible assys was a big part of my day job in industry in the early years of my working life. There are a few tricks, one of them being that you can have "leaves" on the jig that slide in and out in gibs (or just with slots on shoulder screws if high precision isn't required) to engage and disengage the assy to get parts in / aligned and then back out again. Start with a smooth flat datum surface on a base plate, and build up from there. Such a plate and attached parts can always be turned vertical or angled after the fact if need be.

Thread: Lantern Pinions
24/11/2021 14:54:25

Looks great David! Nicely done

Thread: 1" Minnie Repair
23/11/2021 12:27:44

Hi Paul, I have scans of the Minnie plan pages showing the blast pipe, saddle, etc if you want them. Give me a PM with your email address and I'll send them along. Cheers

Thread: How to read a micrometer
21/11/2021 12:35:58

Steinmeyer are still in business and there is a UK rep - link below

They may be able to help with a manual or operating instructions.

https://www.steinmeyer.com/en/steinmeyer/contact/international-sales-representatives/?tx_nwaddresses_addresses%5Bcountry%5D=74&cHash=a11af10c43c9ca4c2ecb0a8a1aa3578f

Thread: Righthand Tool known as a Left?
17/11/2021 12:51:57

If you buy a few blanks of HSS and a budget bench grinder, you can make any single point cutter you need, and maybe for less money than fancy sets. You wouldn't be wasting your time figuring out tool descriptions either. 4 or 5 blanks will last ages.

Thread: What O-ring is this?
12/11/2021 12:31:16

I'd ask a Sievert dealer first about a replacement, but if they don't have them, o-ring suppliers will. If it is actually intended as a square section o-ring, they are available, see link below.

https://www.theoringstore.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=367_2203

However it may have started out as a normal round section ring and has just compression set to the square groove shape, In that case, I suggest going to an o-ring firm or industrial supply, and test fit a few to get a good fit. If that isn't possible you can buy an assortment of o-rings quite cheap from Ama Zone or E you know and find one. If you get one rated for hydrocarbon / oil service it will be OK with gas. Depending on how hot it gets in the torch, you may want a high heat one. Good luck.

Thread: Modded 1" Minnie Progress
10/11/2021 18:14:25

Looks excellent Richard, well done!

Thread: repairing old Tomy Trackmaster Thomas trains
09/11/2021 13:30:11

Hi Mike, no idea exactly what diameter and no. of teeth we are talking about here, but an idea - make or have made brass or mild steel gears, split them into halves, clean the shaft, flux, and solder / sweat the gear together in place on the shaft. Use just the tiniest pieces of solder, just enough to wick some in, so it doesn't run into the teeth. If the gear to shaft bond is not good a drop of 609 loctite cylindrical retaining compound would likely bond it.

Depending on quantity scope of the project and your budget, it is very possible to have an injection mould insert set made to produce new gears in acetal resin, with 3 pin gates for hottest knit/weld lines in the plastic and thus minimal chance of splitting again.

Thread: Lantern Pinions
06/11/2021 17:08:05

any chance given the style of lantern pinion you are trying to make to do all the drilling on two plates soldered together as a stack, then separate them and cut them to final round shape?

I've used this method many times when trying to make plates or discs with identical hole locations. I usually drill an extra smaller dia hole to act as a reference for aligning the finished assy and get the holes assy'd in the same order they were drilled.

For the drilling itself, I'm assuming you used a centredrill first, and are using good quality twist drills?

Thread: turcite slide valve
05/11/2021 19:48:47

Any way you could trap the turcite plate in a milled recess at the steam chest to cylinder block joint? If you could, the high temp epoxy would just need to seal the turcite to the cylinder face rather than securing it and sealing it. Just a thought.

I know epoxy and JB Weld etc are supposedly rated to 500 deg F / 260 deg C but in my experience they do not perform well at high temps especially if steam is present.

Thread: 3 Way Vice?
04/11/2021 20:38:57

Jon Halland- for the sort of jobs that Axminster offering could do, I usually just mount a second smaller mill vise in my main mill vise , at the required angle. Very stable, very good grip on the work.

FYI and just my opinion - I tossed my drill press style vises in the rubbish years ago. Even the best of them bent and let go at the worst possible moments, jaws wouldn't hold square, handle hurt my hands when tightening, and were hard to secure to the table without distortion. A mill vise or two are better in every way. Get the smaller one ground all over and it will be much easier to position in the other mill vise for compound ops.

for the second vises I like the Palmgren style ones, myself. Link below.

https://www.palmgren.com/product/167/Traditional-Drill-Press-Vises

(FYI these used to cost less than half of the noted price.)

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
MIDLNDS GARDEN RAIL Jan 2022
cowells
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
JD Metals
rapid Direct
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest