By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for JohnF

Here is a list of all the postings JohnF has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: t-bar material advice
11/10/2021 10:28:03

Colin, Niels suggestion is a wise one but I would suggest either EN19 or EN24T as a material for your Tommy bar

John

Thread: EMCO FB2 Head Unit
07/10/2021 19:37:20

Have a look here for an operators manual **LINK**

If you want a parts list that may also be there if you search the files or I have one in pdf - message me with your email if you would like it

John

07/10/2021 17:47:06

I would suggest Power Capacitors in Birmingham **LINK** for a replacement unit, no connection other than a satisfied customer.

John

Thread: Bronze or brass
04/10/2021 20:43:03

My guess is Gun Metal which is in the Bronze family of copper alloys -- only a guess but the colour and un-machined surface looks like GM to me

John

Thread: I need to cut chamfers into x64 pieces of mild steel - any advice?
28/09/2021 20:21:06

A bit late to the party and have not read all the posts but here are a few photo's of a jig I made many years ago to manufacture small dovetail pieces with a 60* angle but you could make one to do 45* in a similar form, I just mounted it in the lathe and took a facing cut, there is a sample I cut tonight to show the result -- I did not have a mill at the time i made this but if I was doing what your early photos show I would make a jig to hold several pieces and in a vice on the mill and use a standard endmill. John

6d8a142b-2796-4e9d-ad9a-009f78efb0fc.jpeg

a5e0ebf6-dcb3-4dd0-95cf-d3599bb77326.jpeg

3540a29c-07f1-42b0-9fae-b01a15bc9888.jpeg

462c5727-30a2-4874-ad82-c36516f197c8.jpeg

Thread: Annealing and tempering steel
24/09/2021 09:55:41

Andrew try putting pyrometer or temperature control in the search box there are some things that may be of interest. I find single words or 2 words in the search bring better results -- don't tell it too much !

John

Thread: Hello from North Yorkshire
24/09/2021 09:42:13

Hello John and welcome to the forum, where in N Yorks are you hiding ? Not a bad idea to fill in a few details in your profile so in the future if needs be members can look to see where you are and what you're interested in. Steam engines are not my forte but as Chris says there are lots of members who build these.

Thread: Ideas on how to make up a G-Clamp Swivel Foot
19/09/2021 09:45:09

I made several for a vice clamp, used a form tool to make the ball then made foot to suit with a drilled , nothing fancy. Do make sure the “neck” on the ball is long enough so the foot does not foul when it swivels. To hold in place close the clamp onto a suitable piece of material then with the material held in the bench vice peen over the end of the foot. I just gave a couple of strikes with a punch on either side but you can work around the top for abetted looking finish

John

35f5b0ea-563d-482f-9b64-e5449dc38186.jpeg

Thread: Myford ML7 accuracy
13/09/2021 10:59:52

Cal, I think the question you need to answer is what tolerance do you want or need to work too ?

+/- 0.0005" +/- 0.001" +/- 0.010" or ????

The next question is your budget ?

Then decide what size of work you want to do, I see several of the small machines mentioned which are fine if your work is very small but you are of course limited to their capacity whereas a larger machine will give you more scope

Hope this helps

John

Thread: New Member, New Lathe. Smart & Brown Model A (Mk 1/1.5?)
06/09/2021 14:48:42

Jinks, Have a look here on the S & B group **LINK**

May find something of interest or help

John

Thread: Marking steel
02/09/2021 00:11:24

Plus one for Duncan's observation ! I simply cannot understand why Youtube would allow this to remain on file, someone will surely end up with serious injury or worse.

Thread: Help with choosing thread cutting inserts
30/08/2021 13:23:55

Dave aka SoD making an undercut at the shoulder is industry standard but doing it with a parting tool will potentially reduce the strength due to sharp corners creating stress points. Undercut tools as a general rule would be 1-1/2 x pitch wide with a radius on the corner adjacent to the shoulder and the "thread side" having an angle equal to half the thread angle or 45 deg.

John

Thread: A SIMPLE POINT !
27/08/2021 20:22:41

I concur 100 % with Howard Lewis above --- must have gone to the same school !

John

Thread: Reaming a hole
20/08/2021 14:20:00

The old "yardstick" for the drill size was reamer/hole size less 1/64" indeed the bushes available for jigs and fixtures from the main supplier for toolroom accessories for jigs, PTU [Production Unit Tool] were all to this specification.

However nothing is cast in stone you can be flexible depending on material, lubrication and not least what you have available ! Within sensible limits of course.

John

Thread: Dickson QCTP on a mini lathe
17/08/2021 22:17:09

Hi Martin, I have an original Dickson Engineering installation leaflet and for the SO [Myford size] tool block it shows the optimum dimension of 7/8" form the lathe centre height to the top of the top slide and suggests 3/8' tool bits.

Unfortunately its a pdf document so cannot post on here. Hope this helps, if you want a copy of the pdf PM me with your email

John

Thread: Editing classified ads
15/08/2021 18:11:59

Or just click Classifieds on the black banner then on the right you will see , place an advert and manage my adverts which shows your adverts and you can edit it

Aha just seen Jason has already mentioned this !! 

Edited By JohnF on 15/08/2021 18:12:56

Thread: Clarkson Dedlock
05/08/2021 11:04:22

Hi Terry, Here is a drawing of the arbor you need, I think the arbor you have is an updated one but this one is easy to make -- more photo's in my albums; John

c6ba2fe4-bf02-4d89-a503-52d2de3573c3_1_201_a.jpeg

Thread: New Chuck wont screw on
02/08/2021 13:03:12

Something similar came up on another post relating to ER chucks, accuracy TIR and fit. I had a problem with an ER chuck purchased from and made in Europe -- I eventually found out they were using UNF form threads instead of Whitworth form so I do wonder if some of the Far East product has the same problem ?

During my conversations with the producers of the ER chuck I acquired the correct thread tolerance dimensions for Go / No Go gauges for the "Myford" thread and made a GO gauge as close to these dimensions as possible with the equipment I have -- I am confident its close enough to the limits specified for practical purposes. I used a full form tip to make the gauge measuring over wires with an indicator micrometer.

The sizes were calculated as a favour to me by a UK gauge maker so I don't feel it would be right to publicise them, however if any forum members want them please PM me with an email address and I will pass them on.

Why any commercial company manufacturing a precision product would operate without the proper gauges is beyond belief !!

Another problem I have found with much of the imported Myford spindle tooling offered by suppliers is the register diameter on both male and female units is woefully outside the tolerance it needs to be to ensure TIR accuracy

Regards John

Photo of my gauge

Spindle thread GO gauge

Thread: Strange type in the Lates Posts ?
02/08/2021 12:21:59

Thank you one and all ! I have been otherwise engaged since my original post but at least its now explained -- I'll live with it !!

Regards John

24/07/2021 23:18:52

Anyone noticed the strange type appearing in the RHS Latest Posts column ?

The actual title appear correct but see the examples pasted below of the latest post column

New Chuck won’t screw on

Centre Drill Leaves a “Pip†- Sometimes

John

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
BOLDON
walker midge
emcomachinetools
JD Metals
rapid Direct
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest