By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Jeff Dayman

Here is a list of all the postings Jeff Dayman has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Air regulation for my Engine
24/09/2021 18:28:46

Granularity?

any regulator 0-100 psi and a ball valve next to it for on/off would do

Thread: Is this blindingly obvious?
17/09/2021 12:49:45

Hi Nick, It was not obvious to me either that good quality filament is a must with Ender 3 and also that the as-delivered very basic reel holder can cause feed problems. I have since been buying a better PLA plus filament and also PETG filament, and have very few build issues now. I also built a separate reel holder off the machine, with a centre axle holding ball bearings in printed hubs fitting the reels. A couple of shaft collars hold the reel on and keep the printed hubs engaged in the wheel. The reel holder was made of steel scrap and hangs from the floor joist above the machine, so it is completely isolated from machine vibration and feeds straight horizontally, from left side, into the Ender 3 extruder. It has improved things greatly and cost very little to make.

I also replaced the as-supplied build mat with a Creality glass bed plate - major improvement - and an all metal extruder. This extruder is better than the original but not optimal. Will be looking for a better extruder design on the next machine I buy.

All that said, I think my Ender 3 was excellent value for money and a great way to get started with 3D printing in the home shop. It has paid for itself many times over, by making usable assembly fixturing and press form tooling, working prototypes for linkages and mechanisms, and replacement parts for broken plastic bits (low stress indoor use parts). My two nieces have also had a ball with it making toys and action figures, movie characters, characters from books (most notably a family of 3 "Totori" characters from a popular book from Japan).

Thread: Cylinder Head Combustion Chamber Template
13/09/2021 21:03:45

I suggest a 3D template rather than just a 2D cutout template will be needed to get all cavities the same.

If you apply a mould release paste, or paste wax, then pour in a low shrinkage two part urethane casting resin, an accurate hard resin "plug" can be made. This can be used to duplicate the chamber exactly, with a duplicating mill, or digitized with a scanner or CMM to get data for CNC programming a CNC mill, Even plaster of Paris can work if a low shrinkage grade is used. If you pour the impression through a "deck plate" with holes lining up with machined holes in the head, and a centre hole for pouring in the impression material, the impression can be located properly to the head. If you do want to use the valve guides to locate it, you could plug the ports with plasticiene and use a couple of cut off scrap valve stems in the guides, cast into the impression, to locate it that way - but that is much more work for not much benefit or increased accuracy. Probably not needed unless you are tuning a formula one race engine.

Thread: Request for copy of turbine locomotive article in ME 4667
07/09/2021 18:23:10

Well I can't believe it but I have already had offers of help with my request! lightning fast forum members! Thanks very much to those forum members who assisted. Moderators- could you please close the thread now? matter is successfully concluded.

07/09/2021 18:04:51

Hi All, I have purchased ME's 4665,4666, and now 4668 at my bookshop here in Ontario Canada. (yes, we are just now receiving June / July issues)

Somehow the bookshop did not receive a copy of 4667 that has Mr Mike Tilby's steam turbine locomotive "Turbomotive" article part 1. If anyone could make a photocopy I'd be glad to reimburse copy costs and postage. Alternately a scan to PDF of the article would be even better, if someone with the mag has a scanner.

Please PM me if anyone can help. Best regards Jeff Dayman

(before anyone mentions it, I did email several staffers on the masthead at ME with zero response after four days - two tries two days apart . Also tried to phone but could not get through.)

Thread: I need to cut chamfers into x64 pieces of mild steel - any advice?
03/09/2021 14:38:59

what job is this for?

Thread: automating a coil winder
31/08/2021 13:19:35

ancient pre computer coil winders used a heart cam to do the traversing of the carriage, geared to the winding axis. There was a room full of them making 24V transformers for heating controls at a plant I worked at in the 1980's. The machines were originally built (beautifully and heavily) in the late 1930's and were still going strong in the 1980's. The motors driving them were the only electric parts. The winders were stopped when the mechanical coil counter kicked out a clutch on the motor shaft.

Thread: Anyone know what machine tool maker uses this emblem?
31/08/2021 13:09:57

Possibly John Watson foundry Ayr Ontario Canada

Thread: Mounting stuff to a Faceplate
30/08/2021 20:16:03

you might try a plywood faceplate made in your own shop and mounted in a 3 or 4 jaw chuck. This plywood faceplate is just a small disk and a larger disk of 3/4" / 19 mm thick plywood sawed out and glued and screwed together. The parts to be machined are screwed directly to the larger plywood disk. If the assembly is mounted in a 4 jaw it can be zeroed where desired and no extreme accuracy line up of part to plywood is needed. If using a three jaw to hold the plywood faceplate some care will be needed to align the part to the disk. I sometimes make a centre pop or small hole where zero needs to be, use the tailstock centre to locate on this mark or hole and hold the work to the disk while screws are driven to secure the work to the larger disk.

Light cuts are a must with this setup.

Cheap as chips and it works. Some pics of a couple of mine are in the August EIM magazine in the letters section FYI.

Thread: Traction engine build
30/08/2021 20:04:05

The first question I would ask around on is the type and the cost of the boiler you want to do. Copper boilers this size will be extremely costly and could take a very long time if ordered from a professional boilermaker. Steel boiler may be cheaper in materials but professional welding to meet local / national regulations is very costly.

If funds are unlimited please disregard my comments above entirely, but if cost conscious like many of us, the boiler will be a big factor in overall costs.

You may need to have some large parts made on others' larger equipment, ie boiler parts wheels flywheel if they will not fit your Boxford, No problem if you have a friend or friends with such equipment but can get costly if you have to have work done at a commercial machines shop. Not trying to discourage you in any way, just mentioning these things for awareness. Good luck.

Thread: Something to spend your pocket money on
27/08/2021 17:24:39

Some beautiful models there. Could be some piggy banks getting emptied with these.

Just for awareness, the Canadian National Railways 8342 0-8-0 locomotive design by Mr M Evans and shown in the auction brochure is not faithful to the prototype CNR engine at all. If the buyer does not care about the accuracy of the details and appearance being close to the real engine, no problem, but be aware this model is NOT true to prototype. I have been told before that Mr Evans modified the design to suit loading gauge, etc. but as far as I know he never mentioned it was not accurate to the real thing (not even close) and maybe was counting on the mainly UK audience not to be familiar with CNR equipment details. As a Canadian and lifelong CNR fan and having some knowledge of the real engines, Mr Evans "freelancing" the model design is offensive. When I see this model I imagine feelings are much the same as they would be for a GWR fan seeing a vandalised King painted bright yellow with a cowcatcher and woodburner smokestack tacked on, or an LNER fan seeing a model of The Flying Scotsman done up like Thomas and painted bright blue.

I have no doubt it will pull well though, as the auction brochure mentions Mr Peter Dupen worked on it. His models were amazing, in general.

Thread: Looking for solution to incorrigibly jumpy needle roller bearings
17/08/2021 00:46:13

I would recommend putting no more money into repairing Stihl gas engines or associated parts. I suggest looking into imported cordless hedge trimmers at your local DIY big box store. Not sure about pricing in the UK at DIY stores but last year I bought an imported cordless hedge trimmer here, a local hardware chain's brand, Mastercraft, for about the equivalent of 55 UK pounds, with two batteries. Does a beautiful job, runs for over an hour on one battery, and if it only lasts a few years it is still cheaper than one repair's worth of parts on any Stihl machine (parts are staggeringly expensive for Stihl machines here). Stihl quality has dropped badly in the last few years, carburetors in particular. Just food for thought.

Thread: Silver solder flux has dried out.
15/08/2021 13:47:55

I don't have your exact brand of flux, but the "Lucas Milhaupt" brand stuff I have has dried out and been re-wet several times and works fine. Take a small lump of your flux and wet it, do a test joint on something non-critical to be sure.

Thread: Dividing this would have been an interesting exercise !!
15/08/2021 13:44:05

This job would be very simple on a large rigid jig borer (Loewe, Brown and Sharpe etc). Any watch, clock, gauge or instrument factory in the US in the 1920's / 1930's making their own precision dies for stamped parts would have such a jig borer. Builders of the telescope discussed would likely know of, or be able to find a shop to have the part made. Hole positioning accuracy on the Loewe jig borers was +/-.0002" or better, to XY coordinates, not rotational dividing. (position tolerance was often closer than .0002" on one in a factory toolroom I worked in)

Thread: Random Thoughts on Steam Injectors
13/08/2021 15:23:00

Suggest you find a copy of Mr. D.A.G. Brown's book "miniature injectors inside and out" which has a guide to injector sizing as well as all constructional details needed.

Thread: Jerryrigeverything channel...electic Hummer.
11/08/2021 19:56:44

I can think of few vehicles that would be a worse candidate for conversion to electric power - unless the objective is youtube clicks and/or getting noticed by US TV "reality" car shows.

Any Toyota or Nissan full size FWD pickup truck style vehicle would be much more suitable, with very strong frame structure and body on the Toyotas particularly. No worries with either make about auxiliary systems like HVAC and ABS. These auxiliary systems are really bad on the Hummers, also Hummers are notorious for having very heavy wheels and other unsprung weight - yet these parts are mounted on very weak structures, and payload is quite low compared to vehicle mass. Lots of issues on Hummers with mixed steel and aluminum body panels without sufficient electrical isolation - corrosion bubbling under the paint where dissimilar materials meet can be seen on most Hummers still existing. Fuel consumption is very heavy on all models, and operator / passenger comfort is nonexistant in all but the H3 (civilian only) model. Hummers (civilian versions particularly) are monuments of bad vehicle design. Sure, the military version passed the military performance spec tests, but these tests are designed to make sure it can handle many kinds of terrain without damage or operator injury. Meeting the spec does not guarantee a good vehicle design with ALL factors considered. Just my opinion.

Thread: Class 22 Diesel (next project)
04/08/2021 16:54:57

Great looking casting set Ron. Hope you are better and able to get out on the track soon. Cheers!

Thread: Aluminium
19/07/2021 12:29:15

I find 5052 or 5053 is great for pan type parts. Similar properties to 60xx series but more easily formed and welded. Usually cheaper than 60xx also, local to me.

Thread: Acrylic as an Insulator
01/07/2021 12:41:34

Hi Joe, Just FYI resin manufacturers do offer many types of conductive injection moulding grades of engineering polymers. Sabic alone offer 211 grades, Link below. Some are very conductive.

https://www.sabic.com/en/products/specialties/lnp-compounds/lnp-stat-kon-compound

However it is very unlikely you or the OP would find scraps of one of these carbon fibre loaded polymers (or the more recently developed RGO graphene loaded ones) in your local signmaker's shop, hobby store, building supply, or industrial plastic sheet supplier. Many commonly available PMMA and polycarbonate dark colours use chemical dye for colouring them rather than solid pigment, these materials have very low conductivity as you said.

On many of Henry Ford's cars until the mid 1920's, wood was used as low voltage switch gear insulator material, and after that, compression moulded thermoset phenolic resins became commonly used, one brand being Bakelite.

Thread: Is buying a custom ground tool my only option??
30/06/2021 19:03:31

If you have a boring head, you can put a single point tool in it and set it so the end of the tool describes the arc you need. You can then mount the boring head shank in a block on the tool post, rotating about the vertical axis, with close fit bearings so it can turn without chatter. Also make a clamp-on handle to turn the head and tool assy in the block to make your cuts in the turning stock in the lathe. Look up "ball turner based on boring head" to see this idea arranged horizontally, for turning the OD's of balls. For a groove, you arrange it vertically.

Another thought- if you have a mill and a spin index or rotary table - set up an endmill of the diameter of your groove, mount the work on the index or rotary table and rotate the work past the cutter. when finished, re-mount to the lathe and file and polish the groove to suit.

I also second the idea of going to a bearing factor first to see what it available. you may find an off the shelf bearing with the correct OD but ID too big, or vice versa, for relatively little money and of high quality. Then go to your lathe and make a spacer ring to take up the gap or gaps as needed to make the purchased brg fit your machine. The ring or rings can be retained by Loctite and or setscrews or by a shoulder machined on one side and a retaining ring on the other. The bearing firm can probably help you find a retaining ring if you need one.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Dreweatts
Warco
walker midge
cowells
JD Metals
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
rapid Direct
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest