By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for JimmieS

Here is a list of all the postings JimmieS has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Painting staircase spindles
16/05/2021 22:15:04

Many thanks for the advice and 'encouragement'.. Now I have started it I shall have to see it to the end - what ever year that will be!

Jim

12/05/2021 18:30:03

Sorry that should have read 40 spindles. Tony, I suppose you and your good wide do not do any sub contract work!

Jim

12/05/2021 14:04:37

I am in the process of painting 70 previously varnished mahogany spindles each turned from 2" stock. The rubbing down and priming went well (!) but trying to make a decent job of the top coat is proving impossible probably not helped with my slow work rate due to arthritic hands. I was advise to use Johnstone's Aqua System top coat but it is drying off almost from the brush. Temp in the stair well is around the 25C mark which will not help.with paint flow. Any help and advice would be of great help.

Also anyone have experience of Floetrol as an additive for making paint flow?

Thread: Advice and guidance for arthritic folk
17/02/2021 10:55:53

Many thanks to those who made suggestions. Also apologies to Bill for missing his THUMBS thread.

For several years I enjoyed regular out-patients visits, meeting lovely folk who did their best for me, scans, blood test, injections, finger splints, compression gloves, etc, with Methotrexate being the only treatment which 'worked.' Last April, following a chest infection and being on the clinically extremely vulnerable list I has to stop as it compromises the immune system. Oh boy, did I notice a difference!

For those in a similar situation, two 'assists' I found to be very useful are the Baby Boa Constrictor (small strap wrench) for tightening/loosing screw-top jars, plumbing joints, etc and the Culinare MagiPull Ringpull opener. As usual I wasted money buying cheap rubbish before discovering these gems.

For what it is worth, eliminating citrus fruit and juice from my diet seems to have had a slight benefit.

Jim

17/02/2021 10:55:52

Many thanks to those who made suggestions. Also apologies to Bill for missing his THUMBS thread.

For several years I enjoyed regular out-patients visits, meeting lovely folk who did their best for me, scans, blood test, injections, finger splints, compression gloves, etc, with Methotrexate being the only treatment which 'worked.' Last April, following a chest infection and being on the clinically extremely vulnerable list I has to stop as it compromises the immune system. Oh boy, did I notice a difference!

For those in a similar situation, two 'assists' I found to be very useful are the Baby Boa Constrictor (small strap wrench) for tightening/loosing screw-top jars, plumbing joints, etc and the Culinare MagiPull Ringpull opener. As usual I wasted money buying cheap rubbish before discovering these gems.

For what it is worth, eliminating citrus fruit and juice from my diet seems to have had a slight benefit.

Jim

15/02/2021 20:17:47

I have that joy of old age - a good dose of arthritis in both hands which has reached the stage of, on a ‘bad’ day, needing both hands to turn the key in the garage door. As I am probably not the only one in this situation, I thought a thread devoted to providing advice on making workshop life, and life in general, a little easier for folk such as myself, would be much appreciated by many, whatever their individual interest.

Jim

Thread: Motorcycle General Discussion
15/02/2021 19:20:23

Interview with Jonathan Rea, six times World Champion, on UTV (Ulster Television) tomorrow, Tuesday (16/02/21) at 22.45.

15/02/2021 19:20:22

Interview with Jonathan Rea, six times World Champion, on UTV (Ulster Television) tomorrow, Tuesday (16/02/21) at 22.45.

15/02/2021 19:20:20

Thread: Shipping delays and costs
22/01/2021 21:06:23

Hi Ketan

From the UK Government website

There will be some changes for goods movements into Northern Ireland from Great Britain. The UK as a whole will leave the EU’s customs union and Northern Ireland will remain part of the UK’s customs territory. The UK Government has established a free service, the Trader Support Service (TSS). It will be able to help all traders, regardless of size and at no additional cost, to move their goods between Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

I suspect the Government’s idea of ‘some changes’ is totally different to those in the haulage industry when they have gone to the bother to set up the TSS.

You may know that DPD, and probably other carriers, now require ‘any parcels destined for Northern Ireland to include the same data as for EU destinations. You will need to supply information for the import declaration which is a requirement of the Northern Ireland Protocol, a fundamental part of the withdrawal agreement.’ This requirement is certainly a new one.

So NI is in the UK customs territory but has to be treated as an EU destination! You could not make it up.

Me thinks there is an awful lot of small print in the withdrawal agreement which has still to emerge.

PS Apologies if this post appears twice - I have no idea why.

22/01/2021 14:31:15

Re: border poll - if and when it happens no matter what the result, does not change the current situation which is a real shambles.

22/01/2021 13:42:18

To add to the above, folk in Northern Ireland have an additional issue to deal with. Since Brexit, although in the UK, we remain part of the EU and now have a ‘border’ between us and the GB mainland which politicians refuse to admit. exists. This 'Irish Sea border’ means that most commercial goods entering NI from GB require a customs declaration. Although there is a three-month "grace period", several carriers have already stopped delivering here to avoid any hassle. I am told that this will be a particular issue for groupage distribution where each package will require separate documentation. One local haulier stated that he will need to employ ten additional staff to deal with the paperwork. Such is progress!

22/01/2021 13:42:17

To add to the above, folk in Northern Ireland have an additional issue to deal with. Since Brexit, although in the UK, we remain part of the EU and now have a ‘border’ between us and the GB mainland which politicians refuse to admit. exists. This 'Irish Sea border’ means that most commercial goods entering NI from GB require a customs declaration. Although there is a three-month "grace period", several carriers have already stopped delivering here to avoid any hassle. I am told that this will be a particular issue for groupage distribution where each package will require separate documentation. One local haulier stated that he will need to employ ten additional staff to deal with the paperwork. Such is progress!

Thread: Wasp trap - suggestions please
21/08/2019 11:40:22

Thanks for all advice. Wasps must have being reading this thread as numbers have dropped like a swatted insect over he past few days - probably coming to the end of their season.

Jim

19/08/2019 13:57:58

After catching almost 100 wasps in three traditional jam jar traps this morning - I assume some kind neighbour has a nest of which they are unaware - any and all suggestions on the latest spec would be much appreciated.

Jim

Thread: Motorcycle General Discussion
11/08/2019 12:02:51

Ulster Grand Prix on catch-up.

**LINK**

Thread: Osborn UK
13/07/2019 21:03:38

I have found two lengths (3/4" x 1/8" x 1/16" x 6" of parting off blanks branded Osborn UK which must be 50 or 60 years old. Anyone know the company and/or quality of their products?

Thread: Bespoke bicycle making
02/07/2019 09:54:46

Sorry for the repeats.

Edited By JimmieS on 02/07/2019 09:56:46

02/07/2019 09:54:46

Thanks David.

02/07/2019 09:54:45

Thanks David.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
walker midge
ChesterUK
cowells
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
JD Metals
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest