By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for JohnF

Here is a list of all the postings JohnF has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Need help with meddling pillar drill.
15/09/2019 11:47:58

Is the motor a capacitor start? Does the motor buzz when power is supplied -- if so it may be the capacitor, I am no electrician and there will be others with the expertise along soon I guess !

Also why not plug the drill direct into a wall socket the cutting out the extension.

John

Edited By JohnF on 15/09/2019 11:49:01

Thread: Just bought an ML7, what should i do first?
15/09/2019 11:33:58

Shaun, for an oil gun have a look here **LINK** I have two of these and they work very well, not 100% leakproof but very close, i also have the Myford "leakproof" model and mine leaks far worse then the cheapo listed here !

Regarding the bed re-grind by an engine re-builder a pal of mind did that for the surface then sorted the sides of the ways by hand with a bit out of the box thinking and it worked very well.

See your messages Cheers John

Good luck with the rebuild

Thread: Petrol Gen for 7 1/4 locomotive
14/09/2019 23:46:22

Bump

Thread: drillling bronze
13/09/2019 11:37:47

Which bronze ? It can make a difference but assuming Phosphor Bronze --

Grind your drill slightly incorrectly i.e.so it cuts oversize by a tiny amount by removing a small amount from one side of the point this means generally that only one side of the drill is cutting thus pushing it away from the other side and this stops it grabbing !

Use plenty of cutting oil or suds, it is very different to brass - don't blunt your drill or reduce the rake

John

PS how deep is the tapped hole ?

Edited By JohnF on 13/09/2019 11:39:00

Thread: Talisman traction engine
13/09/2019 09:02:12

I thought this might interest the steam buffs, it is a new build full size Fowler traction engine built in Cumbria and there is an open weekend next week.

**LINK**

For anyone visiting it’s easy access off the A590 also close by there is the Lakeside railway and the Vintage car museum both beside the A590

cheers John

Thread: Diamond wheel grade for T&C grinding
10/09/2019 18:52:15

Martin, Some info here on a previous post **LINK** worth typing just Diamond into the forum search

John

Thread: Metal Saw
08/09/2019 14:30:29

Another link to similar question **LINK**

John

Thread: New ML7 chuck with reversible jaws
07/09/2019 22:14:01

Kevin have a look at this thread on the same subject **LINK** all the info is still pertinent to your question.

However as a matter of interest a pal who has an 1st generation Super 7 which he re-furbished, very successfully, asked me about regrinding the chuck jaws - well the chuck was in a sorry state and IMO would never have been very good so ho bought a Sanou 100mm 4" at a very reasonable price and it was indeed excellent for the price. But it is still well worth considering a purchase from one of the advertisers on here so if there is a problem you will undoubtedly have the problem solved - not easy or even impossible from China !

Cheers John

Thread: Oil gun information requested
07/09/2019 22:01:40

Gareth, have a look at this one from Press Parts **LINK** I have one for oil and it works well with only minimum leakage --- I don't think there is a totally leak proof oil gun ???? but this is far better than another I have, well branded much more expensive than this as well.

John

Thread: Hex Silver Steel/Tool Steel ??
22/08/2019 14:32:18

Christopher J , not sure which side of the pond you are but assuming Britain for small quantities of metals try M-machine metals **LINK** and click on the catalogue -- no connection other than a satisfied customer and there are several other companies offering a similar service.

Ebay metals may well be OK and i have purchased from there but i alway look at the company if possible otherwise you may not get what it says on the tin !

Might be an idea to add your location to your profile on the forum.

Regards John

Thread: LED Dimming
20/08/2019 19:22:57

Hi Vic, I have LED downlight's with a dimmer switch and they work fine, originally they were 12v Halogen lamps and i was intending to upgrade to LED lamps but very recently had some problems with 3 units that were around 9 years old so decided to dump the lot and fit new 240v LED units from CEF and the also work perfectly.

John

Thread: Tempering Rivet Snaps
20/08/2019 11:12:26

Hi Nick, never made any of these but used a lot of SS for tools cutters etc personally I would harden in oil, nice cherry red, clean up and degrease, final clean with fine new emery then temper to a dark straw in subdued DAYLIGHT -- artificial light gives a false colour. This should be hard enough to resist wear but tough enough to withstand shock.

John

Thread: Hello from Northampton
15/08/2019 15:34:18

Welcome Jim, lots of advice and opinions on here all you need do is ask and someone will be along with an answer whatever the subject. Nice choice of machines as well.

Regards John

Thread: Meddings M4 Spring
15/08/2019 15:31:03

Jim -- its cheap just buy it ! You can guarantee it WILL fit and it will last for a long time, fantastic drill whether its a simple belt drive or the two speed gearbox plus belt drive both are excellent machines

I refurbed one I purchased, 2 speed box some years ago with new bearings a large tufnell gear and the spring.

John

Thread: Metal Cutting Power Saw
15/08/2019 11:25:39

Ron, here is a photo of my Femi with the table attachment, I bought mine but you can easily fabricate one. Plus one for the wedge and weight if its a long cut and more so if you have several cuts !

fullsizeoutput_494c.jpeg

Thread: Home built trailer
14/08/2019 20:09:38

Hmm! been following this with interest and its got me wondering is this legislation retrospective ? That's to say I have an 8' x 4' home built trailer, built some 30 + years ago using a small modified caravan chassis as the base. I think the rating plate was around 14cwt ???

Should it be tested/approved since it was built before any of this legislation came into force.

It has served me well and carried many tons of material & a few machines, its been re-boarded several times and lighting, sides and strap anchor points etc upgraded. At the moment due for another refurb this winter - its very busy right now !

Comments please ---- John

Thread: Jet Washer Nozzle
13/08/2019 22:19:32

Well today decided to clean up the stone flags so out with the power washer, guess what the rotating nozzle did not work -- tried the WD but no luck so carried on with the standard nozzle. Power washing gives lots of thinking time ! After a while my thoughts were its been stood idle since last year so the brass or metal part may have corroded ??

Anyway I have some thick sticky oil actually Shell Tonor R, sadly no longer available in this form but thats another story. I decided to give the nozzle a squirt the theory being a thick oil would offer more support on the bearing surface the result was it worked fine.

It ran for a considerable time then went wonky again which is not unusual but a quick shot of WD and of we go again job done !

Hope this may be useful to others

John

Thread: electric paint sprayers
10/08/2019 23:54:53

Depends on the spray gun, I have used one with good success, still have it and it was made by Wagner has a carbide pump and the pressure is high with very good atomisation. Mine is around 50 years old and the others available the time were Burgess which were by comparison pretty hopeless !

I have sprayed bike tanks, frame's, cars [cellulose] & walls [emulsion paint] all successful but how the modern units are by comparison I have no idea. The one big difference was the spray pattern is round only unlike air powered guns which can be either round or fan pattern.

John

Thread: Posilock Chuck
10/08/2019 14:55:46

Lainchy, Although not so likely on the smaller machines due to small cuts it is possible when side cutting - using the side of the milling cutter or cutting a large depth of cut for the spiral to draw the cutter out of a say an ER or similar collet, this will not happen with a screw shank cutter in a Clarkson or Posilock chuck.

This problem will usually manifest itself when using larger cutters 1/2" and above, it rarely happens with small cutters. I have both systems but mostly use my ER chuck unless it is necessary because of the operation in hand.

John

Thread: Home built trailer
06/08/2019 21:09:16
Posted by George Clarihew on 06/08/2019 20:22:56:

Presume driver is old enough to have a driving licence that covers towing.

Son and heir was towing 12 ton trailers when 16 years old at work (farming) but could not tow a wheelbarrow sized trailer behind his car as he had not done a towing test to get the necessary category added to his licence.

Yes a little crazy ! My Grandson was the same had to take a trailer test to tow with anything other than a tractor -- cost him around £600 for the "training" !!

John

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
Advertise With Us
Meridienne Sept 2019
Warco
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest