By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Jeff Dayman

Here is a list of all the postings Jeff Dayman has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: 3/16 Cast Iron Rod
29/09/2020 16:12:10

Depending on how many rods are needed, it might be worth talking to a foundry that makes large iron castings. When they vent large sand castings with vent wires to allow trapped air steam and gases to escape, the iron often fills the vent cavities in the sand to make "wires" of cast iron projecting off the castings. Usually not such large dia as 3/16 but if you ask they may be able to oblige and make you some "wires".

Not sure how machinable such wire would be, could be chilled, could have a lot of sand inclusions picked up from the vent openings in the sand. Just food for thought.

Some time ago I saw a TV program showing such a foundry in I think Cornwall UK making Royal Mail post boxes and parts for Aga cookers among other things. This may help track a foundry down, I hope.

Thread: Fixing my 3D printer's Missed Steps problem due to broken bearing supports
27/09/2020 18:11:34

Great looking repair! hope it sorts out the Y axis issue for you.

Thread: Bent woodworking lathe spindle
25/09/2020 14:06:51

Sorry Rob, I didn't see this post until I replied on your other one. I am in Canada so I can't help you with the shaft, but I am sure someone near you will respond.

Edited By Jeff Dayman on 25/09/2020 14:08:06

25/09/2020 14:06:00

What country and city are you in Rob? Would be good to know for those local to you to help.

Edited By Neil Wyatt on 25/09/2020 14:20:20

Thread: Turbine blades
24/09/2020 18:18:10

Mike, if you were able to mil slots around the disc, could you mill the blades themselves from the disc, and then either form them curved with a pair of dies fitted to a mole wrench / vise grip pliers or leave them straight as cut? This construction would eliminate blade to disc joints and any issues with dissimilar materials. Just food for thought.

If you make he blades separate and glue them in, even with pins, I would suggest a sturdy blast shield to stand behind during testing. Unintended high velocity spontaneous disassembly is likely. Compressed air turbines can rotate at spectacularly high rpm. I worked with dental drill air turbines in industry for a while. I know of which I speak.

Thread: Chatter
23/09/2020 23:28:13

The work is a long way out from the headstock, and the boring bar has a long stickout as well. Suggest clamping the work on carriage and putting the shortest boring head possible in the chuck, to clean it up. Or do the boring in a friend's bigger lathe.

Thread: Home workshop accuracy & tolerance?
22/09/2020 23:37:39

The chair to bench interface module (the hobbyist) is by far the biggest factor in what accuracy can be achieved. Even with very basic hand tools high accuracy can be achieved. It just takes lots and lots of well spent time practising.

If you can work repeatably to a thou you are doing well and this level of accuracy will likely do just fine for many of those types of projects model engineering hobbyists do.

One mistake people seem to make with steam projects is to make clearances too tight. Generally steam engines work better with a little extra clearance. As Stewart Hart used to have on his posts " a little clearance never got in the road." Good luck, make stuff, don't stress about accuracy too much.

Thread: Change gear alternative material
21/09/2020 14:24:18

ANY of the mentioned thermoplastics, Nylatron, other nylon based resins, acetal / Delrin will be FAR superior to any kind of Tufnol for change gears. In my opinion Tufnol is an obsolete and substandard material for any job where a plastic material is needed. Modern thermoplastics are better in every way. Just my $0.02 worth. Got my tin hat on, heading for the slit trench.......

Thread: Rotary Table 3 or 4 slot?
18/09/2020 18:35:37

Jim, it really does not matter which type of table you buy, because you can always make a separate fixture plate to mount on it, if need arises. It can have as many holes, slots, grooves as you need, in any pattern. I have several of these makeshift plates made for various custom jobs done over the years. Just food for thought.

Thread: Silver soldering a Minnie traction engine boiler
31/08/2020 04:10:15

Looks good Mark! well done. May need a bit more silver solder on the firebox wrapper as seen in middle picture, looks like a small void. May not be an issue but just mentioning it as I noticed it. Could be the wrapper to flange gap was a bit too wide just there.

Thread: Super sopper
26/08/2020 08:40:06

If you've got excess water problems on your cricket or football pitches, they just aren't cold enough yet.

(said the Canadian) smiley

Thread: David Noble
24/08/2020 21:52:31

Cheers David! I am ever in the UK I will look you up. Best, Jeff

24/08/2020 19:52:59

Hi David, you may indeed have a double. In fact some places will sell you the whole bottle.... smiley

But I think the David Noble Neil's party is trying to contact was the one who used to supply / collaborate with Doug Hewson for lost wax castings and fittings. I understand Doug's son is now helping to operate, or operating, Doug's steam locomotive business interests as "The Steam Workshop". Doug or his son may be able to fill in the details about the status of Mr Noble of detail castings fame (unless in fact that is our David in post above)

Thread: Eccentric turning
22/08/2020 23:58:35

Hi Arthur, Just FYI I don't do my eccentric boring on the lathe any more. I switched years ago to turning the OD and flange in the lathe, leaving the eccentric on a stub of the parent bar. I then load the bar eccentric end up in the mill, locate centre, step over by the needed offset, then drill and bore or ream on the mill. Less quesswork, in my mind anyway, no need to find packing exactly right, no risk of packing slipping out, etc. Just mentioning it as an alternate method. If you or someone you know has a mill, give it a go.

Thread: Brian's 1" Minnie Traction Engine
22/08/2020 00:03:36

It's looking great Brian! I see you are starting the beading around the tender, looks like. Tricky, but looks great when done.

Thread: Play Day at the club
21/08/2020 03:50:30

That was great Paul! Thanks for posting. The traction engine looked fabulous and ran beautifully too! Nice to see the CliShay "Gnome". No 699 went well too. Good fun. No steam events locally here (southwestern Ontario Canada) at all this year, so a real pleasure to watch your video. Cheers Jeff

Thread: 6" Stainless Steel Pipe
19/08/2020 20:50:02

A blind flange for nominal 150# 4" stainless pipe in the table at link below is 6 3/16" dia between bolt holes and 15/16" thick. If you can get one from a piping / oilfield / marine / chemical plant supply firm it would give you a nice blank to trepan to required ID and OD and reduce to 16 mm thick. It will not be cheap, likely, as any big lump of stainless will not be.

**LINK**

Thread: Help needed identifyingf traction engine
18/08/2020 23:09:02

I don't ever recall coming across one just like yours Simon, sorry. Are the wheels and chimney a heavy cast non ferrous white metal alloy, or are they iron? The firebox cover and its holes look Mamod-like, but the motion work and other aspects are not familiar. Is there a burner tray or a solid iron bar to be heated for firing? Thanks for sharing the pics, enjoyed seeing it.

Thread: Coping with voltage spikes
18/08/2020 12:42:07

Would you now reconsider my suggestion of visiting the pound shop for a battery powered book lamp to adapt for a gauge lamp, decoupling the issue from the car wiring / dodgy LED's? Just food for thought

Thread: Copper boiler plate flanging, or not?
17/08/2020 22:35:41

I would urge caution interpreting FEA results in sheetmetal assemblies (like boilers). Depending on metal and thickness vs area the stress may be non-linear as ANY deformation of the sheet / tube occurs. For work like this in industry I have hired professional FEA analysts several times, to be sure the construction is safe at the working pressures expected. Non linear FEA is very complex and expensive, if accurate results are needed. Do not assume the behaviour of the sheetmetal will be linear. Free FEA as found in CAD packages is usually limited to linear analysis- adequate for many things, but not for sheetmetal that is deforming.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Warco
EngineDIY
ChesterUK
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest