By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for ANDY CAWLEY

Here is a list of all the postings ANDY CAWLEY has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Turning a tapered tube queries
25/11/2018 10:46:36

I have a couple of tapered tubular bearing spacers to make, approx length 65mm, major dia 38mm and minor diameter 25 ( both outside) and a wall thickness of 3mm.

My plan is to use some 2" steel stock that I have to hand.

Chuck in the four jaw and drill through 19 mm. Then set the compound over at the appropriate angle and turn the taper. As far as I can see I will have to turn with the major diameter away from the chuck.

I do not have the benefit of a steady.

Beyond personal pride dimentional tolerance and surface finish is not critical.

Should I turn the outside or the inside first.

My lathe is a sturdy industrial lathe. ( a Leinen LZ4S without taper turning )

What snags does anyone see.

Thread: Teaching a 17 year old how to use a lathe
30/06/2018 08:45:43

My 17 year old nephew has inherited, from a distant relative, a fully equipped Myford Super 7 complete with screw cutting gearbox, vertical slide etc.

He said " Uncle Andy will you show me how to use it?"

Where do I start and and carry on.

I did not serve time on the tools when I did my engineering at college and am a self taught (with book learning behind me) machinist. Amateur I hasten to add.

Edited By ANDY CAWLEY on 30/06/2018 08:47:07

Thread: Smart and brown model L belt change
22/02/2018 05:55:02

Tractor Man, please can you tell me the name or the firm in Doncaster as I live very near and I have a flat belt requirement.

Thread: John Stevenson
21/10/2017 19:00:45

Get well soon, someone else needs to keep the CVA flag flying.

Thread: Chuck RPM counter
12/07/2017 09:02:24

I checked the rpm on my Chinese lathe at zero cost as I had some threaded rod on stock. I chucked the longest length practicable in the lathe and then measured and marked a known length on it. I then positioned a nut at the end mark and turned the lathe on whilst holding the nut. The time taken to traverse the marks on the threaded rod was then used, knowing the pitch of the thread, was used to calculate the rpm. I did this for all the speeds and made a chart that I hung on the wall. It was remarkably easy to do. The timing was also repeatable.

It was a very long time ago so I can't remember any of the details. 

Edited By ANDY CAWLEY on 12/07/2017 09:03:43

Thread: new Harrison L6 mk3
16/01/2017 17:51:13

James, it depends on your budget. I was shocked at the current price of one of these Digital Convertors. I remember thinking very hard when I bought mine a few years ago, it was about three or four times the cost of the cheaper inverters at the time and in the end I plumped for the expensive route. I think the cost is in the same ball park today.

Have a look at the website and their ebay shop.

You pays yer money...........................................................................!

16/01/2017 16:44:52

Well, I followed the advice and rang the Drives Direct technical help line. What wonderfully helpful chap I spoke to, I can't praise them highly enough.

It turned out that I had bought from them, all those years ago, a Digital Phase Converter, which, now I think about it I do remember and it wasn't cheap. This device rather than an inverter has what is in effect a"plug and play" capability.

I remember now I bought a Converter rather than an inverter because I didn't want to have to buy a separate gadget to match each individual 3 phase machine that I might buy in the future. Not a cheap route but now I understand a bit more a very good decision.

I now have a 400 volt 3 phase plug socket on the wall that I can plug any machine upto 5 HPC into.

There is no need to mess about converting to Delta, the stop start button and the remote panic button on my mill work, my lathe has 3 speed 3 hp 3pase motor on it which does not give any problems. Following my conversations today I can now, at the press of a button, reverse the motors.

To say I understand it would be something of an exaggeration but I now know better how to make it work thanks to the technical assistance from Drives direct. I have no connection with them other than as a very satisfied customer

Not a cheap piece of kit on the first purchase but it will run any machine individually which is what most of us shed engineers do any way, just plug and play😀.

15/01/2017 08:37:26

Alan,thanks for that.

Converting to delta looks like a probability for my motor.

As for the manual I do have one but it might as well be written in Sanskrit as I don't really understand it. I must ring Drives Direct, they were very helpful when I bought the magic box from them.

14/01/2017 23:13:04

img_2919.jpgSorry to muscle on in this thread but it is discussing a similar problem I have with my new (to me) Tom Senior M1 mill. This is a picture of the motor plate.

img_2920.jpg'

This is a picture of the wire terminals in side the motor.

img_2918.jpg

This is the switch box on the side of the machine.

Oh dear I am having iPad problems, the switch box picture has jumped to the start of the thread.

My question is will I be able to convert this motor to delta?

Am I right in assuming this switch box won't work with an inverter?

Edited to add, my inverter has 4 wire plus an earth wire coming out of it, the motor on the mill has 3 wire coming out of it. Any advice gratefully recieved.r

Edited By ANDY CAWLEY on 14/01/2017 23:17:59

Thread: Cheap but decent Mini Tape Measure
09/01/2017 20:35:15

Gosh! This thread has brought back memories. When we measured and marked steel bridge ropes ( on a prestressing track 1/4 mile long) our unit of measurement was one hundredth of a foot. All our measuring tackle was specially produced. We had elaborate duplicated calculation sheets on which the customer's dimensions were calculated and temperature corrected and the duplicate calculation sheets were checked against each other. We didn't have fancy electric calculators in those days.

We claimed to be able to put a mark on a rope to within 6mm (yes millimetres) in rope lengths in excess of the aforementioned quarter of a mile . With out the sophisticated facilities we had it would have been difficult to check. However we also measured the boom suspension ropes on huge dragline excavators. They were supplied in pairs and any tiny difference in length showed a hundred fold in the catenary sag so we're weren't at all bad

Thread: What Did You Do Today (2017)
02/01/2017 21:11:42

Getting shed ready for new to me Ton Senior M1. Thinking of puttin mill and lathe in middle of shed rather than round the sides.

Thread: Mystery Small Capstan Lathe
02/01/2017 21:07:31

Thanks Neil😀.

02/01/2017 20:42:58

Has anybody got any idea what this is?

IT's not really on its side. It is however cluttering up my shed!,

img_2905.jpg

Edited By Neil Wyatt on 02/01/2017 21:01:44

Thread: Dyson sets up college to tackle skills shortage
04/11/2016 18:03:39

There is mor information here

http://www.utcolleges.org/about/schools/

04/11/2016 18:00:39

There are new schools being built that address the problem that we all identify here.

Two of my grand sons have transferred from an ordinary secondary school to http://www.utcsheffield.org.uk/curriculum/here

The engineering facilities are fantastic both conventional and cnc, there is even one class room with a production line facility in it !

I have to say I felt a considerable amount of envy and pride for my grandkids.

My understanding is that there are more similar schools being built around the country. There is hope yet !!

Thread: adhesive for Teflon/PTFE
30/10/2016 05:07:23
from getting a mouthful of reagentPosted by mark smith 20 on 29/10/2016 20:58:52:

Raymond , all i can say is you must be very lucky. HSE didnt seem to exist years ago.

I remember playing with mercury like it was play dough or something. My father in law said when he was studying chemistry they used to suck up sodium cyanide in a glass burette by mouth!

Didn't we used to suck stuff up with a pipette not a burette. I recall that a burette had a tap on it and a pipette had a bulge in the middle to stop the careless sucker getting a mouthful of reagent. Now that was proper elf 'n' safety

Thread: Just musing
30/10/2016 04:16:27

The second day into a fortnights tootle round France I was congratulated by a Dutchman on my marriage.

It appeared that someone (my niece) had written "just married" on the back of the van in lipstick, very funny as we have been wed for 49 1/2 years!🙄.

We left the sign on as it made us lots of new pals!!!!!!!😀

Thread: Draughting Pens
22/05/2016 22:57:36

60odd years ago when I was a small boy my dad was the deputy borough surveyor and was involved in clearing out an old drawing office. He brought home a load of old linen plans that my mum cut up and boiled starch ( that's my small boy's memory) out of it and made beautiful linen hankies.

I don't know what that has to do with the op but mention of linen drawings brought the memory back!

Thread: Deliberate mistakes
18/05/2016 09:57:14

It's banter, dear boy, which by definition is good natured. Surely we are all of that persuasion😉

It's not badinage as that implies wit.

Thread: Windows 10 forced upgrade
18/05/2016 09:44:48

Just over a week ago W10 forced its way onto my computer two days before I went on a three week holiday. Needless to say there were all sorts of problems associated with the normally simple tasks that I carry out on my computer. I wasted several hours trying to do stuff that normally takes minutes and even then I did not manage to do all the stuff that was needed before I went on holiday. I use Office 365 and surprisingly that seemed to be the root of my problems that and copying files to different locations. My nephew, bless him, who usually helps me out in extemis, said " Bring the box round to me, go on holiday and when you get back it will be fixed. "

Phew! Arn't I jammy.

OK so Microsoft need an updated system for various reasons and I was going to up grade at a time of my choosing but what makes me really angry is that they arrogantly steal my precious time at a most inconvenient moment.

GRRRR,😡😩

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Warco
Ausee.com.au
Meridenne Boat 2019
cowbells
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest