By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Trevorh

Here is a list of all the postings Trevorh has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Stirling Engine : Laura
26/11/2015 15:07:22

Hi John

you should find that the die holders are sized to allow the split die to be opened up to give an oversize OD of thread when it comes into contact with the holder and subsequently when fully closed down it should give an undersize thread when fully closed

In its natural shape it should be ok for most applications

I personally have never had one break on me whilst it was in the correct holder

you are of course quite right about some of the tolerances mentioned but in general I find that if I stay away from the imported holders then the tolerances are pretty good, same goes for the dies, as long as they are not the cheap cast variety then all is good

cheers

Thread: MEM Website
26/11/2015 14:05:45

Hi Chris

I just tried on my Ipad and all seems ok but did get an ad trying to get me to use it "to better read" MEM

after closing it all works fine

cheers

Thread: Stirling Engine : Laura
26/11/2015 12:55:15

Hi John

The reason I mentioned the above method was due to the photo he has showing that its a split die which means the holder will have sufficient room to be expanded otherwise the 3 screws would be redundant

cheers

Edited By Trevorh on 26/11/2015 12:56:07

26/11/2015 11:57:43

Brian,

all you need to do is back off the 2 outside screws on the holder and screw in the middle one to its fullest then using a pin punch knock the remains of the screw out

it wont damage anything and no need to buy a new die

Make sure its supported underneath when you drift it out

done it plenty of times myself

Trevor

Thread: MEM Website
26/11/2015 10:26:49

Hi Chris

I just went on no problems

cheers

Thread: My little engine (continued)
12/11/2015 16:09:27

Hi Garry,

I dont post too much on here but mark my words when I say that your thread is the most interesting on here by far as regards to how to actually build an engine, warts an all

I have been following your thread since the very first and have found it to be very instructive on how to make the tools, hold the parts, Marking and actually machining

as a relative beginner myself, it has offered me so many different thoughts on what I try myself.

If you must go to another forum would you say where so I can follow, as previously stated - there are always idiots on all forums and it appears at the moment we have a more than average share of them

Hope you stay and at least finish the engine

cheers

Thread: Belt splicing tape
10/11/2015 10:10:45

Whilst I get some information for you I found this - as usual - on Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKbJBZ06-O4

he has used standard cross weave clear packing tape

cheers

10/11/2015 09:53:46

Hi Ian,

Its not hazardous just Industry strength and as usual not normally commercially availble

Example is that you can't purchase the adhesive tape used to fix your car dash board in place

its a similar tape

With regard to generic names - not really its a case of depending on the manufacturer they each apply a number or brand to it

3M uses numbers for ID, Advanced tapes (Leicester) use Alpha numeric and so on

I will see what I can get for you

Trevorh

Edited By Trevorh on 10/11/2015 09:54:00

Thread: Has anyone worked in Plastic Extrusion?
09/11/2015 12:45:08

Hi All

I still work in the blown film and cast extrusion side of the industry - i get to build the machines and try to run them, Mainly German made nowadays

Trevor

Thread: Belt splicing tape
09/11/2015 12:37:46

Hi Vic,

You will need a high impact cross weave tape, Not sure if its available to the consumer market, only reason I know is I work on the machines that have to unwind/rewind it into the rolls the rest of industry uses

Sorry its not much help

cheers

Thread: Screw cutting Advice
06/11/2015 14:03:24

Geoff, as John mentioned APT, not expensive and very quick delivery

well packaged as well - look for http://www.shop-apt.co.uk/threading-inserts.html

sorry but don't know how to do a "link"

cheers

05/11/2015 12:29:27

Hi James,

I have just started to use an insert to cut a LH thread (square) to make a lead screw for my tail stock and was very plesently surprised at how easy it was to achieve a good quality thread

The inserts are handed so be sure to get the correct one

a new convert to inserts - well for threading anyway

Trevor

Thread: Left Hand Trapezoidal Warco Lathe
05/11/2015 09:33:14

Just a quick update - the inserts arrived yesterday - purchased 2.0mm and 3.0mm mainly because I haven't decided if I want to stay original on the screw yet and will need to make a nut anyway to go with it

So mounted a 1" bar for practice and machining away from the chuck for just a short distance to see how things went I was pleasantly surprised at the first time results, it actually looked like a lead screw....

Then noticed that the pitch didn't quite look right - Note to self first check that the gearing is set to match the insert....DOH had it set for 2.0mm pitch and used the 3.0mm insert

But at least I know I can now cut a LH Trapazodial Thread - Take that Warco..

Now to practice some more before working on the actual replacement blank shaft I made earlier

Good call about the inserts

cheers

03/11/2015 10:10:05

Hi John,

Unfortunately I fell into the usual trap of not actually checking the parts until I needed them - just unpacked and stored, by the time I had use of them it was quite some time after the purchase of the the lathe.

I have since modified them to actually work now but as you state its not something i should have to do

Trevor

03/11/2015 09:39:33

Thanks Kwil, it will be a first on both accounts for me.

Ian, never thought of that and yes I use both types, typically when using a blacksmiths drill of say 20mm + ,the sleeve has the Tang

So I have actualy created the problem myself by lack of understanding, the tang is approx 20mm long and would definately be the cause of the ejecting early.....oh B*gger

cheers

03/11/2015 09:05:20

Valid points thanks,

Had a but of an issue with my supports that came with the lathe - see Warco Supports thread

I hope to be in a position this weekend to attempt to cut the thread

Just experimenting at making a hss tool until the inserts arrive

cheers

Edited By Trevorh on 03/11/2015 09:06:05

Edited By Trevorh on 03/11/2015 09:08:19

02/11/2015 16:29:37

Hi John

Actually they didn't but It is only 250mm long so I will just use a revolving centre to keep it true

cheers

02/11/2015 15:42:19

Hi John,

That looks like a 3rd approach and not too expensive

thank you for the information

I have just been looking on youtube and have found a couple of examples

Time to get organised and have a go

cheers

02/11/2015 14:17:21

Thank you all,

I think I am going to try to attack this on 2 fronts

1st is a cop out but the easiest - just found out warco have an open day this coming Saturday so will go and see if they have a new one available or at least check out the price of it

2nd I like the idea of being able to machine my own - so will have a go following the instructions in the link above and see how I get on

Thanks again for the comments and advice - depending on how bad I am at cutting the thread I may or may not let you know how I get on

cheers

02/11/2015 12:19:02

Hi ian,

This all came about firstly because as I mentioned earlier about the ejecting early but now I have a couple of jobs where I need the full 4" travel, I know I can just reset by moving the tail stock but it was originally capable of 4" travel so would like to get it back there

cheers

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
rapid Direct
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
walker midge
JD Metals
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest