By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for ANDY CAWLEY

Here is a list of all the postings ANDY CAWLEY has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Good morning
15/08/2020 08:08:04
Posted by Tom Walker 1 on 13/08/2020 19:33:05:

Well Tim, Im not an engineer, so "weedy" was my definition of choice!laugh

Im used to my machinery starting rapidly.

Thanks, Tom.

I should say so Tom with Hisso power😄❗️

My simple way of checking rpm is to chuck a length of threaded bar and put a nut on it. Mark a length on it, set the lathe going , grab the nut so that it runs between the two marks and time it. From the distance and the pitch you can calculate the number of revolutions.

The longer the length the more accurate but beware of the potential of a long thin length flailing if you rev it too mutch. To be safe I usually have the end of the rod inside the taper socket.

See you at Mallory❓❓❓

Thread: Which Lathe???
02/07/2020 11:46:30

Anyone looking to buy a second hand industrial lathe(or even a brand new chinese offering) suitable for a home workshop could do a lot worse than look at the Leinen LZ4S that is currently advertised on homeworkshop.org situated in Halifax. I have no connection with the advert other than the fact that I own one also and think its a brilliant piece of kit. See what Tony has to say about them on lathes.co.uk.

If anybody on here buys it I would love to hear from them.

Thread: Workshop Disposal in South Yorkshire
29/05/2020 09:24:14

I have been asked by a friend of a friend to help dispose of the contents a complete workshop. It includes a 6" lathe, a large mill drill, a band saw and a very complete range of tools. It would be a perfect start for anybody wanting to equip a workshop in one go. The machines look to be virtually unused but in pristine condition. If you are interested or know anybody who might be interested please PM me and I will pass on the information.

I have no interest other than to see the kit go to a good home.

Thread: Tom Senior Advice needed
23/05/2020 11:16:43

All this bold talk of cutting an internal Acme thread myselfembarrassed, I gave in and found Richard Stewart of shotmaster.com who is going to do the job for me. My excuse is that I'm comparatively cash rich compared to my time poverty.!

Thanks to all who offered really useful advice, I'll let you know when I'm up and running.

Thread: Sharpening Fine tooth slitting Saws
22/05/2020 12:59:56

Ahasurprise

22/05/2020 10:34:37

Nobody seems to have suggested kissing the periphery of the blade with a rotary grind stone whilst the saw is mounted in its working position. If the eccentricity is so small would it blunt the proud cutting tooth(teeth) that much?

It would surely only reduce the clearance on the offending teeth.

Would that matter so much.

It should eliminate that annoying drring, drring, drring noise that you get when using a slitting saw. I've not tried it as I only just thought of the ideas.

Debate?

Thread: Set up tool???
21/05/2020 10:12:34

I seem to recall a similar idea either on here or in HSM or MEW or some such where the centering rod was held at its pivot point by silicone adhesive. I think it was a bit of square tube with the maximum size hole drilled across it, the end of the tube filled with silicone and the wiggler pushed through the cross drilled hole. The square tube was of a size that it fitted in a tool holder.

Edited By ANDY CAWLEY on 21/05/2020 10:13:59

14/05/2020 18:47:24

Hopefully my three phase Leinen LZ4S lathe should cope with the job in hand, it's quite sturdysmiley. I will take care and walk up to the job rather than rushing in, thanks for the heads up though.yes

13/05/2020 17:42:57

Old Mart, Thanks for your advice. Fear not there will be much practicing before the thread is cut in anger. I've got to learn hoe to cut a 5 tpi thread on my lathe.

The thrust bearings on both lead screws are in fine fettle so there is no problem in that direction.

I wasn't sure if I could actually cut a 5tpi thread on my Leinen lathe at home with its 3mm pitch lead screw. I discovered, on the lathes.co.uk web site, a calculator that did the job for me. You input your lead screw, the thread you want to achieve, your whole collection of change gears, the pitch error you are prepared to accept, press the button and bingo there you are.smileyyes

Gears.jpeg

Not bad eh?

I'm off to do some experimentation now.

Weston Super Mare is quite a distance from Doncaster especially during lockdown!!!!!

12/05/2020 23:50:25

Good old Tracey Tools, that’s where I ordered mine from. I recognised that tapping would be tricky straight from scratch and having worked out that with the change wheels for my metric lathe at home I an cut a 5 tip thread I thought I would give it a go🤞

The fact that I have only one nut housing is pointing me towards my original idea of a flanged nut with a slit and “solid hinge”, we shall see.

Out of curiosity which museum is referred to in your post.

12/05/2020 15:14:17

Well! I've ordered an Acme tap, what could possibly go wrong.laugh.

12/05/2020 10:06:41

How do I delete the extra post?

12/05/2020 10:04:58

Bazyle, you have called me out, if I had a Ferrari it would not make me a formula one driverembarrassedsmiley.

The CVA is in my son,s business premises so in lockdown out of bounds.

You have made me think thoughthinking.

Old Mart, I get the principle of what you say and it's good, I'm not sure I understand your photos in detail.

a) I'm not sure how the steel component fits the machine.

b) Is the 40 tpi thread on the outside of the bronze nut illustrated and on the inside of the steel component.?

c) Is the steel component reduced in diameter so that it fits in the housing on the machine.?

d) Is there an acme thread in the reduced diameter of the the steel component?

Have I got it completely wrong? Sorry to be so gormless

11/05/2020 08:49:02

Belville washers, hmmmm, now there's a thought!

I cant see anything dramatically against the idea, can anyone else?

I would be able to use the old nut if I can think of a way of making a suitable housing. I like the idea in principle all I have to do is figure out the detail. Thats the tricky bit.thinkingdont know

Thread: Taper Pins
10/05/2020 22:31:56

Not Done it Yet, yes of course it does. I apologise for not looking picking up on it. It is an ace feeling isn’t it❓😉✅

Edited By ANDY CAWLEY on 10/05/2020 22:33:05

Thread: Adhesive for rubber sheet?
10/05/2020 19:53:32

There is a locktite product that does the trick. I used some to glue a rubber strip to a strap that held a petrol tank in place on a vintage car. Sadly I can’t rememberers the number but the Loctite technical advise team have always been very helpful in my experience.

10/05/2020 18:48:44

Bazyle, I know what you mean about the tilting nut I frowned when I had to adjust the play on my CVA toolroom lathe the first time but decided if it was good enough for CVA who was I, a mere amateur, to be critical.

I think I see what you're getting at when you ask about spare thread. If the flange was on the righthand side you wouldn't be able to get at it to adjust without virtually removing the table. The thicker I can make the flange the more wear resistance there will be however I'm not an industrial user so that shouldn't be a problem.

Thread: Taper Pins
10/05/2020 18:14:43

Nobody has mentioned the pleasure that fitting a taper pin into a freshly reamed hole gives. Maybe I'm an old saddo but it always brings a smile to my facesmiley.

I have only used pins around 1/4" to 5/16" and never felt the need to use a tapered drill.

Keep smiling and keep safe.

10/05/2020 17:59:19

I had a look at Old Mart's thread "Start of Tom Senior Refurbishment" and his backlash adjuster and as he says it reduces table travel quite a bit. I had this in mind:-

fe1dcfdf-182a-4d0e-922b-15c824dc9633.jpeg

Forgive the crude sketch, my idea is to have the nut made with as large a flange as I can get away with left on the nut which will be almost slit off; a small amount of metal left which will produce a "solid" hinge. At the opposite side to the hinge there will be a grub screw which goes through the flange and bears against the nut housing. Tightening the grubscrew will take up any slack. The flange will be at the lefthand outboard end of the machine and will only reduce travel by the thickness of the flange.

I hope the terminology is understandableembarrassed.

What do you all think, do not be afraid to be as critical as you like, I'm slightly dubious myself. If it doesnt work I can always chop the extra bit off and it will be a standard nut which served Tom Seniors for a long time.

Edited to add my sketch is the wrong way round embarrassed, the flange should be on the lefthand side to be more correct.

Edited By ANDY CAWLEY on 10/05/2020 18:02:21

09/05/2020 21:20:50
PpPosted by Simon Williams 3 on 09/05/2020 18:54:28:

Old Mart - good evening.

Does making the X axis back-lash free mean that it is possible to go climb milling?

Best rgds Simon

That is my hope🤞

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
EngineDIY
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest