By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Lambton

Here is a list of all the postings Lambton has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Endfloat Myford Super 7 and thrust bearing condition
11/01/2019 17:10:36

Peter,

If the rear bearings are in good condition and have been correctly pre-loaded together then it should be possible to adjust the position of this pair of bearings to produce zero end float. Make sure that you carry out the instruction 3 on page 26 of the manual as carefully as possible. It is worth giving the spindle a light tap with a hide mallet the "seat" the bearings which may be sticking on the mandrel (or outer housing) a bit then test for end float again. It is helpful to have the catch plate on the mandrel at this stage as it gives you something to grasp and tap against when checking the end float. Also it will protect the threads and register of the mandrel nose. It is wise to check for lack of end float after the lathe has been used for a short time and re adjust if necessary.. Just take your time. and all will be well.

Eric

Thread: Measurements from the past
01/01/2019 19:29:22

A Dictionary of Scientific Units by H G Jerrard and D B McNeill states:

“ Mil(length). A unit of length equal to 1/1000 inch. The name was given to the unit by James Cocker (Liverpool) in 1858 but did not come into general use until its appearance in The Journal of the Institute of Telegraph Engineers in 1872. A thousandth of an inch is also called a thou”

Eric

Thread: Setting lathe top slide angle accurately.
25/12/2018 12:02:11

+ for using a sine bar and slip blocks.

May I refer any one interested to:

1. Model Engineer 4328 article by Maurice Turnbull on how to make a simple jig for using these items :and:
  2. Model Engineer 4346 my follow up article about the use of Maurice's article.

If carefully made this jig enables very accurate setting of the top slide for cutting small angle.

Eric

Thread: 2.05mm or #45?
13/12/2018 14:26:30

Vic,

Despite what is printed in Zeus or similar tables here is not a "correct" single tapping size for any thread. There is a range of tapping sizes for any particular thread and the one to be chosen depends on a number of considerations such as the material being tapped, the application of the fastening, dimensions of the male thread etc. Tapping sizes in such tables are usually based on providing 70% thread engagement suitable for "general engineering".

I recommend anyone who wants to know how to select which tapping size to use should buy a copy of Drills, Taps and Dies by Tubal Cain (Workshop Practice series No 12). This has extensive tables showing the range of suitable tapping drills together with the % engagement for each. There is whole chapter (8 page 62) on selecting tapping drills.

Eric

Thread: Unidentified 3 Jaw chuck with 24mm spigot recess, what will the thread be?
04/12/2018 10:12:45

Ian,

Is the chuck mounted on a back plate or is the thread cut directly into the chuck body?

Eric

Thread: The demise of the High Street
03/12/2018 12:19:46

Did you know that NHS Hospitals have to pay business rates?

I queried this with my MP who obtained confirmation of this from Rishi Sunak MP then Minister for Local Government.

Thread: It's a thread Jim, but...
20/11/2018 09:02:41

Is the tool set dead on center height?

Thread: The new talking Mercedes
15/11/2018 12:19:19

It is about time that all German car manufactures stopped putting mainly useless gimmicks in their cars and concentrated on providing good honest products that give good value for money and reasonable priced servicing.

Thread: Manual for Tom Senior E type
10/11/2018 09:24:21

Jeff

I am sending you a PM please look out for the inbox flashing on the top green row of option.

Eric

Thread: Another what is it
31/10/2018 11:22:11

Russell,

It is a crude type of adjustable wrench little used in this country but were once popular on the Continent.

A German engineer I once worked with contemptuously referred to it as "a Frenchman" - which says it all really!

Eric

Thread: O ring Pistons cylinder Clearance?
26/09/2018 08:48:33

+1 for the "no ring" sealing method described by Duncan Webster.

After reading the explanation of how this labyrinth seal system works in Henry Greenly's excellent book "Model engineering dating from 1915 (pages 117-119) I have used it for several model engines with great success.

Eric

Thread: The size and shape of drill holes
04/09/2018 09:30:41

My late Father, an expert toolmaker, taught me:

• don't measure a drill by its shank
  • seldom will any drill produce an accurately sized hole
  • always finish with an approptiate reamer to get an accurate hole.

This good advice has stood me in good stead for over 50 years.

Eric

Thread: Is there a new standard for taps?
01/09/2018 20:32:59

Robin,

Keep them and use them. I have bought several sets of these from ARC and find them very good. They reduce the risk of tap breakage in smaller sizes and reduce the effort needed especially in larger size e.g. 12mm.

I appreciate that all three have to be used in sequence but this is no trouble unless you are tapping a lot of holes.

Eric

Thread: Drill Press Buying Advice
28/08/2018 19:21:15

David,

"but second hand just isn’t my thing."

Why?

I would recommend some English made classic drill presses that I have used over the years. Fobco Star, Meddings, Startright. Elliot etc.
None of these suffered from the problem that you are experiencing. If you are a bit patient you will find a second-hand one of these makes in good condition.

I have owned a Meddings MB4 for 30 years and it totally rigid ( also very heavy) and15 very accurate - a pleasure to use.. I also inherited a Clarke drill similar to yours that has exactly the same fault so it only gets used occasionally with a Honda scissor jack supporting the front of the table.

I have found that most Far Eastern drills are very inferior to older English made ones most of which are now, sadly only obtainable second hand

Eric

Thread: Tool i/d and Mitutoyo vernier advice please.
23/08/2018 17:28:57

Phil,

The first item is a M&W triangular scraper which is part of a set of three small scrapers the others being a flat scraper and curved one. They are very desirable.

Can't help with the Mitutoyo dial calliper but like you say it was probably a standard item modified for some special purpose.

Eric

Thread: Which books
10/08/2018 14:47:30

The first book I bought (many years ago now) and found very useful was Using The Small Lathe by L C Mason. It takes the new lathe owner through all the turning methods likely to be needed. Very readable and superbly informative.

Also +1 for 'The Amateur's Lathe' by L h Sparey especially f you intend buying a Myford lathe.

.As you gain experience try The Model Engineer's Workshop Manual by G H Thomas.

Good luck

Eric

Thread: Reliance drill grinding attachment.
07/08/2018 09:02:03

I have sent you a PM

Eric

Thread: How to drill holes in ABS plastic without splintering?
04/08/2018 08:35:59

Are you sure the material is ABS?

I have worked with ABS for may years and have never found any difficulty in drilling holes in it using normal jobbers drills other than a bit of "rag" sometimes on the exit side. The material sown it the photo looks as if it has a lot of filler in it.

Eric

Thread: Myford G/Box Gears help.
18/07/2018 10:28:13

Noel,

I have sent you a PM

Eric

Thread: Using a tailstock chuck in a lathe mandrel
11/07/2018 09:01:24

Bob,

You are correct.

Fortunately Morse taper drill chuck arbors, threaded to take a drawbar, are readily available in common sizes and threads.

You can also buy a screw in tang for such arbors giving the best of both worlds.

I have bought several from Arc at very reasonable price sand have been very happy with them. (other suppliers may be available).

Eric

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Support Our Partners
Rapid RC
Eccentric Engineering
Dreweatts
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate