By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Bill Pudney

Here is a list of all the postings Bill Pudney has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: TOPIC VARIETY
20/02/2021 21:24:30

I've been on this forum for some years and a subscriber to MEW for nearly as long. My main interests do not include locos, or steam powered anything. I also try and bring a bit of humour to my postings. This doesn't always work and I have had to apologise for offending some readers.

However possibly because this forum covers such a broad range of topics I find it really interesting, even if I have no real interest in apple green locos, or particular makes of machine tool, overall the content here is amazing.

Please don't restrict content to only left handed widgets made on a Wednesday, before 7.45 a.m.

cheers

Bill

Thread: MEW 300 IS HERE !
17/02/2021 21:19:24

Up here in sunny South Australia MEW 300 has just arrived. I am happy to admit to being impressed with it. The carrier pigeon seemed a bit exhausted........

cheers

Bill

Thread: Engineering / Modelling Books for Winter Evenings?
15/02/2021 00:00:21

I have both Thomas' books, "The Model Engineers Workshop Manual" and "Workshop Techniques". The first one (....Manual) is more general, the second (....Techniques) is more specific to GHTs designs. In my opinion they are both excellent . GHTs style is to do everything as well as possible, which can be a little daunting at times, especially to someone like me, but in many ways is inspirational. Some of his designs, even for pedestrian things like a finger plate are examples of this.

Highly recommended, especially ....Manual!!

cheers

Bill

Thread: Roller skate bearings.
14/02/2021 03:06:32

I know it's different applications, but.............. When I used to be responsible for machine tool specification and acquisition, I was given the following advice. Ceramic spindle bearings are fine in an environment where there will be no machine "crashes", this would apply to a production environment where all tooling, hard and soft, all processes etc are proven. However in a "jobbing" environment where the frequency of new tasks with unproven tooling will be far higher, then ceramic bearings are not advised. Simply because they have a very low tolerance for shock. In a jobbing environment steel bearings are advised.

This recommendation was to avoid the wrecking of machine tool spindles, which at the time, 15 or so years ago varied in cost between AU$10,000 for a Bridgeport VMC to over AU$40,000 for a Makino horizontal mill.

Now I'm not sure of the likelihood of shock loadings on skates, but I would imagine that they are fairly high. I'm also not sure of the relative cost of steel bearings vs ceramic bearings, and the cost of changing knackered bearings for good ones. However they are probably things which should be considered.

No doubt someone will shoot me down in flames with ..."I've had ceramic bearings on my skates, skate board, in lines for the last 20 years, skated around the World, up mountains across rivers, across the Sahara, never had a problem" To which my response would be " Well done"

cheers

Bill

Thread: To oil or not to oil
13/02/2021 22:53:30

Just remembered....coconut oil. A friend of mine used to run a business making dental implants from grades 2 and 5 titanium. Typically he used very sharp HSS cutters and coconut oil, especially when cutting threads. From memory all the parts he made were under 6mm diameter and less than 12mm long. I have subsequently used coconut oil on just about everything, especially threads it certainly does work!! It needs to be kept warm to stay a liquid. When it's at the right temp which seems to be over about 35 degrees C it is at it's best. Apply with a small brush, it doesn't take much to make a difference!!

cheers

Bill

p.s. I used a concoction including Turps on the mill. Now the mill and vice are missing large areas of paint.

12/02/2021 22:15:31

Am I the only one who finds that WD40 leaves a waxy deposit?? Obviously not an issue on the workpiece but a major PITA on the rest of the workshop, especially the machine!! As a result I ONLY use kero (paraffin) on Al. Alloy

cheers

Bill

Thread: Plans for updating the archaic forum?
11/02/2021 22:38:50

In my admittedly luddite influenced experience, anything that requires any sort of software upgrade ALWAYS results in cost overruns, function chaos at least in the short term and generally a right royal PITN, and general long term grumpiness from the average user. If it (forum upgrade) goes ahead watch out for an increase in the cover price of the magazines!!

cheers

Bill

Thread: Engineering / Modelling Books for Winter Evenings?
11/02/2021 22:31:01

Talking about models of ships........A long time ago in a far off land I was working for a Government dept. where Royal Navy ships were designed. Part of the design process was the manufacture of a large scale model, the one in the section where I was working was 1/50. No doubt earlier models were 1/48. I was told that models were made because most politicians couldn't, or wouldn't read drawings. Part of my induction process was a visit to the model shop, where there were about 5 or 6 men beavering away. When I said which section I was on there was a more or less spontaneous gasp from the model makers, followed by...."..so it's your fault". As a result of "my" section being the first metric ship designed by the Admiralty, the model makers had had to remake all the "Standard parts" and/or AP (Admiralty Pattern) parts, ships boats, guardrail stanchions, davits, anchors etc etc, which since Noah was a lad had been in imperial scale. One of the hidden costs of metrification no doubt!!

cheers

Bill

Thread: MEW issue 301
11/02/2021 03:13:51

One of the few disadvantages of living in Australia, still awaiting the arrival of MEW300, let alone MEW301!!

cheers

Bill

Thread: General Aeromodelling Discussion
10/02/2021 21:29:32

Hi Tug, Thanks for the welcome!! Yes the Nalon Viper is running, and running very well!! So far I haven't flown it although that is the obvious thing to do. So far my thoughts have been to build a Mercury "New Junior Monitor" for the Sugden and I'm not sure what for the Viper!!

We shall see

cheers

Bill

Thread: "Universal" machine
09/02/2021 22:01:09

Some time ago , 15 years or so, where I worked bought a Mazak Integrex, which was identical in principal to the DMG Mori in the OP. It cost, including most of the available options, something like AU$450,000. It paid for itself within two years, just considering the best (I think) eight parts, of the twenty or so that the machine could manufacture. Truly amazing machines, but maybe a bit expensive for the average home workshop!!cheers

Bill

Thread: General Aeromodelling Discussion
07/02/2021 04:48:33

Aeromodelling, probably my main lifetime obsession, in front (even) of motor cycles and model engineering in terms of duration if nothing else. It was control line first from the mid 50s to the mid 60s. Then a break when motorcycles, wives (yep 2 ) took over. Then in the late 70s my brother introduced me to the delights of free flight. That was it for the next 35 or so years. First off was F1a, towline glider duration for a few years, then F1b rubber powered duration took over. I got fairly good at F1b winning a few national level comps along the way. About 2008 ish the local club collapsed, and with it went the flying field. As with any pursuit, Free flight needs practice, without a decent sized flying field the opportunity for practice was zero. So sadly I stopped free flight and took up control line again. At first I thought I would take up combat, of the "Vintage" variety, sadly I fairly quickly realised that I was too old and too slow. So that's about where I am now, generally flying fast sports aerobatic models. Its still good fun but a bit superficial compared to free flight

cheers

Bill

Thread: Reported Postings
04/02/2021 23:00:55

The consensus seems to be that my award concept is not a good one. Which I think is a bit sad as it was intended to lighten the tone. However I can also see that it could, and probably would become an object of abuse, which is definitely not a good thing.

So, stay safe

cheers

Bill

03/02/2021 22:11:40

I would like to make a slightly tongue in cheek suggestion. That all regular posters to this site, say those with more than 50 posts, be given the option of awarding a rating to other posters. Some of the possible awards that spring to mind are "Pompous Person", " Pedantic Possum", "Irritating Idiot", "Brilliant Contributor", "Balloon Burster" (the late John Stevenson comes to mind here).

As someone who was recently accused of being insulting to another forum member, I am aware that this (tongue in cheek, remember) suggestion may ruffle a few feathers, which isn't really my intention. At the end of the day I presume that all of us are here because of a common interest....model engineering. If we cannot share a little humour, then so be it. That's our collective loss in my opinion.

cheers

Bill

Thread: Tailstock turret
02/02/2021 20:35:10

ega wrote "I looked at your turret album. Your solution seems excellent for small diameter work, particularly if it could be combined with a five-way adjustable stop arrangement.

Might you post a photo of the turret in action?"

Thank you, it was intended for small stuff. Yes an adjustable stop set up is probably the next thing on the list. "Action" photos are a bit unlikely at the moment, but when I can get into the shed for some mess making activities I will try and take some!

DC31k wrote "May I suggest an enhancement?

Right now, the length, design and position of the indexing plunger means the eccentric part of the turret has to be at the top or at the operator side of the tailstock.

If the plunger were rethought or relocated, the eccentric bit could be positioned towards the rear of the lathe, minimising potential for laceration.

Potentially, it could go perpendicular to its current axis. If it had a 45 degree end on it, pressing on a ball, the locking force can be made to turn the corner."

Not to sure I am completely with you, however....As it stands the plunger/detent plunger is about the simplest arrangement. It does work, it is slightly awkward to use, it is very positive.  I haven't left any bits of flesh or sprayed any claret over the lathe.  Changing the detent plunger to being perpendicular to it's current position, would entail remaking several parts for an undoubted improvement in function. The increase in complexity of the revised parts might be a bit offputting. Certainly, if I was starting the project again, and knowing what I now know, revisions to the detent pin arrangement would be investigated. Thanks for the interest!!

cheers

Bill

Edited By Bill Pudney on 02/02/2021 20:37:49

01/02/2021 23:01:08

Some time ago I made a 5 station turret for use on my mini lathe. I'm sure that the Sparey design is excellent, but I was worried about all those sharp things ripping my flesh. So I copied a Schaublin TT and made the inserted tools parallel with the tailstock. The overall diameter is a bit over 62mm, the toolholders are ER11 collet chucks, as they are smaller than Jacobs type chucks. The ER11 chucks were sourced from CTC reasonably priced and I already use the collets elsewhere. Have a look in my albums..............it works quite well

cheers

Bill

Thread: Flooding
24/01/2021 23:30:12

In 69 or 70 I went to inspect a house with a view to purchase. It was in one of the "Wallops" in Hampshire.  There are several Wallops, Nether, Upper, Lower etc etc. Nice very old house, thatched roof, solid stone, 4' thick walls full of character etc etc. When walking around the garden, I couldn't help but notice a fairly high bank, obviously man made running round the place. I asked the Real Estate person "What is the bank for" , "In case the river floods" (there was a small river on the other side of the road), Says I "..When did the river last flood?", says the R.E.P., without a trace of irony, humour or sarcasm, "1572".

Happy New Year, stay safe

cheers

Bill

Edited By Bill Pudney on 24/01/2021 23:31:44

Thread: Motorcycle General Discussion
18/01/2021 01:14:53

Like Duncan I don't have a bike anymore. Sadly after a lifetime of motor bicycling I was on my way to work one day, when I realised that I was just going through the motions and wasn't enjoying it any more....no more fun. It was like getting a bucketful of ice cold water over your head. I still fancy a 650SS, or a G80CS engine in a featherbed, or a Silk, but realistically those days are gone. Just, mainly happy memories!

cheers

Bill

17/01/2021 22:45:45

I did a college final project in 1991 which ended up being called "Motorcycle Suspension". It required determining what loads are applicable to motorcycles on the road, it ended up demonstrating that braking loads are the major loads in normal use. It also demonstrated that compression of the front forks under braking reduces the stability of a motorcycle at exactly the time that maximum stability is required. To determine what order of magnitude these braking loads were a series of braking tests were performed from 30 up tp 100 kph. These tests established that...1/ The "old Wives tale" about the front brake doing 75% of the braking is about right. 2/ That extreme braking was indeed a tense affair because of reduced stability 3/ That under the right conditions "stoppies" (where the rear wheel comes off the road surface) are feasible on a single disc road bike.

I had felt for some twenty years prior that telescopic forks were somewhat limiting, and ended up proposing a system similar to the Hossack/Fior layout which ultimately was more or less copied by BMW with their Telelever .

The snag seems to be that motorcyclists are very fashion conscious and want something that looks like what the motogp riders use, and motogp manufacturers are hooked into suspension providers, who are mainly interested in selling stuff.

cheers

Bill

Thread: MEW 300 IS HERE !
08/01/2021 20:31:51

For what it's worth my copy of MEW 299 arrived yesterday, this is one of the few problems with living in Australia!!

cheers

Bill

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
emcomachinetools
Warco
JD Metals
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest