By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Jeff Dayman

Here is a list of all the postings Jeff Dayman has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Diamond shaped steam piston glands/pipe glands
18/06/2022 01:07:57

Great to see your thread Tug! fine work on your twin Victoria. Hope things are going great with you. Cheers!

Thread: 2020 Had my full size flash steam engine running
16/06/2022 21:19:47

That's a ferocious looking burner Windy! red hot in just under 25 seconds! Looking forward to seeing engine and boat runs with that one. Thanks for sharing the video. Cheers!

Thread: Vickers Bl 8 inch Howitzer cannon of 1917
25/05/2022 01:23:59

Looking great so far Mal! It's a tricky part. I suspect the gun works may have had a few rotary shapers to make those. (And conventional shapers too.) These rotary shaping machines could do arc shaped cuts starting and stopping at any angle needed. Setups must have taken ages. I've only ever seen one rotary shaper in a museum, I was born too late to see them in any shops I worked in.

Edited By Jeff Dayman on 25/05/2022 01:24:27

Thread: MEW Index updated to Issue 316 (June 2022)
22/05/2022 22:57:49

Many thanks David!

Thread: Time to Say Goodbye
09/05/2022 05:19:08

It's in a sad mess to be sure.

I have had great reliability of delivery and pretty good content with Engineering In Miniature. Worth a look. Cheers.

Thread: Reversible Marine Engine
29/04/2022 11:58:04

What a great little engine! Nicely built. Cheers Paul

Thread: work slipping while threading ...
17/04/2022 00:15:55

Piece of ordinary paper between work and jaws can make a big difference in grip. Same for work held in a mill vise or clamped to a machine table.

Thread: MEW, ME, RCM&E and Model Boats under new ownership.
06/04/2022 18:45:52

Neil - you have a PM - cheers

Thread: piezzo buzzer
06/04/2022 18:44:53

Kyocera and Murata were two big names in piezoceramics when I was involved with them (mechanical mounting) for smoke alarms many years ago. A link below to Kyocera, who may be able to help with info / datasheets.

https://global.kyocera.com/prdct/ecd/piezo_single/index.html

Thread: Determining/measuring sub-micron displacement
01/04/2022 12:32:37

Hi Joe, An interesting application of simple flexures for high mechanical magnification in measurement was the Sigma comparator from 1930's or before. Relatively simple and robust and no expensive lenses etc in sight. Sub micron measurement with them is very possible depending on the magnification it is built with. A youtube video of the operating principles is linked below.

https://youtu.be/39YJzk3-Jrc

Johansson Mikrokator is also interesting, youtube link below. Higher magnification is possible with it too, if strip and needle are longer. As they get longer though, vibration from the building and people in it becomes a problem.

https://youtu.be/gtXmarAbLBY

Thread: Pantograph Plasma Shape Cutting Machine
01/04/2022 00:14:12

Smart, and nicely made! well done.

Thread: CNC Lathe Scratch Build
23/03/2022 17:40:38

Great work on those probes Joseph! well done. Years ago I worked for a smoke alarm firm and had a lot to do with piezo disks for making noise. Never thought to use them for a probe. In smoke alarms we supported the disk with a circular knife edged ring top and bottom , the knife edge was at the nodal diameter of the disk to allow max movement / max noise. The disk was captive in a circular housing which located the disk od at 3 minimal contact points and with about 0.4 mm total clearance on the od. Made millions of alarms with these per year, about 99 % worked perfectly! I recall the disks we used were from Kyocera.

Thread: Bevel Gear Replacement for Astra L2/L4 Mill - any ideas?
22/03/2022 11:23:49

Finding replacement miter gears (for shafts at 90 degrees to each other) is not difficult, several industrial suppliers in North America have a huge variety of them, likely some in UK do as well. But skew (angled tooth) miter gears are much harder to find, especially in plastic.

Food for thought - replace BOTH gears with an available set of metal non skew / straight tooth miter gears to keep your machine running.

Thread: Which bonding agent
20/03/2022 14:37:19

3M has a good IRSA product, and will stand behind it. Just FYI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXk5Y9zg1dY

Thread: Sieg SC3-400 upgrade progress
15/03/2022 14:50:27

Your setup looks great and to me is much more sensible than playing around with the iffy controllers and motors the small machines often come with. I've often wondered why more people having trouble with controller / motor don't just scrap the iffy OEM controllers / motors and go with a similar setup to yours, I would expect you will get many years of service from it. Well done!

Thread: Mechanism with spiral spring
28/02/2022 14:33:59

Be sure to post some photos of your progress An Mich, would love to see how this works out. Cheers!

Thread: Advise and Recommendations
27/02/2022 17:14:44

A few years ago J E Nystrom built a nice electric traction engine. Link to video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIyr7fL5WAI

Thread: Mechanism with spiral spring
26/02/2022 14:34:17

I'd suggest the same idea/mechanism as used in a Sten gun, adapted to "fire" vertically. Basically it is a fairly heavy steel rod running vertically inside a loose fit tube. There is a spring below the rod causing it to jump up and hit the fork when triggered. After impact the rod falls back down by gravity, and if the spring is adjusted just so, it resets the rod behind the trigger catch / sear, and re-compresses the spring for the next actuation. Again, weight of rod and strength of spring have to be adjusted just so to get the rod mass vs the spring force to work as described. A nut soldered or welded on the bottom end of the vertical tube, with an adjuster screw installed inside, would provide a simple length/force adjustment for the spring, to " dial it in ". The trigger could be made with a button on a release lever, or left as a plain lever. It also needs to have a light spring and a stop to allow automatic resetting with minimal force. Just food for thought.

As with all simple mechanisms gravity is your friend.

Thread: Brian Hutchings
22/02/2022 22:43:34

Very sorry to read this, my sincere condolences to Brian's family and friends.

Thread: Crank handle method and sequence
18/02/2022 21:21:08

Suggest simplified handles. If you make the centre section from rectangular bar or plate and add a simple turned counterweight at left end and spinning handle at the other, it will take a lot less time and do exactly the same job. The spinning one can be a plain cylinder , a cylinder with a low taper halfway up the OD, or the fancy original style. All will work equally well. An ordinary shoulder screw / stripper bolt makes an excellent pivot for a bronze or aluminum spinning handle.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
cowells
Dreweatts
Rapid RC
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest