By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Stub Mandrel

Here is a list of all the postings Stub Mandrel has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: forming a thread on piano wire
16/01/2014 20:52:14

Have you tried annealing the end of the rod and letting it cool as slowly as possible?

Neil

Thread: Hick & Son Crank Overhead Engine
16/01/2014 20:45:58

My problem is I can break 1mm cutters by looking at them.

Neil

Thread: Hot bandsaw........
16/01/2014 14:44:58

I've bought mine from **LINK** since the chap moved from Dragon Saws. Tell hime what saw you have and what you do with it.

Roy, my version has a centrifugal fan and it's meant to blow air along the sides of the motor, not through it. The motor is a sealed unit and the coils are in close thermal contact with the case, as described in another recent thread. There should be a cover for the fan that directs the draught.

Neil

Thread: Cheap and safe machine worklight
15/01/2014 21:15:07

As this thread has come back to life, I'll mention that a month or two ago I bought four GU10 LED bulbs from an EBAY seller for about £10. I chose cool white of about 4W. My wife hated them, and said tehy were much less bright so I put the 35W standard bulbs back in.

As is the way of these things, two of the 35 watters went together and I replaced them with LED ones. It became apparent that they are actually much brighter in terms of illuminating the room, they just don't have the concentrated bright narrow beam of the halogen bulbs.

As the halogens blow we are now up to four LEDs again and everyone now prefers the quality for the light, which seems better suited to a kitchen.

Because of the low heat from these bulbs they would be ideal in the workshop.

When the bulbs in our bedroom start to fail I shall get dimmable warm white LEDs to replace them.

Final thought - halogen GU10's seem to last a lot longer when run off a dimmer, but conventional bulbs seem to suffer when used with one.

Neil

Thread: Open thoughts
15/01/2014 20:57:50

I'm reasonably well qualified - but not in engineering

I'm an ecologist, and I learned most of my real 'ecology' out looking at the real thing and working with land managers after I left college. IMy first job was pure manual work (rhody bashing at Ynys Hir). I learned an awful lot about everything from how to dig holes without knackering myself, to how strip and sharpen a chainsaw from my workmates who,if they had any qualifications, never told me about them.

On the other hand two of the most brilliant, insightful and inspiring ecologists I know are both professors.

Neil

Thread: What did you do today? (2014)
15/01/2014 20:12:31

Neat aren't they, Alan.

Lovely dial Martin.

Neil

Thread: Hot bandsaw........
15/01/2014 17:22:32

I use my saw on the middle speed and it cuts through 3 1/4" round in about 10-15 minutes at a guess. this leaves it warm but not overheated and I always let it cool before the next cut is tackling big jobs.

Possibly the blade is a cheap carbon one and its blunted. Are you running it at the top speed?

Neil

Thread: Federation Boiler certificates UK
15/01/2014 17:19:49

Just for the record it's Southern Federation and Northern Association. Location of a club is not a reliable indication of which they affiliate to.

Neil

Thread: Lathe Cross Slide Backlash
15/01/2014 16:09:52

Making a feed nut is tricky because acme threads are difficult to cut (due to the large cross section of metal that needs to be removed) particularly in bronze. If you do anything less than a spot-on job you will end up with a worse nut than the original worn one. Also, you may well find there is more wear in the screw than the nut (usually around the middle) - a good bearing bronze is very resistant to wear.

10 thou backlash in the cross slide is rarely a serious problem - it will always be there and be relatively constant. Don't worry too much unless you go CNC, as 99 times out of 100 you will be feeding in only one direction. You should check the fixings for the feednut though as if it is wobbly it will affect accuracy less predictably. Sort this. have a little practice and see if you still need to replace the feednut.

Post a picture of the whole lathe and someone will identify it for you - that will make finding sources of a replacement easier.

Neil

Thread: Spirit-fired Tich Locomotive
15/01/2014 16:00:00

>bump<

Hi Mark.

Coal fired boilers use the blower to get a forced draught to really get the boiler going. I don't know how meths would respond to a blower - do you have one and have you tried using it?

Neil

Thread: Hick & Son Crank Overhead Engine
15/01/2014 14:49:50

Hi Peter,

For Norden I had to make similar slots 1/16" wide. That extra 1/64" seems a lot!

The slots will be hidden so they don't need to be perfect, although the end the key bears against needs to be correctly placed.

After I finished my engine someone suggested drilling axially down from the curved surface for the bearing. This can remove a significant proportion of the metal the slot has to cross, and at the centre, the hardest part to reach.

Now chain drill the slot with a 3/64" drill as accurately as you can. It may be worth drilling from each side in turn rather than trying to do so in one go.

Now cross your fingers and using a 1mm end mill as fast as it will go and taking cuts of no more than 0.4mm or less gently remove the metal between the chain drilled holes.

If you are lucky the tip of a flat but pointed (does that make sense?) diamond file will enter the slot and let you tidy it up.

An alternative rout would be to make a chisel from gauge plate or silver steel with a short tip 3/64" thick and 3/32" broad. Bevel it so the cutting edge is at one, narrow end. A second with the cutting edge on a long side could be useful.

You can either use this by hand to chip away between the drill holes or, if made on the end of a silver steel rod, you may be able to use in the mill with a gentle up down planing action.

Final thought, as 1mm end mills snap very easily, an alternative would be to file a d-bit shape on the end of 3/64" silver steel, just for about 3mm. Make one at each end of the rod so you have a spare immediately to hand. This will be slower, but if carefully tempered will probably outlast and end mill (which will probably be far too long in the fluted section, and therefore too fragile).

Neil

P.S. I'm sure someone else will suggest spark erosion, and that's probably the best solution of all, but requires making a whole new machine.

Thread: Cutting a wedge
14/01/2014 21:21:11

My understanding is that the pyramids were made using these tools -but made of bronze.

Neil

Thread: Mill refusing to power up
14/01/2014 21:18:50

Just worth pointing out that my understanding is that the KB boards are marketed as 'made in the USA' ,. although many importers fit them to Chinese machines.

I have had two failures of Chinese speed controllers, neither being the fault of the board itself. One was shorted out by a loose controller box screw and replaced under warranty, the other was shorted out by along thread of swarf that reached all the way into the controller box.

Neil

Thread: Bare essentials
14/01/2014 20:59:59

Twisty (a reinvention of an earlier engine also featured in ME) was pretty simple. A rod that serves as piton and valve reciprocates in a cylinder, with a flywheel operated by a peg in the cylinder shaft so the piston twists as it reciprocates.

Neil

14/01/2014 20:43:31

> 22 Tonnes of bricks, actually

Dare I ask what you read...?

Neil

Thread: To Restore or not to Restore - how far do you go
14/01/2014 16:39:29

I've used Humbrol Brunswick Green on a 'Gibraltar style' lathe toolpost and it's still in good nick after 10 years occasional use.

I also used it for my Stuart No. 10V and after being steamed and getting oily it has lost some of its brightness but still looks OK after about 14 years.

Neil

14/01/2014 13:36:44

Hi Michael,

Just as common sense and wisdom don't correlate with intelligence

I'm sure there's some sort of 'mechanical' intelligence - a sympathy with materials that engineers, woodcarvers, surgeons and all sorts of craftspeople have that sets them apart from us mere mortals.

Neil

Thread: Warco 1224
13/01/2014 21:44:59

Hi David,

Check out this: Grizzly 12x24 Lathe

I can't find the manual though

Neil

Thread: Virtual modelling can have place here ?
13/01/2014 21:07:46

Norman! If I didn't have a bath where would I read ME and MEW.?

I would also like to think we are adding value/saleability to the house - and as a family I don't think my wife and I we could bear a house without a bath, although the youngsters shower 99 time out of 100.

Oh, and as the dog gets dirty underneath, it's easier to bath it than shower it!

Neil

Thread: How much swarf?
13/01/2014 19:00:12

I'll settle for 1 out of 3 given that the only maths I did was comparing magnitudes

Neil

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
cowells
Ausee.com.au
emcomachinetools
Tee London LMES 6th Dec
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest