By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Stueeee

Here is a list of all the postings Stueeee has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Attachment value
31/12/2017 18:46:30
Posted by Benjamin Day on 31/12/2017 13:10:46:

Stueeee,
I am very new to this hobby and am still trying to work out exactly what im likely to need! What's the longest taper possible without the Attachment on an L5?

The longest taper from a continuous cut will be whatever the stroke is of the topslide on your lathe. You were very lucky to get two 127T wheels with your lathe -but that will be good luck for someone else when you pass one of them on.

Original accessories like changewheels, headstock bushes and steadies are often lost as machines go from owner to owner in my experience.

31/12/2017 12:24:22

I'm sure both of those items would sell almost instantly on ebay or elsewhere; but are you sure you won't ever need to cut a long taper or need the metric/imperial conversion for screwcutting from the 127T wheel?

Within reason, IMO, it's almost impossible to have too many attachments/accessories for any machine, as long as you have the storage space available. But if you thought that it would be almost impossible to walk across my workshop without stubbing your toe on some bit of "I'll need that one day" equipment you would probably be correctwink

Thread: Beginners TIG
12/07/2015 19:12:06

6 LPM should be enough for the Argon. I would probably use 60-70A for that thickness unless the lengths of box were really large and took away a lot of the heat when you start the arc.

Are the pieces of box absolutely clean? any dirt or millscale on the weld area gets pulled into the arc and really affects the quality/appearance of the finished weld.

Thread: Changewheels anyone ?.
22/06/2015 20:53:15

Hi, I have recently bought a DSG 17 x 36 which appears to be from the same era as your machine i.e. motor sticking out the end rather than behind the machine.

Here's a couple of pictures of the (standard for the indicated threads in the glass panel) changewheel setup on my machine.

DSG 17 x 36 changewheels

DSG changewheel setup alternative view

AFAIK, the bottom gear is the one which feeds the threading box; on my machine the feeds are a fraction of the selected thread, I have only run a 17T once, but seem to remember it being the same.

Thread: What did you do today (2015)
19/06/2015 14:01:00
Posted by OuBallie on 19/06/2015 12:41:48:

Stueeee,

Is the coolant to keep the head temp down while machining?

I used the pumped coolant to keep the tool tips cool, may not actually be necessary at the relatively low speed I was using, but the multiple 19mm Square carbide tips in that 8.5" facemill are excruciatingly expensive, so I tend to err on the side of caution when using it -The flood coolant does make for plenty of mess on the workshop floor though, even with guards fitted around the cutter and workface 7.

Thread: Thread chart
18/06/2015 23:04:50

Glad to see the threading chart pullout in the latest ME workshop. The one on my workshop wall (which came from a long ago MEW) has become yellowed and a bit coolant spattered so is getting rather hard for me to read!

old MEW wall chart

Keep up the good work!

18/06/2015 22:54:36

Today I machined a 1929 Ford model A cylinder head for a mate.

Ford A cylinder head on my Bridgeport

It was bought to me because it was warped, I could easily get an .008" feeler under the centre of the head when it was on my surface plate. But it needed .050" off to clean up the corrosion around the waterways on the head face -these motors must have seen years of no or at best minimal maintenance, so antifreeze not being changed (or even used) is bound to have left its mark.

An unlooked for minor drama whilst machining the head was one of the contactors burning out. I had noticed a slight burning Shellac aroma whilst working earlier and had checked that the spindle motor, coolant pump and table power feed motor weren't overheating. A while later a plume of smoke came out of the mill's electrics box, and this was the item responsible for the burnt Shellac smell.

burnt out contactor

A quick hunt through my "it'll come in useful one day box" turned up a contactor with a 415V coil which had came out of a old Schaublin lathe. Wrestled it into place on the Bridgeport and finished the cylinder head off rather later in the day than planned.

new contactor wired in

Still, all's well that ends well eh?

Edited By Stueeee on 18/06/2015 22:55:51

Thread: Bridgeport Contactor Problem
14/06/2015 19:49:25

Have you checked that the aux contact is making OK when the contactor is operated? Would have thought it has to be either a problem with the aux contact not making or the stop button (which usually just breaks the aux circuit when pressed) being permanently open circuit.

10/06/2015 21:31:06

Just got this finished today -it's a complete "spare" 4W toolpost for my S & B lathe -it's a complete unit that will just slide into the visible tee slot in the topslide.

4 way toolpost top view

4 way toolpost bottom view

I made the original (on the left in the photos) about 35 years ago just after I bought the lathe -the machine had come with an incomplete single way toolpost. The minimum order of this size of steel from the stockholder's turned out to be big enough to make three toolposts. Of course, once one was made, the other two pieces that I had cut with my donkey saw languished in the "short ends" box. Over the years, one of them has been lost in the couple of house/workshop moves since.

It wasn't any attack of engineering zeal that caused me to finally get round to making a second toolpost (which is now loaded with four different tools to create an alternative quick change tool setup). Two months ago I had an accident at home and had a short stay hospital stay where they kindly added some Titanium into my leg and put a plaster cast round it. I have discovered that being on crutches or in a wheelchair means that machining is still acheivable from a seated position, the only downside is being positioned at exactly the right level to get a facefull of hot swarf or coolant.

lathe with luxury seating

Not sure if this is the usage that the NHS had in mind when they issued my new workshop stool!

milling machine with seat

The plaster cast is off now, so looking forward to spending more "upright" time in the workshop once I get some more movement back in my foot.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest