By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for JohnF

Here is a list of all the postings JohnF has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Oxy hydrogen torches
22/05/2019 15:52:14

John R, Mapp gas is a little hotter than propane but the real difference is whether is gas/air or gas/oxygen ! Its the oxygen that makes the flame considerably hotter plus of course the fuel gas burn temperature,

It also depends on the work size/mass

I have Oxy/Acet and for small work purchased a Smiths little torch , not the genuine one but a clone, it works well for my application

John

Thread: Help a beautiful lady
19/05/2019 21:06:04

Try Google "shoemakers Nottingham UK" try some of the older names, Barkers, Loake, Tricker etc even if they don't show anything contact them and ask -- you may find them helpful. Worth a try ?

John

Thread: Romulus Boiler Details
19/05/2019 13:49:58

Bump

Thread: Harrison's Equipment
18/05/2019 11:08:37

Its some years ago --- quite some years ! But I visited Greenwich and all Harrisons clocks were on display and running, defiantly worth a visit.

I believe Mr Harrison used several watch & clock makers of the time to assist with making certain parts for has clocks and the final clock was a "giant" size pocket watch design. The powers of the time in the Admiralty resisted him at almost every turn and did not want to accept such humble man could solve the problem -- but he did !

John

Thread: Source of Machined Nuts
17/05/2019 23:34:00

Are these chaps any good ? Accupro, **LINK**

Thread: Myford Clutch Lever fouls the Belt Cover
15/05/2019 22:54:53

My S7 is approx 1978 purchased new, I also have a short bed model about the same vintage, both are grey and have power cross feed. A few years ago I had one of 1960 vintage. On all machines the clutch engaged, spindle running the handle sits at 6 O'clock and moves to the right - anticlockwise to disengage the spindle. In either position the bely guard can be opened without fouling the clutch handle.

IMO there is probably something wrong on any machine that is not operating in this manner, I have never had occasion to dismantle the clutch assembly however looking at the manual cross section for clutch adjustment it may be that the spindle with flats that operate the push rod may be screwed into the handle unit and thus able to move ? If this was the case then the effect would be that on Mike D's lathe.

John

PS from a safety point of view I would advise not opening the cover with the spindle running

Edited By JohnF on 15/05/2019 23:00:51

Thread: Door knob collar
15/05/2019 19:41:28

Plasma, depends on the size of lathe you have but assuming a smaller machine I would cut off suitable size piece from the bar stock, use soft jaws bored to accept the billets then use a form tool to make the large rad -- probably face up and centre drill to use the tail stock for added support. Then drill and bore the hole and recess - ensure recess is a consistent size.

Next make an expanding mandrel to mount in the chuck so that you can mount the part on the larger recess then face up and produce a small - say .010" - .-020" recess to make sure it sits flat on the wood. The rest is easy - holes etc

Hope this helps John

Faster typer's than me !

Edited By JohnF on 15/05/2019 19:42:55

Thread: Building a Belt grinder - advice please.
01/05/2019 18:08:58

Peter -- I have not read all the posts but came upon this by chance, maybe its of interest ? **LINK**

John

Thread: Gib on abwood
01/05/2019 17:38:32

Well not sure what happen here -- spotted the post in "more latest posts" link today and it said 0 replies ??? hence my post and questions which are of course already answered a few days back -- wonder why it said zero posts/answers ??

John

01/05/2019 12:36:51

What type of screws are they? Allen, slotted head or ????

After removing the lock nuts there are various things to try but it does depend on the screw type. If all fails drill out and re-tap the holes.

John

Edited By JasonB on 01/05/2019 13:27:23

Thread: Threading 1/8 stainless steel
30/04/2019 19:32:31

You will do better with a a high quality ground thread HSS die IMO.

John

Thread: Lathe Mill Combo setup
28/04/2019 17:21:45
Posted by Owen S on 28/04/2019 11:13:21:

Sorry I don't know what " hand wheel on the lead screw - far RDS of the machine" means.

Sorry yes RDS = RHS a gremlin or typo error

Clive H -- The layout has a resemblance to the Emco Super 11 but that has a T-slotted cross slide as standard but you can purchase a larger unit similar to the Myford offering

I reckon Owen needs to search the suppliers and find a suitable unit to convert to fit his machine, similar to the link I posted but a larger one would be better IMO.

John

28/04/2019 11:07:18

Is there a hand wheel on the lead screw - far RDS of the machine, this would enable movement of the carriage when the half nuts are engaged.

28/04/2019 10:52:07

Owen, probably worth removing the top slide -- the one with the 4-way tool box on it and post a photo of the cross slide then we can see what's there, it does look as though a sub table will be needed

John

28/04/2019 10:10:07

Owen, there seems to be 4 tapped holes in the cross slide which would indicate provision for fixing a T-slotted sub table similar to the Myford example, you could possibly use one of these suitably modified to fit your machine. The make of you machine is not evident but its likely if you can find this you may well be able to purchase a dedicated one. Maybe search the usual suppliers for a similar item e.g. **LINK**

For packing tools to height I would recumbent steel shim and if you can find any the steel banding used for holding goods to pallets etc is useful but much of it is now plastic.

Is there a makers name anywhere?

John

Thread: "Screwing" a car round a corner!
27/04/2019 16:16:34

Peter, yes same era young and somewhat silly or maybe over enthusiastic ! and yes when cornering you would slap the power on in a rear wheel car to "push" you round the bend, conversely when front wheel drive aka mini etc came along best to accelerate towards the corner then take the power off ! Not dissimilar to a "chariot"--- motor bike and sidecar, left hander power on, right-hander power off. More sense now !!!

John

Thread: Burgess Sprayit Compressor
24/04/2019 08:40:11

Some photos on this link while it lasts , may be of some use ?

**LINK**

Thread: Help identifying Swiss files
24/04/2019 08:25:50

Hmm! Very interesting Ketan, I assume from what you say the Swiss pattern are made to a higher standard than the standard needle files ? Price looks good I’ll try some next time I need files.

regards John

23/04/2019 11:28:27

I think you will find this is a schematic diagram to show only the shape of the file and which edges have file teeth on, as you rightly say where there are no hashes its a safe edge.

Most of my needle files are Grobert [Vallorbe] and are double cut, recently I have tried Bacho Swiss made needle files and find them very good also less expensive then Grobert.

John

Thread: #10 stock?
23/04/2019 11:03:13

Agreed Mike—- Bugbear 0.003” interference between the steel pin and wood is nothing, it will fit easily, differently story if the cupboard carcass was metal !

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Allendale May 19
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Allendale Electronics
TRANSWAVE Converters
Sarik
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest