By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for JimmieS

Here is a list of all the postings JimmieS has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Motorcycle General Discussion
18/01/2022 21:49:06

Some 65 years ago I had my first pillion ride on a NSU Max and have always had a liking for the bike and 'followed' them in local road races in the classic era days. The late Sir John once noted in passing that he had been involved in the conversion of this model to racer spec, ie Sportmax replicas. Anyone else with experience or knowledge of the conversion details?

Jim

Thread: The Bistella motorcycle
24/12/2021 19:50:18

Perhaps that is why the max power has been reduced from a calculated max of 120hp to 12hp for safety reasons, nevertheless it is an exciting project and so different to most other one off-bikes.

Jim

24/12/2021 16:13:41

Don't know if this topic has being discussed before.

**LINK**

Thread: Letterboxes
30/11/2021 23:03:23

Our letter box has been duct taped up and a mail box screwed on the adjacent wall. Why? A 'box allows the same volume of cold air into the hall as a brick missing from it. You would be amazed at the improvement in comfort. Plus, should we go away there is no evidence of our absence.

Thread: Axminster Drill Clamp
23/11/2021 10:03:49

Many thanks to all concerned, it is good to know that there are still like minded folk who are more than willing to give help and advice to those in need. Jim

21/11/2021 19:23:13

Anyone have experience of using these:

**LINK**

06/10/2021 09:24:18

Interesting tale of building a BSA Bantam/Star bike.

http://www.bsaotter.com/graham_dale_s_bsa_banstar.html

Thread: Saving the Planet or is it ?
29/09/2021 12:05:21

From Ireland some honest comments.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2021/0929/1249533-electricity-supply-warning/

25/09/2021 22:58:24

After listening to the first 6 minutes of this ‘Money Box’ prog, explaining the breakdown of my electric bill, I thought of the term ‘scam’.

**LINK**

And if the facts stated in last 8 minutes of this prog are correct, looking forward to an era of ‘cheap’ energy is a pipe dream.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000zv4b

Thread: Motorcycle wheel spindles
01/09/2021 13:52:37

Many thanks to all who responded to my 'simple' question, your comments and suggestions are much appreciated.. Seem there is a lot more the the question that I thought. Jim

29/08/2021 21:59:08

I require a replacement f/wheel spindle for a BSA Bantam racer I am restoring for parade use only. The bike is fitted with an unknown set of forks so buying a spare is out of the question. As my old Boxford is uncapable of turning anything parallel to the tolerance required for such a job, could the spindle be assembled from two pieces of EN8 silver soldered together? Thoughts please.

Jim

07/08/2021 21:39:01

OIs this a sign of some sort of normality returning? Highlights og this year's Armoy Road Races. Should the link fail it is on BBC.

**LINK**

Thread: Painting staircase spindles
16/05/2021 22:15:04

Many thanks for the advice and 'encouragement'.. Now I have started it I shall have to see it to the end - what ever year that will be!

Jim

12/05/2021 18:30:03

Sorry that should have read 40 spindles. Tony, I suppose you and your good wide do not do any sub contract work!

Jim

12/05/2021 14:04:37

I am in the process of painting 70 previously varnished mahogany spindles each turned from 2" stock. The rubbing down and priming went well (!) but trying to make a decent job of the top coat is proving impossible probably not helped with my slow work rate due to arthritic hands. I was advise to use Johnstone's Aqua System top coat but it is drying off almost from the brush. Temp in the stair well is around the 25C mark which will not help.with paint flow. Any help and advice would be of great help.

Also anyone have experience of Floetrol as an additive for making paint flow?

Thread: Advice and guidance for arthritic folk
17/02/2021 10:55:53

Many thanks to those who made suggestions. Also apologies to Bill for missing his THUMBS thread.

For several years I enjoyed regular out-patients visits, meeting lovely folk who did their best for me, scans, blood test, injections, finger splints, compression gloves, etc, with Methotrexate being the only treatment which 'worked.' Last April, following a chest infection and being on the clinically extremely vulnerable list I has to stop as it compromises the immune system. Oh boy, did I notice a difference!

For those in a similar situation, two 'assists' I found to be very useful are the Baby Boa Constrictor (small strap wrench) for tightening/loosing screw-top jars, plumbing joints, etc and the Culinare MagiPull Ringpull opener. As usual I wasted money buying cheap rubbish before discovering these gems.

For what it is worth, eliminating citrus fruit and juice from my diet seems to have had a slight benefit.

Jim

17/02/2021 10:55:52

Many thanks to those who made suggestions. Also apologies to Bill for missing his THUMBS thread.

For several years I enjoyed regular out-patients visits, meeting lovely folk who did their best for me, scans, blood test, injections, finger splints, compression gloves, etc, with Methotrexate being the only treatment which 'worked.' Last April, following a chest infection and being on the clinically extremely vulnerable list I has to stop as it compromises the immune system. Oh boy, did I notice a difference!

For those in a similar situation, two 'assists' I found to be very useful are the Baby Boa Constrictor (small strap wrench) for tightening/loosing screw-top jars, plumbing joints, etc and the Culinare MagiPull Ringpull opener. As usual I wasted money buying cheap rubbish before discovering these gems.

For what it is worth, eliminating citrus fruit and juice from my diet seems to have had a slight benefit.

Jim

15/02/2021 20:17:47

I have that joy of old age - a good dose of arthritis in both hands which has reached the stage of, on a ‘bad’ day, needing both hands to turn the key in the garage door. As I am probably not the only one in this situation, I thought a thread devoted to providing advice on making workshop life, and life in general, a little easier for folk such as myself, would be much appreciated by many, whatever their individual interest.

Jim

15/02/2021 19:20:23

Interview with Jonathan Rea, six times World Champion, on UTV (Ulster Television) tomorrow, Tuesday (16/02/21) at 22.45.

15/02/2021 19:20:22

Interview with Jonathan Rea, six times World Champion, on UTV (Ulster Television) tomorrow, Tuesday (16/02/21) at 22.45.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
JD Metals
rapid Direct
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
walker midge
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest