By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Stueeee

Here is a list of all the postings Stueeee has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Why are insert toolholders so expensive?
11/09/2019 17:49:32
Posted by JasonB on 11/09/2019 13:57:47:

Thread would be better titled whey are "QUALITY or INDUSTRIAL" holders expensive

The APT ones are just mid range far eastern ones, probably no different to Glanze or ARC, I've one of theirs and it is fine for my use.. You can buy cheaper you can buy more expensive brand names, Andrew sums it up quite well why there are differences in price.

I think a lot of of "industrial" toolholders are of far eastern origin regardless of the price, certainly some of the major suppliers' own brands .

A catalogued toolholder I ordered from MSC Industrial a couple of years ago turned out to actually be shipped direct from APT when it arrived here.

There weren't any quality issues with the tool, but I did wonder just how much extra I had paid MSC where the "value add" amounted to a phone call or email from MSC to APT.

I have recently bought some 16ER/IR toolholders direct from China, they cost about 15% of the ones sold by MSC. The quality of these has been fine so far, albeit they haven't been in all day every day use.

Thread: Disposal of workshop contents
03/09/2019 13:27:45
Posted by Robert Atkinson 2 on 03/09/2019 07:15:11:

The best option as suggested by Guy is an auction sale. A clearance firm or dealer will pay rock bottom prices.

Certainly true in my limited experience. Following a workshop re-organisation I got to hear of several years ago,

I picked up a well tooled Colchester Bantam 1600 for my brother which had not had a great deal of use. -The dealers offer on this machine? £150

A fully tooled Elliot Victoria universal mill -this even had the compound dividing head and changewheels -The dealers offer on this -"no real demand for these, but I can take it off your hands". At that time I couldn't have accommodated a 60" table machine or I would have definitely bought this one for my own workshop.

The fact that the machinery was at an educational establishment where there may not have been an appreciation of machine tool values by the management may have been reason, but certainly not a justification, of these derisory offers from the dealer concerned who was advertising similar machinery with pricing quite some way into 4 figures at the time.

IMO, definitely worth going to an auction house if there's a reasonable amount of stuff in the workshop. I've bought stuff via Peaker Pattinson auctions in the past, they seemed to be a professional outfit -usual disclaimer applies.

Edited By Stueeee on 03/09/2019 13:38:31

Thread: Heidenhain scale repair
31/08/2019 13:20:22

I have a Heidenhain 731 DRO on one of my lathes. I have been told that the filament bulb used in the scales for these is quite special; not sure whether any LED would behave in the same way as a filament arrangement.

When I had an issue with one of my scales, after doing the usual stuff re cable connections etc. it had to go back for repair to Heidenhain, this was 12 or so years ago, and they were far more interested in selling me a (massively expensive) complete new DRO setup, rather than mending mine, although they did (expensively again) mend the scale with a two week turn round.

Thread: Outrageous?
21/08/2019 21:19:44

A recent experience I had leads me to believe that although there may be a huge number of far eastern sellers of a particular item on eBay, there may be a lot fewer actual suppliers of said item. Which might explain not only the inability to supply but also the same error from multiple sellers.

I ordered a 16mm square 16ER insert threading tool on eBay. this was advertised at less than a quarter of MSC Industrial's price. Then a 20mm square tool arrived; obviously too large for my S & B toolroom lathe. I went through the "return item" process with eBay to get a full refund, and then ordered a 16mm squre tool from a completely different supplier. Two weeks later, another 20mm square tool arrived! "return item" time again.

I came to the conclusion that a lot of these sellers are effectively retailers who call off items from a wholesale type operation when they get an order, and if those parts aren't in the correct bin, then the wrong part goes out time after time. Third time lucky with ordering the 16ER tool from yet another supplier, I received a 16mm square item this time.

BTW, all three of these tools appeared to be of good quality, and a quick try out with a European sourced 16ER insert indicated a good fit in the two "wronguns" as well as the one I'm using now.

Edited By Stueeee on 21/08/2019 21:23:06

Thread: The Current War (Film)
30/07/2019 13:01:25
Posted by Guy Lamb on 30/07/2019 12:50:36:
Posted by John Haine on 30/07/2019 08:22:39:

This was late 19th century America, not the playing fields of Eton! Ethics and fair play don't figure much in modern US business methods come to that.

Thank heavens for our Old Etonians! I say, you can jolly well rely on those chaps to be completely above board and thoroughly honest going, and when the chips are down and our backs are to the wall you can be sure they will have the little mans prosperity and livelihoods uppermost in their red boxes.

Can't you?

Guy

Hear hear! stated in the plummiest voice achievable with my tongue stuck firmly in my cheek.

Thread: Acetone
28/07/2019 14:00:10

I've bought Acetone 5 litres  at a time from Fibreglass Material suppliers in the past -the only solvent I know of for the polyester resin. Acetone still seems to be available in anything up to 205 litre drums;

**LINK**

Edited By Stueeee on 28/07/2019 14:00:43

Thread: Angle grinders - Dangerous or not
18/07/2019 11:16:50

Also the tool needs to be fit for purpose to be safe. This angle grinder bought new from eBay had a gearbox casing made of pure Chinesium. The first angle grinder arrived with a faulty switch, so I returned it. This is what happened to the replacement after 30 minutes use. This time I decided to cut out the middle man and threw it in the bin before buying a decent branded grinder.

Thread: Classified For Sale
02/07/2019 18:55:26
Posted by 34046 on 01/07/2019 08:57:54:

Past experience - sellers sometimes forget to remove when sold.

Bill

Quite likely I should think. On the three occasions I've contacted sellers expressing an interest in buying I've never received the courtesy of a reply.

Still, problem solved, I don't waste my time looking at the classifieds on this site now.

Thread: Smart & Brown Model A
17/05/2019 14:34:07

Some of the early mk 1s had a different arrangement for engaging the back gear. The power feed selector on the saddle is different too on the mk 1. More detail here: weblink

Either version in reasonable condition will be a rigid accurate machine.

Thread: Soft Solder v Silver Solder
09/05/2019 16:38:01
Posted by CuP Alloys 1 on 09/05/2019 15:54:06:

There is nothing illegal about using cadmium or lead bearing solders.

To supply or "place on the market" is when the fun starts. A trading entity cannot provide samples.

I am fast running out of Cadmium bearing Silver Solder. I travel to the USA regularly -Cadmium bearing Silver Solder is still available there. So from the statement above, it would be legally OK to bring some back for my own use -for the information of anyone with delicate H & S sensibilities, I won't be inhaling whilst using it.

Thread: Smart and brown lathe
16/04/2019 22:17:06

I have had a Model A Mk2 for more than 40 years now. It had been in a REME workshop where they only worked on huge commercial vehicles. So my lathe had seen very little use when I bought it at a government auction. It has done plenty of work for me since.

Thread: Bridgeport power feed
31/03/2019 09:26:53

Can't help with the original query, but can say that the "Align" X axis unit I fitted to my Bridgeport 12 or so years ago has been absolutely reliable during that time. Usual disclaimer -just a customer etc.

Thread: What is a good quality lathe paint
19/03/2019 17:26:17

+1 for Arc force paint. I use Arc Force paint on my machines too. They will do any BS or RAL colour. I've recently painted this newish to me lathe as part of the restoration process. This is BS Dark Admiralty Grey.

It is basically a spray paint but does brush on OK for smaller stuff. Available here -usual disclaimer.

**LINK**

Thread: Workshop insurance
17/03/2019 19:15:39

+1 for the importance of having proof regarding your tools and equipment if need to make a claim. My workshop was burgled several years ago. The scrotes stole a lot of my Snap-On spanners, sockets etc. I had bought these 30+ years ago when I was "hands on" at work. Even when told this, the insurance company requested receipts for all the tools or they weren't going to pay out. Unluckily for them I had previously taken a high definition photo of each open drawer in my tool cabinet, so they did replace all the tools which were stolen.

This insurance company (who I had been with for 12 or so years) pretty much added the claim amount to my renewal; this seemed to be more than taking the mickey to me. So in searching for another provider, I got to read a lot of small print as regards levels cover for the contents of outbuildings; quite a few limit outbuildings cover to £1000, which wouldn't cover my garden tractor let alone any tools and equipment.

I'm with Intelligent Insurance at the moment, my brother, who has much the same workshop kit is with Hiscox, neither of these companies are cheap, but a cheap policy could turn out to be an expensive but essentially worthless piece of paper IMO.

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
01/03/2019 13:55:04

A job I should have done years ago, but finally making this metal rack was triggered as a result of having to go through a whole heap of metal to find the 20mm Sq mild steel I knew I had somewhere. In looking for that I came across a huge amount of Brass, Bronze and Ali that I had forgotten I hadblush

[img][/img]

Edited By Stueeee on 01/03/2019 13:58:27

Edited By Stueeee on 01/03/2019 13:59:14

Thread: Model trains stolen - Kent
01/03/2019 13:01:29
Posted by DMB on 16/02/2019 21:43:35:

From the clubhouse photo, it looks like no window protection. Need secure shutters to (a) block view of contents, (b) prevent entry. Maybe belt and braces; weld vertical 10mm steel bars to the inside of the windows, taking advantage of the steel construction. They could/should have an alarm which uses a sim card to auto dial the alarm company and a nominated member. Really good padlocks on the door and at least two preferably different makes or at least not with a common key.

John

I'm a member of GMMES, I was shocked to be told of this theft by a neighbour of mine today. Our clubhouse does have steel shutters on the outside, but the locomotives and tools were kept in separate shipping containers on the same site. Leaving aside the financial value, I can't imagine how the members must feel who've had items stolen that they've put countless hours of work into constructing.

Thread: What to buy at Ikea?
30/01/2018 19:05:22
Posted by Bazyle on 26/01/2018 23:23:25:

I thought maple was a nice hardwood?

These drawer sets that are suggested above - are they real metal or plastic? Can't tell from the pictures.

The Helmer drawers are steel. I have two sets of them bolted together storing taps, dies and thread chasers. They're a useful size being bigger than the Bisley drawers. The Helmer drawers are made of thin sheet. I put thin plywood liners in the base of mine.

Thread: London model engineering exhibition
20/01/2018 16:14:29

Well I was there yesterday. Having spotted that there were a several odd cans of (presumably confiscated) beer on the floor under the bag searchers table, I just swiftly marched past said bag searchers and kept my 'lunchtime lubrication' cans of Speckled Hen in my backpack .

Not sure why they would feel the need to confiscate beer, if there have been any cases of 'Model Engineering hooliganism' at this or other ME shows, they must have happened when I wasn't looking. Always a good day out though, but the show did seem to be fewer trade stalls this year.

Thread: R8 ER32 collet chuck
16/01/2018 14:28:22

That's interesting. In the past, I have ordered turning tools from MSC Industrial, which have then been dispatched direct from APT. Prompted by your post, I've just looked at their website, the prices do look attractive.

Thread: Attachment value
31/12/2017 18:46:30
Posted by Benjamin Day on 31/12/2017 13:10:46:

Stueeee,
I am very new to this hobby and am still trying to work out exactly what im likely to need! What's the longest taper possible without the Attachment on an L5?

The longest taper from a continuous cut will be whatever the stroke is of the topslide on your lathe. You were very lucky to get two 127T wheels with your lathe -but that will be good luck for someone else when you pass one of them on.

Original accessories like changewheels, headstock bushes and steadies are often lost as machines go from owner to owner in my experience.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Advertise With Us
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Meridienne oct 2019
TRANSWAVE Converters
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest