By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for ANDY CAWLEY

Here is a list of all the postings ANDY CAWLEY has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Electric motor help needed
07/03/2016 23:16:23

Gosh what a helpful lot you all are, I've just got to my emails and seen how many replies there are. I appreciate everyone's concern for my safety, thank you.

The dismantle and check the centrifugal switch appeals to me as a first off. I certainly have not heard any clicking of a centrifugal switch and anyway I am the eternal optimist. I'll report back in due course.

By the way John Fletcher, are you the Riley man from Lincolnshire?

07/03/2016 04:34:11

Thanks Emgee, I'd thought of that and the motor ran without being connected to the saw then tripped after a few seconds. I hadn't thought of the windings shorting to earth. How would I test for that? I have a multi meter but haven't a clue where to connect itsad

07/03/2016 00:06:55

This electric motor is fitted to my Kennedy power saw

.image.jpeg

It only runs for a few seconds then it trips out. It can be reset by pressing the red button.

image.jpeg

On resetting it only runs for a few seconds  

Is it something that can be fixed, if so what do I do. I am a complete electrical novice so will need sympathetic guidance!!!

Edited By ANDY CAWLEY on 07/03/2016 00:08:18

Edited By ANDY CAWLEY on 07/03/2016 00:10:40

Edited By ANDY CAWLEY on 07/03/2016 00:14:00

Edited By ANDY CAWLEY on 07/03/2016 00:16:42

Thread: Flying Scotsman on its way to York
28/02/2016 12:16:57
Steam is white coming out of the chimney going through our villagesmiley

Edited By ANDY CAWLEY on 28/02/2016 12:18:14

Thread: Onshape CAD
04/02/2016 18:18:25

I'm on holiday in France and just joined Onshape with no problems, got confirmation email virtually instantly. I'm on my iPad so will be interested to see what happens on my PC when I get back home. A quick tour round the tutorials etc is looking good to a total CAD newbie like me.

Thread: Lathe tachometer
10/12/2015 07:54:54

I calibrated the numbered dial on my speed control by measuring the rpm by using a longish piece of all thread, a loose nut and a stop watch.

Measure and mark a suitable length on the all thread using a marker pen then time the nut running between the marks. The all thread is gripped in the chuck and for safeties sake the opposite end is in the tail stock barrel The lathe is run with the pointer on the various marks and the nut held by hand to run it down the thread whils timing. A chart can then be made.

Simples, may not be super accurate but good enough for setting a lathe speed.

Thread: What did you do today (2015)
30/09/2015 10:01:57
Posted by Windy on 30/09/2015 09:14:19:

Was brought a push bike to weld a broken frame seems I'm getting some beer tokens when I go to the local church tonight.

Next job to modify some new TR6 bonnet hinges so instead of removing numerous bolts and loosing bonnet settings the riveted pivot hinge is replaced with a removable pivot bolt.

In a few weeks will be watching some more high speed motorcycle etc. frolics at UK holy grail of record attempts at Elvington airfield.

Then end of October Coniston calls and hope to see a friend attempt the full size steam powered water speed record if he can sort some hopefully minor problems first.

Paul

Any Idea what day that is likely to be. We are usually in the Lakes for the VSCC Lakeland Trial at that time.

Thread: Turret clock identification
28/09/2015 19:21:42

Michael & Martin,

That is just the info I was hoping for, the name is even familiar from all that time ago!

Thanks.

28/09/2015 05:03:30

Michael, thank you.

Bar / strip, what's in a name, the point is that it is hot rolled and therefore cheap and cheerful and available at my local agricultural merchants. The Cotehele clock is just the sort of thing I was looking for, it should give me some sort of reference to start from.

27/09/2015 17:20:33

Thanks for that Neil, my picture was a bit muddy!

John, your concept is quite interesting but is almost the opposite of what I was interested in. The use of black bar was actually what rang my bell (oops sorry). The really early clocks were in effect blacksmith made and using tapered peg locked mortise joints equated to what they did.

The chap in the background was, I believe, the builder of the clock.

Edited By ANDY CAWLEY on 27/09/2015 17:22:05

27/09/2015 08:10:02

image.jpegDoes any body recognise this clock. It was on a stand at a model engineering (Midlands I think) exhibition a few years ago. Was its construction published any where. I'm particularly interested in the method of frame and grear construction and have nothing to scale the size if stock from which it is constructed.

My memory tels me that the gears were made from hot rolled strip and just bent into a circle using a vice and a gas axe! That is what I  would really like to know more about 

Edited By ANDY CAWLEY on 27/09/2015 08:22:09

Thread: How necessary is 3D?
25/08/2015 16:06:27

What is an 8 bit micro controller?

20/08/2015 04:04:12

Spent Wednesday tootling around Cheshire in the GN in company with a dozen other like minded eccentrics. Thursday we will visit Jodrell Bank in the morning. The group is staying in the Manor at Alsager if any locals want a look.

04/08/2015 03:31:23

Oh dearie me! Ran a big end on the M69 returning from Prescott Hill Climb.angry Will have to see if we can break yo record for engine removal and strip down as we are off to France in it for another hill climb in a couple of weekssmiley

Edited By ANDY CAWLEY on 04/08/2015 03:32:50

29/07/2015 23:08:28

Drove the 'Nash for the first time for 4 1/2 years!😃. Why did I take so long to rebuild it?image.jpg

Thread: Brass plug
12/07/2015 01:23:45
Posted by alan smith 6 on 10/07/2015 16:17:02:

Russell,

Most vintage car drivers with cars having a good power to weight ratio are hooligans. The Frazer Nash boys are super hooligans!

Best,

Alan

'Ere I resemble that remark.😉

07/07/2015 14:40:02

Clive, Is that swarm upside down or is it Australian?wink

Thread: Pop up ad on home page
16/06/2015 11:45:24

Neil, Please pass on my thanks to your company for their enlightened attitude, they listen to their customers.

A zillion times better than a certain electricity supply company that are currently driving me mad by their couldn't give a stuff about the customer approach to life ! (Npower if you want to know)

15/06/2015 22:32:07

I too find it very irritating, it pop s up before you get chance to log on😡

I have been a subscribe both direct as now and I the past from my news agent for a good few years now, how about a loyalty bonus of 3 cut price issues? Am I alone in feeling short changed by all these freebies to new subscribers?

Thread: Machining nylon bar stock
12/06/2015 10:25:30

There is a photo on the "What did you do today page of the pile of swarf that landed 4 feet awaysmiley

Edited By ANDY CAWLEY on 12/06/2015 10:27:00

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
TRANSWAVE Converters
ChesterUK
cowbells
Meridienne oct 2019
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest