By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for ANDY CAWLEY

Here is a list of all the postings ANDY CAWLEY has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Machining nylon bar stock
12/06/2015 01:24:13

Machining PTFE I used high speeds ( 800rpm on 90mm dia) and quite hig feeds ( sorry I don't have numbers) and a very sharp tangential cutting tool in HSS. Nylon could easily be similar.

Thread: Helical twist forces?
11/06/2015 19:34:05

Allen Scythes are dreadful! I had a summer holiday job on the council grass cutting gang and managed to drive one into the river as the dog clutch would not release when the was any load on the dogs. As I hung grimly onto the bars, with the clutch lever released but the drive dogs still hanging on the narrow tyres slowly cut through the river bank whilst still spinning. The inevitable happened when the carburettor intake sunk below the surface. The resulting hydraulic lock comprehensively wrecked the engine😒

I was not popular!

Thread: What did you do today (2015)
11/06/2015 10:56:12

image.jpgTangential tool holder, ground surface finished off with a diamond file.

11/06/2015 01:25:02

image.jpg

Look  carefully at the pile of white Swarf on the chest of drawers. It flew in a continuous stream about 4 feet from the lathe. I think it's the first time I laughed out loud whilst turning something in the lathe.

I was turning some PTFE discs about  90mm in diameter at 800 rpm😃

I videoed it and uploaded it to utube but couldn't work out hou to post it here  look up Anzaniste1 if you want a laugh..

Edited By ANDY CAWLEY on 11/06/2015 01:26:44

Edited By ANDY CAWLEY on 11/06/2015 01:38:41

Thread: Workshop Flooring
10/06/2015 05:48:30

I have several items on castors. Do they work on the vynal floor or do the castors sink in when they have stood in one spot for a time?

05/06/2015 08:03:54

Martin, that's exactly right. The trick is to get the tyre pressure low enough to get maximum grip but high enough to stop the tyre rotating on the rim. We then have to pump the pressure up to go on the public road to drive to the next section.

04/06/2015 19:03:09

Geoff, the shocks are off the back of my 1925 Frazer Nash.

image.jpg

Edited By ANDY CAWLEY on 04/06/2015 19:07:59

03/06/2015 07:31:42

Yesterday actually. Made bushes for friction shock absorbers. Lignum vitae is particularly satisfying to turn giving a lovely silky finish. It's almost a shame to hid them at the end of a shock absorber😊Bush.jpg

Thread: EMG-12 Endmill Re-sharpening module
28/05/2015 06:00:19

Posted by John Stevenson on 27/05/2015 22:43:22

As regards the striations brought up by various people it is of no consequence to the finish as milling cutters are not ground flat across the face but a very shallow inverted vee with the outside corner being the lowest so in effect although the whole of the cutter is removing material the corner is doing the finishing just like a fly cutter.

NEXT wink

Which explains why what looks like a sharp cutter except for the corners gives a crap finish!

Aha!👍💡

Thread: Case Hardening
25/05/2015 19:09:07
Posted by JohnF on 21/05/2015 22:32:26:

Hi Chris, have a look at this link and the links within the post there is a lot of detail and you can search the forum for case hardening, you will find a lot more posts.

**LINK**

John

Never a day wasted when you learn something.

I now know that close contact with the steel and the carbon rich pack is not as essential as I had always imagined.

I was interested to learn that carbon went from carbon monoxide into the steel freeing up the oxygen to make more carbon monoxide and so on.

Clever innit?

Thread: Vernier gauge testing.
24/05/2015 21:11:37

Sciince the only thing you are doing is trying to get through scrutineering you need to be able to argue with a scrutineered (in the nicest possible way) if you have a difference. I would acquire a slip gauge that I took to meetings and be able to show that my measurement was accurate against a known standard.

A possible source of inaccuracy using the method described is that of the narrow knife edge of the caliber cutting into the solder not to mention the distortion caused by cropping the solder. A ball ended micrometer tightened up using the ratchet would be more controlled than the method you describe.

Oooh I could be real trouble in the paddock!😉

24/05/2015 10:14:20

Surely the simple answer to the GoCart problem is to use a proper micrometer, they don't really cost a lot of money.

Thread: Case Hardening
21/05/2015 20:53:30

What is it about old leather that makes it a good case hardening medium? Is it something to do with the chemicals that are used for tanning?

Thread: Which (classic?) (Turret?) Milling Machine?
21/05/2015 20:23:58

Russ, if you live within striking distance of Doncaster, come and look at my Centec which will be for sale. No obligation for looking.

PM me if you are interested.

Thread: Major Systems Update at ARC
21/05/2015 20:08:13
Posted by John Stevenson on 21/05/2015 18:47:45.

Not so sure about that. 90% of what the science museum owns will never see the light of day.

They probably only have a third now on display to what they had 30 years ago. The whole of the top floor which was aviation, planes and engines all over, is now occupied by 6 ordinary desktop computers in big desks telling you about green technology.

It's a freeking museum for Christs sake. Makes you wonder who's idea that was and what kickback they got ??

If you want see stuff like there used to be, in proper glass display cases, the place to visit is the Musee des Arts et Metiers in Paris. It's just like the Science Museum used to be with lots of proper old machinery there.

Edited By ANDY CAWLEY on 21/05/2015 20:11:10

Thread: How to measure bores
08/05/2015 22:25:13

image.jpg

Look for one of these on eBay  it is a Coventry Gauge Micro Maag.. 

Believe it or not I paid about 40 quid!!!

Edited By ANDY CAWLEY on 08/05/2015 22:26:55

Edited By ANDY CAWLEY on 08/05/2015 22:31:47

03/05/2015 19:04:06
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 03/05/2015 18:36:20:

Cor!

I leave you lot alone for a few days and already the forum has gone to the dogs.

Neil

laughlaughlaughlaugh

Thread: Milling a part-sphere with a boring head?
02/05/2015 00:15:24

Jeff, surely it's the adjusting screw that stops the thing from flying apart?

I did see the Arc Euro extension bar and have stored it away for future reference however we do not always have the luxury of doing things the "perfect" way.sad

01/05/2015 18:55:15

MSC Industrial Supply do do them but they are not shown in their online catalogue, they are however in their paper catalogue but only in 12mm shanks not 1/2".

I've just done a recent job where I had a similar need and couldn't wait ( and spend the dosh) so I tightened up the boring head on the shank using a big adjustable whilst holding the shank in the lathe chuck.

All held and I was taking an intermittent cut.

Timing case spigot.jpgThe material was aluminium and I took the precaution of taking light cuts.

Thread: Coventry Gauge Micro Maag
01/05/2015 18:34:34

Still cant get text below photo!embarrassed

I was at this point that I discovered that the black sleeve will not slide when the measuring prongs are tight home on the bore.

It seems that the method is:-

1. Wind the thimble fully out.
  2. pull the slider back.
  3. Insert the measuring head into the bore.
  4. Wind the thimble in until resistance is met
  5. Check that the slider will not pull back

Now that is really clever because it diminishes the need for "feel".

Edited By ANDY CAWLEY on 01/05/2015 18:35:58

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Meridienne oct 2019
ChesterUK
TRANSWAVE Converters
Ausee.com.au
Warco
cowbells
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest