By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Jeff Dayman

Here is a list of all the postings Jeff Dayman has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: A Weekend of Two Halves/ Exhibitions
19/01/2020 14:41:19

Looks like a lot of overhang from the bearing. Really light cuts only, I would think.

Thread: Apologies for raising this again
19/01/2020 14:39:18

Since hundreds of thousands of these cars were made, surely you can find another flywheel?

If you must get the teeth off the one you have, if it were me, I'd grind a few teeth off to make room for a saw blade width. Then cut the major part of the rest of the teeth off with a bandsaw. Mill the rest off to a clean diameter by mounting it on a pivot pin and rotating it past a 1/2" or larger dia cutter. Just food for thought.

Thread: Honda Brake Cable
18/01/2020 18:36:57

Not positive, but I seem to remember the silver front brake cable on my 1972 CB350K4 was 53 or 54" long.

In the bike mags I see from UK there is an advertiser "Wemoto" that has had some good reviews, and they advertise cables of any type, but I don't have personal experience with them. Just mentioning them as another possible source, As others have said, David Silver's are very good, got several hard to find items there for friends' bikes.

Thread: clock #2
16/01/2020 22:22:51

I sent you a PM David, with some more dry cell stuff just FYI.

16/01/2020 13:53:22

Here's a link about what one dry cell battery of the time looked like.

**LINK**

Thread: 2020 Had my full size flash steam engine running
14/01/2020 07:01:47

For a DIY pulsation damper, could you maybe use a piston in a cylinder, working against a spring? (Like a safety valve, but without vents)

Maybe a pneumatic cylinder off the shelf , with a beefier spring? I've seen such cylinders in surplus places going quite cheaply. Many are good for 400 psi plus. Just food for thought.

Thread: Co2 emissions.. Steam or diesel best?
10/01/2020 16:53:39

I find the people making the most noise about CO2 emissions from models, modern cars, etc happily fly to vacation destinations around the world, the jets producing thousands of litres of CO2 every trip.

(and conveniently ignore 20 million two stroke small motorbike engines in Asia running all day spewing CO2 and unburned hydrocarbons, gigantic coke and steel works in Asia spewing thousands of tons of CO2 yearly, etc.)

Thread: Mike Cox's cone drills in MEW 285 - source?
07/01/2020 23:04:18

Yes Canadian Tire do still exist, in fact they have hundreds of stores all over Canada. Not top quality stuff usually, but prices are reasonable.

If you can not find what you want there, just leave - asking for help from store staff is a recipe for wasted time and disappointment.

Oh, and their tires are abysmal, in my experience/opinion. Their skill at evading warranty claims on them is master level though, again in my experience/opinion.

07/01/2020 21:18:14

Just got the cone drill set I ordered in October. They were probably OK when they left the factory. However since they were improperly packed in just two thin poly bags one inside the other, and have been jostling around against other things / ships / docks / trucks etc. the cutting edges are completely ruined - tiny dents and burrs all along them.

I should throw them in the garbage but I may beg a favour of a friend with a surface grinder and clean them up.

Frustrating when all they needed was a card envelope or hard plastic sleeve and some bubble wrap around each.

Same thing happened earlier last year with some gear cutters from Banggood. Goods not bad at all and at a great price, but spoiled by horrible packaging not fit for purpose.

Thread: Vickers Bl 8 inch Howitzer cannon of 1917
05/01/2020 00:11:45

More great work Mal, well done!

Thread: Punching holes in metals
02/01/2020 15:58:37

Fundamentals of punch and die hole formation at link below.

**LINK**

Useful hand punch tool for light sheetmetal at link below. Had one for years, works really well.

**LINK**

Thread: Bolts & Screws using friction only to hold (or fluted)
01/01/2020 19:11:50

If you are making a lock and want cheap but strong construction, consider the design below. If the pin ends could be identical dia and length or at least the same dia, costs would be kept low due to minimal machining and simple workholding.

lock pin idea.jpg

Thread: Creality 3D For Christmas - Impressions so Far
31/12/2019 00:39:21

If accurate tooth form gears are needed from an FDM 3D printer I'd suggest increasing the size of the gears. Teeth say 4 mm width will FDM print nicely at 0.1 or 0.15 mm layers / finest resolution. 1 mm wide teeth, not so much.

As with any technology in the workshop, process to be used needs to be selected that will deliver the required accuracy and precision. For high precision small gearing, injection moulded plastic gears as Pete mentioned, or machined metal or plastic cut-tooth gears, are probably still best.

Thread: Shaper in action
31/12/2019 00:30:44

Chips and noise, by the look of it. (little chips, big noise)

Thread: A Santa Special to forget.
31/12/2019 00:29:04

In the UK, is the engineer/driver ultimately responsible for the tender to train connections/coupling if he made it? Or is there shared responsibility with engineer/driver and fireman?

If a trainman from the yard or depot made the connections/coupling and engineer / fireman did not, the trainman becomes responsible, I expect.

Repairs are likely not too involved but any damage to restored equipment is a heartbreaker to the volunteers doing the work.

Thread: 2-6-0 Horwich Crab
27/12/2019 14:47:06

Looking great Stewart! Thanks for the progress report.

Thread: Warco 5101 DRO user manual
27/12/2019 14:44:33

Some of us were already here! smiley

Finding things I put "in a safe place" so they wouldn't get misplaced is a frequent activity in my shop. Some places are so safe I've never found the items, until I buy replacements. They turn up soon after that usually.

Thread: Hello from Mitch Lees
27/12/2019 01:04:55

Hi Mitch, web search outside the site yielded the following post from Clive Foster from 2018 about the Stewart Hart article just FYI.

"Further to my mention of plans for the Eagle 66 type oil can there a good article containing both drawings and constructional write up by Stewart Hart was published in Model Engineer last year. Volume 219, no 4566, 4 - 17 August, 2017."

26/12/2019 17:02:53

Stewart Hart had a series not long ago on making a nice pump oiler based on an old design from the US as I recall. Maybe have been based on an Eagle oiler with improvements by Stewart. It's on my build list. No way I would pay huge money for purchased oil cans especially when there have been several reports about poor function of several brands over the years.

Thread: Confusing!?
26/12/2019 16:57:58

They forgot to add "LEFT HANDED" just to complete the confusing text ! smiley

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Tee London LMES 6th Dec
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
emcomachinetools
Ausee.com.au
cowells
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest