By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for JohnF

Here is a list of all the postings JohnF has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: How to make a spring
07/05/2021 11:28:06
Posted by BOB BLACKSHAW on 07/05/2021 09:43:25:

Thanks for the replies chap,

Correct about gauge plate, the spring took me some time to cut out of solid, red heat to oil, then a very dark straw., the spring shattered. This was made before recent advice not to make out of gauge plate I brought some annealed spring steel, just over cherry red then in oil and then just starting to go blue then in water. the spring seemed ok , I bent it and the spring returned to size. I put the spring in the gun, and half hour later the spring broke in half under no pressure,the spring broke on the base where no bend was made.Obviously getting the correct temperature which I'm not doing,

Bob

Hi Bob clearly too hard ! Going just blue will be around 300* C you need to be above that at around 310 or 320*C even up to 340*C look a Neil’s colour chart. I temper my springs in a muffle furnace, another point why quench in water after tempering ? The wrong medium use oil. Also do you know for sure what the material is ? rather than spring steel, it make a considerable difference, you need EN45 or EN47 45 is best and traditionally used for gun springs. See you PM’s

John

Thread: Chinese Depth micrometer rods
27/04/2021 16:30:50

Gazz, was just digging around and came upon this by chance, it may solve your problem ?

https://www.engineering-gauge.co.uk/products/digital-depth-micrometers

John

Thread: Laptop with a SD card slot
13/04/2021 11:06:52
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 13/04/2021 10:18:33:

Once upon a time ... the customer was always right

MichaelG.

Ah yes Michael I always had this in mind when offering advice from years of experience -- " The customer is always right, sometimes a little misguided sometimes downright stupid but always right ! "

John

Edit PS I also think its a retrograde step to remove the SD slots etc -- who wants a heap of accessories when they can be built in ?

Edited By JohnF on 13/04/2021 11:07:30

Edited By JohnF on 13/04/2021 11:09:08

Thread: How to make a spring
11/04/2021 12:33:12

Bob, don't waste your time with Gauge plate, completely the wrong material, get some EN45 Spring steel, you defiantly must forge the spring when red hot, you need to keep a small gap, say 0.010" at the heal of the bend. File to shape and ensure the two legs have an even taper. Harden from red heat in oil and temper to a little over 300*C I usually go for 320*C

Good luck John

Thread: Help with lathe motor capacitor
21/03/2021 21:03:01

Give the chaps at Power Capacitors / Trnaswave in Birmingham a call I'm sure they will advise, I had a problem with a compressor motor the makers agent wanted an eye watering sum for a replacement I think PCap charged about a fiver !

John

Thread: Cellular Plastic Shed Base - Advice Please
21/03/2021 19:13:09

Plus one for DC31k’s comments, indeed the write up in the link is not clear whether the shed shown has a wooden floor or not !

As a way to create a plinth to erect a shed with a floor set on bearers I think this system would work well but not for a shed without a floor thus this being the floor .

John

Thread: tumble weed at 'getwoodworking.com?
10/03/2021 11:32:20

Jon, I am a member also but rarely visit due to lack of activity compared to here !

Members are helpful but it takes considerable time for replies to appear and sometimes never, I agree one would expect much more activity with the popularity of woodwork.

There is another site UKworkshop that seems as prolific as this, it covers a multitude of activities but leans towards woodwork.

John

Thread: Problems using Clickspring's technique for Blueing steel
26/02/2021 21:38:29

It’s really down to cleanliness and years of practice and even then it can and does go wrong and you have to start over. Also always watch the colours in daylight not in artificial light.

As far as cold Gun blue it’s fine for small parts but it will not give you the same colour as the heat oxide blue. Cold “blue” is nearer t o black.

John

Thread: A milling anomaly
24/02/2021 19:48:32

Hi Tug, well my two pennyworth -- it should not and cannot happen !!! but it did and I'm sure you will have checked my thoughts but they are that there are 3 possibilities where it could. 1, the centre in the cutter has failed/broken 2, the thread on the cutter has stripped 3, the thread in the collet has stripped. Any of these would prevent the auto tightening feature from working. Plus as you said the nut was extra tight as it would be due to cutting forces but you could remove the cutter by hand so the collet was not gripping -- both of which point to one of the above failures.

Hope this may help

John

Edited By JohnF on 24/02/2021 19:49:05

Thread: Wheel for model jeep
22/02/2021 10:20:57

Don’t want to hijack the thread but thought this may be of interest? My Dad brought it home after demob at the end of WW2 (1946) it was made/cast by the chap who’s family he was billeted with in Holland at some point. I repainted it for my son about 45 years ago and re-made the “roof” bars the canvas top has since gone missing, wife made that!

more pics in my “miscellaneous pics” file if your interested

aa8c43cc-402e-4dae-8f88-ceb0984f9637.jpeg

Thread: Should it be bent? Meddings Content
22/02/2021 10:01:58

Woodlikesbikes see your messages

20/02/2021 19:51:21

I would say no defiantly not and if as you said the old motor was damaged then your supposition of the machine being dropped or ?? is more than likely.

Personally I would remove the mounting plate and straighten the two adjustment bars. I actually have an MF4 with the same adjustment system and it is at 90deg as one would expect

John

Thread: You think you have trouble starting your car on a cold morning?
16/02/2021 19:01:46

Should have had a lamp under the sump !

Thread: BSW 1 1/2 x 6
15/02/2021 10:38:23

I would forget taps and go down Larry's route making a boring bar with a HSS tool ground to the thread form and dependant on the capabilities of your machine I would consider setting the top slide to 27 1/2 deg thus reducing cutting forces on a large thread.

The first thing i would make is a gauge to ensure your new back plate will fit your wood lathe spindle, To do this measure the spindle using the 3 wire system then make a male duplicate to the same dimension over the wires the as long as that fits your female backplate thread you know it will fit the spindle.

John

Thread: Facebook's Portal & Privacy
15/02/2021 10:12:31

Hi Peter,

Only my opinion of course but I would not have any of this type of devise, Alexia, the Google one etc in my home, from what little I understand - not a lot - they all snoop and learn "far ower much"

I don't even allow Facebook to have access to my photos, I did but then found they had put together a compilation of my photos on my page !!!! switched it off henceforth. I no longer use Google as a search engine I use DuckDuckgo with no tracking.

Maybe I'm being paranoid but I just do not trust this type of technology.

John

Thread: Does anyone recognise these centres ?
09/02/2021 13:15:14

They do look a little larger than I have seen but possibly for a Toolmakers microscope?

Thread: Amadeal end mill sharpener
07/02/2021 12:42:46

Mark B, I purchased one of these many years ago from what is now MSC — heap of junk IMO I returned it for a refund. The support for the main spindle consisted of Allen screws with a ball bearing inserted in the end, general build quality and tolerance was poor.

The concept is good if you have a surface grinder but treat the unit as a set of castings and rework everything plus a redesign of the support system !

Only my opinion of course and it’s possible the quality may have improved over 25 years since my purchase?

John

Thread: Jacobs Chuck
01/02/2021 18:38:04

Lots of info on the web just search “Jacobs Chuck disassembly” I have no t looked at any but lots of videos etc etc.

Never tried this but regarding the slippage of the outer ring maybe reassembly with Loctite May solve the problem? Any thoughts anyone !

John

Thread: Collet runout. Is this normal
28/01/2021 21:33:37

JDS said

When I measured a ground 6mm pin the the collet I am getting 0.0015 runout right at the collet face and 0.0035 about 50mm out from the collet.

—————-==—————

In a later post you say the other larger collets are pretty much the same - are you saying they all have .0015 at face then .0035 at 2” or50mm from the collet ?

If this is so it would suggest the collet location taper is at an angle to the machine spindle axis ? To prove this Thor’s suggestion will assist.

John

28/01/2021 16:02:45

I don't know the tolerance for the DIN spec you quote but I would be disappointed and expect better results. However collets are made in varying qualities thus giving varying results.

The first thing I would do is repeat the test with several other collets using nominal sizes, 8, 10mm etc, if the same result is shown then suspect the chuck, if results are better then you may well have a duff 6mm collet.

John

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
cowells
emcomachinetools
JD Metals
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest