By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for nipper

Here is a list of all the postings nipper has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: 5" Shay Boiler
29/05/2011 13:35:47
Hi derek. I have designed a boiler for a Shay that a friend is buiding . this boiler is now part built. What is the problem.
29/05/2011 13:35:46
Hi derek. I have designed a boiler for a Shay that a friend is buiding . this boiler is now part built. What is the problem.
Thread: injector design
01/04/2011 19:02:29
Sorry about some misunderstanding but I meant skim the inside of the steam cone flange to increase penetration. We will see.
31/03/2011 19:54:48
Thanks for the comments. I have measured the steam cone bore and while it should be .041 (59 drill) a 58 will pass while a 57 will not so I am only about .002" out. I will skim the inner face of the cone and see how it goes. I have made 7 of these injectors and have 2 that work OK at 100psi, 4 untested and the one I am fiddling with so we will see. As the bore is too large, putting the reamer back in is not an option.
30/03/2011 19:32:59
Thanks John and MGJ. I made the injector to the DAG Brown dimensions, or so I thought, so I will check the size. At least it sounds as if shims are not going to sort it out. I may try machining the inner face of the cone just to see what happens but it seems a new cone is required. I will post the results but not for a few weeks.
30/03/2011 13:29:29
I have made a successful injector but it will only work up to 70psi. I really need it to operate up to 100psi. It runs dry between 40 and 70 but as the pressure builds up it starts to drip and at 90psi it has full overflow. How can I fix it.

nipper
Thread: What is the truth about "Tich"and "Minnie"?
28/12/2010 15:23:27
Hi Howard.
There seems to be plenty of entrenched attitudes out there. How self opinionated  and unhelpful club members are,  if they don't treat me right I will never go again etc. I think that the trend is towards more accurate models but there will always be room for others, after all most start with something basic and work up. My philosophy is that you should build what you want to build, model engineering is a marathon not a sprint, consequently spending several years building something that you don't actually want can be very frustrating. Meanwhile If Tich is the one for you I am sure the club would offer sensible advice.
Best Regards Nipper
Thread: welsh narrow gauge locomotive design
28/12/2010 11:19:15
Hi Steve.. thanks for the prompt reply.  I had forgotten about this engine and it does make a good chunky model. I am not a beginner but am looking for something simple and a tank engine. My days of leaning over a long tender to drive are about over. Thanks again and the best of luck with it. Nipper.
28/12/2010 11:01:01
Hi . I am looking for a suitable design and available castings for a Welsh narrow gauge preserved  railway locomotive. I know about Dolgoch from Reeves. Conway, Charles, Lilla, Edward Thomas from Blackgates but no others.  Any suggestions.  Thanks, Nipper 
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
TRANSWAVE Converters
Meridienne oct 2019
Ausee.com.au
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
Advertise With Us
Eccentric Engineering
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest